PDA

View Full Version : Stricklin says we are not done with 2 for 1 away games... Great...

fishwater99
09-11-2014, 10:46 AM
I know we go to LA Tech in 2016, why can't we buy our way out of this game..

Stricklin is not opposed to striking more two-for-ones with schools such as South Alabama, Troy or Louisiana Tech in the future.

?It?s like any other scheduling relationship: You?ve got to find a willing partner and the years and the dates have got to match up and all that kind of stuff. But we?re certainly open to it,? Stricklin said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/88346/unusual-road-date-ahead-for-state

Political Hack
09-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Winning at the bank.

starkvegasdawg
09-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Relentless bankroll.

CadaverDawg
09-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Let us get beat this weekend and it will stop.

The closer we get to this game, the more unsure I feel. It has trap game written all over it. And then when you combine the fact that it's at their place, their Super Bowl,LSU next week, etc., with the way we've been treating these games like scrimmages....well....I just want to get a win and GTFO.

ShotgunDawg
09-11-2014, 11:20 AM

The closer we get to this game, the more unsure I feel. It has trap game written all over it. And then when you combine the fact that it's at their place, their Super Bowl,LSU next week, etc., with the way we've been treating these games like scrimmages....well....I just want to get a win and GTFO.

I think it helps that we played bad last weekend. Should make the team more focused.

starkvegasdawg
09-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I was listening to the press conference that Collins did that was linked in another thread. Something he said I am not sure I agree with but he is the defensive guru and not me. He said they prepped all week to stop the run. 75% of practice time was devoted to stopping the run. The reported then asked what adjustments they made when UAB went air raid and he said they changed nothing. They were still selling out to stop the run. I think we know now why they threw for over 400 yards against us. Even when they saw they were imitating Texas Tech they still were all in on the run. Me personally, I would think you would try to stop the pass and react to the run during that game. They're not going to bust a 75 yard run off against us so they would have to march down the field methodically which opens up chances for them to make mistakes, but they sure torched us in the air on the deep ball.

BhamDawg
09-11-2014, 11:29 AM

No chance. Kent St is terrible, like may not win a game all season terrible, and that was a 3 point game going into the 4th quarter. We will win by 20+.

borne
09-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Saves us money doing this instead of just paying 1 mil like some schools are doing. Plus I think playing games in Hattiesburg and Mobile will help strengthen our fan bases in these areas

codeDawg
09-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I was listening to the press conference that Collins did that was linked in another thread. Something he said I am not sure I agree with but he is the defensive guru and not me. He said they prepped all week to stop the run. 75% of practice time was devoted to stopping the run. The reported then asked what adjustments they made when UAB went air raid and he said they changed nothing. They were still selling out to stop the run. I think we know now why they threw for over 400 yards against us. Even when they saw they were imitating Texas Tech they still were all in on the run. Me personally, I would think you would try to stop the pass and react to the run during that game. They're not going to bust a 75 yard run off against us so they would have to march down the field methodically which opens up chances for them to make mistakes, but they sure torched us in the air on the deep ball.

Based on the interview, he didn't think they could hit that route more than once or twice. He was wrong.

maroonmania
09-11-2014, 11:48 AM
I know we go to LA Tech in 2016, why can't we buy our way out of this game..

Stricklin is not opposed to striking more two-for-ones with schools such as South Alabama, Troy or Louisiana Tech in the future.

?It?s like any other scheduling relationship: You?ve got to find a willing partner and the years and the dates have got to match up and all that kind of stuff. But we?re certainly open to it,? Stricklin said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/88346/unusual-road-date-ahead-for-state

Well, one of the reasons its taken so long to play USM again is they WON"T give us a 2 for 1. The only reason this series got set up was that Byrne finally caved and agreed to the home and home. USM wants to be treated as the equal of MSU and OM even though they are not so I would much prefer to play folks that will give us 2 for 1s than to keep playing USM. Yes, we often play home and home with Memphis and Tulane and the like but those are teams that play in much bigger stadiums where we have a significant recruiting interests.

maroonmania
09-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Yep, lack of in game adjustments were BY FAR the most disappointing thing from last weekend. The fact we got burned initially was much less concerning than the fact we didn't respond to it with defensive adjustments.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
The most disappointing thing to me was the Kicking.

Homedawg
09-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Yep, lack of in game adjustments were BY FAR the most disappointing thing from last weekend. The fact we got burned initially was much less concerning than the fact we didn't respond to it with defensive adjustments.

What adjustments needed to be made after Calhoun got buttered? I'm pretty sure we didn't do what they were coached to do on that play. Next, Redmond was in perfect position, went for the pick and got out fought for it. Then a either a third string corner or a third string safety gave up the last one(I haven't heard nor do I care where the screw up came from)

oldjoedawg
09-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Based on the interview, he didn't think they could hit that route more than once or twice. He was wrong.

The UAB "1B" QB had an out of body experience..... and it only happened a few times.... trust Collins for season long defense

ShotgunDawg
09-11-2014, 12:04 PM
I think us fans over estimate the amount of adjustments that can realistically be made in a 20 min half time. It takes all week to prepare for an offense. Tough to go another direction at half time.

