PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk LSU

BeastMan
09-14-2014, 02:44 PM
With glorious technology like Watch ESPN, I've been able to watch & rewatch every LSU game this year. Here are some observations and some possible answers with how MSU can counter. I'll start on offense.

LSU QB Anthony Jennings is regarded as very average by most fans but he is better than fans give him credit for. He is 6th in the SEC in passer rating above guys like Dylan Thompson, Hutson Mason, Patrick Towles, etc... He has a TD to INT ratio of 5-1. Before the ULM game, he had not thrown an INT and was very careful with the ball. They finally opened up the reigns on him a bit and he threw 1 but the WR did fall down. He has a big arm and is athletic but he is a pocket guy. He's not a run 1st guy. He won't take off running unless it is wide open.

A:One thing I've seen from him is that when he gets quick pressure, he tucks the ball in his chest (protecting it) and stops looking down field. That's his tendency and why he hasn't thrown a bad INT this year. That's better than throwing it up for grabs and you can tell he's been coached to be very careful throwing the ball. I think MSU should dial up the pressure and disrupt the down field passing. He may not throw any picks but he can be disrupted to where you can get off the field.

WR was a position group that many believed would be down. I have been very impressed considering the inexperience and they are getting better every week. Travin Dural is a stud who is the big play guy. He already has 12 receptions and all of his catches have gone for either a TD or first down. Trey Quinn is a good looking possession guy. Some of the other guys are dangerous but haven't had many opportunities.

A: MSU really needs to respect their WRs, especially with the tendency they've shown to get beat deep. I think MSU CBs can have success jamming this group since they're so young but the safety better be giving help over the top because all these guys can go, particularly Dural. If MSU could jam and get immediate pressure on Jennings as mentioned above, you can really limit their passing game.

Despite all the hoopla over Leonard Fournette, Kenn Hilliard is the starter and looks the best by far. Terrance Magee is also getting carries as a banger. FB Darrell Williams is getting a lot of carries, particularly in short yardage and he is a load. Fournette looks good and will get better as the year goes on but he isn't elite yet.

A: All this said, this is the least worried I have been about an LSU backfield in my life. I'm not say they aren't good b/c they are. A lot of really good B to B+ players. They just don't have that 1 elite guy like they always have. Fourtnette could be that guy by the end of the year but he isn't right now. The gameplan with these RBs needs to be identifying who is in the game and playing his tendencies. For example, they've used Fournette and Hilliard in the passing game but not Magee. When they go I-form in short yardage, they love Williams up the gut.

The LSU OL is really good. They return a bunch of experience and these guys can maul. They've given up 6 sacks already but that's more on the QB holding it like I mentioned earlier. They're leading the rushing attack to a 4.32 ypc average that is respectable but isn't crazy high. Again, that's more due to the lack of the elite RB as I mentioned earlier.

A: The MSU DL needs to continue to be the DL in this one. They are built for lines and blocking schemes like this. This is the game where rotating all those players should make a big difference. We saw both Wisconsin and ULM fade in the 2nd half against the run due to lack of depth. This game is the challenge the MSU DL should be up for and will say a lot to the ceiling this defense will have in 2014.

The LSU DL took a lot of questions from rival fans as to whether they could withstand the losses in the interior. Through 3 games (and 2 teams that could really run the ball), LSU is 5th in the SEC against the run only allowing 111 ypg. The interior has gotten a huge boost from Christian LaCouture. He has gotten better in all 3 weeks and is giving the Tigers the activity they need on the inside. At DE, they are downright nasty. Duo Jermauria Rasco and Danielle Hunter are arguably the best DE tandem in the conference. Rasco has 2 sacks and they have 5 TFL combined.

A: The key to slowing down this DL will be making them think. They haven't played anyone with any real option threat so they've been able to pin their ears back and play both the run and pass downhill. With Dak, MSU has the luxury to run QB draws that can slow down those ends from just firing off the ball. If I'm Mullen, I'm also going to read option right at those DEs. Make them think and play assignment football. MSU can scheme enough to help the tackles with these DEs. I know I said the interior DL has played better than expected but I wouldn't shy away from running Robinson inside.

LSU has some really good LBs, particularity Kwon Alexander and DJ Welter. These guys are fast and physical. They have helped shore up the questions in the middle of the defense stemming from the young DTs. Against the run these LBs are as good as anyone in the conference.

