PDA

View Full Version : Questions about our rotations and the 5 bombs we got burned on

Bully13
09-12-2014, 07:17 AM
1. who were the cover guys who got burned? were all those bombs on the 2nd team? was our 2nd team DL and linebackers in when all this shit happened?

2. how many snaps is Chris Jones getting per game? is he playing with the 1st team or 2nd team?

3. when Williams is in, is he also behind our 2nd team OL?

RC3
09-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Have you watched us play this year?

mjh94
09-12-2014, 07:54 AM
1. I saw Calhoun and Redmond just plain out get schooled once each. Then, I saw Redmond try to make an interception instead of a PBU that was a mental mistake. Not sure on the other 2 you were refer to.
2. He played just as much as anybody else did. He played in different rotations in the 1a and 1b groups, i believe.
3. Defer...

1. who were the cover guys who got burned? were all those bombs on the 2nd team? was our 2nd team DL and linebackers in when all this shit happened?

2. how many snaps is Chris Jones getting per game? is he playing with the 1st team or 2nd team?

CottonDog
09-12-2014, 07:58 AM
1. Calhoun got burned his first play back from being helped off the field. Redmond was the rest of them. He is not quite living up to his hype, IMO. We started mixing entire position groups with each other after the first deep pass, I think anyways.
2. Chris is playing enough take himself out because he is tired. Needs to get himself into shape. Quick. He has mainly been with the 2s but has gone in with 1 DL some.
3. Game 1 Damien was mainly behind the 2nd OL. Against UAB he played with the 1st teamers a good bit early in the game.

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 07:59 AM
1) Calhoun got torched on his first play back in after being injured. They immediately tested him. I blame the coaches for not knowing it was coming and giving him safety help. I knew it was coming. Surely they did too.

2) Redmond gave up on he ball about 40+ yards down the field. I don't think he knew the new QB could drop it on a dime 50 yards down the field. Also, it was a spectacular throw. Only where the WR could adjust to it. A post route dropped about a foot over the top of the back shoulder... He made the tackle immediately.

3) Redmond went for the pick on the long TD. Played it well, but his back hand (which got on the ball) has a cast on it. The WR simply ripped it from him and took off.

4) Comin (I think) lost deep contain at safety on the WR pass. Redmond noticed the play and recovered enough to make the tackle and save the TD.

5) Irvin Sills got left. Didn't see the start of the play, but I assume he stumbled or something out the gate.

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 08:03 AM
2. There's not a single defensive player ready to play the entire game without taking themselves out. That's just dumb.

3. Damien has played with both OLs.

Coach34
09-12-2014, 08:04 AM
All were vs the 2nd D except Calhoun's. Even though Redmond is our 3rd CB- we had the 2nd D in when he got beat

Political Hack
09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
I will say that lost in all of this are the two TD saving plays Redmond made: 1) recovering on the WR pass to save the S's ass. 2) Being the only thing between the ball carrier and the end zone on that reverse that they set up beautifully, beating his block, and holding it to a 1 yard gain.

thf24
09-12-2014, 08:38 AM
I don't think he knew the new QB could drop it on a dime 50 yards down the field. Also, it was a spectacular throw. Only where the WR could adjust to it. A post route dropped about a foot over the top of the back shoulder... He made the tackle immediately.

I think that's what's getting lost in this. We did get outright burned a few times, but when you're a corner alone down the field in man coverage against a QB who can hit that throw in stride over and over again, there's just not a lot you can do sometimes. That's NFL ability. I don't know if that guy is an undiscovered NFL prospect or he was just having an incredible day, but that's beside the point now. I blame Collins not adjusting and putting safety help back there much more than the play of the corners.

mic
09-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Redmond had the best coverage you could have on a WR. If a QB puts the ball in a perfect spot from around 40 yards out tip your hat to the QB.
I don't mind our guys getting tested like that early , it will only help down the road.. I am NOT worried about our Cb's.

MetEdDawg
09-12-2014, 09:26 AM
I think that's what's getting lost in this. We did get outright burned a few times, but when you're a corner alone down the field in man coverage against a QB who can hit that throw in stride over and over again, there's just not a lot you can do sometimes. That's NFL ability. I don't know if that guy is an undiscovered NFL prospect or he was just having an incredible day, but that's beside the point now. I blame Collins not adjusting and putting safety help back there much more than the play of the corners.

The bolded was my biggest problem by far with our game. We have safeties closer to the line of scrimmage on some of those plays than our corners. The one where Calhoun got beat, Cox was 8 yards off the line of scrimmage spying the backfield. He was obviously there for run support and that was the common theme on every play we got burned on.

Us not adjusting is what made me mad. We didn't need 9 guys that close to the LOS to stop UAB running the football. Hell our DL with Benny and McKinney were doing just fine. But with no safety help over the top we really did nothing to deter them from continuing to chunk it deep over and over again. Just didn't make sense why we didn't adjust to that and at least have one safety over the top. Getting beat for three 75+ yard passing TDs in one game is awful.

I seen it dawg
09-12-2014, 09:36 AM

Are you truly not watching any games? Have you been off the grid the last 2 weeks...

jumbo
09-12-2014, 09:38 AM

Collins said 80% of the game planning was to stop the run. UAB ran for over 300 yards the week before.

maroonmania
09-12-2014, 09:40 AM
I blame Collins not adjusting and putting safety help back there much more than the play of the corners.

I totally agree, although I've been given wisdom on this board that what you are suggesting is not an adjustment. Anyway, what is the point of having our best front 7 since Mullen has been here if you still feel you have to cheat up with your safeties to be able to stop the run. I've said before, we could have played everything straight up and left our safeties back for help on the deep balls and UAB would have still had little success running the ball. Now playing SEC running teams like LSU and Arkansas that may not be the case but it was with UAB.

maroonmania
09-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Collins said 80% of the game planning was to stop the run. UAB ran for over 300 yards the week before.

Yes, but it was against Troy, not Alabama, Troy. I know we are beating a dead horse, and after tomorrow we will have another game to talk about, but it just seems so simple that after getting burned at least on the second time that you make some moves to give additional help back deep in the secondary. I mean did we actually think they were going to run the whole 4th quarter down 20 points? I just have a problem when we do things that defy logic and that is what we did this past Saturday. I would like to have more trust in our coaches to make sound moves WITHIN the game and I have much less confidence today than I did prior to last Saturday.