PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPhone 6 vs. Galaxy S5

Big4Dawg
09-12-2014, 12:27 PM
I've been waiting to get a new phone until they announced the 6, but I wasn't that impressed. Does anyone have the Galaxy S5 and what are your thoughts?

Was anyone impressed with the iphone 6? I didn't hear anything that was much different than the past besides camera better and bigger screen.

I don't have any apple products besides my iPhone 5, so I'm not fully invested in apple. I don't really care about that many apps, just use phone for texting, internet, and twitter really.

chainedup_Dawg
09-12-2014, 12:57 PM
I've been waiting to get a new phone until they announced the 6, but I wasn't that impressed. Does anyone have the Galaxy S5 and what are your thoughts?

Was anyone impressed with the iphone 6? I didn't hear anything that was much different than the past besides camera better and bigger screen.

I don't have any apple products besides my iPhone 5, so I'm not fully invested in apple. I don't really care about that many apps, just use phone for texting, internet, and twitter really.

I don't have either, just recently got the S4 because I was due for an upgrade and my old phone had crapped out. All of my family and coworkers have iPhones and all have had issues to some extent. I will tell you this, I will never own another phone that is not a Samsung Galaxy product.

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 01:08 PM
I have a Galaxy S3, and I'll be switching to an iPhone at my next upgrade. It can't be used as a USB, meaning I can't put music on it or transfer pics from my phone to my laptop. It's awful and an inexcusable move from Samsung. If you can't sync your phone to your computer, it's almost not worth having. USB connectivity should be mandatory. And my sister has a S4 that has the same problem, so it's definitely a Samsung thing. That said, I do like the phone otherwise. But I got a Macbook last Christmas, so it's going to be less hassle for me to just go all in with Apple.

From what I've read, Apple seriously upgraded the processor in the iPhone 6, so it should run faster and smoother. I'm disappointed they didn't make a serious upgrade to the camera, though. Only 8 megapixels? C'mon, mane. No excuse for that in an area where most competitor phones will have double digit MP cameras.

hacker
09-12-2014, 01:14 PM
I have a Galaxy S3, and I'll be switching to an iPhone at my next upgrade. It can't be used as a USB, meaning I can't put music on it or transfer pics from my phone to my laptop. It's awful and an inexcusable move from Samsung. If you can't sync your phone to your computer, it's almost not worth having. USB connectivity should be mandatory. And my sister has a S4 that has the same problem, so it's definitely a Samsung thing.

1) you can definitely do that on a Galaxy. I've done it before. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000003/7136/48525/SGH-I897ZKAATT
2) you can't do that on an iPhone, except sync up stuff via iTunes, iPhoto, iCloud etc. You can't just browse an iPhone like an external hard drive like you can on an android.

SignalToNoise
09-12-2014, 01:16 PM
I have a Galaxy S3, and I'll be switching to an iPhone at my next upgrade. It can't be used as a USB, meaning I can't put music on it or transfer pics from my phone to my laptop. It's awful and an inexcusable move from Samsung. If you can't sync your phone to your computer, it's almost not worth having. USB connectivity should be mandatory. And my sister has a S4 that has the same problem, so it's definitely a Samsung thing. That said, I do like the phone otherwise. But I got a Macbook last Christmas, so it's going to be less hassle for me to just go all in with Apple.

From what I've read, Apple seriously upgraded the processor in the iPhone 6, so it should run faster and smoother. I'm disappointed they didn't make a serious upgrade to the camera, though. Only 8 megapixels? C'mon, mane. No excuse for that in an area where most competitor phones will have double digit MP cameras.

Concerning megapixels, 8 is enough. Anything after 12MP is overkill. Noise immunity at higher ISO and a larger sensor would really take the iPhone camera to the next level, but I don't know if there are any larger sensors that would also fit inside the housing of a pocket-sized device.

Dawg496
09-12-2014, 01:19 PM
If you're going Android, try to go close to stock Android.

Samsung's "TouchWiz" skin on top of Android is just bloatware that does nothing to better your experience.

Go Motorola, which is $99 on contract, or if you can, go with the Nexus line, it's the only phone designed and curated by Google (the makers of Android). This year's Nexus phone is rumored to be manufactured by Moto as well.

rabbitthedawg
09-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Man...get in Iphone...there is no comparison.

shrimp
09-12-2014, 01:53 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I have a Windows Phone and love it. I have an iPhone through work; not that impressed with it. Windows Phone does lack a little in terms of apps, but if that's not your thing, it's an awesome smart phone. And you get a decent amount of space in the Microsoft Cloud, OneDrive.

jimbo352
09-12-2014, 02:18 PM
]I have a Galaxy S3, and I'll be switching to an iPhone at my next upgrade. It can't be used as a USB, meaning I can't put music on it or transfer pics from my phone to my laptop. It's awful and an inexcusable move from Samsung. If you can't sync your phone to your computer, it's almost not worth having. USB connectivity should be mandatory. And my sister has a S4 that has the same problem, so it's definitely a Samsung thing. T[/B]hat said, I do like the phone otherwise. But I got a Macbook last Christmas, so it's going to be less hassle for me to just go all in with Apple.