A: Again, these guys are really good but you can scheme to make them less effective. You cannot play a traditional rushing attack because they will get to playing downhill and that is their strength. I've already commented about how MSU needs to run option and QB draws to get those ends thinking and it's the same with the LBs. The other way Mullen needs to attack these LBs is through the air. They are both kind of small, 6'1 and 6'2, so those passing lanes will be there in the middle, particularly off play-action. Jameon and Mojo can be dangerous in the middle of the field. For example, Mullen loves that fake QB draw play action. That can hold those LBs for a second and then that gives you some space in the middle. Puts a lot of stress on 6'1 LBs who aren't long to stay in the box to respect the action and then provide underneath coverage over athletes MSU will have on the inside routes.

The LSU secondary is leading the charge to the SEC's best pass defense only yielding 94 ypg. A lot of that is competition but we really saw how fast they were in the opener. FS Jalen Mills is the leader back there and has looked really good after moving from CB. With the exception of CB Tre White, this secondary is big and physical.

A: This is the type of secondary that would have completely shut down MSUs WRs 2 years ago. MSU now has their own big, physical WRs that are tough to deal with in their own right. This match-up is going to come down to who can win the challenge? Who is tougher? Call me crazy but I think MSU WRs can make the biggest mark on this unit in the running game. Time for the big guys on the outside like Rojo, Bear, and Ross to really take it to them blocking. Show them that they are the physically superior unit and going to intimidate them.

Special teams are huge in big SEC games and LSU is pretty loaded here. Their kicker is 3-3 on FGs and the punter, an Australian rugby guy, has a foot made of steel. He kicks the ball so dang high for 40+ yards every time. Keehn, the punter, is a huge asset for them who flips the field routinely.

A: As far as place kicking, MSU will likely have to make a FG in this one. Please Sobes. Please. This game is a great punting match-up for Devon Bell. Their guy is going to kill it so Bell will have to be able to answer back with boots of his own and he is very capable of doing so. Field position will be huge in this game and the punter match-up will be colossal. Seriously

The intangible of this game is Death Valley at night. No tougher atmosphere in football.

A: The only way to answer the intangibles that Death Valley gives is with a kid from Louisiana with the heart of a lion. That kid happens to be the MSU team leader Dak Prescott. What a story line would it be if the local kid is able to come back home and leave with a win? Wow.

msstate7
09-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Nice work. Appreciate the insight

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Incredible write up, Beast. Seriously, that was a hell of a breakdown. I actually feel a lot better after reading that. Seems like we have some areas to our advantage.

Again, real good stuff. Probably your best ever, and that says a lot.

gravedigger
09-14-2014, 03:06 PM
That is the best pregame write up I've ever read. Great research.

Goat Holder
09-14-2014, 03:08 PM
A: The only way to answer the intangibles that Death Valley gives is with a kid from Louisiana with the heart of a lion. That kid happens to be the MSU team leader Dak Prescott. What a story line would it be if the local kid is able to come back home and leave with a win? Wow.

You forget that we have another Louisiana kid on our team who will be running like a wild man with a rather large chip on his shoulder.

ShotgunDawg
09-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Awesome job Beast

msstate7
09-14-2014, 03:13 PM
You forget that we have another Louisiana kid on our team who will be running like a wild man with a rather large chip on his shoulder.

Day, dak, and jrob all LA kids. Middle of our offense will want this one bad

Goat Holder
09-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Day, dak, and jrob all LA kids. Middle of our offense will want this one bad

Forgot about Day.

If I had my way, at least 25% of the team would be from Louisiana.

BeastMan
09-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback gents. Since my couple thoughts was getting some positive feedback, I went ahead and posted it to the blog. http://3rdand57.com/matching-up-msu-with-lsu/ There is nothing extra so you don't have to click, it's all here

Goat Holder
09-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback gents. Since my couple thoughts was getting some positive feedback, I went ahead and posted it to the blog. http://3rdand57.com/matching-up-msu-with-lsu/ There is nothing extra so you don't have to click, it's all here

^^ BeastMan.....this is why you're the best blogger of the many that come on here. You care more about MSU than simply pimping your own site. You deserve the clicks.

hailmari
09-14-2014, 03:35 PM
This might be the game where we really benefit from Hutch's size at TE.

Bear@Work
09-14-2014, 03:35 PM
This really is incredible. Thanks for taking the time.

RougeDawg
09-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Goof writeup.

I, for one, have been saying we should beat LSU this year because of our experienced depth. We have always had comparable 1 deep talent with LSU, except QB and WR. But we've never had the luxury of having ample talent and depth all over the field that we have now.

Jennings does not scare me and may be the 3rd best QB we have played. If we can move the ball against them, we can win this thing no doubt. I don't see them doing much against our defense with their inexperienced offense.

