PDA

View Full Version : Just how good is this baseball team?

engie
05-24-2013, 10:18 AM
We need to take a moment to realize this -- and savor it. It's been a LONG time since an MSU team put together a better overall resume than this one has. I was 6 years old the last time that it happened....

By win percentage:

1979 - 48-12(Omaha)
1970 - 32-8(Super-Regional equivalent aka regional final in 26 team format)
1989 - 54-14(Super-Regional equivalent aka regional final in 48 team format)
1985 - 50-15(Omaha -- 3rd overall)
1984 - 45-16(Super-Regional equivalent aka regional final in 36 team format)
1983 - 42-15(Super-Regional equivalent aka regional final in 36 team format)
1981 - 46-17(Omaha)
2013 - 43-16 -- ??

This will, basically inevitably, be our best win percentage since 1989 -- against one of the toughest overall schedules that I can remember us facing. This team is better, by record, than our last FOUR Omaha teams -- and our last seven Super-Regional(or equivalent) teams.

We're just a shade ahead of where I thought we would be in the preseason(and I caught some grief for predicting it and sticking with it through the bad points of the season) despite not having our two best MLB arm talents make any significant contribution at any point this year.

How good would LSU be without Nola and Eades? How good would Vandy be withing Ziomek and Beede?

This team has overachieved this season -- and they've done it in the face of some pretty significant adversity...

CadaverDawg
05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Good stuff.

Goat Holder
05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Still a year away from being a true national title contender, I don't think we have the starting pitching to do it just yet. I think we can make Omaha for sure, but winning it will be tough. Super regional will be tough too. We are capable of making a run though, and with some luck we can win it all. Just don't have the overall talent to string enough wins together vs. elite teams IMO.

maroonmania
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
All I know is its freakin' GREAT to be relevant in college baseball again! Been a long time coming.