PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell. We crack top 25 in USA Poll with a W this week....

RougeDawg
09-10-2014, 10:37 PM
We are currently 29 and a few of the teams ahead of us dropped a few spots each, even with a win this past week. UNC, Nebraska, and SCar all dropped with wins. I think with a good showing this weekend, including dominant defense, I could see us slipping in the top 25 with a W. Especially with us going to BR next weekend and ESPN benefiting more from a top 25 matchup vs a non top 25 matchup. They can market a top 25 matchup game and maximize their own gain. Just a thought.

I don't understand us being 33 in AP Poll either. Doesnt make sense, but then again I talked to a buddy who has an AP vote and he said he hasn't watched a down of MSU football, yet he's voting on us each week. Pretty sad that uneducated votes penalize teams.

Barking 13
09-10-2014, 10:38 PM
sell

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 10:38 PM
sell. Polls don't like how we're rotating our QBs.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 10:39 PM
I think we might, simply for that fact you mentioned about the matchup next weekend. Our game with LSU is on ESPN, so they will want it to be a marketable game. But we will have to dominate.

And since we likely won't dominate due to our rotation at QB...I'll sell

cheewgumm
09-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Oh lord I pray not.

LC Dawg
09-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Sell. Who was the last unranked team to win in Death Valley?

sleepy dawg
09-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Sell. No way in hell.

RC3
09-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Sell. We will be lucky to escape mobile with a win. No way we blow them out

Quaoarsking
09-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Maybe. We cracked the top 25 after a very unconvincing win at Troy 2 years ago -- a lot of times these things don't make a lot of logical sense.

thf24
09-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Sell. No one really moves into the top 25 by default anymore, unless they're Ole Miss.

Reason2succeed
09-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Since everyone is selling this is the perfect time to BUY cheap so BUY. ESPN will want us ranked so we will be ranked.

starkvegasdawg
09-11-2014, 07:42 AM
I can't see it happening. Now I do think we are one of the best 25 teams in the country but the national perception is not out there. And sadly, perception is reality. In fact, I see a scenario where we would never be ranked this season. I also see a scenario where we could be knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking by the middle of October. If we go lay an egg those first three SEC games we will never sniff the top 25. After this last tune up we have three straight top 10 teams to play. But, if we quit the stupid rotating and play like we're mad at the world and beat all three of those teams then we will be an easy top 15 team and quite possibly top 10 depending on what the other teams do. The next month will define our season, gentlemen. By the night of October 11 we will know if this will be a special season or just another season in MSU history where we're fighting with teams like UK and TSUN to see if we are going to the Liberty Bowl or Music City Bowl.

Bear@Work
09-11-2014, 07:45 AM
We are currently 29 and a few of the teams ahead of us dropped a few spots each, even with a win this past week. UNC, Nebraska, and SCar all dropped with wins. I think with a good showing this weekend, including dominant defense, I could see us slipping in the top 25 with a W. Especially with us going to BR next weekend and ESPN benefiting more from a top 25 matchup vs a non top 25 matchup. They can market a top 25 matchup game and maximize their own gain. Just a thought.

I don't understand us being 33 in AP Poll either. Doesnt make sense, but then again I talked to a buddy who has an AP vote and he said he hasn't watched a down of MSU football, yet he's voting on us each week. Pretty sad that uneducated votes penalize teams.

What is with all the ESPN stuff like they have some influence over the poll? They severed ties with the football coaches' poll nearly 10 years ago.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-06-07-poll_x.htm

Jack Lambert
09-11-2014, 07:55 AM
If Carolina gets whipped by GA pretty good we might. It VT gets beat by E. Carolina we might.

I think those two have to lose. I don't think OSU will lose to Kent State.

The Croom Diaries
09-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Sell. It's hard for voters to pull the trigger on having six SEC West teams in the top 25 unless they just have to.

TrapGame
09-11-2014, 08:04 AM
SELL!

Jack Lambert
09-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Looking at the schedule this weekend I say no.

If S.Carolina loses and KY wins, KY will move into 25.

If S.Carolina loses and Florida wins, they will move into 25.

If VT loses and S.Carolina loses the winner of the KY-FL game move in and what ever other team ahead of us moves in.

