PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on today's game...

CadaverDawg
09-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Well, we started off a little slow, but once we got it going, we rolled.

I figured USA would come out fired up and playing above themselves due to all the hype down there surrounding us coming to play, and they did. However, you have to give our defense credit....we didn't always look pretty, but we shut their butts out of the Endzone. I thought we bent a little more at times than many of us would have liked, but not ever breaking was awesome to see.

Redmond got picked on a little bit today, but responded with a pick after being beaten a few times. I still think the guy is our best corner, I just think he tries to do a little too much. I would too if Bracky stole a year of my eligibility. He will make some big plays for us this year and next.

We absolutely shut their run game down, and I like to see that. I think they had like 57 yards rushing on 27 carries or something like that. And despite several open receivers, we held them under 300 yards passing. That's not great, but not a big deal either.

Offensively, we pretty much did whatever we wanted, when we wanted, after we weathered the emotional storm early. And let's not forget this was our first road game. Dak was incredible. He has got to stop keying in on one receiver, but hopefully that will be a major point of emphasis this week. And our RB's have to hold on to the football. I think we can beat LSU, but give them extra possessions and it won't happen. So glad to see Jameon back in the action, and JRob...well...he's a damn mini-Marshawn #BeastMode.

If you want to nitpick, we could complain about how poor our second team offense has looked the last few weeks, but hopefully we don't need them again until we're up 28 on LSU with about a minute left*.

So pumped that Dan cut out the rotating QB's. So glad our kickers made extra points. So glad we not only won a road game, but kicked ass in it. That game was over at halftime.

For those worried about defense, we played a large dose of our second and third team DL together today, and there were numerous series with Cleveland, Coman, Evans in the secondary. In other words, yes we had some open receivers, but it isn't as bad as it seemed at the time. And when our top DL was in the game...they got pressure. Smith with 2 sacks, BMac with a sack, CJ with a sack. It's all good.

I really would like to see our DB's be a little more physical. And most of that has to do with scheme, and probably who we were playing. But I don't like us playing so far off the WR's and allowing them to run clean routes. If we are going to do that, then we should never ever get beaten deep. No excuse for guys being open underneath AND over the top. But for some reason I just can't get too worried about Collins' defense until I see them truly cost us a game.

Nothing I have seen from LSU tells me we can't win down there next week...but we better be ready when we get off the bus. We need to avoid the slow start.

That's all I've got right now. Hail State

shoeless joe
09-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Secondary has to improve.

We are better than all scores have indicated.

This offense has more weapons than any since I've been alive.

Hope we come out clicking next week or I'm afraid we'll find ourselves down early.

CadaverDawg
09-13-2014, 08:11 PM
16 completions to 10 different receivers today, I believe. Incredible

msstate7
09-13-2014, 08:13 PM
16 completions to 10 different receivers today, I believe. Incredible

Wanna see more bear. Need him to step up next week

hailmari
09-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Yeah, we whip out the playbook next week. But if it were up to me, JRob would get 30 carries a game.

preachermatt83
09-13-2014, 08:23 PM

I figured USA would come out fired up and playing above themselves due to all the hype down there surrounding us coming to play, and they did. However, you have to give our defense credit....we didn't always look pretty, but we shut their butts out of the Endzone. I thought we bent a little more at times than many of us would have liked, but not ever breaking was awesome to see.

Redmond got picked on a little bit today, but responded with a pick after being beaten a few times. I still think the guy is our best corner, I just think he tries to do a little too much. I would too if Bracky stole a year of my eligibility. He will make some big plays for us this year and next.

We absolutely shut their run game down, and I like to see that. I think they had like 57 yards rushing on 27 carries or something like that. And despite several open receivers, we held them under 300 yards passing. That's not great, but not a big deal either.

Offensively, we pretty much did whatever we wanted, when we wanted, after we weathered the emotional storm early. And let's not forget this was our first road game. Dak was incredible. He has got to stop keying in on one receiver, but hopefully that will be a major point of emphasis this week. And our RB's have to hold on to the football. I think we can beat LSU, but give them extra possessions and it won't happen. So glad to see Jameon back in the action, and JRob...well...he's a damn mini-Marshawn #BeastMode.

If you want to nitpick, we could complain about how poor our second team offense has looked the last few weeks, but hopefully we don't need them again until we're up 28 on LSU with about a minute left*.

So pumped that Dan cut out the rotating QB's. So glad our kickers made extra points. So glad we not only won a road game, but kicked ass in it. That game was over at halftime.

For those worried about defense, we played a large dose of our second and third team DL together today, and there were numerous series with Cleveland, Coman, Evans in the secondary. In other words, yes we had some open receivers, but it isn't as bad as it seemed at the time. And when our top DL was in the game...they got pressure. Smith with 2 sacks, BMac with a sack, CJ with a sack. It's all good.

