PDA

View Full Version : Nick griffin

msstate7
09-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Anyone know why he only got 2 carries last week? Holloway got 8. Has holloway become 2nd string?

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I gave up trying to understand the logic of some of our coaches decisions. Maybe they're just trying to figure out his purpose on the team. Because come SEC play, I don't see him getting very many snaps.

maroonmania
09-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Anyone know why he only got 2 carries last week? Holloway got 8. Has holloway become 2nd string?

Because we needed Holloway to run between the Tackles in the 4th quarter to wear down the defense.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 02:59 PM

We were looking for a homerun, and Holloway is a homerun threat...haven't you heard? I mean, he does have zero Homeruns outside of the one scrimmage.**

#ThingsThatMakeYouWantToSmashYourFaceIntoAWall

MetEdDawg
09-12-2014, 03:00 PM
I gave up trying to understand the logic of some of our coaches decisions. Maybe they're just trying to figure out his purpose on the team. Because come SEC play, I don't see him getting very many snaps.

That's all these first three weeks are to Mullen and staff. To figure out everyone's purpose. What they can and can't do, what situations they can be trusted to be in, what kind of role they are going to play. That's why we are subbing so much.

We have the chance to use the first few weeks as a testing phase like preseason. We haven't had that in recent memory because we typically play Auburn week 2. Why not figure out who can do what so that when we go to Baton Rouge we know exactly who can play in what situations? That's why I don't care about victory margains early season. I care about getting personnel right for when we play games that actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

preachermatt83
09-12-2014, 03:10 PM

that is the kind of crap that drives me absolutely insane. If Holloway is getting 8 carries a game in SEC play and Nick is getting 2 we will deserve to lose.

borne
09-12-2014, 03:14 PM
We can't put any weight on the number of carries any running back gets right now. We have to keep our backs healthy and the best way to do that is to rest your backs and keep their number of carries to a minimum. We know what we are getting with Griffin, Holloway on the other hand needs some experience.

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 03:32 PM
We can't put any weight on the number of carries any running back gets right now. We have to keep our backs healthy and the best way to do that is to rest your backs and keep their number of carries to a minimum. We know what we are getting with Griffin, Holloway on the other hand needs some experience.

And about 40 lbs if he's going to run between the tackles

mic
09-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Why does it bother everyone so much that Holloway is getting carries in these first 2 games?
I'm sure we haven't shown half our offensive play book yet. There has been no need to
On defense we have been very basic.
No I don't Think Holloway is a between the tackles guy. Maybe our staff is challenging our OL to open holes for him .
We know what we have with JRob. I'm sure the staff knows what it can and can't get from Griffin at this point in his career. I bet we see Shump get more carries tomorrow. I do know this from what I have seen in practice and scrimmages. If Holloway can get free and in a little open space he is gone

The one thing I wanted to see was what Williams could do. I still wish, if he is ready , we would pull his redshirt and play him. You can never have enough RB for sec play. But if he isn't ready then it's the best move for him to not play him.

quickstrike2
09-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure, maybe there was a reason. I had hoped after Perkins left that we wouldn't have a smaller, quicker type back to pound in between the tackles. However, we found one, although we did have to move him from receiver to get this accomplished.

And I'm not just purposely bitching at Mullen, I like the guy and what he is doing at State. I just never have got the pounding a small back when we should be getting him in space thing.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Keeping it vanilla = The kiss of death from 2012

It's a 12 game season, and they're 20 year olds. Rest is for the other 8 months of the year. If you think Mullen will change a bunch of stuff when SEC play starts...you haven't paid attention the last 5 years.

I'm not knocking Mullen...just saying he doesn't typically change much from OOC to SEC

FlabLoser
09-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Holloway is a situational RB. Stop bitching that he was in on 4th & short or something. That was the exception.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure, maybe there was a reason. I had hoped after Perkins left that we wouldn't have a smaller, quicker type back to pound in between the tackles. However, we found one, although we did have to move him from receiver to get this accomplished.

And I'm not just purposely bitching at Mullen, I like the guy and what he is doing at State. I just never have got the pounding a small back when we should be getting him in space thing.

+1

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Holloway is a situational RB. Stop bitching that he was in on 4th & short or something. That was the exception.

He should be our Sproles...or our victory cigar.

mic
09-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Keeping it vanilla = The kiss of death from 2012

It's a 12 game season, and they're 20 year olds. Rest is for the other 8 months of the year. If you think Mullen will change a bunch of stuff when SEC play starts...you haven't paid attention the last 5 years.

I'm not knocking Mullen...just saying he doesn't typically change much from OOC to SEC

So coaches don't change from year to year.. .?
Play as many guys as u can in these first 3 games as long as you win
Get some guys in game experience not just late blowout mop up minutes with injuries bound to happen these guys will have to step in big time roles later
I will be the first to say I WAS WRONG if CDM and staff play the S eC games the same way we play and will play these first 3
Just because we didn't cover the spread for most of u on here against UAB everyone is pissed
If we played starters 3/4 of the first 2 games everyone would be bitching about why aren't we playing our younger guys more. Why is DW not getting more snaps.?

I'm glad we have played DW early in these games. Get him ready again if we need him in games not just mop up roles. I hope he is in there the 3rd possession tomorrow..

We could have won these first 3 games all in blowouts or closer games it doesn't matter. The measuring stick is the next 3. After that we will have a good idea how the 2nd half of the season will go...

Dog316
09-12-2014, 07:18 PM
that is the kind of crap that drives me absolutely insane. If Holloway is getting 8 carries a game in SEC play and Nick is getting 2 we will deserve to lose.

^^^^^^^^

Probably didn't have to drive you too far. But it seems to have gotten you there.