PDA

View Full Version : Did Jackie Wayne ever.....

Tough Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:21 AM
do anything back in the late 90s that would frustrate you guys in comparison to the ways Dan does some things now that to us seem frustrating? I was in high school back then and didn't follow as closely as I do now. For some reason back then it felt like to me he did everything right and we would just dominate folks.

I was just curious if you old farts could weigh in on this one.

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:25 AM
do anything back in the late 90s that would frustrate you guys in comparison to the ways Dan does some things now that to us seem frustrating? I was in high school back then and didn't follow as closely as I do now. For some reason back then it felt like to me he did everything right and we would just dominate folks.

Not an old fart, but the short answer is yes. Every coach does things that frustrate the fans. Everyone seems to forget the Kang would give his backup QB the 3rd series of every game. And we started the DL rotation trend under him in '99. Everyone loved it at the time and thought it was genius. Now everyone is bitching about us having the depth to do it with the DL and LB corps this season. Just shows how fan opinions have changed in the last 15 years, imo.

Tough Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
I used to always laugh at the Matt Wyatt under center, then back in shotgun, then back deep to punt play. And the 3rd and long draw play we did every single time.

Tbonewannabe
09-12-2014, 11:28 AM
It was common to say Jackie's offense was run right, run left, run up the middle then punt. We also did this thing with Matt Wyatt where on 4th down he would line up in the shotgun then back up and pooch punt it. We never faked it on 4th down ever that I remember.

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:31 AM
I used to always laugh at the Matt Wyatt under center, then back in shotgun, then back deep to punt play. And the 3rd and long draw play we did every single time.

I loved the Wyatt pooch punt. Not to mention he was damn good at it.

I'd forgotten about the 3rd & long draw. Damn, that used to piss me off. Still does.

Also forgot to mention, The Kang had serious clock management issues at times. I remember constant bitching about it. He also loved to line up in the "swinging gate" on XPs, but never actually faked it. We'd always move back to the conventional FG set and kick. I'd give my left nut to bring him on as a ST "consultant," though.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Now everyone is bitching about us having the depth to do it with the DL and LB corps this season.

Yea, that's what everybody is complaining about. ***

Wanna know why the conversation lives on? Lies like ^this^.

Just sayin

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Jackie used to run it 3 straight times consistently. It would piss everyone off...until we wore the D down and started ripping off long runs and TD's. And it made our play action game deadly.

He utilized the screen game so well. And he perfected it. That's one thing I wish we'd improve. It's deadly when used properly.

But yes, people used to bitch constantly that we would run it up the middle on 3rd and 8...we didn't pass much at all. But it ended up being a hell of a strategy. Hopefully Mullen's will too

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:35 AM
It was common to say Jackie's offense was run right, run left, run up the middle then punt. We also did this thing with Matt Wyatt where on 4th down he would line up in the shotgun then back up and pooch punt it. We never faked it on 4th down ever that I remember.

Yep. Or it would be run, run, long bomb (incomplete), punt.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Ha, the ole pooch punt. It was effective at times. Teams had to respect that we may run a play, so they usually didn't put a returner back there

DownwardDawg
09-12-2014, 11:38 AM
He lost a lot of "trap games" and he seemed to just not pay any attention to the LSU game.

Rotating the D line like he did is a great idea if you have that much depth. Rotating the entire 2nd and 3rd string football team is head scratching.

Tough Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Did anybody ever see what the hell he was always writing on that legal pad during games?

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Did anybody ever see what the hell he was always writing on that legal pad during games?

He would write the play and yards gained/lost. It let him keep track of how efficient the offense was and if we were being predictable in our play-calling.

AROB44
09-12-2014, 11:47 AM

The string of cuss words he was about to scream at the refs.

EAVdog
09-12-2014, 11:50 AM
He always scripted the first 10 plays. Ran them no matter if they worked or not. Which sometimes meant we went 3 possessions before making any adjustments.

