PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Peters question

chef dixon
09-14-2014, 09:28 PM
With Cox and Hughes being seniors, is Peters good enough to come in and start at safety from day 1? Market, Coman, and Evans will be our main returning players if I am looking at it correctly. I'm not really aware of what we are trying to do with guys that are currently redshirting if someone could shed light on that.

msstate7
09-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Brandon Bryant and JT gray could factor in too

mcain31
09-14-2014, 09:37 PM
I think JT Gray is playing the hybrid LB spot like Matt Wells

Homedawg
09-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I think JT Gray is playing the hybrid LB spot like Matt Wells

Correct. Gray is now a lb. they like him a lot.

bulldawg28
09-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Yes, Peters should play next year.

Bass Chaser
09-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Can Hughes apply for medical redshirt?

sandwolf
09-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Can Hughes apply for medical redshirt?

I think he can apply for a medical hardship after he has used up all of his eligibility. From what I gathered in a thread that discussed this a few months back, he isn't eligible for a medical RS because he has already used his RS year.

Bully Dee Williams
09-14-2014, 11:23 PM
I think he can apply for a medical hardship after he has used up all of his eligibility. From what I gathered in a thread that discussed this a few months back, he isn't eligible for a medical RS because he has already used his RS year.

Not true. Hughes can still apply for a med redshirt 6th year. He just has to wait until after the season to apply and the NCAA has to approve it. The med shirt can't automatically be applied because of his previous redshirt, though.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Not true. Hughes can still apply for a med redshirt 6th year. He just has to wait until after the season to apply and the NCAA has to approve it. The med shirt can't automatically be applied because of his previous redshirt, though.

And he will likely get it, if he applies for it, because he didn't play but a few snaps last year before getting hurt. I've seen med red's granted with far more snaps before.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Correct he can apply for a medical rs but as of today he doesn't plan to. Things could change but as of right now this is his last year.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Correct he can apply for a medical rs but as of today he doesn't plan to. Things could change but as of right now this is his last year.

Wonder why? No aspirations of NFL? Not saying he would make it, but most guys hold out hope that play in the SEC.

He seems like a bright guy, so I'm sure he'll do what's best for him.

bulldawg28
09-15-2014, 06:25 AM
Back on topic Peters should play right away. He's ideal which gives us length, speed, and instincts in the safety spot. We've had junior high safety sized players for too long.

dawgoneyall
09-15-2014, 06:37 AM
That is what a "medical reshirt" is about.

thf24
09-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Wonder why? No aspirations of NFL? Not saying he would make it, but most guys hold out hope that play in the SEC.

He seems like a bright guy, so I'm sure he'll do what's best for him.

Probably knows his future is in coaching and wants to jump right in.

defiantdog
09-15-2014, 08:35 AM
I expect Peters, Dear, and Gibson to all play as true freshmen. Peters will be thrown directly into the safety rotation with Market, Evans, Coman, and Bryant. I think he eventually takes over the spot from Evans.... and I wish Peters could be an early enrollee so he could get involved in Spring practice.

RBritt
09-15-2014, 09:18 AM
My dad would love for Peters to graduate early too. Bassfield is in their basketball district and Peters is legit at basketball too.

sandwolf
09-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Not true. Hughes can still apply for a med redshirt 6th year. He just has to wait until after the season to apply and the NCAA has to approve it.

I believe this is called a medical hardship, as opposed to a medical redshirt.

HancockCountyDog
09-15-2014, 10:08 AM
I always thought the medical 6th year is for players that can show that they used their first redshirt year on an injury as opposed to a regular redshirt. Am I wrong on this.

HoopsDawg
09-15-2014, 10:40 AM
I always thought the medical 6th year is for players that can show that they used their first redshirt year on an injury as opposed to a regular redshirt. Am I wrong on this.

Jay is probably going to move on.

sandwolf
09-15-2014, 12:24 PM

The way I understand it is that a Medical Redshirt is used for a player who hasn't already used his redshirt season. A Medical Hardship grants the 6th year and is applied for by a player that has already used his redshirt season (I don't think that it matters whether the redshirt was medical or not)........players are given 5 years to play 4, and I think that the hardship waiver basically just says, "OK, we will allow for you to have 6 years to play 4 because you missed one of your years due to injury."

I am not positive on any of that, but that is the way that I understand it.