PDA

View Full Version : Best QB in the SEC

starkvegasdawg
09-12-2014, 02:37 PM
SDS asked which SEC QB you would want on your team.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-debate-best-qb/

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Where's Bo?*

People picking Kenny Hill are not smart IMO. Did they not learn anything about Sumlin's system from this new awesome QB showing up game 1 of his career? It's the system, not the QB. Don't get me wrong, Hill is solid, but without Sumlin who knows if we would even know who Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel, or Kenny Hill are? Same with Marshall and Malzahn.

Not saying Dak is an obvious choice yet, either...but the Kenny Hill talk is a little extreme this early on IMO. This question can't be answered unless we're told what style of offense. I would say Dak has more ability to play in multiple styles of offense than any of the names listed though.

Dawg61
09-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Too early to tell but I'd say four stand alone right now, Hill, Dak, Mauk, Marshall. I think Marshall is the only one of the four that if you put on any other team in the SEC he wouldn't be nearly as effective. Marshall is a RB/Ath that just throws the ball twenty times a game.

Dawg61
09-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Where's Bo?*

People picking Kenny Hill are stupid IMO. Did they not learn anything about Sumlin's system from this new awesome QB showing up game 1 of his career? It's a system, not a QB. Don't get me wrong, Hill is solid, but without Sumlin who knows if we would even know who Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel, or Kenny Hill are? Same with Marshall and Malzahn.

Not saying Dak is an obvious choice yet, either...but the Kenny Hill talk is a little extreme this early on IMO. This question can't be answered unless we're told what style of offense. I would say Dak has more ability to play in multiple styles of offense than any of the names listed though.

Kenny Hill is very talented. Just watch how he moves in the pocket and the combination of touch and arm strength he has. It's impressive. That's not a system. Manziel is a much better downfield runner and is elite in elusiveness but Hill might have the better arm/touch.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Kenny Hill is very talented. Just watch how he moves in the pocket and the combination of touch and arm strength he has. It's impressive. That's not a system. Manziel is a much better downfield runner and is elite in elusiveness but Hill might have the better arm/touch.

I didn't say he wasn't talented. I just said, it's the system making him stand out so much early on in my opinion. No doubt the guy is talented.

Dawg61
09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I didn't say he wasn't talented. I just said, it's the system making him stand out so much early on in my opinion. No doubt the guy is talented.

Go back and watch the highlights of the USCe game and just watch him in the pocket and the touch/strength of his arm. Ignore the score and just watch him.

thf24
09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle on Hill. He's definitely talented, but you can't deny that Sumlin's system can make a decent QB a superstar. I think Tyler Russell could throw for 4,000 yards in it.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle on Hill. He's definitely talented, but you can't deny that Sumlin's system can make a decent QB a superstar. I think Tyler Russell could throw for 4,000 yards in it.

completely agree with this.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Go back and watch the highlights of the USCe game and just watch him in the pocket and the touch/strength of his arm. Ignore the score and just watch him.

Case Keenum looked incredible too, as did Manziel. I watched him...he looks good. But until I see one of Sumlin's guys transition into a good QB outside of his system, I will continue to think it has more to do with his system than the QB. Again, I'm not saying Hill isn't talented, but it's going to take more than 2 games in Sumlin's offense for me to crown him a "great QB"

Dawg61
09-12-2014, 02:59 PM

No doubt the system is helping him tremendously for padding the stats. Sumlin loves to throw the ball vertically and Hill has some seriously talented WR in Noil and Seals-Jones. Hill is getting lots of help all over the field.

Goat Holder
09-12-2014, 03:06 PM

Are you sure? Houston went 5-7 without Keenum one year. Manziel and Hill were both highly regarded out of HS. And if anything, Johnny was not really tailor made for Sumlin, he was so good because of his running.

Sumlin is a great coach, don't get me wrong. But it takes both. Petrino is another that seems to make guys look a step above what they are thought to be.

borne
09-12-2014, 03:07 PM
From the small sample size we've seen this year Kenny Hill has been far and away the best quarterback in the league. This may drastically change when he plays a defense worth a damn though.

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Kenny Hill has played 2 games. I'm not judging the best qb in the SEC off of 2 games. Hutson Mason may end up being the best qb in the SEC because every team will be loading the box to stop Gurley and Chubb. He'll be seeing one-on-one's all year. But when it comes to State, I want Dak back there.

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 03:17 PM
From the small sample size we've seen this year Kenny Hill has been far and away the best quarterback in the league. This may drastically change when he plays a defense worth a damn though.

How has he been the best qb in the league this year? His qb rating is 4th or 5th best in the SEC. Are you just saying that because he beat a South Carolina team that squeaked by East Carolina?

borne
09-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Kenny Hill has played 2 games. I'm not judging the best qb in the SEC off of 2 games. Hutson Mason may end up being the best qb in the SEC because every team will be loading the box to stop Gurley and Chubb. He'll be seeing one-on-one's all year. But when it comes to State, I want Dak back there.

I agree 100% that when it comes to state that Dak is the only answer to that question. But the question was who is the best in the SEC. Kenny Hill's number so far are the best and that is what we have to look at. Dak's have been very good and I think will be much better when we play quality opponents and at the end of the year I expect Dak to look like the most valuable player in the SEC with maybe Gurley competing for that title.

thf24
09-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Houston went 5-7 without Keenum one year.

