PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile in Oxford, racial insensitivity is still embraced

PassInterference
09-15-2014, 08:14 AM
A NAFOOMer posts disappointment about his experience at The Grove last weekend..

From: http://nafoom.yuku.com/topic/49045/i-dont-get-it#.VBbg10t3v8t

I probably shouldn't bring this up, but this was my introduction to the grove yesterday. I walk with my son (Ole Miss senior) to the grove. We come from the quad to the Lyceum, to the circle and then we get to the Grove. The first tent I see has a big "Rebel Pride" - confederate flag. then we get to the Student union and the busses were about to unload the team for the walk of champions. I look down the walk of champions and see another "Rebel Pride" flag right on the Walk of Champions. Then the team gets off the bus to the band playing "Forward Rebels" with not one, not two, but Three versions of Dixie. After all of the August controversy and the studies, I am just amazed that we not only play Dixie, but play 3 versions of it. I know most Rebel fans think nothing of Dixie, and actually love the tune, but plenty of people do associate Dixie with racism. To have a team that we are supporting I just think it is ironic at the very least, given that majority of the team is African American. Then walking to the tent, I see many African American students dressed up just like everyone else enjoying the Grove. I just think it is a little disrespectful and insensitive that we keep playing the song over and over. Be somewhat different if we only played the one version of it.

I get pissed off at myself that it bothers me, lol. i feel certain most everyone I know thinks we definitely should be playing it. I just think the band has no creativity and is lazy not to come up with some other alternative fight songs.

Most posters in that NAFOOM thread agreed this is a problem. But they also agree that "most" Ole Miss fans cherish the playing of Dixie and don't have issues with the confederate flag.

Some NAFOOMers defended Dixie, apparently having no concern at all for race sensitivity. TBagger claims it is racist to be offended by Dixie and the confederate flag. TBagger also gives elitedawgs credit for being more race sensitive than NAFOOM. See:

Is this keeping you up at night? WTF?

We are 3-0 and ranked number 10 in the nation and you are trying to start some racist rant? If you don't like it, email Ross Bjork and shut the f-ck up. Maybe you should run back over to ED and tell them how cool you are now.

warchief says he understands its an issue but it appears he thinks nobody should be offended by playing a song that praises the south's era of slavery. But warchief does think the confederate flags should stop:

Honestly I think if dixie offends someone then they're looking for a reason to be offended. I understand the civil war correlation but geez. Should people not live in MS because it was a part of the confederacy? I just think its overkill. Now I agree on the flags. That symbol has been forever linked to hateful morons like the klan. Grow up folks. You're not a badass because you have that flag. I do think getting rid of col. Reb, or stopping all forms of dixie is overkill though. If you search deep enough you can find an offensive connection in anything. I think it should end with any direct symbols like the flag.

Bodhisattva says the flags should go, says the fans love Dixie, but that Dixie should go away because.... it hurts recruiting. He's "all in". I suppose if it didn't hurt recruiting he might not care.

I agree with you and think Dixie should've been retired 10+ years ago. It gets used against us in recruiting, making it harder on Freeze and staff to do their jobs. And it makes no sense to retire Col Reb, retire FDWL, but still play Dixie. But I'll say this..... many in our fanbase truly love Dixie. Whenever the band plays it during a game, I'll look around and see several people around me stand up and start clapping.

As for the flags in the Grove, it's an embarrassment for sure, but there's nothing the univ can do about it. The only thing that could be done is for fans to take matters into their own hands, but this would probably just make the flag displayers dig their heels in deeper.

rebelrouseri says supports Dixie

Agree. Let's just start some shit and see what sticks...

post. This guy forgot to mention how the name Ole Miss is racist too. I feel bad your son couldn't get into a more enlightened university or, maybe, he just isn't looking for racism behind every corner. I do agree w/ the flag shit though.

In another post, rebelrouseri takes offense to a Wikipedia reference which explains what Dixie really means. He really does love Dixie. Enough to deny documented evidence that the song embraces slavery and that it is racially offensive.

And finally, Bopolis locked the thread for damage control.

So there you have it - a critical mass of Ole Miss Rebel fans love the confederate flag, although a good many of them want the flag to stop. But nearly every Ole Miss rebel fan loves Dixie. And both confederate flags and Dixie are proudly cherished on gamedays in The Grove. Hotty toddy.

DownwardDawg
09-15-2014, 08:46 AM
I can't wait to see the confederate flags on national tv waving on Game Day. Mississippi at it's finest. Sigh.....

BeardoMSU
09-15-2014, 09:05 AM
A NAFOOMer posts disappointment about his experience at The Grove last weekend..

From: http://nafoom.yuku.com/topic/49045/i-dont-get-it#.VBbg10t3v8t

Most posters in that NAFOOM thread agreed this is a problem. But they also agree that "most" Ole Miss fans cherish the playing of Dixie and don't have issues with the confederate flag.

