PDA

View Full Version : the SEConference is nutty... TUSK's Take Thus Far...

TUSK
09-14-2014, 01:59 AM
EAST
13) Kentucky is MUCH improved.
14) Vandy is back to being VANDY.
12) UT is on their way back, but has a couple of years to go.
11) UF has the talent, not the coaching.
5) SC has some talent and the OBC.
6) UGA is super talented, yet can never get over the top.
7) Mizzo.... I've no clue.

WEST
10) ARKIE has improved on Phat Bert's identity... they can run a bit (a lot).
4) A&M... D still sucks, but has improved... O can't be as good as what I am seeing... again???...
2) AU... ****, gus bus is legit. somebody has got to figure this cat out.
9) Mississippi can't run the ball but can hit homers with the O... RBs suck, but the defense is good(ish).
3) LSU is loaded with talent... Les has been in the NC game with "Les" talent than this team...
8) MSU may have their best team since 99... really good on the D front 7... average to above average elsewhere...
1) Bammer should be favored to win every game... QB arm strength, CBs and RG are only chinks to prevent NC...

smootness
09-14-2014, 05:59 AM
What in the.

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 07:50 AM
State has gained 500+ yards in 4 of their last 5 games I believe.

State has only given up an offensive touchdown in 1 of it's last 5 games.

That's an "above average" combo?

basedog
09-14-2014, 07:58 AM
What do you expect from Tusk, after all he does have "tusk sunglasses"? Bama will lose a few games.

Smitty
09-14-2014, 09:02 AM
I'd say 7-8 is about right for us.

TUSK
09-14-2014, 09:04 AM
State has gained 500+ yards in 4 of their last 5 games I believe.

State has only given up an offensive touchdown in 1 of it's last 5 games.

That's an "above average" combo?

I meant "above average" in comparison to other SEC programs...

They are certainly a lot better than "above average" in comparison to Rice, USM, UAB and USA...

PMDawg
09-14-2014, 09:05 AM
There is no way Bama is 1. I wont be shocked at all if OM wins that game. I wasnt buying that going into the season, but bama has been totally unimpressive so far. We crushed a team 49-0 rotating 1st and second string the entire first half and put in our third string 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter that your first string didnt truly put away until deep in the second half. Not impressed yet.

TUSK
09-14-2014, 09:10 AM
What do you expect from Tusk, after all he does have "tusk sunglasses"? Bama will lose a few games.

"a few" is a stretch, i think; however, Bama is definitely vulnerable... I just can't find a game they won't be favored in...

both the AU and A&M games are at home and they get a week off before they travel to BR... they miss UGA & SC from the east...

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 09:18 AM
1) Auburn
2) Bama
3) LSU
4) A&M
5) Mizzu
6) OM
7) State
8) SC
9) UGA
10) Florida
11) Arky
12) UK
13) UT
14) Vandy

I'd expect it to look like this next Sunday,

1) Auburn
2) Bama
3) A&M
4) State
5) LSU
6) Mizzu
7) OM
8) SC
9) UGA
10) Ark
11) Florida
12) UT
13) UK
14) Vandy

I still think Florida challenges for the east. They escaped yesterday, but they've got a lot to work with. I just can't understand why their defense is not dominant.

basedog
09-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Looks to me the SEC is so balanced this year. Gonna be so many close games just like the SC/Ga and Fl/Ky game. It could be the year that every team in the SEC has two loses. I can't really tell who is the best yet, maybe Auburn overall but I don't see anyone running away with the Championship.

TUSK
09-14-2014, 09:29 AM
There is no way Bama is 1. I wont be shocked at all if OM wins that game. I wasnt buying that going into the season, but bama has been totally unimpressive so far. We crushed a team 49-0 rotating 1st and second string the entire first half and put in our third string 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter that your first string didnt truly put away until deep in the second half. Not impressed yet.

while I agree Bama hasn't been overly impressive, that USM game was over at the 5 minute mark in the 2nd (even after Bama started off sluggish in the 1st) ...heck, our 3rd team RB had 3 TDs...

Yall's defense did smoke USM though...

what concerns me the most is our CBs, if those cats don't get their shit wired right, somebody will slip up and beat em... Ole Miss runs the type offense that could give Bama problems and their WRs are dangerous...

FlabLoser
09-14-2014, 09:40 AM
As long as literally any team in the country can use their backup QB to get deep balls to open WRs against our defense, I'm going going to say we have an elite defense. We've only given up 1 offensive TD simply because the rust bucket teams we've played can't catch passes.

Our offense looks promising. Like a hot rod being driven by an old man. You saw him pass somebody once or twice at a pretty good clip and could swear that car could beat most anything on the street. But it hasn't been driven hard yet. Still waiting to see.

I'm cautiously optomistic. Hopefully teams won't be able to throw deep whenvever they want becasuse that's how it looks now. If we get that fixed we should be pretty good.

