PDA

View Full Version : Re-watch thread

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 04:07 PM
At the 2:00 mark of the first quarter when Matt Wells dropped the pick....

We rushed 3 and dropped 8. USA had 6 men on the line plus a RB to block. We had CJ on the end, Ryan brown on the other end, and Preston in the middle. They doubled all 3 and then had the RB help with Brown....and both Preston AND Ryan nailed Bridge as he released it. Unreal.

Our D-Line is fine. We had tons of pressure on him in the 1st quarter alone.

The worst thing I've seen so far, is when we lined up Matt Wells on the slot on the same side as Calhoun. They would run Calhoun deep, and then have the slot go to the opposite of whichever way Wells was cheating...which was typically inside. This led to some wide open out routes about 7-10 yards downfield.

Side note: I know everybody says Calhoun is our best corner...but he allows WAY too much cushion IMO. And then to think he was beaten deep vs UAB, is shocking...because anybody giving that much cushion should never get beaten deep. Just an observation. I feel like we need to tell Calhoun to play tight and bump the WR's, and play with a safety over top of him. I still think Love and Redmond are our best cover corners. Calhoun is definitely a ball hawk though.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 04:12 PM
On the punt at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, Bell was standing on the 20 when he kicked it, and it hit at the 5 yard line and went through the end zone. Are you freaking kidding me? That's 75 yards in the air if my math is correct, plus it rolled 20+ yards through the Endzone. That may have been a touchback even if he had been in the back of our own Endzone! Incredible.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 04:30 PM
On our drive after their FG, Devin Desper played a good bit at guard in place of Malone....and he did pretty dang good. That is an excellent sign in my opinion. And Warren looked pretty solid the few plays he's been in so far. I really wish those two would rise up...would help our OL not only this year, but in the future.

Desper also swallowed his man on Robinson's TD. And Beckwith plowed his guy into the Endzone....so that was good.

Todd4State
09-14-2014, 04:38 PM
When Desper was in high school, he would sometimes get called for ineligible receiver downfield because he would sometimes maul his guy down the field on pass plays. It was kind of funny.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but we really don't need any JUCO o-linemen in our class. If we do take one, it probably needs to be someone that can play center.

Bully Dee Williams
09-14-2014, 04:39 PM
I am rewatching now, about 5 minutes through 1st quarter. Both of the corners are playing way off the WRs. On the deep play that was incomplete by USA on the first drive, Evans, playing safety, looked like he was a statue in the secondary. He didnt make a move to help Love until it was almost too late.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 04:42 PM
I am rewatching now, about 5 minutes through 1st quarter. Both of the corners are playing way off the WRs. On the deep play that was incomplete by USA on the first drive, Evans, playing safety, looked like he was a statue in the secondary. He didnt make a move to help Love until it was almost too late.

Yea, he looked horrible. Hopefully Cox will be good for LSU, because Evans was really bad in coverage yesterday. He is great in run support, as most of our guys are...but needs to improve on helping in coverage

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Redmond had beautiful coverage on that pick. He has great instincts.

Early in the game when he was beaten on the post pattern, he simply got to spinning too much in the hips. He tripped himself up without contact. That type of thing will improve. I'm sure Townsend is working with him.

MSUDawg4Life
09-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Redmond had beautiful coverage on that pick. He has great instincts.

Early in the game when he was beaten on the post pattern, he simply got to spinning too much in the hips. He tripped himself up without contact. That type of thing will improve. I'm sure Townsend is working with him.

I agree on Redmond. His troubles are due to inexperience rather than lack of talent. Being picked on these last couple of games will help him a lot. I expect him to be much better by the end of the season.

LC Dawg
09-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Against UAB we lined up with the DL of CJ, Ryan, and Preston but UAB called timeout. I watched for it the rest of the game because I wanted to see how it worked but we never did it. I was glad to see us do it yesterday. It worked perfectly.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Really like what I've seen out of Warren and Desper early. Clayborn, Malone, Senior, Warren, and Desper, have me feeling a little better about next year's line. If guys like Joq Johnson, Flowers, Thomas, and Carter can rise up....we should at least be serviceable with a chance at being above average.

Day and Beckwith are going to have to step it up this year starting next weekend. Both show signs of looking good, and Day has proven it over the years...but they haven't looked great this year yet. I hope our OLine has been holding back some frustration to unleash next weekend.

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 04:57 PM
anybody that thinks Will got picked on against USA has lost their mind. Evans busted the coverage on that skinny post. he went low to triple cover the slot instead of maintaining discipline and taking the deep middle third, which was obviously his. Redmond just saw it and got over there to make the tackle. He "tripped up" because he was supposed to release that WR to the other zone and then saw no one was there.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 05:01 PM
anybody that thinks Will got picked on against USA has lost their mind. Evans busted the coverage on that skinny post. he went low to triple cover the slot instead of maintaining discipline and taking the deep middle third, which was obviously his. Redmond just saw it and got over there to make the tackle. He "tripped up" because he was supposed to release that WR to the other zone and then saw no one was there.

Nope, Will blew it on that post Hack. Go back and watch it, he almost fell down. Not saying Evans shouldn't have been there, but Will had lost the guy because he tripped himself up. I just watched it 3 times in slow motion.

I'm a big fan of Redmond though. But he beat himself on that post. At least the post I'm referring too. You may be talking about a different one.

It's ok though...it doesn't make him a bad corner. It makes him human.

Bully Dee Williams
09-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Really like what I've seen out of Warren and Desper early. Clayborn, Malone, Senior, Warren, and Desper, have me feeling a little better about next year's line. If guys like Joq Johnson, Flowers, Thomas, and Carter can rise up....we should at least be serviceable with a chance at being above average.

