PDA

View Full Version : Never Forget.

Lloyd Christmas
09-11-2014, 08:09 AM
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Nmp7uApxcSM/s/900/720/Rajs-110509-0014spotkevincurv.jpg

starkvegasdawg
09-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Hard to believe it has been 13 years. Still seems like yesterday and not over a decade. Only comfort I take is knowing the assholes that did this have been burning in hell for these last 13 years.

Lloyd Christmas
09-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Hard to believe it has been 13 years. Still seems like yesterday and not over a decade. Only comfort I take is knowing the assholes that did this have been burning in hell for these last 13 years.

I still remember exactly where I was..7th grade Algebra. Very few things have left a mark on my life like that day.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2014, 08:42 AM
I was in my office walking down the hall and I heard something on the radio about a bomb at the WTC. I went up front to the break room and turned on the TV. We pretty much dropped all work and sat there watching, clients and employees. The rest of the day cancelled and we barely did anything that whole week. It took a while for things at work to get back to normal. I remember we left early when it became apparent that no clients would be coming in the rest of the day. I drove down Main Street and it was deserted, it looked like a Sunday morning. The only places that were doing any business were the gas stations. THEY had long lines as everyone was panic buying.

Lloyd Christmas
09-11-2014, 08:49 AM
I was in my office walking down the hall and I heard something on the radio about a bomb at the WTC. I went up front to the break room and turned on the TV. We pretty much dropped all work and sat there watching, clients and employees. The rest of the day cancelled and we barely did anything that whole week. It took a while for things at work to get back to normal. I remember we left early when it became apparent that no clients would be coming in the rest of the day. I drove down Main Street and it was deserted, it looked like a Sunday morning. The only places that were doing any business were the gas stations. THEY had long lines as everyone was panic buying.

I almost forgot about the gas lines...that was insane.

defiantdog
09-11-2014, 08:51 AM
I can't believe it's been that long. I still remember coming back from my Psych class at State when I saw it in my dorm room. I remember watching that second plane hit and not believing it was real. This is an event we will never forget.

defiantdog
09-11-2014, 08:53 AM
I almost forgot about the gas lines...that was insane.

Nothing beats the gas lines after Katrina though. I remember seeing cars parked on the side of the interstate outside of Meridian.

TXDawg
09-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I was in my office in downtown Houston. Somebody walked by and said that a plane had hit the WTC. My first thought was BS...then when I pulled up Yahoo! news and saw the first pictures, I thought "Oh, shit". We spent the next 2 hours in the conference room watching the news and saw the second plane hit, saw the Pentagon get hit, and saw both towers come down. It was surreal. Because we were in downtown Houston, they released us at around 11:30 for concern that other high-rise towers could be targets too.

I'll never forget that day.

The local AM station was playing a tribute this morning that included newscaster audio & first responder radio calls as the events were unfolding. Very powerful stuff. I was surprised at how deep my reaction to that audio was.

SapperDawg
09-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I lived 60 miles away upstate NY. Our secretary started screaming about "the pentagon being bombed". I lost a member of my Army Reserve unit there, a fire captain in NYC, that day. Not long after that we were mobilized for the invasion.

9/11 changed my life forever.

mstate68
09-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I was really young when this happened, I believe I might have been in Kindergarten or first grade. Obviously I don't remember much, but I do remember seeing the buildings on fire on TV. Scared the hell out of me, even as a child.

jbjones
09-11-2014, 09:28 AM
I was a senior here at MSU. I remember driving to work in the Research Park, listening to John Boy and Billy...where JB said, "got a report of a plane hitting the WTC in NY....eeeh..probably nothing". Then, by the time I got in the office, it was confirmed to be real, and not looking like an accident.

I had an 11:00 class, so I drove to campus. I parked in the gravel lot behind the health center...a lot of folks just sitting in their cars listening to the radio feed. I walked in Simrall, and it looked like a bunch of zombies just mindlessly walking the halls. The Prof. of my Microprocessors class, said something like, "let's just get through the hour and go home".

