PDA

View Full Version : Remember when...

thunderclap
09-15-2014, 08:15 AM
you could turn on SportsCenter on Monday morning and actually see the NFL highlights?

TheRef
09-15-2014, 08:21 AM
http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/Pepperidge+farm+remembers+pepperidge+farm+_c4f2c9a 531515812246f822a2ffc887e.jpg

MaxedOutMaroon
09-15-2014, 10:10 AM
You have no idea how much I hate sportscenter now. It's politics! I could flip on CNN or Fox News if I wanted that. It's flooded with Michael Sam, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, etc. and not in an athletic topic. That is news but not an entire sportscenter. I will say I enjoy talk shows on ESPN tho, like Cowherd, First Take, SVP and Russillo, because they spend a short time on politics and more time on debating and analyzing major topics in sports. But bring back the highlights and facts. Rant over.

FlabLoser
09-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Agree 100%. I stayed up late last night trying to see Boobie Dixon's highlights. Apparently ESPN quit running their NFL Primetime show of NFL highlights.

Sportscenter was on, but it was a mash up of baseball, soccer, politics, interviews, and a little bit of NFL. Hate Sportscenter. And I always have. It is ridiculous to have once show that tries to be everything to all sports. They should have sports specific shows and so viewers can watch the sports they like without having to sit through 75% of a show that mixes in others sports with the football highlights I'm trying to see.

I gave the NFL Network a try. They at least had an NFL highlight show. But it was kind of back & forth with stuff instead of showing highlights from everything.

I must say the NFL media does a remarkable job of sucking. And frankly, so does the NFL. Every Sunday, they'll air 3 games in your area and you'll like it!

MaxedOutMaroon
09-15-2014, 10:22 AM
I must say the NFL media does a remarkable job of sucking. And frankly, so does the NFL. Every Sunday, they'll air 3 games in your area and you'll like it!

I thought the same thing yesterday. Why do they only show 2 "local" NFL games at noon and 1 at 3:30? With college football, I can flip through at least 7 games throughout the whole day on Dish. Why not have an NFL game on one of the ESPN's or NFL Network.?

DudyDawg
09-15-2014, 10:23 AM
1). They do have sports specific shows. Baseball tonight, nfl live, nfl insiders, college football live, college football final, Espn FC, nba tonight. Those are on all day and off the top of my head.

2). Disagree about "politics". How often do they mention government and stuff like abortion or other political events that don't happen in sports

3). It's not politics, it's ratings. Just because there is something divisive doesn't make it political. You know why they keep talking about rice and Peterson? BC PEOPLE WATCH. When people watch sports center, they only get emotional when their teams highlight comes on. Everyone has an emotional reaction when ray rice domes his wife. It's a business, and they are running what people are watching. Look at numbers. They back it up. It's about RATINGS, not POLITICS. Big difference. That being said, some of their analysts, on a single person basis, get too political with these issues. But the network isn't talking about it because they want to be political or push an agenda. It's because people will watch

MaxedOutMaroon
09-15-2014, 10:34 AM
1). They do have sports specific shows. Baseball tonight, nfl live, nfl insiders, college football live, college football final, Espn FC, nba tonight. Those are on all day and off the top of my head.

2). Disagree about "politics". How often do they mention government and stuff

3). It's not politics, it's ratings. Just because there is something divisive doesn't make it political. You know why they keep talking about rice and Peterson? BC PEOPLE WATCH. When people watch sports center, they only get emotional when their teams highlight comes on. Everyone has an emotional reaction when ray rice domes his wife. It's a business, and they are running what people are watching. Look at numbers. They back it up. It's about RATINGS, not POLITICS. Big difference. That being said, some of their analysts, on a single person basis, get too political with these issues. But the network isn't talking about it because they want to be political or push an agenda. It's because people will watch

Understand your argument and that's a good point, but there can be room for that on a smaller scale and putting actual sports on the larger scale. Many ESPN workers have complained about all the effort they have to put into those issues and not having the opportunity to focus more on sports

DudyDawg
09-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Understand your argument and that's a good point, but there can be room for that on a smaller scale and putting actual sports on the larger scale. Many ESPN workers have complained about all the effort they have to put into those issues and not having the opportunity to focus more on sports

Oh, I agree completely that there should be more sports and that shit gets old fast. Just saying that's why they do it. The answer, just like everything in businesses, is $ and nothing else. But I would be perfectly happy if they said "ray rice is gone, here's the highlights". But, less people watch that.