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
run, run, pass, punt.
run, run, pass, punt.
run, run, pass, punt.
run, run, pass, punt.
JLD TD.
run, run, pass, punt.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Ha, I think we even have a poster named UpTheMiddleX3Punt. I'm assuming he was a fan during the JWS years.

Bully Dee Williams
09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
The string of cuss words he was about to scream at the refs.

LOL! That is probably pretty accurate.

All of the big Jackie foibles have been mentioned. The biggest thing for me was losing trap games and to vastly inferior opponents from time to time. We had a lot of inconsistency from season to season as well for a lot of Sherrill's tenure. We would be a good team for one or two seasons and then go into the crapper for one or two seasons. Having a losing season with seniors like Eric Moulds and Walt Harris on the team was frustrating to say the least. That said, I wouldn't trade the Jackie years for anything. Those were fun times.

Bubb Rubb
09-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Jackie's clock management was always the worst.

mparkerfd20
09-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Dan will outdo Jackies's win percentage at MSU , because Jackie would lose some head scrathers to scrub teams. The reason he is so loved is because he would usually beat someone he wasn't supposed to year in and year out. Dan has failed to do that up to this point.

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2014, 12:20 PM
The annual WTF loss or tie to Memphis, Arkansas St., or the Blind Sisters of the poor. You would leave the stadium shaking your head - assuming someone didn't have to carry your sloppy drunk-ass out.

Tough Dawg
09-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Another one for me I just thought about was when he only referred to the player's numbers on the post game radio show and the not their actual names. Never understood that one.

Schultzy
09-12-2014, 12:25 PM
The Kang won the West and went to Atlanta. Which gives you a golden parachute in any argument against an OMC'r.

I forgot whatever pissed me off about him.

grinnindawg
09-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Yes.
"You can only win 3 games a year on emotion." Repeat until team hears "You can only play 3 games a year with any intensity."

Failure to recognize and deal with conflicts on the team.

Loyalty to individual players to the detriment of the team.

Giving coordinators until midyear before getting up in their business and fixing problems.

Pollodawg
09-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Love him or hate him, JWS was a winner. He won every where he went. CDM is a winner too. I refuse to jump off the wagon like I did last season until Dan gives me a reason too.

Gordon Gekko
09-12-2014, 12:41 PM
run, run, pass, punt.
run, run, pass, punt.
run, run, pass, punt.
run, run, pass, punt.
JLD TD.
run, run, pass, punt.

Yep, late 90's were weird as a fan. I would get excited when we had a turnover or punted so the defense could get on the field and either score or put the offense in such good field position it would be hard for them to not at least get a field goal.

codeDawg
09-12-2014, 12:45 PM
You had to be drunk to enjoy a JWS offense. It was always a complete shit-show until he wore them down and somebody got a hot hand in the 4th quarter and we broke out some long runs or miracle receptions.

AROB44
09-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Actually our offense was pretty good and very well balanced when Sparky Woods was the OC. Jackie was a winner and he finally taught MSU fans that they can and should expect to win. That was one of his biggest contributions and one that I will always be grateful for. He will always be my favorite coach since I started following MSU back in the early 60's.

Found this on JWS:
In thirteen seasons in Starkville, Sherrill coached the Bulldogs to a record of 75–75–2. His 75 wins are the most in school history. He led the team to an SEC West title in 1998, and a berth in the Cotton Bowl Classic. A year later, he notched a 10–2 record and #12 final ranking. That #12 ranking was the highest final ranking achieved by any NCAA Division I-A school in Mississippi in over 30 years

Didn't know that...

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Ha, I think we even have a poster named UpTheMiddleX3Punt. I'm assuming he was a fan during the JWS years.

I thought that was the Crxxm Cxast Xffense.

TimberBeast
09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Jackie was one of the best "game of field position" coaches that has ever coached football. It would definitely serve Dan well to go back and watch some of those games.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Jackie was one of the best "game of field position" coaches that has ever coached football. It would definitely serve Dan well to go back and watch some of those games.

