PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts from the game...

HancockCountyDog
09-14-2014, 09:20 AM
First, the USA mascot that had the "Bell No, with Fail State" on it was pretty pathetic. Also, how USA didn't have the stadium properly staffed for a game where it was sold out, is beyond me.

The good:

Dak - I mean saying it once isn't enough. He carried this team to a win. I thought a lot of the team came out flat, and Dak had to carry this team to a win. He converted so many 3rd downs with his feet that USA fans around me were just accepting that we were getting it on any type of 3rd and 6 or less. Nice feeling.

JRob - He is just a great RB. Love his speed and power. I really think we may want to enjoy him this year, because he is going to have an NFL draft type season. Just a great player.

Matthew Wells - he was the best defensive player on the field last night. Just everywhere.

Run defense - Dominant. Nuff said.

The Bad:

Secondary - Been said before, but it was pretty bad. USA missed so many opportunities, that good teams won't miss. We need to get it together.

Front Four pressure - I didn't think we got much pressure without blitzing, and thought we should get more.

Receivers - We were blanketed most of the game. Very little separation

Relying too much on Dak - I know this is our offense, but I wish we would have been able to run him a lot less in the game. He took some monster hits that I would rather he just avoid.

Overall:

3-0 - Season starts on Saturday.

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 09:26 AM
our front four was awesome.

our secondary only had 2 players not play well yesterday: Love and Evans both have had better days. Love got rescued by drops. Evans was out of position a lot yesterday, which simply can not happen against LSU. I really hope Cox is healthy, but haven't heard anything about his status yet.

DudyDawg
09-14-2014, 09:39 AM
our front four was awesome.

our secondary only had 2 players not play well yesterday: Love and Evans both have had better days. Love got rescued by drops. Evans was out of position a lot yesterday, which simply can not happen against LSU. I really hope Cox is healthy, but haven't heard anything about his status yet.

I think Redmond and love had rough first halves but were a lot better in the second half. Evans and Coman struggled at safety and I wish we could've seen Hughes more (maybe I just didn't notice). We were Better in the second half, although they still missed a few chances deep. Need to fix a couple things in the back

IMissJack
09-14-2014, 09:42 AM
After rewatching, I felt our front four were being held all game, with nothing being called. It did seem they were kind of flat, but they can't be expected to be up for these types of games all the time. Now, if they can't get up for LSU on ESPN, then check their pulse.

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 09:48 AM
I think Redmond and love had rough first halves but were a lot better in the second half. Evans and Coman struggled at safety and I wish we could've seen Hughes more (maybe I just didn't notice). We were Better in the second half, although they still missed a few chances deep. Need to fix a couple things in the back

I'm sorry, but anyone saying Redmond had a bad game doesn't know football very well. Redmond arguably gave up 1 first down when a WR split the deep 3rd zones and the S wasn't home. he made the tackle though and once again rescued our out of position S's. on that play we had 3 guys covering short-middle zone. Safety didn't assume his deep 3rd... That's the only 1st down "he allowed" that I can remember. He peeled off his assignment to go make plays in others areas several times. And he had a pretty bad ass InT where he kept his eyes in the backfield on a 9 route and came back to ball. He played it so well it made it look like an easy pick, but he out himself in perfect position on the route. I'm willing to bet he graded out at almost 100%. Fans need to quit blaming the DB that makes the tackle and start actually looking at who was supposed to have the coverage.

Love had a rough game but benefited from several drops so it didn't hurt him.

DudyDawg
09-14-2014, 09:49 AM
After rewatching, I felt our front four were being held all game, with nothing being called. It did seem they were kind of flat, but they can't be expected to be up for these types of games all the time. Now, if they can't get up for LSU on ESPN, then check their pulse.

Haha I'm not worried about that. And I'm not worried about them as a unit. Sure, they weren't spectacular, but you can't expect them to completely dominate every single game. They were still very good against the run.

DudyDawg
09-14-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm sorry, but anyone saying Redmond had a bad game doesn't know football very well. Redmond arguably gave up 1 first down when a WR split the deep 3rd zones and the S wasn't home. he made the tackle though and once again rescued our out of position S's. on that play we had 3 guys covering short-middle zone. Safety didn't assume his deep 3rd... That's the only 1st down "he allowed" that I can remember. He peeled off his assignment to go make plays in others areas several times. And he had a pretty bad ass InT where he kept his eyes in the backfield on a 9 route and came back to ball. He played it so well it made it look like an easy pick, but he out himself in perfect position on the route. I'm willing to bet he graded out at almost 100%. Fans need to quit blaming the DB that makes the tackle and start actually looking at who was supposed to have the coverage.

Love had a rough game but benefited from several drops so it didn't hurt him.

Redmond also benefitted from a drop or two that I specifically remember on 20+ yard balls. He wasn't our worst, and like I said he had a good second half, but he struggled getting into the game. I think he has improved from last week tho which means more than anything. I think he can be a really good 3rd corner right now and if he keeps getting better, who knows

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Redmond also benefitted from a drop or two that I specifically remember on 20+ yard balls. He wasn't our worst, and like I said he had a good second half, but he struggled getting into the game. I think he has improved from last week tho which means more than anything. I think he can be a really good 3rd corner right now and if he keeps getting better, who knows

I don't remember him benefiting from any drops and I've rewatched every defensive play. He played a damn good first half with the exception of one long pass where they split the deep 3rds. He didn't really do much in the 2nd half IMO. I actually thought he played lights out in the 1st half and was arguably our best CB yesterday with the possible exception of Calhoun.

If you DVR'd it, rewatch it and you'll see him peong off his assignments to make plays all over the field.

DudyDawg
09-14-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't remember him benefiting from any drops and I've rewatched every defensive play. He played a damn good first half with the exception of one long pass where they split the deep 3rds. He didn't really do much in the 2nd half IMO. I actually thought he played lights out in the 1st half and was arguably our best CB yesterday with the possible exception of Calhoun.

If you DVR'd it, rewatch it and you'll see him peong off his assignments to make plays all over the field.

I'll rewatch and maybe agree with you. But I'm 90% sure of at least one instance of an over throw that saved him. Maybe I'm mistaken. Either way, I think he was a lot better than UAB game and gave me a lot of confidence in him as a clear third corner as of today.

BrunswickDawg
09-14-2014, 10:47 AM
I don't agree about the pressure. We had 6 sacks yesterday. We are in the Top 10 Nationally in Tackles for a Loss. We have gotten fumbles, blocked kicks, and INTS all from our DLine. And it has been without blitz packages and really bringing heat. Ask Bridge if we didn't pressure him all day - we knocked him out of the game.

MarketingBully01
09-14-2014, 11:11 AM

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^ They were being held all game long. The refs literally could have called holding on them every play. They were ripping our DL's jerseys. Otherwise, that shit would have been blown up every play.