Maybe our coordinators just haven't showed their hand yet. With a front 7 as good as our's, why don't the DBs just play it conservative and keep everything in front of them? Maybe these first 3 games have been like an NFL preseason where the best teams routinely look bad because its been more about experimentation than scoring style points. Hopefully..

TUSK
09-14-2014, 09:48 AM
As long as literally any team in the country can use their backup QB to get deep balls to open WRs against our defense, I'm going going to say we have an elite defense. We've only given up 1 offensive TD simply because the rust bucket teams we've played can't catch passes.

Our offense looks promising. Like a hot rod being driven by an old man. You saw him pass somebody once or twice at a pretty good clip and could swear that car could beat most anything on the street. But it hasn't been driven hard yet. Still waiting to see.

I'm cautiously optomistic. Hopefully teams won't be able to throw deep whenvever they want becasuse that's how it looks now. If we get that fixed we should be pretty good.

Maybe our coordinators just haven't showed their hand yet. With a front 7 as good as our's, why don't the DBs just play it conservative and keep everything in front of them? Maybe these first 3 games have been like an NFL preseason where the best teams routinely look bad because its been more about experimentation than scoring style points. Hopefully..

Flab, I swear to God, I thought you were writing about Bammer there for a second... same thing on our end, I feel...

Saltydog
09-14-2014, 09:55 AM
and they no longer scare folks.

TUSK
09-14-2014, 01:41 PM
and they no longer scare folks.

if I had a nickel for every time Bama "lost at least 2 (scheduled) games" over the last 6+ years, I'd have....

a nickel.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Tusk, I don't disagree wi your rankings, except for your Mizzou/MSU spot. So you admit to knowing nothing about Mizzou, yet rank them ahead of us. Why? Just curious.

Is it because they play an East schedule instead of West?

Goat Holder
09-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I still think Florida challenges for the east. They escaped yesterday, but they've got a lot to work with. I just can't understand why their defense is not dominant.

Time to let this go. Florida can't maximize itself without a coach that exploits the offensive talent they get access to.

TUSK
09-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Tusk, I don't disagree wi your rankings, except for your Mizzou/MSU spot. So you admit to knowing nothing about Mizzou, yet rank them ahead of us. Why? Just curious.

Is it because they play an East schedule instead of West?

yep, the schedule... I also gave them some credit for making it to the SECCG last year, too... (which is stupid)...

I think MSU/Mizzo would be an interesting game...

cheewgumm
09-14-2014, 02:09 PM
If Alabama doesnt simply line up and run the ball evey play against Ole Miss, then that will be a huge mistake. They should be able to wear their d down, and take over in the end.

And, I'm not saying this jsut because I hate OMU, but their offense is not what it seems either. They catch a lot of curl type routes...where guys are standing wide open...I have not seen a lot of "catch and run" but maybe I have not see enough. I think Bo's arm is horrible, so maybe im biased.

CadaverDawg
09-14-2014, 02:11 PM
yep, the schedule... I also gave them some credit for making it to the SECCG last year, too... (which is stupid)...

I think MSU/Mizzo would be an interesting game...

Fair enough. Just wondering.

If I had to group teams into similar tiers right now, it would look like this...

Tier 1:
Bama
Auburn
A&M

Tier 2:
Georgia
South Carolina
LSU

Tier 3:
Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Missus

Tier 4:
Tennessee
Arkansas

Tier 5:
Florida
Kentucky

Tier 10:
Vanderbilt

TUSK
09-14-2014, 02:15 PM
If Alabama doesnt simply line up and run the ball evey play against Ole Miss, then that will be a huge mistake. They should be able to wear their d down, and take over in the end.

And, I'm not saying this jsut because I hate OMU, but their offense is not what it seems either. They catch a lot of curl type routes...where guys are standing wide open...I have not seen a lot of "catch and run" but maybe I have not see enough. I think Bo's arm is horrible, so maybe im biased.

You're dead on, Chew... I'd like to see us hog the ball using our deep RB corps... that dink/dunk type O and those receivers can be effective vs our defense (as it is now) if Goldie Locks is on...

I think we should just run straight at Robert and keep running at him til Saban "makes his a$$ quit"...

defiantdog
09-14-2014, 02:27 PM
EAST
12) Kentucky.... the Florida loss will be deflating for this team. They have some good new talent, but I think they need a few more years to develop.
14) Vandy.... poor Vandy.
13) Tenn.... talented but young. Give them 2 to 3 years.
10) UF.... Hargraves and Fowler are absolute studs. This defensive unit should be the best in the nation. Poor coaching will lead to several losses this year. Muschamp isn't head coaching material.
8) USCe.... the OBC will keep them competitive and win the games they're supposed to win.
7) UGA.... I still believe they are the best in the SEC East. Coaching may have lost the USCe game for them. They are just too talented across the board.
9) Mizzo.... They are still extremely talented on defensive and have a ton of weapons on offense. They just aren't talented enough to make a run again this year.