You're doing something wrong... The reason I went away from Apple years ago, was because I wanted to browse pictures/videos/etc like an external hard drive... It's easier to pull that stuff off of an android phone than it is an apple phone. You're also not stuck with Itunes(satan)... Hell, if you need one program to sync your stuff to like Apple, I'm pretty sure there's an itunes for android that you can sync your phone to.

jumbo
09-12-2014, 02:20 PM
preordered my iphone 6 this morning

jimbo352
09-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Anywho... I have the Galaxy S5 active... Great phone, but you do have to do a little maintenance and clean up all of the extra crap that's on the phone. Not hard, just takes some time. About a month ago, I walked into the ocean with my S5 Active, and it was under water for at least 2 minutes... No problem... Just walked back to the beach and rinsed it off under the outdoor shower.

DawgHouseUnited
09-12-2014, 02:26 PM
You're doing something wrong... The reason I went away from Apple years ago, was because I wanted to browse pictures/videos/etc like an external hard drive... It's easier to pull that stuff off of an android phone than it is an apple phone. You're also not stuck with Itunes(satan)... Hell, if you need one program to sync your stuff to like Apple, I'm pretty sure there's an itunes for android that you can sync your phone to.

I tried looking into it, there's some app that will let you get your itunes music onto an android, but I don't know about video/etc purchased through itunes.

DawgHouseUnited
09-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Anywho... I have the Galaxy S5 active... Great phone, but you do have to do a little maintenance and clean up all of the extra crap that's on the phone. Not hard, just takes some time. About a month ago, I walked into the ocean with my S5 Active, and it was under water for at least 2 minutes... No problem... Just walked back to the beach and rinsed it off under the outdoor shower.

Was waiting at best buy a few weeks ago and watched the Samsung rep walking around with his galaxy phone in a plastic tub of water, playing a movie. He said he just walks around with it swimming like that to start conversations.

jimbo352
09-12-2014, 02:49 PM
I tried looking into it, there's some app that will let you get your itunes music onto an android, but I don't know about video/etc purchased through itunes.

I remember double twist pulling all of my personal music/pictures/videos off of itunes when I got my first android... I don't know about movies that were bought though... Hmm...

I've just never had a problem transferring music/pictures/video from phone to computer with samsung, and I had the galaxy 3...

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 02:58 PM
1) you can definitely do that on a Galaxy. I've done it before. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000003/7136/48525/SGH-I897ZKAATT
2) you can't do that on an iPhone, except sync up stuff via iTunes, iPhoto, iCloud etc. You can't just browse an iPhone like an external hard drive like you can on an android.

Not on the S3. I've downloaded software, taken it to the store, made sure debugging mode was on, Googled the hell out of it. Samsung just didn't make USB compatibility for the S3 or S4, from everything I've researched and tried. Sucks, but whatever. I'll definitely be going to the iPhone 6.

Bothrops
09-12-2014, 05:10 PM
iphone..meh it's become like a status thing. I like the freedom of android better. I have over 500 songs loaded on my Galaxy 3 and didn't pay a penny for any of them.

defiantdog
09-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Android apps' crash too much and they don't utilize the 64 bit processing speeds correctly (mainly because of all the different platforms provided). The iPhone is a solid product that effectively uses its enhancements. I was an android guy since the G1 but their products have not progressed as well as Apple lately. I switched over because of all the platform issues android was having. The iPhone is more user friendly as well. And I don't buy that freedom crap. You should never root or jailbreak a phone. It's a phone.... don't jeopardize your warranty and / or contract because you want to tether something.

DownwardDawg
09-12-2014, 06:04 PM
This will be my last iphone. I've had Galaxy and iphones, and I prefer the android much more. Apple is a pain in the ass.

Dawg496
09-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Android apps' crash too much and they don't utilize the 64 bit processing speeds correctly (mainly because of all the different platforms provided).

Android L (unreleased as of yet) is the first Android version which provides support for the 64-bit architecture. If I'm not mistaken, Apple's A7 chip was the first 64-bit chip, with the A8 powering the iPhone 6.

All this to say, not sure what you mean.

sleepy dawg
09-12-2014, 06:42 PM
The only Apple products I use are iPhones. I can get a new phone of my choice every year for free through work. I have found iPhones to be far superior to all other phones when it comes to reliability.

As far as the megapixels are concerned, it is completely irrelevant. The quality of your pictures won't matter past about 3 really. I won't go into the technical details as to why, as this subject is covered widely on the internet. A quick google search can explain better anyway.

That said though, I also have a strong preference for "smaller" phones. I can't stand a huge ass phone in my pocket, so I definitely won't be getting the 6+, nor would I want the Galaxy 5 for the same reason.

RTO Dawg
09-13-2014, 06:50 AM
I have a Iphone5 and when its time to upgrade I will have a Iphone6.

Dawg61
09-13-2014, 07:08 AM
I can not wait for the day all the hipster douche bags in this world stop shitting all over the iPhone

fishwater99
09-13-2014, 09:33 AM

You can use the iPhone like a HD, I do it all the time to cut and paste pictures.