By the time I was back at the office, all of the major news sites had gone to full-text. No graphics (because they were getting flooded with requests). It was the only way they could keep their pages up. Surreal...

Jacksondevildog
09-11-2014, 09:38 AM
I was about six blocks away from the World Trade Center eating breakfast that morning. I got outside to see the towers right after the second plane hit. I saw people jumping and I saw both towers come down. To hear that sound, and to feel the ground rumble and shake, is something that I will never forget.

1bigdawg
09-11-2014, 10:12 AM
I was in East Hampton, New York and a friend called after the first tower had been hit and told me to turn on the TV. I sat and watched as the plane flew into the second tower live. A few minutes later, I realized that a friend of 16 years was head of the Port Authority and was above the hit and unable to get out.

My wife played tennis on Sunday afternoon with a woman who worked at Cantor Fitzgerald and did not make it.

It was a long, long day.

ScoobaDawg
09-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Senior year high school. Trig class. Teacher came and knocked on the door and shared something with my teacher and she came in and told us about a plane hitting the first tower and turned the tv on, seeing that 2nd plane hit was something i'll never forget. we ended up changing periods though everyone just went to the next class where it was also on. what I'll never forget and still.. just amazed me. was seeing those towers fall. Its not something I thought could ever happen. I remember as a kid (i think I was 8) visiting new york city and as we drove by them i turned my neck hard to see how amazingly big they were in person. As a Mississippi kid who had never seen anything that big they were amazing and something I never forgot. My adult mind couldn't wrap around that kids thought of years ago even with the physics and mathematics I had taken.
Every male in America was ready to enlist that day.

LC Dawg
09-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Someone turned on the tv in the conference room at work to watch the first tower so we were watching live when the second plane hit. At that point everyone realized it wasn't an accident. My kids were 8, 7, and 4 at that time. That night, as we were watching all the footage, I kept looking at my kids and thinking how much different the world they grow up in would be from the world that I grew up in.

DudyDawg
09-11-2014, 10:39 AM
I was really young when this happened, I believe I might have been in Kindergarten or first grade. Obviously I don't remember much, but I do remember seeing the buildings on fire on TV. Scared the hell out of me, even as a child.

I'm about the same age. I remember getting out of school early and sitting on the arm of my couch while my parents to explain it to me. Oddly, they didn't have to and I understood what was happening for the most part. We sat in silence for a looooong time staring at the tv. Longer than any 8 year old would stay silent.

Pollodawg
09-11-2014, 10:39 AM
I was at break in the tenth grade when it happened. Since the kids were outside, the student's didn't have access to a TV, but you could tell something was up. There was this off sort of electricity in the air. I can't remember if we were watching live when the second plane hit or not, but I do remember that being the end of anything we might have been doing that day.

BrunswickDawg
09-11-2014, 11:13 AM
It was a strange day for me. We had a 9 month old who refused to sleep. After another terrible night, the wife leaves the baby with me around 5:00 am to go for a walk on the beach and watch the sunrise before having another sleepless day raising a 2 year old and a 9 month old. I went into work when she got back, for another zombie day with little sleep (you guys who have gone through this know what I mean). I had a 9:00 am site tour with a bunch of donors showing them potential projects. The last donor who walks up says "I just heard on the radio that a plane crashed into the WTC". Everyone chats about it and we go on tour. Now, most of these folks are in there 70s/80s - and don't have cell phones. I turned mine off so I could lead discussions. About 45 minutes into the tour, a stream of Navy planes from NAS Jax and some A-10's from Moody AFB near Valdosta come barreling overhead - a real strange occurrence for coastal GA. I get back to the office with the group to start meeting with the donors about their funding preferences, and my boss comes bolting out the front door of the office - "Where they hell have you been? We are under attack, everyone go home. Planes have hit both Towers and the Pentagon. Go home." They go home, and my staff and I go a couple of blocks to my bosses' house and get there just in time to watch the first tower fall. We just watched for a couple of hours in stunned silence.

Now I have a 15 year old and a 13 year old, who have never known our country not to be at war, and with the way it looks now, that will continue for years to come.