PDA

View Full Version : Student Attendance on the Decline. Across the Nation.

curmudgeon
09-11-2014, 08:41 AM
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/09/11/colleges-worry-about-future-football-fans-student-attendance-declines

In 2013, the University of Georgia's designated student section was nearly 40 percent empty. The University of California at Berkeley has sold about 1,000 fewer student season tickets this season than last year -- a season that already saw a decline from the previous one. Since 2009, student attendance at the University of Florida has dropped 22 percent. Three-fourths of the University of Kansas' student tickets went unused last season.

The students who do still attend games tend to arrive later and leave earlier, said Richard Southall, director of the College Sports Research Institute, which can be an embarrassing headache for athletic programs.

Tickets are getting more expensive, nonconference games are less evenly matched, and -- thanks to lucrative and far-reaching broadcast contracts -- it's never been easier to watch games from the comfort of just about anywhere else. Students can often watch their college's team play not just on television, but also on their computers, smart phones, and tablets.

Damn millennials.

TheRef
09-11-2014, 08:42 AM
/Stays quiet

Hypnodawg
09-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Location of the student seats matters as well. I was able to sit on the 40ish yard line during mine time. Most stadiums put the students in the endzone and upper deck now.

The Croom Diaries
09-11-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't know that this is such a problem. If students aren't showing up then just shrink the size of the student section and allow for more alumni and fans, who will pay more, to buy tickets. As long as every single game is on TV and access to information is instantaneous it's going to keep getting harder and harder to fill stadiums. Ticket prices are going to peak at some point and then start to trend back down just to get people in the stadium. There is nothing like going to a game, but more and more people don't feel the need to be there for every game, or every second of every game any more.

I can't remember what year every game starting to be on TV, but I do remember listening to the 2007 UAB game on the radio. If the 2014 UAB game had been radio only then there's no doubt more fans would have stuck it out in the heat. But when the lure of your tailgating tent, HDTV and box fan (and cold beer) are calling you it's hard to stay in the stadium.

Smitty
09-11-2014, 09:23 AM
More students aren't growing up in the University and football in general. It's just not important to a larger percentage of students.

engie
09-11-2014, 09:30 AM
And then you've got this...

http://collegespun.com/sec/texas-am/texas-am-broke-the-ncaa-student-attendance-record-during-its-game-against-lamar

Tough Dawg
09-11-2014, 09:30 AM
I've said this whole time as many universities are expanding their stadiums during a very odd time in my opinion and some might argue that it's the wrong time. Universities are adding seats while at this point in time when we'd never add so much access to watch games on a TV. Rising ticket cost, decreasing disposable income for most Americans and surely students.

The 2 situations don't mix well. Some stadiums/universities won't be effected by this, but some will.

curmudgeon
09-11-2014, 09:33 AM
The article makes the point that athletic giving will be going way down in the future as the students become 40 year olds with disposable income.

M.Fillmore
09-11-2014, 09:36 AM
And then you've got this...

http://collegespun.com/sec/texas-am/texas-am-broke-the-ncaa-student-attendance-record-during-its-game-against-lamar

Engie, is right. The Aggies squeeze their nuts when the team is losing to relate to the team's pain. I love the Bulldogs, but so much that I'm going to start squeezing myself.

32 Dive
09-11-2014, 09:36 AM
This might be satirical, or not...

7 Solutions. My tribute to King Jackie's 7 factors for college football success.

Solution #1) Fattest pipe of internet at DWS, east of the Mississippi, and South of the Mason-Dixon.
Solution #2) Drinkin' with Lincoln!
Solution #3) Prizes for most unique instagram photo, given away every time State's defense holds without a score.
Solution #4) Convert Quarter highlights on Video Boards to Minecraft replays.
Solution #5) Ncaa 15 being played on video board during halftime, with fans voting on plays via phone app. Included free of charge, mindless Dub-Step music resonating throughout Oktibbeha County...
Solution #6) Bulldog Club points, redeemable at graduation, for all sporting events attended.
Solution #7) Give away 10 iPhone 6 Pluses*, to students present at end of game. (*contract required)