PDA

View Full Version : This Week in GA Football Commits

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Last year, I did a regular rundown of Nick Fitzgerald and Elijah Staley and results of their games. Both were easy with Nick being here on the coast and Elijah being from my hometown HS rival - so I knew what to follow to get game info.

This year, there are two GA commits again - Trey Derouen, OG from Parkview High School and Kentavious Thomas, RB from Baldwin County HS.

It has taken a little more leg-work - and I have been swamped, but I thought I would bring this feature back now that we are a couple of games into the HS season and getting into region play here in the Empire State of the South. So, to catch up.....

Trey Derouen, OG with the Parkview Panthers in Gwinnett County. They play in region 8-6A, which includes regular powerhouse Grayson (school of the Kimdeeshian sisters from OM). Parkview traditionally has a strong program, with the school producing some top talent like Jon & Matt Stinchcomb, Jeff Francouer (who was a helluva HS football player), and Vandy great Ainsley Battles. Parkview has started the season 1-1, with what appear to be mirror opposite games - a 45-21 win against Mountain View and 24-41 loss to Peachtree Ridge. There are no notes about his performance, but Parkview's top RB had 247 yards rushing in a loss to Peachtree Ridge - so hopefully he ran them all right behind Trey's blocks. This week is a rivalry game against Brookwood (0-2), and the beginning of the race for the 8-6A title.

Kentavious Thomas leads the Baldwin Braves as a star RB. Baldwin has built a solid program over the past 20 years, but is coming off a disappointing 3-7 season. They have a couple of notable pros - Clemson/Seahawk LB Leroy Hill, and Cleveland/Ravens legend Ernest Byner, current RB coach with the Bucs. Baldwin HS is in the antebellum capital of GA - Milledgeville - and plays in region 2-4A. Some of you may have heard the JUCO power Georgia Military College, which is located within the walls of the Old Capitol in Milledgeville. Milledgeville is also known for being the home of the first stage performance of Oliver Hardy (of Laurel & Hardy), Georgia College (my other Alma Mater, for my MA in History) and as the site of the infamous Ben Rothlisberger incident (yes, I have drank in that bar, and there is a surprising amount of talent on the GC campus).

Baldwin has started the season with a strong 2-0 performance. Week 1, against Hancock Central (A) Thomas had 19 carries, for 216 yards and 4tds in a 42-24 win. Week 2, against Alcovy (6A - playoff team last year) he had 20 carries, for 138 yards and 3 TD's in a 30-0 win. This week they face the Tift County Blue Devils (3-0). Tift is in 6A, but will probably be the last place team in a region of GA powerhouses - Valdosta, Lowndes, Camden, Colquitt, and Lee Co. Should be a good test for Thomas and the Baldwin Braves.

Good luck with week to our future Dawgs!

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Good stuff, Brunswick. I enjoyed this last year, glad you brought it back.

msstate7
09-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Good stuff, Brunswick. I enjoyed this last year, glad you brought it back.

2nd

jumbo
09-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Thomas is one of my favorite recruits this year. I think he's going to be a great back for us.

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks Cadaver and 7.

jumbo - I think Thomas is a typical Middle GA back. At 5'11", 200 - he has nice size. He can break a long run and already has a 40 yard+ TD. But, most of those Middle Ga. backs just like to pound off-tackle and grind you down. There is a reason that UGA always a great ground game - and it is because guys like Thomas are their bread and butter, and we grow them in middle Georgia small schools.

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2014, 06:54 PM
And Thomas just scored his first TD of the night to put Baldwin up 6-0, PAT missed (and Mullen offers the kicker on a package deal**)

trob115
09-12-2014, 09:14 PM
That's hilarious Brunswick. Glad you have this thread again. Thomas seems likes he's going to be a good one for us.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 10:25 PM
And Thomas just scored his first TD of the night to put Baldwin up 6-0, PAT missed (and Mullen offers the kicker on a package deal**)

+1

How'd it turn out tonight?

hailmari
09-12-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm surprised people aren't as pumped about Thomas as I am. I love the way he runs.. Basically a bigger JRob.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm surprised people aren't as pumped about Thomas as I am. I love the way he runs.. Basically a bigger JRob.

Where is Britton Guidry from? I just saw where a guy on twitter said, "man, Mississippi State got a good one in Briston Guidry. But can they hold on to him?"

msstate7
09-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Where is Britton Guidry from? I just saw where a guy on twitter said, "man, Mississippi State got a good one in Briston Guidry. But can they hold on to him?"

Metairie, la

Dawg61
09-13-2014, 12:30 AM
2nd

+3, love getting HS updates from BD

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2014, 07:12 AM
Rough getting info on the games last night as both had lightening delays. Ref, if you are reading, try to do something about that.

After a delay, Trey and the Parkview Panthers fought back from an early 17 point deficit to win 37-24. Nothing about Trey was noted, but Parkview's RB and QB had strong nights on the ground with 105 and 95 yards rushing, respectively. All of Parkview's TD's were rushing TD's inside the red zone. Sounds like they have some road graders.

Kentavious and the Baldwin Braves fell to Tift Co. 21-6 in a game called due to weather with 6:58 left in the 3rd Qrt. No stats are available - but Thomas did score the only TD for Baldwin.