PDA

View Full Version : Dak & Damien

BeastMan
09-12-2014, 08:29 AM
2 things:

(1) New 3rd & 57 contributor Nick D wrote his thoughts on them splitting reps this morning http://3rdand57.com/mullen-rotating-quarterbacks-a-good-or-bad-idea/

(2) How much rotating do we see Saturday?

fishwater99
09-12-2014, 08:37 AM
I will be willing to bet that we see Williams by the 3rd series Saturday. Mullen gonna Mullen...

Can you name another coach who would rotate like this during the season if there wasn't a qb controversy? I can't.

maroonmania
09-12-2014, 08:41 AM
I will be willing to bet that we see Williams by the 3rd series Saturday. Mullen gonna Mullen...

Can you name another coach who would rotate like this during the season if there wasn't a qb controversy? I can't.

Yep, Mullen got to show he knows best. We would have had a MUCH better chance of the rotation stopping if MSU fans hadn't made such a big deal about it. Dan will now have to show us that he is still in control.

Lloyd Christmas
09-12-2014, 08:41 AM
It almost seems as if Coach Mullen likes to play with fire. If you play with fire too many times, you'll burn yourself.

My favorite line from that article.

fishwater99
09-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Can't say it much better than this...

Conclusion
If Dak is any type of “Dark Horse” to win the heisman, Mullen has to go with him. Did you sit Tebow out at Florida because you were scared of him getting hurt? Or how about Cam Newton (God forbid I brought him up)? Neither one of those guys were held out during their heisman year. Their coaches called their number and allowed them to attack the defense. If it were me, I’d put Dak in the first half of both the first two games and let him play maybe one drive of the third quarter. Let him run the ball. Let him play like he’s used to playing. After you pull Dak out, put Damian in to wrap up the games and cruise to victory. If Mullen keeps killing his offense’s rhythm, look out, because South Alabama will sneak up on the Bulldogs.

sandwolf
09-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Yep, Mullen got to show he knows best. We would have had a MUCH better chance of the rotation stopping if MSU fans hadn't made such a big deal about it. Dan will now have to show us that he is still in control.

Completely agree.

TXDawg
09-12-2014, 09:18 AM

Yeah, because Dan makes his coaching decisions based on message board posts. RIIIIIIGHT!

FlabLoser
09-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Can't say it much better than this...

Conclusion
If Dak is any type of ?Dark Horse? to win the heisman, Mullen has to go with him. Did you sit Tebow out at Florida because they were already hurt?

Fixed that for you.

fishwater99
09-12-2014, 10:05 AM
So was Dak hurt when we played USM?
Williams came in on the 3rd possession and continued to see reps all game.

DawgHouseUnited
09-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah, because Dan makes his coaching decisions based on message board posts. RIIIIIIGHT!

Could be worse... This from last year. TIRED OF THE CRITICISM, DAN INVITES FANS TO CALL PLAYS. (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/9/19/4748754/tired-of-the-criticisms-dan-mullen-invites-fans-to-call-offensive)

/satire

RougeDawg
09-12-2014, 10:26 AM
These first two(maybe three) games, because he is supposedly building quality experience and depth amongst our younger players. The question is this: If Dan's real objective is to get the younger guys reps and experience against weaker opponents, why is he neglecting the most important position on the team? Why have we only seen 2 QB's getting reps? After previous seasons and getting both the 1&2 QB's banged up, why isn't dan gettin the 3rd sting guy reps, if he truly is preparing this team for success? We used 3 last year and should have been playing 3 these first 3 games, if Dan really wants to build experienced depth. Are we going to platoon Staley and Fitz for 3 years, with two more guys right behind them holding hands? Why would you have that many QB's all bunched together? Fitz would have benefitted the most, of all the QB's, by getting PT these last two weeks. This is why I disagree with what and how Dan is going about his "depth and experience building" experiment. If this was his main goal, we would have seen Fitz at some point in both games toward the end.

Serious question for those of you in the "eberyone is stupid, Dan is preparing this team for the long haul and building depth" is why isn't he maximizing the opportunity to "truly" build depth at the most important position on the field?

Liverpooldawg
09-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Y'all do realize that THE reason the UAB game was as close as it was was that the defence have up about 4 home run balls?

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Again...

I was going to wait for the bitchfest after our win Saturday to post this... but maybe it needs to be said now:

2013 Auburn first four weeks of the season:
Beat a bad Washington State team by 7, at home.
Beat Ark State handily.
Beat a barely bowl eligible Miss State team by 4 with 11 seconds left, at home.
Lost to LSU by 2 touchdowns.

After four weeks they thought they sucked again.... then they played for a Natty.

No one remembers the crappy games you barely won. They remember the big games you do win. Pollsters don't care about the crap games. It's the big games that define your season. Winning an OOC by 27 or 7 is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

The beauty of this is that we are 22 deep right now on both sides of the ball. Our first 11 aren't banged up as bad as they'd otherwise be. We've got some young guys experience. We have more players to evaluate in game situations.

All of that is going to help against the gauntlet of LSU, A&M, and Auburn.

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:18 AM

The Kang. He'd give his backup the 3rd series of every game consistently. If you guys really think Damian will get more than one series against LSU, barring injury to Dak, I don't know what to tell you. I thought it was pretty clear, and Mullen confirmed, that the only reason D-Will played so much against UAB was Dak's foot.

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 11:18 AM
fans should keep in mind, this season has a chance to be I credibly special. Sacrificing team development for Dak's development does not help the team. his dark horse Heisman shot isn't Dan's priority, not should it be. Develop the team, win games, fight for a championship.

we'd all like to see Dak putting up play station numbers, but that's not what's good for the team right now.

