PDA

View Full Version : I just can't NOT like South Alabama...

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Outside of a typical few posters/fans, they are a pretty decent bunch. Check out this thread that one of our own started, but USA fans had some good comments.

http://southalabama.247sports.com/Board/59456/Contents/Cousin-Eddie-31040202

Goat Holder
09-14-2014, 01:56 PM
I don't really have a positive/negative feeling about them, but I do think they are going to be a top 'mid-major' program. This article here (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/nows_the_time_for_uab_football.html#incart_river) mistakenly thinks that UAB is the Alabama school that can make that jump. I don't see it that way. USA has a talent-rich city/fanbase at its disposal down there all alone, and not under the thumb of the University of Alabama in any way, shape or form.

Todd4State
09-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Not to mention that they are also right by the Florida panhandle and they can also use the Mississippi Gulf Coast as well. They might even be able to dip into New Orleans as well.

Their main competition is USM, and I think they have some advantages over them- including being better than USM right now.

Also, their fans were talking about building a new on campus stadium- and depending on how that goes, that will help their program as well.

MSUDawg4Life
09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm indifferent toward them. That talk of tearing down the goalposts on us didn't sit well with me, but I don't like them or dislike them.

MarketingBully01
09-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Outside of a typical few posters/fans, they are a pretty decent bunch. Check out this thread that one of our own started, but USA fans had some good comments.

http://southalabama.247sports.com/Board/59456/Contents/Cousin-Eddie-31040202

Wow, classy fans and the fact they appreciated us for playing them in their stadium is extra classy. Thanks for sharing this Cadaver. Good posts there.

Goat Holder
09-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Not to mention that they are also right by the Florida panhandle and they can also use the Mississippi Gulf Coast as well. They might even be able to dip into New Orleans as well.

Their main competition is USM, and I think they have some advantages over them- including being better than USM right now.

Also, their fans were talking about building a new on campus stadium- and depending on how that goes, that will help their program as well.

I personally don't think the mid-majors have the brand name to move over state lines (at least to the point to where they beat their peers for recruits). Only reason USM did it back during the day is because they had a rare combination of being pretty good and no real competition for overlooked Alabama players, and less for Louisiana. I think Tulane was the only FBS school for a while outside LSU. Not sure when Lafayette and Monroe became FBS, I still consider them SW La and NE La. Maybe the mid-90s.

Todd4State
09-14-2014, 03:11 PM
I personally don't think the mid-majors have the brand name to move over state lines (at least to the point to where they beat their peers for recruits). Only reason USM did it back during the day is because they had a rare combination of being pretty good and no real competition for overlooked Alabama players, and less for Louisiana. I think Tulane was the only FBS school for a while outside LSU. Not sure when Lafayette and Monroe became FBS, I still consider them SW La and NE La. Maybe the mid-90s.

I don't think USA will dominate for the overlooked recruits or however you want to put it. But they will at the very least split with USM some. Mobile is closer for many players on the Mississippi Gulf Coast than USM is. Not to mention there are more things to do in Mobile vs. Hattiesburg.

Mobile is a AA baseball size town, so they should be able to have a decent talent pool from that alone.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Wow, that was pretty crazy to see someone say they would rather kids from mobile go to state over bama and auburn.