PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss gave up 193 rushing yards to ULL today

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 06:32 PM
I know, I know, we have a hole in the back of our secondary at the moment, and Ole Miss destroyed ULL today. Congrats to them, but there are some stats that should concern Ole Miss fans, and, if not, I'd like to hear why they aren't concerning.

ULL had 193 yards rushing today and 5.2 yards per carry.

From an SEC West matchup standpoint, how are they going to compete with Bama, Auburn, LSU, US, and Arkansas? I'm not even sure how A&M runs the ball.

I'd be curious how many of the ULL's rushing yards came in garbage time when Ole Miss had it's second string on the field? If ULL was running on the first team, I have no idea how Ole Miss will matchup with SEC West teams.

It's like their built to win the Pac 12

CadaverDawg
09-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Luckily you won't be hearing from them over here.

DudyDawg
09-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Can't wait to see arky beat them

msstate7
09-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Can't wait to see arky beat them

I think so too. OM is built much better to beat aTm, but I like our defense against the other sec west teams

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 06:39 PM
In comparison, MSU has now given up 240 rushing yards on the season after 3 games.

This isn't an MSU is better than Ole Miss thread, because that will take care of itself as the season progresses. But, most the SEC West teams are power running teams, and, in order to compete in the west, it would make sense that you would need to stop that to win.

If Ole Miss can't stop the run and can't run it themselves, how are they going to beat anybody?

This is a serious, unbiased question.

shoeless joe
09-13-2014, 06:41 PM
I think so too. OM is built much better to beat aTm, but I like our defense against the other sec west teams

I agree. Only lock of the season is takin a&m and the points on oct 4th.

DudyDawg
09-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Yeah. I'm sure that o/u will be ridiculous

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 06:43 PM

Yeah, that one could be tough for us, but at least we have a week off before. We will need all the prep we can get.

msstate7
09-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Not convinced we won't win, but I am convinced we'll give up a bunch of points

Tdawg
09-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Luckily you won't be hearing from them over here.

It will be Auburn before their Swiss cheese D gets exposed. Bama is trash and they are built to handle A&M. Here's to Gus

Bear@Work
09-13-2014, 07:04 PM
But, most the SEC West teams are power running teams, and, in order to compete in the west, it would make sense that you would need to stop that to win.

Have you watched an SEC game this year? Most of the teams have adapted to the hybrid up-tempo offense with outside runs. The only teams that have a power inside run game are Arkansas and Alabama. Even LSU has moved away from that. In my opinion, the defense has to stop all the other stuff first and worry about the power run game last. It's just not as dynamic considering the dynamic offenses that teams have and can counter a score with.

I hope we gash them for 500 yards on the ground and shut them out, but that would be a rarity in style of game that we'll see this year in my opinion.

msstate7
09-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Have you watched an SEC game this year? Most of the teams have adapted to the hybrid up-tempo offense with outside runs. The only teams that have a power inside run game are Arkansas and Alabama. Even LSU has moved away from that. In my opinion, the defense has to stop all the other stuff first and worry about the power run game last. It's just not as dynamic considering the dynamic offenses that teams have and can counter a score with.

I hope we gash them for 500 yards on the ground and shut them out, but that would be a rarity in style of game that we'll see this year in my opinion.

Huh? If you don't stop the inside running game first, you'll never see the other stuff. If a team can run, they won't worry about passing

Bear@Work
09-13-2014, 07:12 PM
msstate7 = Bret Beliema?

There's a reason the game has changed and people make fun of Arkansas. Granted, they showed in front of Texas Tech today, but they're still looking at 0-8 in the SEC. If you're mostly one dimensional which ULL was against the Bears today, that's not gonna get it done. When you get in the red zone and the field is shortened and the defense is more prepared for the run, what are you going to do? Settle for 3. Not gonna cut it.

blacklistedbully
09-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Our secondary better get their shit together fast. I am now nervous about Ole Miss. Even though I think we'll stuff their run, I have little faith in our ability to stop their passing, even if we know it's coming.

Bear@Work
09-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Our secondary better get their shit together fast. I am now nervous about Ole Miss. Even though I think we'll stuff their run, I have little faith in our ability to stop their passing, even if we know it's coming.

Thank you. This is what I'm getting at. A good passing attack scores much more efficiently than a good rushing attack. Even if you know it's coming. I hate to see it, but OM has done really well stopping the pass and allowing the run which has a lesser tendency for a big gain than a big pass. Once you get inside the 20, this has limited upside and good pass D wins out.

Again, considering the way offenses have shifted around the country, I'd much rather have a stout passing D than a rushing D. If we could stop the outside run and passing game like them considering our offense, I like our chances against any team in the nation.

Really Clark?
09-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Thank you. This is what I'm getting at. A good passing attack scores much more efficiently than a good rushing attack. Even if you know it's coming. I hate to see it, but OM has done really well stopping the pass and allowing the run which has a lesser tendency for a big gain than a big pass. Once you get inside the 20, this has limited upside and good pass D wins out.

Again, considering the way offenses have shifted around the country, I'd much rather have a stout passing D than a rushing D. If we could stop the outside run and passing game like them considering our offense, I like our chances against any team in the nation.

Name the last team to win the SEC as high powered throwing team.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 07:51 PM

You think Ole Miss has a high powered throwing attack?

We'll see about that when they actually play someone. Remember, Wallace still doesn't have a good arm, and your offensive line can't block anyone for very long.

War Machine Dawg
09-13-2014, 07:58 PM

We'll see about that when they actually play someone. Remember, Wallace still doesn't have a good arm, and your offensive line can't block anyone for very long.

How is Bear even still around? He's clearly a troll, and a bad one at that.