Some NAFOOMers defended Dixie, apparently having no concern at all for race sensitivity. TBagger claims it is racist to be offended by Dixie and the confederate flag. TBagger also gives elitedawgs credit for being more race sensitive than NAFOOM. See:

warchief says he understands its an issue but it appears he thinks nobody should be offended by playing a song that praises the south's era of slavery. But warchief does think the confederate flags should stop:

Bodhisattva says the flags should go, says the fans love Dixie, but that Dixie should go away because.... it hurts recruiting. He's "all in". I suppose if it didn't hurt recruiting he might not care.

rebelrouseri says supports Dixie

In another post, rebelrouseri takes offense to a Wikipedia reference which explains what Dixie really means. He really does love Dixie. Enough to deny documented evidence that the song embraces slavery and that it is racially offensive.

And finally, Bopolis locked the thread for damage control.

So there you have it - a critical mass of Ole Miss Rebel fans love the confederate flag, although a good many of them want the flag to stop. But nearly every Ole Miss rebel fan loves Dixie. And both confederate flags and Dixie are proudly cherished on gamedays in The Grove. Hotty toddy.

To be fair, OP4 and Kudzu appeared to be on the right side of history in that thread, so you could have been a little more fair in your portrayal.

I for one hope we don't see any of that stuff on CGD, because that shit is embarrassing, not just for them, but for us too. It makes MS as a whole look retarded. Sorry to offend you secessionist folks out there (wait...no I'm not).

FlabLoser
09-15-2014, 09:11 AM
To be fair, OP4 and Kudzu appeared to be on the right side of history in that thread, so you could have been a little more fair in your portrayal.

PI did say "Most posters in that NAFOOM thread agreed this is a problem".

Pollodawg
09-15-2014, 09:11 AM

I for one hope we don't see any of that stuff on CGD, because that shit is embarrassing, not just for them, but for us too. It makes MS as a whole look retarded. Sorry to offend you secessionist folks out there (wait...no I'm not).

You can almost bet your bottom dollar somebody in the audience will be waving a massive Rebel flag. And I am not saying that there aren't things about Southern culture that we shouldn't be proud of. I'm also not saying that the average Confederate solider fought any less bravely or admirably than any other solider at any point in time anywhere. I am saying that was a century-and-a-half ago. Move on.

BeardoMSU
09-15-2014, 09:20 AM
PI did say "Most posters in that NAFOOM thread agreed this is a problem".

Ah, he did. My bad PI.

War Machine Dawg
09-15-2014, 09:30 AM
So, let me get this straight. This thread, which is already on the track to degenerate into another gigantic War of Northern Aggression pissing match, is allowed to stay on the public board. But my thread about and actual on-the-field penalty is moved to the politics board? Makes sense.

FlabLoser
09-15-2014, 09:41 AM
I haven't read the thread you refer to WMD, but this one hasn't degenerated.

War Machine Dawg
09-15-2014, 09:52 AM
I haven't read the thread you refer to WMD, but this one hasn't degenerated.

I didn't say it's degenerated. I said it's on the track to degenerating. Just like every thread we've had on this topic. I love to make fun of the BearSharks as much as anyone, but this whole subject is best avoided.

MaxedOutMaroon
09-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Definitely think confederate flags should not be and don't have to be plastered all over the place (we are in the heart of MS and I've never seen one here). Therefore, it's out-of-date and has racial meaning, so it's in their best interest to do away with it. Also, Dixie must go because of its meaning. I hate OM just like if not more than most of you, but man I wish it didn't have negative meaning because it is catchy and a beautiful tune, but because of its meaning there is no room for it at a southern university. And after all that I say, Praise God that I attend the best university in MS, the people's university, THE MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY

Liverpooldawg
09-15-2014, 10:06 AM
If Gameday comes to UM you can be quite sure the powers that be up there will go to great lengths to insure there are no Confederate flags there. So will ESPN.

PassInterference
09-15-2014, 10:11 AM
I have no doubt ESPN has higher standards than the Ole Miss Rebels.

ESPN does screen signs before the Gameday cameras go on. Every week, there is an area where rejected signs are discarded.

In fairness to the Ole Miss Rebels, ESPN doesn't have to honor the 1st Amendment.

coastdoglover
09-15-2014, 10:20 AM
They will have to pay some African Americans to go to the Grove because the only ones in there are wearing bow ties and serving drinks. Ole Miss is as hypocritical as they come.

DawgInMemphis
09-15-2014, 10:34 AM
The worst part to me is that this man, the father of an UM senior, would type "lol."

BeardoMSU
09-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Definitely think confederate flags should not be and don't have to be plastered all over the place (we are in the heart of MS and I've never seen one here). Therefore, it's out-of-date and has racial meaning, so it's in their best interest to do away with it. Also, Dixie must go because of its meaning. I hate OM just like if not more than most of you, but man I wish it didn't have negative meaning because it is catchy and a beautiful tune, but because of its meaning there is no room for it at a southern university. And after all that I say, Praise God that I attend the best university in MS, the people's university, THE MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY

Well they had an opportunity to keep FDWL, but the student section (perhaps not a majority, but certainly a very large contingent) just couldn't help themselves....