I really would like to see our DB's be a little more physical. And most of that has to do with scheme, and probably who we were playing. But I don't like us playing so far off the WR's and allowing them to run clean routes. If we are going to do that, then we should never ever get beaten deep. No excuse for guys being open underneath AND over the top. But for some reason I just can't get too worried about Collins' defense until I see them truly cost us a game.

Nothing I have seen from LSU tells me we can't win down there next week...but we better be ready when we get off the bus. We need to avoid the slow start.

Great Read!

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 08:27 PM
I've been watching the LSU game some tonight, and I have no doubt that we can go down there and win, and poooossssssiiiiibbbbblllly win by a few scores. ULM has put pressure on LSU's QB all night long, and, in general, LSU's offense hasn't looked very explosive.

We all know about our history against them, and we really don't need to talk about that anymore. The biggest thing for me, is that we have to go down to LSU ready to play a physical, clean football game.

We can't have fumbles like Shump and Robinson had today, and Dak has to be smart with the football. I realize I may sound crazy, but if we do these things, I think the Dawgs can win a 24-10-17-or 21 type game next Saturday night.

I've been very encouraged by what some of the players have been saying on twitter following our game today. You can tell that they have been looking forward to LSU and will be very focused next Saturday night.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah, we whip out the playbook next week. But if it were up to me, JRob would get 30 carries a game.

The strongest part of LSU's team this year is their secondary. Due to that, my guess is that we'll come out with a heavy dose of Dak and J Rob, and go play action off of that. It's very important that we send a physical statement to LSU early in the game.

shoeless joe
09-13-2014, 08:32 PM
I've been watching the LSU game some tonight, and I have no doubt that we can go down there and win, and poooossssssiiiiibbbbblllly win by a few scores. ULM has put pressure on LSU's QB all night long, and, in general, LSU's offense hasn't looked very explosive.

We all know about our history against them, and we really don't need to talk about that anymore. The biggest thing for me, is that we have to go down to LSU ready to play a physical, clean football game.

We can't have fumbles like Shump and Robinson had today, and Dak has to be smart with the football. I realize I may sound crazy, but if we do these things, I think the Dawgs can win a 24-10-17-or 21 type game next Saturday night.

I've been very encouraged by what some of the players have been saying on twitter following our game today. You can tell that they have been looking forward to LSU and will be very focused next Saturday night.

We gonna go for 2 three times? Otherwise not sure how we'd have 24?!?!

archdog
09-13-2014, 08:49 PM
4 tds with 4 missed xp

engie
09-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Dak is currently the #1 college fantasy player in the country. While playing ~70% of the snaps. Let that sink in.

He just looks the part next week -- he's on the national scene...

CadaverDawg
09-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Dak is currently the #1 college fantasy player in the country. While playing ~70% of the snaps. Let that sink in.

He just looks the part next week -- he's on the national scene...

Wow! If he has even a "solid" passing game, we should beat LSU. Meaning, no turnovers, and about average on yards and TD's

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Wow! If he has even a "solid" passing game, we should beat LSU. Meaning, no turnovers, and about average on yards and TD's

I'm think we are OK if he throws an interception next week, so long as it isn't a killer and us being aggressive led to it.

BeardoMSU
09-13-2014, 09:03 PM

Great read, Cadaver.

Regarding the passing D though, there were so many dropped passes on the part of their WR's, all of which were wide 17'n open, if those were caught, the stat line would probably look a lot different.

MarketingBully01
09-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Great observations as always Cadaver. :)

CadaverDawg
09-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Great read, Cadaver.

Regarding the passing D though, there were so many dropped passes on the part of their WR's, all of which were wide 17'n open, if those were caught, the stat line would probably look a lot different.

Yea, they had several guys open, but it looked like we were more worried about containing Bridge with a zone, so they found some holes. Not saying it doesn't need to tighten up, but I think Collins felt the only way they would beat us was if they either ran the ball or Bridge beat us with his legs. We made them one dimensional, and when you do that, there will be some open guys.

Will be interesting to see how we approach LSU. I'm betting we do the same thing we did vs UAB...load the box and force Jennings to beat us with his arm. Hopefully our corners play the games of their lives.

MarketingBully01
09-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Jennings doesn't scare me with his deep ball prowess. Besides, I think towards the end there our CBs were starting to get the hang of the deep ball and knock it away. Besides, LSU's big identity is to run the ball. Les isn't one to go deep ball after deep ball unless down 24-7 and if we have that kind of lead I would take my chances. I think we should have a similar game plan to what Wiscy used on them on both the defensive and offensive side of the ball. Only we mix in play action pass with the run game and take shots downfield. Dak can make those throws Wiscy's QB couldn't.

Political Hack
09-13-2014, 10:54 PM
we played zone a lot but some fans on here aren't smart enough to recognize that and lambast the guy who actually made the tackle.

two DBa had off nights tonight. That's it. Love and Irvin Sills. love got rescued multiple times by drops.

engie
09-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Today made me wonder...