2010, right? Didn't they have to play a true freshman, who also got hurt? I'll amend my earlier condition to a decent, experienced QB.

joedog
09-12-2014, 03:29 PM
How about this article on the new SEC QB crop that doesn't even mention Dak?
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/crop-talented-sec-quarterbacks-emerge-210623807--ncaaf.html

Then look at the SEC QB's stats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/bycategory?cat=Passing&conference=I-A_SEC&year=2014&sort=5

Notice who has the most TD's? Dak is tied with Matty. In fact their stats are very close across the board. But no mention of Dak.

#mediagonnahate

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Here are the current stats for the top SEC qbs:

Maty Mauk: 34 - 53 for 503 yards, 8 td's, 2 ints, and 2 sacks (186.1 rating)

Dak Prescott: 30 - 51 for 495 yards, 8 td's, 2 ints, and 2 sacks (184.3 rating)

Bo Wallace: 48 - 66 for 707 yards, 5 td's, 3 ints, and 5 sacks (178.6 rating)

Brandon Allen: 22 - 36 for 292 yards, 6 td's, 1 int, and 1 sack (178.7 rating)

Kenny Hill: 61 - 86 - 794 yards, 7 td's, 0 ints, and 1 sack (175.3 rating)

I will admit, Hill has the most yards with no ints. That's an impressive stat. But I still don't buy him being the best SEC qb yet.

thf24
09-12-2014, 03:32 PM

I will admit, Hill has the most yards with no ints. That's an impressive stat. But I still don't buy him being the best SEC qb yet.

Dat o-line... ouch. They're in for a rude awakening the first time they play a decent front.

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 03:36 PM
By the way, Dak only needs 2 more touchdown passes to equal his last year's total

joedog
09-12-2014, 03:38 PM

Yeah Hill has the most yards but look at the attempts. Not to mention Dak is the 12th leading rusher in the SEC. Which brings me to another point. JRob is second in yardage and is getting no love from the media.

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 03:39 PM
If say Dak, Hill, Mauck, and then Marshall. I don't think he'd do well in the other offenses, but I think the others could translate their game to any offense.

I don't think there's but 3 better QBs in the country right now than Dak: Taysom, Mariotta, and Petty.

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Yeah Hill has the most yards but look at the attempts. Not to mention Dak is the 12th leading rusher in the SEC. Which brings me to another point. JRob is second in yardage and is getting no love from the media.

Well.... Preston Smith is also tied with the most interceptions. It's only the third week in the season. Also, Gurley has only played one game and had 198 yards rushing that game. All of these stats will be different come end of November.

joedog
09-12-2014, 03:52 PM
I agree 100% that the sample data size is just to small with only 2 weeks into the season but how can you have an article about the new starting QB's in the SEC and not have Dak even mentioned in it? I just don't get it.

TUSK
09-12-2014, 03:52 PM
I gotta pimp my boy:

http://thesouthlands.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/blake-sims-gif.gif

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 04:38 PM
I gotta pimp my boy:

He kind of looks confused there Tusk

Bully Dee Williams
09-12-2014, 04:52 PM
I've heard 4 former SEC head coaches (including JWS) say this week they aren't sold on ATM or Kenny Hill completely, yet. JWS said he thinks USCe will end up having one of the worst defenses in the SEC this year and Lamar is Lamar. I'm not saying Hill won't have a monster year, but we should probably see some more games before crowning him the best qb.

TUSK
09-12-2014, 05:24 PM
He kind of looks confused there Tusk

oops, forgot the *** (It was a joke)....

yeah, that was last year, I think... He's done better this year than I expected... I don't think his arm is strong enough, though...

Goat Holder
09-12-2014, 05:27 PM
I gotta pimp my boy:

Preston Smith is going to eat him

TUSK
09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Preston Smith is going to eat him

Hell, if that big bastard gets in Sims' area code, he (Sims) will be off to the races... that cat is huge...

I'm not sweating QB protection this year as much as this time last year... of course, a lot of that has to do with the up tempo style, quick screens and hitches Bammer throws...

Bully Dee Williams
09-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Dat o-line... ouch. They're in for a rude awakening the first time they play a decent front.

On top of the sacks, OM is #12 in the conference and #96 in rushing. Their oline has also allowed the most tackles for loss in the conference with 19. They are going to get pounded against a real defense.

DownwardDawg
09-12-2014, 06:10 PM
I gotta pimp my boy:

Haha!! That's hilarious.

starkvegasdawg
09-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I gotta pimp my boy:

Robert Kimdashian asks how much for an around the world.

TUSK
09-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Robert Kimdashian asks how much for an around the world.

No "around the world" on the menu...

How about Robert can suck it?

http://www.lostlettermen.com/wp-content/uploads/blake-sims-dx.gif

OR, there's the always popular "Shocker"!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1683733/daring.gif

It_Could_Happen
09-13-2014, 01:30 AM
If say Dak, Hill, Mauck, and then Marshall. I don't think he'd do well in the other offenses, but I think the others could translate their game to any offense.

I don't think there's but 3 better QBs in the country right now than Dak: Taysom, Mariotta, and Petty.

Famous Jameis may have something to say about that.

Dawg61
09-13-2014, 01:35 AM

Man that formula is messed up. In what world does Bo Wallace have a higher rating than Hill just looking at those numbers? Is yards per completion 80% of the weight because Hill slaughters him in everything else. Thanks for letting me know that QB rating is a completely worthless stat though.