WEST
11) Arkansas.... 1 dimensional.... you stop the run, you stop Arkansas.
3) A&M.... their D may suck, but they may outscore everyone.
1) Auburn.... haven't really figure out their weakness, but I do expect them lose somewhere. The defense gives up first half points.... Arkansas should have scored more, but they gave up on the run in the second half.
6) OM.... you have to run the ball in the SEC. OM will be exposed once teams start throwing in an extra DB to cover the pass. They only average 3.9 carries.
4) LSU.... I wish we played them as the second game of the season before they figured who their starters were.
5a & 5B) State.... We will find out Saturday where we actually stand in the SEC West. But I think we can definitely hang with anyone as long Mullen doesn't out coach himself.
2) Bama.... Southern Miss loaded the box Saturday to attempt to control the run. If someone stops the run, Sims won't be able to win the game with his arm. Also, Collins peaks in the backfield a lot looking for the big hit. The CB's are 1 on 1 majority of the time. And Bama's zone is not as strong as years past. DePriest is not the leader Mosley was. A lot of holes there, but at the same time, they've only given up 2 touchdowns this year. I think the CB's get their shit together, but I'm not sure the defense can stop A&M and Auburn.

No matter what any of us think, the season has just started.

TUSK
09-14-2014, 02:36 PM
EAST
12) Kentucky.... the Florida loss will be deflating for this team. They have some good new talent, but I think they need a few more years to develop.
14) Vandy.... poor Vandy.
13) Tenn.... talented but young. Give them 2 to 3 years.
10) UF.... Hargraves and Fowler are absolute studs. This defensive unit should be the best in the nation. Poor coaching will lead to several losses this year. Muschamp isn't head coaching material.
8) USCe.... the OBC will keep them competitive and win the games they're supposed to win.
7) UGA.... I still believe they are the best in the SEC East. Coaching may have lost the USCe game for them. They are just too talented across the board.
9) Mizzo.... They are still extremely talented on defensive and have a ton of weapons on offense. They just aren't talented enough to make a run again this year.

WEST
11) Arkansas.... 1 dimensional.... you stop the run, you stop Arkansas.
3) A&M.... their D may suck, but they may outscore everyone.
1) Auburn.... haven't really figure out their weakness, but I do expect them lose somewhere. The defense gives up first half points.... Arkansas should have scored more, but they gave up on the run in the second half.
6) OM.... you have to run the ball in the SEC. OM will be exposed once teams start throwing in an extra DB to cover the pass. They only average 3.9 carries.
4) LSU.... I wish we played them as the second game of the season before they figured who their starters were.
5a & 5B) State.... We will find out Saturday where we actually stand in the SEC West. But I think we can definitely hang with anyone as long Mullen doesn't out coach himself.
2) Bama.... Southern Miss loaded the box Saturday to attempt to control the run. If someone stops the run, Sims won't be able to win the game with his arm. Also, Collins peaks in the backfield a lot looking for the big hit. The CB's are 1 on 1 majority of the time. And Bama's zone is not as strong as years past. DePriest is not the leader Mosley was. A lot of holes there, but at the same time, they've only given up 2 touchdowns this year. I think the CB's get their shit together, but I'm not sure the defense can stop A&M and Auburn.

No matter what any of us think, the season has just started.

I think like your write up better than mine... nice...

Saltydog
09-14-2014, 05:48 PM
pushing folks five yards off the ball and as physical at the point of attack as in years past. I know that's hard for you to admit but it's true.

smootness
09-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Can someone tell me what in the heck is going on with these schizo rankings haha.

Here are my rankings of fantasy QBs:
Matt Ryan - 12
Robert Griffin - 15
Drew Brees - 3
Russell Wilson - 8
Tony Romo - 10
Andrew Luck - 4
Peyton Manning - 1
Jay Cutler - 13
Cam Newton - 6
Tom Brady - 7
Philip Rivers - 14
Aaron Rodgers - 2
Nick Foles - 9
Matt Stafford - 5
Colin Kaepernick - 11

RougeDawg
09-14-2014, 07:00 PM
You're dead on, Chew... I'd like to see us hog the ball using our deep RB corps... that dink/dunk type O and those receivers can be effective vs our defense (as it is now) if Goldie Locks is on...

I think we should just run straight at Robert and keep running at him til Saban "makes his a$$ quit"...

If teams will take the Mizzou/MSU defensive approach againt OM, they may not win a SECW game this year. All you have to do is put quick pressure on BroLocks and jump the bubble screen/ling of scrimmage hitch routes. He always throws to the flats when under pressure to a WR. If your DB's give a cushion he will eat you up. Need to play bump and run inside coverage and line up to take away the quick inside slant and have LB/Safety help over the top. And you can afford to let your LBs widen out more than normal against the, because they have problems running up the middle. I hope Saban and the other coaches around the league are smart enough to watch Our approach to them last year.

TUSK
09-14-2014, 08:28 PM
pushing folks five yards off the ball and as physical at the point of attack as in years past. I know that's hard for you to admit but it's true.

On this, we agree. This OL is no where as good/"hard" as the '11 group (one of the best college O lines, ever)...

hopefully, the skill players can make up for this...