Which coaches make great half time adjustments?

maroonmania
09-11-2014, 12:07 PM
What adjustments needed to be made after Calhoun got buttered? I'm pretty sure we didn't do what they were coached to do on that play. Next, Redmond was in perfect position, went for the pick and got out fought for it. Then a either a third string corner or a third string safety gave up the last one(I haven't heard nor do I care where the screw up came from)

Hey, here's an idea, stop sticking our CBs on an island 40 yards down the field. No need to do that, our front seven could have stuffed up UAB's running game just fine without having the safeties play up.

defiantdog
09-11-2014, 12:19 PM
It won't stop.... Oklahoma played at Tulsa last weekend and Nebraska has played at Southern Miss before as well. Some big schools don't mind some sort of trade off.

mic
09-11-2014, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;244374]Let us get beat this weekend and it will stop.

The closer we get to this game, the more unsure I feel. It has trap game written all over it. And then when you combine the fact that it's at their place, their Super Bowl,LSU next week, etc., with the way we've been treating these games like scrimmages....well....I just want to get a win and GTFO.[/QUOT

We have scored 49 and 47
The defense we know won't play like they did against Uab
This is a good first road game to get under our belt before heading to Baton Rouge
Young guys will see what it's like to travel and prepare
Would u rather us skull drug the first 2 an give out back ups mop up time in Meaningless outcomes or have them ready for pressure filled situations down the road because we are going to need them then
Dak was little banged up against Uab, hell I was hoping we didnt have to play him as much as we did
Kicking game is a concern no matter who or where we play
Dak and both first units have be dominate when both are in
The staff will pull the reigns back on the subs once SEC play starts
And what are they suppose to say about 1a and 1b? Keep the kids confidence level up and we will probably see more of the same this weekend..
We win the game going away
Call ur bookie take the 15 and enjoy being 3-0 with a real good shot at going into Baton Rouge and beating them last week .

Homedawg
09-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Hey, here's an idea, stop sticking our CBs on an island 40 yards down the field. No need to do that, our front seven could have stuffed up UAB's running game just fine without having the safeties play up.

That's not an adjustment. That's calling a different play. Adjustments are changing how you block a look, etc. Having safety help isn't one of those.

CadaverDawg
09-11-2014, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;244374]Let us get beat this weekend and it will stop.

The closer we get to this game, the more unsure I feel. It has trap game written all over it. And then when you combine the fact that it's at their place, their Super Bowl,LSU next week, etc., with the way we've been treating these games like scrimmages....well....I just want to get a win and GTFO.[/QUOT

We have scored 49 and 47
The defense we know won't play like they did against Uab
This is a good first road game to get under our belt before heading to Baton Rouge
Young guys will see what it's like to travel and prepare
Would u rather us skull drug the first 2 an give out back ups mop up time in Meaningless outcomes or have them ready for pressure filled situations down the road because we are going to need them then
Dak was little banged up against Uab, hell I was hoping we didnt have to play him as much as we did
Kicking game is a concern no matter who or where we play
Dak and both first units have be dominate when both are in
The staff will pull the reigns back on the subs once SEC play starts
And what are they suppose to say about 1a and 1b? Keep the kids confidence level up and we will probably see more of the same this weekend..
We win the game going away
Call ur bookie take the 15 and enjoy being 3-0 with a real good shot at going into Baton Rouge and beating them last week .

Toss a period or comma in there, mic. Ha

You're saying a lot of "ifs" and assuming a lot of things. And I too hope those things happen, but there are no guarantees. I'm not scared we'll lose, but with Mullen, it won't surprise me to see this game within reach for far longer than it should be.

Spider-Man
09-11-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't mind the 2 for 1s as long as they are in Memphis, Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, etc.

maroonmania
09-11-2014, 01:18 PM
That's not an adjustment. That's calling a different play. Adjustments are changing how you block a look, etc. Having safety help isn't one of those.

Don't even know how to respond to such a ridiculous statement.

quickstrike2
09-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Well call a different play then. Undoubtedly your not saying we couldn't do something different like put a safety over the top, when our corner is getting absolutely roasted simply because that not by definition an "adjustment."

Homedawg
09-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Well call a different play then. Undoubtedly your not saying we couldn't do something different like put a safety over the top, when our corner is getting absolutely roasted simply because that not by definition an "adjustment."

We had one,ONE starter or 1b whatever the hell anybody wants to call em get roasted As you call it, that was Calhoun. Redmond was in position, he just didn't knock the ball down. The third damn stringer doesn't freaking count in my book

Homedawg
09-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Don't even know how to respond to such a ridiculous statement.

I'm not surprised.

CadaverDawg
09-11-2014, 04:44 PM

I'm usually with you, Homedawg....but not on this one.

Example: If a team is shutting your offense down by being overly aggressive in the first half, and you go in at halftime and decide to run some screens and draws in the second half to counter their aggression....that's an adjustment. It's also different plays.

The guy you're arguing with said we should have made an adjustment and put a safety or 2 in coverage after the first or second bomb. That would have been an adjustment, even though it would also be a different play.

Hoping the law of averages keeps the other team from completing another bomb = No adjustment

Not saying we won't get it fixed, because I'm not worried at all about the defense....but to say adjustments and different plays can't be one in the same, is just not true.

quickstrike2
09-11-2014, 05:00 PM
We had one,ONE starter or 1b whatever the hell anybody wants to call em get roasted As you call it, that was Calhoun. Redmond was in position, he just didn't knock the ball down. The third damn stringer doesn't freaking count in my book

However you want to word it, we got beat several times for big plays. Hopefully we knock the ball down next time. During SEC play, I would like to see something done instead of just saying well that won't happen again. I do feel like we will make the necessary corrections going forward, I trust the staff.

maroonmania
09-11-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm not surprised.

Yep, nothing like learning that adjusting the positioning of your defensive personnel is not an adjustment. Pearls of wisdom there for sure.