I say a 28-17 win, unless we give them our normal 80 yard 12 second drive TD to close out the half. Then 28-24.

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 04:44 PM
I think our OL vs their DL is the matchup of the game. If we can win that matchup, we should walk out of Tigah Stadium with a win.

Treemydawg
09-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Nicely done beast . It's only Sunday and I'm already jacked up for this game, it is about time we kick some corn dog ass. Can anyone recommend a good sheet rock guy ? I'm about to strap one of the kids football helmets on and start form tackling the walls.

GreenheadDawg
09-14-2014, 05:00 PM
This might be the game where we really benefit from Hutch's size at TE.

Still waiting on this! obviously he's just not picking up the playbook

defiantdog
09-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Still waiting on this! obviously he's just not picking up the playbook

He's currently our 4th TE on the depth chart

GreenheadDawg
09-14-2014, 05:15 PM
He's currently our 4th TE on the depth chart

We could use his size like the Saints do with Graham. Before anybody says it I know he's not as good, I'm just saying he would be hell for a LB or S to try to cover

Goat Holder
09-14-2014, 05:17 PM
We could use his size like the Saints do with Graham. Before anybody says it I know he's not as good, I'm just saying he would be hell for a LB or S to try to cover

This sounds like one of those wishful thinking urban legend deals, like Ashton Shumpert being a good running back. Malcolm and Walley are both better TEs right now. Hutcherson looks lost out there. He'll get better though, that's typical of a JUCO.

MarketingBully01
09-14-2014, 05:19 PM
With glorious technology like Watch ESPN, I've been able to watch & rewatch every LSU game this year. Here are some observations and some possible answers with how MSU can counter. I'll start on offense.

LSU QB Anthony Jennings is regarded as very average by most fans but he is better than fans give him credit for. He is 6th in the SEC in passer rating above guys like Dylan Thompson, Hutson Mason, Patrick Towles, etc... He has a TD to INT ratio of 5-1. Before the ULM game, he had not thrown an INT and was very careful with the ball. They finally opened up the reigns on him a bit and he threw 1 but the WR did fall down. He has a big arm and is athletic but he is a pocket guy. He's not a run 1st guy. He won't take off running unless it is wide open.

A:One thing I've seen from him is that when he gets quick pressure, he tucks the ball in his chest (protecting it) and stops looking down field. That's his tendency and why he hasn't thrown a bad INT this year. That's better than throwing it up for grabs and you can tell he's been coached to be very careful throwing the ball. I think MSU should dial up the pressure and disrupt the down field passing. He may not throw any picks but he can be disrupted to where you can get off the field.

WR was a position group that many believed would be down. I have been very impressed considering the inexperience and they are getting better every week. Travin Dural is a stud who is the big play guy. He already has 12 receptions and all of his catches have gone for either a TD or first down. Trey Quinn is a good looking possession guy. Some of the other guys are dangerous but haven't had many opportunities.

A: MSU really needs to respect their WRs, especially with the tendency they've shown to get beat deep. I think MSU CBs can have success jamming this group since they're so young but the safety better be giving help over the top because all these guys can go, particularly Dural. If MSU could jam and get immediate pressure on Jennings as mentioned above, you can really limit their passing game.

Despite all the hoopla over Leonard Fournette, Kenn Hilliard is the starter and looks the best by far. Terrance Magee is also getting carries as a banger. FB Darrell Williams is getting a lot of carries, particularly in short yardage and he is a load. Fournette looks good and will get better as the year goes on but he isn't elite yet.

A: All this said, this is the least worried I have been about an LSU backfield in my life. I'm not say they aren't good b/c they are. A lot of really good B to B+ players. They just don't have that 1 elite guy like they always have. Fourtnette could be that guy by the end of the year but he isn't right now. The gameplan with these RBs needs to be identifying who is in the game and playing his tendencies. For example, they've used Fournette and Hilliard in the passing game but not Magee. When they go I-form in short yardage, they love Williams up the gut.

The LSU OL is really good. They return a bunch of experience and these guys can maul. They've given up 6 sacks already but that's more on the QB holding it like I mentioned earlier. They're leading the rushing attack to a 4.32 ypc average that is respectable but isn't crazy high. Again, that's more due to the lack of the elite RB as I mentioned earlier.

A: The MSU DL needs to continue to be the DL in this one. They are built for lines and blocking schemes like this. This is the game where rotating all those players should make a big difference. We saw both Wisconsin and ULM fade in the 2nd half against the run due to lack of depth. This game is the challenge the MSU DL should be up for and will say a lot to the ceiling this defense will have in 2014.