In order for us to have a chance we have to move up in the power rankings and to do that we have to whip S.Alabama pretty bad.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Sell. Beating USA gets you nothing. It's only losing to them that makes any difference.

cheewgumm
09-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Of we somehow beat LSU, AM and Auburn we will be in the top 10.

Chinchilla
09-11-2014, 08:28 AM
What is with all the ESPN stuff like they have some influence over the poll? They severed ties with the football coaches' poll nearly 10 years ago.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-06-07-poll_x.htm

That's some high quality black helicopter shit. So the theory goes that on Sunday morning the coaches fill out their ballots (or more accurately, a GA fills out the ballots). Then the votes come in, and then what? ESPN (which as you said isn't even accurate since they have nothing to do with the poll anymore) bumps us up a couple of spots to make sure we're #25? Or do they return a few ballots to coaches and demand they replace someone with us to give us the necessary votes? Do they contact the coaches late Saturday night or early Sunday morning to demand the votes go the way they want?

Ridiculous.

sandwolf
09-11-2014, 09:48 AM
But, if we quit the stupid rotating and play like we're mad at the world and beat all three of those teams then we will be an easy top 15 team and quite possibly top 10 depending on what the other teams do.

If we were to beat #9 LSU, #8 A&M and #5 Auburn, we would easily be in the top 10, and quite possibly in the top 5. We would probably slide into the #5 spot that we had just knocked Auburn out of.

fishwater99
09-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Keep on dreaming...

Mullen hasn't beaten a Top 20 team ever, and our last win over a Top 25 team was UF in 2010.

I'll take one win over a Top 25 team this year, and LSU or Auburn might be our best chance.

Dawg61
09-11-2014, 10:26 AM

We'll win by 21+

borne
09-11-2014, 11:25 AM
ESPN doesn't decide the polls... Voters don't vote according to matchups next week and tv numbers. That being said, I believe if we have a really good showing including holding USA to few points and win by 40+ and a few teams ranked higher than us lose, we probably will crack the top 25. My prediction however is that we will need a win against LSU in the following week to be ranked and if that happens we may be ranked in the top 15-20.

BeardoMSU
09-11-2014, 11:56 AM
If we were to beat #9 LSU, #8 A&M and #5 Auburn, we would easily be in the top 10, and quite possibly in the top 5. We would probably slide into the #5 spot that we had just knocked Auburn out of.

Precisely. People need to stop worrying about being ranked this Sunday, Sep. 13th. What matters is if we're ranked the Sunday of Oct. 11. All that matters is winning 2/3 or 3/3 between LSU, A&M, and Aub; we do that, and we're well on our way to a great season.

defiantdog
09-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Of we somehow beat LSU, AM and Auburn we will be in the top 10.

http://susannahartigan.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/wishful_thinking180.jpg

mstatefan91
09-11-2014, 01:01 PM
This is just ludicrous. I'm not even gonna get into the reasons why....

MarketingBully01
09-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Meant to ask this question earlier and this thread seems as good as any. Would your feelings change regarding the season (and this very well could happen) if the following happens:

MSU 41-3 over USA
Ole Miss 47-34 over ULL
Alabama 35-7 over USM

What say you?

BulldogBear
09-11-2014, 01:08 PM
I can't see it happening. Now I do think we are one of the best 25 teams in the country but the national perception is not out there. And sadly, perception is reality. In fact, I see a scenario where we would never be ranked this season. I also see a scenario where we could be knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking by the middle of October. If we go lay an egg those first three SEC games we will never sniff the top 25. After this last tune up we have three straight top 10 teams to play. But, if we quit the stupid rotating and play like we're mad at the world and beat all three of those teams then we will be an easy top 15 team and quite possibly top 10 depending on what the other teams do. The next month will define our season, gentlemen. By the night of October 11 we will know if this will be a special season or just another season in MSU history where we're fighting with teams like UK and TSUN to see if we are going to the Liberty Bowl or Music City Bowl.

The really interesting thing is that all 3 of them will also be undefeated in all likelihood when we play. How sweet would it be to knock 3 undefeated top 10s in a row?

Spider-Man
09-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Sell.

Dawgface
09-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Sell.

Spider-Man
09-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Only 7 members of the AP panel voted for us this week. Highest was #18 by a guy in Indiana.