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Exactly. If our coaches are wasting time during the season reading message boards, we have wayyyyy bigger issues.

War Machine Dawg
09-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Again...

I was going to wait for the bitchfest after our win Saturday to post this... but maybe it needs to be said now:

Beat Ark State handily.

After four weeks they thought they sucked again.... then they played for a Natty.

No one remembers the crappy games you barely won. They remember the big games you do win. Pollsters don't care about the crap games. It's the big games that define your season. Winning an OOC by 27 or 7 is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

The beauty of this is that we are 22 deep right now on both sides of the ball. Our first 11 aren't banged up as bad as they'd otherwise be. We've got some young guys experience. We have more players to evaluate in game situations.

You get it.

http://i.imgur.com/ywCs67G.gif

blacklistedbully
09-12-2014, 12:09 PM
fans should keep in mind, this season has a chance to be I credibly special. Sacrificing team development for Dak's development does not help the team. his dark horse Heisman shot isn't Dan's priority, not should it be. Develop the team, win games, fight for a championship.

we'd all like to see Dak putting up play station numbers, but that's not what's good for the team right now.

I hear ya', Hack, but don't discount the HUGE positive impact on our program were Dak to actually win or even get invited to NY for the Heisman. Something like that could move us years ahead in program development, IMO.

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 12:14 PM
I hear ya', Hack, but don't discount the HUGE positive impact on our program were Dak to actually win or even get invited to NY for the Heisman. Something like that could move us years ahead in program development, IMO.

no doubt about that. I just think CDM prioritized things and went with what's most important to the team. If we beat LSU, Auburn, and others, Dak will be squarely in the conversation. His performance will be dissected to death and then people will realize his minutes vs production. Right now there's very few people in the country that know he's scoring TDs on 75% of his drives.

there's also very people that realize JRob is the 2nd leading rusher in the SEC right now... 3 spots ahead of Gurley.

RougeDawg
09-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Again...

Beat Ark State handily.

Again..... Read my post above. We need to be at least 23 deep on offense, with 3 adequate QB's. It helped us last year having 3 QB's that could manage a football game. Please address my question above if you truly believe the sacrificing rhythm and timing that Mullen is doing is really benefiting the team as much as some of you seem to think. If he were truly preparing this year's team for maximum success, he would have used some of these "wasted series without the 1's" to get his 3rd string QB some experience, since this offense tends to get the QB's banged up and having 3 is the best insurance plan. I love how the argument of sacrificing Dak's stats and 1st team becoming a well oiled offense, has glaringly overlooked not getting our 3rd QB some quality PT. Do we want Fitz or Staley's first action in their careers to be against A&M or Auburn, with us down 14 points in the 3rd quarter? You can't give me the BS rationalization that the jerking around of the offense is maximizing our experience level and depth, if we have yet to get a 3rd QB some PT. End of story.

But carry on and keep your agenda's accurate by leaving out the insufficiencies to what all of you believe to be Dan's plan.

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Dak's scoring on 75% of his drives. Apparently his rhythm isn't good enough for you, but I'll gladly take that for the rest of the year.

PMDawg
09-12-2014, 02:27 PM

See texas a&m for exhibit A.

PMDawg
09-12-2014, 02:27 PM
You agree with me.

http://i.imgur.com/ywCs67G.gif

Fify

msstate7
09-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Dak's scoring on 75% of his drives. Apparently his rhythm isn't good enough for you, but I'll gladly take that for the rest of the year.

He needs to get that number to 80%**

fishwater99
09-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Again..... Read my post above. We need to be at least 23 deep on offense, with 3 adequate QB's. It helped us last year having 3 QB's that could manage a football game. Please address my question above if you truly believe the sacrificing rhythm and timing that Mullen is doing is really benefiting the team as much as some of you seem to think. If he were truly preparing this year's team for maximum success, he would have used some of these "wasted series without the 1's" to get his 3rd string QB some experience, since this offense tends to get the QB's banged up and having 3 is the best insurance plan. I love how the argument of sacrificing Dak's stats and 1st team becoming a well oiled offense, has glaringly overlooked not getting our 3rd QB some quality PT. Do we want Fitz or Staley's first action in their careers to be against A&M or Auburn, with us down 14 points in the 3rd quarter? You can't give me the BS rationalization that the jerking around of the offense is maximizing our experience level and depth, if we have yet to get a 3rd QB some PT. End of story.

But carry on and keep your agenda's accurate by leaving out the insufficiencies to what all of you believe to be Dan's plan.

I don't think they will play at all if Dak and Williams stay healthy.

#Redshirted

Intramural All-American
09-12-2014, 06:23 PM
We have to be the only team in the nation that is complaining about our offensive substitutions when we are averaging 47 ppg. Ever.

And Rouge your line of thinking just isn't logical. It is obvious we need our backup QB to be getting as many reps as possible. He hasn't looked great and needs as many as he can get. Why would we sacrifice his snaps to give our 3rd stringer reps. Name me one team in the nation that can expect to win with their 3rd string QB starting. There are none. If you get down to your 3rd stringer, you just have to hope that practice has prepared him enough. Gametime, mainly non-con games, is when you prep your 1 and 2.

Also, the plan was to play Dak as little as possible last Saturday. Unfortunately, our hand was forced.

Carry on with the dead horse.

Dog316
09-12-2014, 07:04 PM

^^^^^^^
Yeah, you know Dan doesn't have a clue. He will certainly have to prove he is still the head coach. He only wants to do things he thinks will hurt the team in the long run. Everyone knows he doesn't really care about winning. He just wants to prove he's right. Geesh!