Bear@Work
09-13-2014, 08:09 PM
How is Bear even still around? He's clearly a troll, and a bad one at that.

Guaranteed I'm more true maroon than you are. My family goes back at least 4 generations of dawgs. I've been going to game games since probably before you were even born. My grandpa used to sell peanuts at the games and we came from nothing. Every Thanksgiving my dad tells the story of watching us beat Alabama 6-3 in person. Take that garbage elsewhere. If I'm a troll, I fear for our fanbase.

I'm OK with the Bears because there are a lot in my family (somehow) and I see some positives in their game but that doesnt make me any less a dawg. If you guys want to start a witch hunt, there are plenty of strange posters to start with and I'm not one. My blood pressure is up just thinking about it.

messageboardsuperhero
09-13-2014, 08:10 PM

On November 16, 2013, UM threw for 370 passing yards on 32 attempts, with 4 TDs against Troy.

The next two weeks (against Mizzou and MSU), they combined for 454 yards on 86 attempts, with 0 TDs and 4 INTs.

Let's wait until they play a team with a pulse before putting UM on the same level as A&M. I have been impressed with the timing Bo Wallace has with his receivers- those intermediate timing routes are, to me, what he is best at.

DudyDawg
09-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Guaranteed I'm more true maroon than you are. My family goes back at least 4 generations of dawgs. I've been going to game games since probably before you were even born. My grandpa used to sell peanuts at the games and we came from nothing. Every Thanksgiving my dad tells the story of watching us beat Alabama 6-3 in person. Take that garbage elsewhere. If I'm a troll, I fear for our fanbase.

I'm OK with the Bears because there are a lot in my family (somehow) and I see some positives in their game but that doesnt make me any less a dawg. If you guys want to start a witch hunt, there are plenty of strange posters to start with and I'm not one. My blood pressure is up just thinking about it.

In fairness, the name doesn't help

monroedawg5646
09-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Well I just got home from that shit show in Oxford. (Wife is OM grad) The rushing yards are legit. ULL had a couple nice drives in the first half. One that ended with a fumble at about the OM 5 and one ended with a FG. Their Dline wast very impressive. On offense they only had a couple drives I can remember. ULL was playing a soft zone and it was screen left, screen right, curl in the middle of the field. Most of their scores came on long single plays. Also Bro's arm is still garbage. Had a kind TD pass that was a lame duck that would have been picked if ULL had ANY speed on D. Simply put, not impressed

Bear@Work
09-13-2014, 08:28 PM
In fairness, the name doesn't help

When I signed up I picked the name to make fun of the GP'ers that always had stories of bears at work that were pretty insane. It was relevant at the time.

If I had to pick a new one today I'd probably go with ADixonYourMouth or AshleyCoopersTNTCo.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Well I just got home from that shit show in Oxford. (Wife is OM grad) The rushing yards are legit. ULL had a couple nice drives in the first half. One that ended with a fumble at about the OM 5 and one ended with a FG. Their Dline wast very impressive. On offense they only had a couple drives I can remember. ULL was playing a soft zone and it was screen left, screen right, curl in the middle of the field. Most of their scores came on long single plays. Also Bro's arm is still garbage. Had a kind TD pass that was a lame duck that would have been picked if ULL had ANY speed on D. Simply put, not impressed

This makes sense. I don't think Ole Miss is a bad team, but I believe their success comes in ways that won't/don't work in SEC West games. Their built to win the Pac 12

DudyDawg
09-13-2014, 08:40 PM
When I signed up I picked the name to make fun of the GP'ers that always had stories of bears at work that were pretty insane. It was relevant at the time.

If I had to pick a new one today I'd probably go with ADixonYourMouth or AshleyCoopersTNTCo.

Haha not saying you aren't a dawg or are, just pointing that out. I know the reference though

JDog13
09-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Here's a cool stat.

OM rushed for 214 yards on 35 carries.

Take away the 2 big runs they broke
Mathers 56 yards
Walton 71 yards

And they rushed for 87 yards on 33 carries.
A massive 2.6 ypc.

I think the SEC will eat their rb's alive.

TUSK
09-13-2014, 09:49 PM
I know, I know, we have a hole in the back of our secondary at the moment, and Ole Miss destroyed ULL today. Congrats to them, but there are some stats that should concern Ole Miss fans, and, if not, I'd like to hear why they aren't concerning.

ULL had 193 yards rushing today and 5.2 yards per carry.

From an SEC West matchup standpoint, how are they going to compete with Bama, Auburn, LSU, US, and Arkansas? I'm not even sure how A&M runs the ball.

I'd be curious how many of the ULL's rushing yards came in garbage time when Ole Miss had it's second string on the field? If ULL was running on the first team, I have no idea how Ole Miss will matchup with SEC West teams.

It's like their built to win the Pac 12

If my xls is correct, ULL had only 19 rushing yards in the 4th...

messageboardsuperhero
09-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Here's a cool stat.

OM rushed for 214 yards on 35 carries.

Take away the 2 big runs they broke
Mathers 56 yards
Walton 71 yards

And they rushed for 87 yards on 33 carries.
A massive 2.6 ypc.

I think the SEC will eat their rb's alive.

UM is a big play offense.

If they aren't breaking explosive, 40+ yard TDs, it's going to be hard for them to score. See almost every game they played against good defenses last year.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2014, 11:43 PM
UM is a big play offense.

If they aren't breaking explosive, 40+ yard TDs, it's going to be hard for them to score. See almost every game they played against good defenses last year.

True

Tomorrow, they have a chance to possibly be the worst Top 10 in college football history.

JScottDova
09-14-2014, 08:31 AM
True

Tomorrow, they have a chance to possibly be the worst Top 10 in college football history.

I don't know. #4 in 2009 was pretty bad.