Day and Beckwith are going to have to step it up this year starting next weekend. Both show signs of looking good, and Day has proven it over the years...but they haven't looked great this year yet. I hope our OLine has been holding back some frustration to unleash next weekend.

I disagree a bit on the oline. After the first two drives or so, the oline was in control, especially on the run.

The PI call on Bear was BS in my opinion.

Shumpert has the talent to be a good RB. He just looks so tentative after he is handed the ball. I would love to see him be more assertive in attacking holes.

Our WRs are probably some of the best blocking WRs in the country. They aren't afraid to get in faces and throw weight.

GreenheadDawg
09-14-2014, 05:05 PM

I haven't seen anything from Evans that shows me that he should be playing. He has absolutely no clue what's going on in coverage

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 05:06 PM
I disagree a bit on the oline. After the first two drives or so, the oline was straight mauling folks, especially on the run.

The PI call on Bear was BS in my opinion.

Shumpert has the talent to be a good RB. He just looks so tentative after he is handed the ball. I would love to see him be more assertive in attacking holes.

Our WRs are probably some of the best blocking WRs in the country. They aren't afraid to get in faces and throw weight.

So what do you disagree with about the OLine? I didn't say they didn't maul people at times...but they also missed blocks and assignments at times. They should have been mauling folks, they are SEC linemen facing SunBelt linemen. Know what I mean?

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 05:07 PM
I haven't seen anything from Evans that shows me that he should be playing. He has absolutely no clue what's going on in coverage

I agree. We had little choice with Cox being out though. Coman hasn't looked overly impressive back there either. But some of these guys are really young, and won't see much action vs SEC teams

Bully Dee Williams
09-14-2014, 05:12 PM
So what do you disagree with about the OLine? I didn't say they didn't maul people at times...but they also missed blocks and assignments at times. They should have been mauling folks, they are SEC linemen facing SunBelt linemen. Know what I mean?

I just didnt see much from the 1st or 2nd string OL outside of the first few drives to really worry me. Sure they may have missed something occassionally, but I don't think they are a concern at this point. I hope they don't prove me wrong.

Covercorner2
09-14-2014, 05:15 PM
With Cox hurt, why didn't Market and Hughes play the most and start at S?

Bully Dee Williams
09-14-2014, 05:21 PM
My gosh...we were ripped off so many times by terrible calls from the refs. USA was the recepient of some questionable assistance from the officials.

IMissJack
09-14-2014, 05:29 PM
What conference were the refs from?

DudyDawg
09-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Not sure about Hughes, but market cut his head in the UAB game and got a lot of stitches which I'm sure weren't comfy. And why risk splitting it again against USA. That's a big reason Evans played so much

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Nope, Will blew it on that post Hack. Go back and watch it, he almost fell down. Not saying Evans shouldn't have been there, but Will had lost the guy because he tripped himself up. I just watched it 3 times in slow motion.

I'm a big fan of Redmond though. But he beat himself on that post. At least the post I'm referring too. You may be talking about a different one.

It's ok though...it doesn't make him a bad corner. It makes him human.

I've watched it 3 times too. Evans bit low and should've stayed home. Will tripped, but the WR split the seam and no one was there in the middle deep 3rd to squeeze him. you're suggesting that it was Will's zone or his man. it wasn't even a man coverage... you could argue it was his zone since the WR split the two, but he should've had help in the middle there. If that slot underneath would've hit a wheel route, that would've been Will's primary. Pretty simple zone concept on deep 3rds... and he covered two guys' zones: his and Evans.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 05:56 PM
I've watched it 3 times too. Evans bit low and should've stayed home. Will tripped, but the WR split the seam and no one was there in the middle deep 3rd to squeeze him. you're suggesting that it was Will's zone or his man. it wasn't even a man coverage... you could argue it was his zone since the WR split the two, but he should've had help in the middle there. If that slot underneath would've hit a wheel route, that would've been Will's primary. Pretty simple zone concept on deep 3rds... and he covered two guys' zones: his and Evans.

No, I was suggesting that he was beaten, and he was. Yes, Evans should have had inside coverage and he blew it too....doesn't mean Redmond didn't get beat. And again, it's not a big deal. He got his hips twisted up and almost fell down. Whether Evans messed up or not doesn't change the fact that Redmond was beaten too. We've established that Evans was poor all day yesterday in coverage.

Everybody messes up from time to time, it's not a big deal.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-14-2014, 06:18 PM

I'm pretty sure Market & Hughes did start at safety. Coman & Evans are the 2nd team guys.

jbjones
09-14-2014, 06:31 PM
On the punt at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, Bell was standing on the 20 when he kicked it, and it hit at the 5 yard line and went through the end zone. Are you freaking kidding me? That's 75 yards in the air if my math is correct, plus it rolled 20+ yards through the Endzone. That may have been a touchback even if he had been in the back of our own Endzone! Incredible.

Not sure if the announcers said anything (I forgot to record, but was at the game), but we had about a 20kt breeze behind us in the 2nd. That's why the punt in the 1st was, how do we say, less than stellar. He did kick the snot out of it, though!

The North wind was quite strong at times.

Barking 13
09-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Here's my take on the secondary... if the DL gets the pressure on the QB like they should, they will be zoning for picks..I attribute a lot of those drops due to the hurried passes.. It just seems to me that the secondary is a gambling style, that relies on the DL and LB's to disrupt the play from the line of scrimmage..

I know, Captain Obvious...