All the times we lambasted Nickoe...

Were they his fault for being out of position? Or was he being overly instinctive and saving us from assignments that weren't actually his? He got lambasted for showing up 2 steps late to spots our FS's this year ain't even in the tv screen for...

TimberBeast
09-13-2014, 11:41 PM
The strongest part of LSU's team this year is their secondary. Due to that, my guess is that we'll come out with a heavy dose of Dak and J Rob, and go play action off of that. It's very important that we send a physical statement to LSU early in the game.

I would hope this is the case but I haven't seen anything from last year or this year that would indicate this, at least with JRob. The BS last year almost cost us the season, I only hope today we were trying to keep him fresh but right now this offense runs through Dak AND Robinson. We will not move the ball on SEC teams unless we run JRob like a primary back. After what we saw last year and this year, I don't have any confidence that we're going to do that.

Vandelay Industries
09-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Solid summary Cadaver. We can win next week, but we have to bring our "A" game

shoeless joe
09-14-2014, 12:17 AM
I would hope this is the case but I haven't seen anything from last year or this year that would indicate this, at least with JRob. The BS last year almost cost us the season, I only hope today we were trying to keep him fresh but right now this offense runs through Dak AND Robinson. We will not move the ball on SEC teams unless we run JRob like a primary back. After what we saw last year and this year, I don't have any confidence that we're going to do that.

For the millionth time: jrob was his own worst enemy last year when it came to playing time. Remember these guys are student athletes and dan has shown that he will sit a kid that can't get his shit together. I can't speak for today, but last year he couldn't do what was necessary away from football to play as much as we thought he should.

Dan's consistent approach on things like this is certainly something I can respect.

TimberBeast
09-14-2014, 12:41 AM
For the millionth time: jrob was his own worst enemy last year when it came to playing time. Remember these guys are student athletes and dan has shown that he will sit a kid that can't get his shit together. I can't speak for today, but last year he couldn't do what was necessary away from football to play as much as we thought he should.

Dan's consistent approach on things like this is certainly something I can respect.

Yeah I know the apologists claim this but what has changed so far this year? From what it seems Dan has something against JRob or at least something against running our big back on first damn down. We consistently put ourselves in the hole on 2nd down. I hope it won't be the case next week but I haven't seen anything yet that would make me think that we dont continue to throw on first down and put ourselves in a hole and can't get out. I'll eat crow if we change but based on our past offensive play calling I think we'll keep doing the same thing.

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 07:46 AM
Today made me wonder...

All the times we lambasted Nickoe...

Were they his fault for being out of position? Or was he being overly instinctive and saving us from assignments that weren't actually his? He got lambasted for showing up 2 steps late to spots our FS's this year ain't even in the tv screen for...

could be. I obviously didn't watch him as close as I watch Will, so I wouldn't have caught that. Will came out of his zone several times tonight reacting to the ball and made plays in other people's areas... that skinny post comes to mind in the first half, which was on the S in the middle deep third.

MetEdDawg
09-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Yesterday was a lot of Evans fault. He just got blown away. He doesn't have the speed Cox has and he just isn't as good. I don't know who will play FS next year but I really hope someone can beat Evans out.

UAB was all the CBs. They were in man a ton with no safety help over the top by design and got beat. Yesterday we had safety help with Evans but he just got beat along with the CBs this time. Someone mentioned it yesterday but Redmond is a damn hip flipper. He will flip his hips twice sometimes on a route he's covering to try and get the perfect body position, especially a go route, and that's the easiest way to get burned. Change once, then once you've read the go route, you stay on the hip side you are on, sprint with the guy, then change body position to defend once you've read that the ball is coming your way. If you try and flip a second time before you try and cover the pass you have lost at least one step and speed on the WR. That's how you get burned 4 or 5 times in 2 games like Redmond has.

Political Hack
09-14-2014, 08:29 AM
UAB was zero coverage. It was CBs.

Love had some issues yesterday too, but ultimately it was the S's. Some of them got caught biting down rather than assuming their zone. Will rescued their asses on several plays and then got blamed for "busted coverage" because he was the closest man once the ball came out the QBs hands.

I'm paying closer attention to it than I have in the past, but like Engie said, I now wonder if it was often the same issue with Nickoe. they guy was a flat out ball hawk, so it would make sense.

shoeless joe
09-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Yeah I know the apologists claim this but what has changed so far this year? From what it seems Dan has something against JRob or at least something against running our big back on first damn down. We consistently put ourselves in the hole on 2nd down. I hope it won't be the case next week but I haven't seen anything yet that would make me think that we dont continue to throw on first down and put ourselves in a hole and can't get out. I'll eat crow if we change but based on our past offensive play calling I think we'll keep doing the same thing.

This isn't something that is just "claimed" it is a fact. And seeing as how in game 1 and 2 he was the clear starter and got a majority carries one can only assume that something of the same nature popped up again...tho I do not know that for fact.