Totally agree. I bet it makes Jackie cringe to watch us give up field position and miss FG's. Jackie's offenses may not have been flashy, but he would beat you with all of the little things too. Field position, special teams, etc.

curmudgeon
09-12-2014, 02:00 PM
1999 was a hell of ride. We had at least five games where we looked like total crap for 50+ minutes, then looked like the best team in the nation for the last 10.

But the annual WTF game upset a lot of people.

1991: lost to a 5-6 Memphis team
1992: lost to a 2-9 LSU team AND a 5-6 South Carolina team.
1993: tied a 2-8 Arkansas State team
1994: got blown out by a 4-7 LSU team
1995: year sucked, but lost to a 2-9 Northeast Louisiana team when we were 2-2.
1996: lost to a 4-7 Arkansas team the week after upsetting Alabama. Also had a really bad loss to Louisiana Tech that year. Lots of folks said that Alabama win in '96 saved his job.
1997: Lost to a 4-7 Arkansas team when we controlled our own destiny to win the West.
1998: Got blown out by a 4-7 LSU team and ended up winning the West anyway.
1999: Let Alabama beat us twice. That Arkansas team was 8-4 but we were so much better than them.
2000: Only team in SEC history to beat both SEC Championship Game participants in the same year. Had the West wrapped up and lost to a crappy 6-6 Arkansas team and a 7-5 Ole Miss team to end the season.
2001: Troy State.
2002 and 2003 were awful.

But that man always had a all-world punter and a great place kicker. He made you enjoy winning the field position game.

tcdog70
09-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Jackie had some great Tight Ends but seemed to never utilize them enough. I always loved the Jackie flea Flicker where the QB handed off then the back
Who would lateral it back to the QB .

shannondawg
09-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Speaking of LSU, I will always believe they knew Joe Lee's signals. as everytime he brought pressure the play was always run to the opposite side.

Dawgcentral
09-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Another one for me I just thought about was when he only referred to the player's numbers on the post game radio show and the not their actual names. Never understood that one.

I think he did that to screw with the press. It made them have to flip through written material to do the story.

angusyoung
09-12-2014, 03:26 PM
I think he did that to screw with the press. It made them have to flip through written material to do the story.

This is incorrect. He used players numbers instead of names when he was doing radio and press conferences because he knew that casual fans that saw a game may not know a players name but if a player had an awesome game even casual fans would remember their number and know who he was talking about. It's an old school habit he learned from Bryant, Majors, and Broyles when he was learning the coaching profession.

Big4Dawg
09-12-2014, 03:45 PM
I sat with him at the Liberty Bowl Dinner and he still does it. We talked about Mullen & crew. I remember he said #81 (Wilson) is going to be good. I thought it was really weird he did #s because I know names more than numbers.

Dawgcentral
09-12-2014, 04:53 PM
My mistake then. Figured he was having fun with the media, making them do their homework :-)

codeDawg
09-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Totally agree. I bet it makes Jackie cringe to watch us give up field position and miss FG's. Jackie's offenses may not have been flashy, but he would beat you with all of the little things too. Field position, special teams, etc.

You know, he beat you with what he had. Kids in MS haven't changed that much from then to now. There isn't much finesse offense (or coaching) in the state, so the kids muscled their way to victory in the running game and on defense. Then he made sure he didn't lose in the kicking game. As we all know, that's a big missing piece of an exceptional Mullen tenure.

Dog316
09-12-2014, 07:13 PM

^^^^
Then you are obviously too young to understand the good times we are currently going through. Some folks here remind me of the Alabama fans . . . Never really able to appreciate anything unless they win them all and play flawlessly.

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 07:24 PM
^^^^
Then you are obviously too young to understand the good times we are currently going through. Some folks here remind me of the Alabama fans . . . Never really able to appreciate anything unless they win them all and play flawlessly.

http://i.imgur.com/tMyyOIB.gif