The LSU DL took a lot of questions from rival fans as to whether they could withstand the losses in the interior. Through 3 games (and 2 teams that could really run the ball), LSU is 5th in the SEC against the run only allowing 111 ypg. The interior has gotten a huge boost from Christian LaCouture. He has gotten better in all 3 weeks and is giving the Tigers the activity they need on the inside. At DE, they are downright nasty. Duo Jermauria Rasco and Danielle Hunter are arguably the best DE tandem in the conference. Rasco has 2 sacks and they have 5 TFL combined.

A: The key to slowing down this DL will be making them think. They haven't played anyone with any real option threat so they've been able to pin their ears back and play both the run and pass downhill. With Dak, MSU has the luxury to run QB draws that can slow down those ends from just firing off the ball. If I'm Mullen, I'm also going to read option right at those DEs. Make them think and play assignment football. MSU can scheme enough to help the tackles with these DEs. I know I said the interior DL has played better than expected but I wouldn't shy away from running Robinson inside.

LSU has some really good LBs, particularity Kwon Alexander and DJ Welter. These guys are fast and physical. They have helped shore up the questions in the middle of the defense stemming from the young DTs. Against the run these LBs are as good as anyone in the conference.

A: Again, these guys are really good but you can scheme to make them less effective. You cannot play a traditional rushing attack because they will get to playing downhill and that is their strength. I've already commented about how MSU needs to run option and QB draws to get those ends thinking and it's the same with the LBs. The other way Mullen needs to attack these LBs is through the air. They are both kind of small, 6'1 and 6'2, so those passing lanes will be there in the middle, particularly off play-action. Jameon and Mojo can be dangerous in the middle of the field. For example, Mullen loves that fake QB draw play action. That can hold those LBs for a second and then that gives you some space in the middle. Puts a lot of stress on 6'1 LBs who aren't long to stay in the box to respect the action and then provide underneath coverage over athletes MSU will have on the inside routes.

The LSU secondary is leading the charge to the SEC's best pass defense only yielding 94 ypg. A lot of that is competition but we really saw how fast they were in the opener. FS Jalen Mills is the leader back there and has looked really good after moving from CB. With the exception of CB Tre White, this secondary is big and physical.

A: This is the type of secondary that would have completely shut down MSUs WRs 2 years ago. MSU now has their own big, physical WRs that are tough to deal with in their own right. This match-up is going to come down to who can win the challenge? Who is tougher? Call me crazy but I think MSU WRs can make the biggest mark on this unit in the running game. Time for the big guys on the outside like Rojo, Bear, and Ross to really take it to them blocking. Show them that they are the physically superior unit and going to intimidate them.

Special teams are huge in big SEC games and LSU is pretty loaded here. Their kicker is 3-3 on FGs and the punter, an Australian rugby guy, has a foot made of steel. He kicks the ball so dang high for 40+ yards every time. Keehn, the punter, is a huge asset for them who flips the field routinely.

A: As far as place kicking, MSU will likely have to make a FG in this one. Please Sobes. Please. This game is a great punting match-up for Devon Bell. Their guy is going to kill it so Bell will have to be able to answer back with boots of his own and he is very capable of doing so. Field position will be huge in this game and the punter match-up will be colossal. Seriously

The intangible of this game is Death Valley at night. No tougher atmosphere in football.

Great write up! I say we win 21-17 or 21-14. It's gonna be a great game and IMO the game of the week in the SEC.

GreenheadDawg
09-14-2014, 05:19 PM
This sounds like one of those wishful thinking urban legend deals, like Ashton Shumpert being a good running back. Malcolm and Walley are both better TEs right now. Hutcherson looks lost out there. He'll get better though, that's typical of a JUCO.

There's always hope. Hutch hasn't gotten a chance, Shumpert has

Coach34
09-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Hutch is 4th string- dont count on anything from him anytime soon

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Should have redshirted him

GreenheadDawg
09-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Probably true. But either way I've been impressed with Gus Walley. He has shown really nice hands and solid routes

BeastMan
09-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Has anyone besides me noticed LSU's punter Keehn? I'm being dead serious when I say he is a huge threat. He's a feild position weapon. Not only that, he absolutely skies 45 yarders making a return impossible

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Has anyone besides me noticed LSU's punter Keehn? I'm being dead serious when I say he is a huge threat. He's a feild position weapon. Not only that, he absolutely skies 45 yarders making a return impossible

Haven't paid attention. We don't return punts anyway, so as long as Graham fair catches them like he has been...that's all we can ask. This sounds like a match up of the two best punters (leg strength wise) in the conference.

JDog13
09-14-2014, 06:53 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qg0M6uPK0_Y/UkNS0NIB6RI/AAAAAAAAOZU/RL-tFShnheg/s1600/lets-ride.gif

Intramural All-American
09-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Am I the only one who feels better about beating LSU in Death Valley than beating A&M at home? Heck I'd almost say the same about Bama and A&M. We just match up so well against LSU and Bama, but A&M is like UAB and USA on steroids.

I just have a good feeling going into Saturday. Somebody convince me otherwise.

BeastMan
09-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Am I the only one who feels better about beating LSU in Death Valley than beating A&M at home? Heck I'd almost say the same about Bama and A&M. We just match up so well against LSU and Bama, but A&M is like UAB and USA on steroids.

I think there is some validity there. LSU definitely looks more beatable right now than A&M. If it was in Starkville, I wouldn't be torn about calling for an upset

bulldawg28
09-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Calhoun needs to redeem himself this game. They came at him all last game and I expect the same. He struggles with big fast Wr's.

BeastMan
09-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Calhoun needs to redeem himself this game. They came at him all last game and I expect the same. He struggles with big fast Wr's.

I think you make a good point but I want to tweak it and you tell me if I'm off base. I don't think it's necessarily big, fast receivers, it's more of a scheme thing. By that I mean that the quick hitting, screen-heavy teams like A&M and Ole Miss, he's really good because he's aggressive and tackles very well. I think he struggles more with vertical passing attacks. It makes him turn his back and run which is his weakness. Taking away from the line of scrimmage neutralizes his strengths IMO

BulldogBear
09-15-2014, 08:39 AM

I personally am not a believer and am still convinced TAMU is all smoke and mirrors. I give them next to zero chance to beat Arkansas, MSU, Auburn, or Alabama. I don't believe they can outscore a team that leans on their defense and controls the tempo with the run game. I don't believe they will stop a good running many times during a game and the other team will only need to get about 3-4 stops to put it away.

1bigdawg
09-15-2014, 08:57 AM

I have noticed and he is a huge weapon. In a field position match-up we have to gain an extra ten yards a possession to break even.

Political Hack
09-15-2014, 09:02 AM
I just don't know if our team is mature enough yet to handle that environment. they've won some close games, but not on the road like this in this kind if environment.

IF we beat LSU down there, at night, we will contend for the SEC West down the stretch. If we can win in that environment, we can win anywhere.

Barking 13
09-15-2014, 02:54 PM
you've cooked up another treat...

bulldawg28
09-15-2014, 03:07 PM
I think you make a good point but I want to tweak it and you tell me if I'm off base. I don't think it's necessarily big, fast receivers, it's more of a scheme thing. By that I mean that the quick hitting, screen-heavy teams like A&M and Ole Miss, he's really good because he's aggressive and tackles very well. I think he struggles more with vertical passing attacks. It makes him turn his back and run which is his weakness. Taking away from the line of scrimmage neutralizes his strengths IMO
Agreed. Which means he's not a fast guy. Put Redmond in!!!! Lol

Dawgtini
09-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Gave you the "click" anyway. Super write up. Good job!

Political Hack
09-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Agreed. Which means he's not a fast guy. Put Redmond in!!!! Lol

I actually like Redmond and Calhoun at CB right now, so long as we keep at least 1 deep S. Those two make more tackles than the rest of the CBs combined... and they do it at the line of scrimmage too.

Goat Holder
09-15-2014, 04:34 PM
I actually like Redmond and Calhoun at CB right now

Too easy

Just funnin' with you, Mr. Banhappy.

RougeDawg
09-15-2014, 05:02 PM

You may be correct but are forgetting one key element to this game. Jennings hasn't faced a defense of our caliber and depth. Jennings is a sophomore and the worst QB LSU has had when we have played them in the last decade. Add on the fact that he gets rattled under the slightest pressure and stares down his WR, I like our chances with whoever plays CB. Jennings would not start for USA or UAB. QB recruiting and development has been the singleost reason Les only has one natty in his LSU tenure and that was with a Saban recruited QB. Why aren't any of the media talking heads pointing out these glaring deficiencies? The QB situation is why I predicted LSU at 8-4 this year. One dimensional offenses against defenses like ours, Bama, etc. will give them fits.

mic
09-15-2014, 05:13 PM

True.. But Samuels was at best 3rd string this time last year as well... (Malcolm , hill, Rufus, Samuels)
So let's give the kid a chance to get his feet wet a little more..