PDA

View Full Version : Offensive playmakers

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Was listening to Bo Bounds this morning and he ran an interview with Neal McCready where Neal said he wasn't sure if MSU had the offensive playmakers to score against good teams. This got me thinking about a few things: 1. Neal is just repeating the company line and probably doesn't know much about our team
& 2. Does MSU have more offensive play makers than Ole Miss?

From a playmaking stand point:

Dak > Bo = MSU. There's no argument here.

Tredwell > Bear = Ole Miss, Although this one is getting closer. Other than catching some back shoulder throws and looking good in a uniform, I'm not sure what Treadwell has done to be better than Bear. I don't think Treadwell is faster.

Robinson > Ole Miss' committee of running backs = MSU and it isn't close.

Jameon Lewis > or = Cody Core = MSU or equal

Robert Johnson/ Fred Ross > or = Vincent Sanders & Adeboyo (sp?) = MSU or equal

Malcolm Johnson < Evan Ingram = Ole Miss

So, what is Neal Mcready talking about? We have more play makers than Ole Miss and we aren't one demisional like Ole Miss. Not sure what Neal was looking at with his quote.

Jack Lambert
09-10-2014, 10:52 AM
What was Bo's response?

EAVdog
09-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Neal McCready is just a douche. Nothing else to see here.

They have 2 really good players, Treadwell and Engram. Nobody else they have is special. And they don't have a Running Back.

All their hype will disappear after the Bama game. ESPN is just pumping them up so Game Day will be watched. Then they will fade into the usual OM we all know. Really no need to worry about them until the week of Thanksgiving.

LC Dawg
09-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Before this year is over I think both Bear Wilson and Fred Ross will be as good or better playmakers than Treadwell. Treadwell is just more polished than our guys right now but I don't really think he's more talented.
The only real advantage they have over us is at TE. That's not a knock on our guys, Engram is pretty damn good.

BeardoMSU
09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/idgas.gif

msstate7
09-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Before this year is over I think both Bear Wilson and Fred Ross will be as good or better playmakers than Treadwell. Treadwell is just more polished than our guys right now but I don't really think he's more talented.
The only real advantage they have over us is at TE. That's not a knock on our guys, Engram is pretty damn good.

Engram is good, but Matt wells is a matchup nightmare for him IMO. Wells is faster and just as big

thunderclap
09-10-2014, 11:04 AM
You lost me at "Neal said"

DudyDawg
09-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Core is not equal to Jameon. Jameon is the sec returning relieving leader...... Core is far from that. Yes, Jameon started slow. But he's still a better play maker

msstate7
09-10-2014, 11:10 AM
What was Bo's response?

Something about the y'all lifestyle im sure*

MSUDawg4Life
09-10-2014, 11:11 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/idgas.gif

^^^ This.

shoeless joe
09-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't trade bear for treadwell

msstate7
09-10-2014, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't trade bear for treadwell

I'm not sure if I agree with this or not. I do know that down the stretch of the egg, bear made plays and treadwell did not

EAVdog
09-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Derunnya Willson - 3 TD's with 6 receptions

Laquon Treadwell - 1 TD with 11 receptions

Damn we have no play makers.

shoeless joe
09-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure if I agree with this or not. I do know that down the stretch of the egg, bear made plays and treadwell did not

Treadwell is really good at what he does. Bear can do more.

He has improved 10 fold from last year. He is not yet near his overall potential where tread is fairly close to his. I've seen bear do some things from a technique standpoint that I haven't seen in a long time from a state reciever.

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Core is not equal to Jameon. Jameon is the sec returning relieving leader...... Core is far from that. Yes, Jameon started slow. But he's still a better play maker

I lean towards agreeing with you and Jameon has certainly been more productive, however, my objective here is was to be as unbiased as possible. Therefore, I gave the Rebs the benefit of the doubt when it was close, just so the point would get across.

engie
09-10-2014, 11:26 AM
This isn't even close to what Neal was actually attempting to convey, which had more to do with us and winning/keeping up in a track meet. His point was valid in that regard until he tried to make it about players when it should have been about Mullen and the offense itself.

This will still be the best-equipped Mullen team in that regard by far...

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Treadwell vs Bear is a good conversation. I think they are similar style players with similar speed, but Treadwell has better hands and body control. Bear has just as much if not more production though, but that could largely be due to Bear having a QB that can stretch the field.

Bear makes more plays down the field

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2014, 11:28 AM
This isn't even close to what Neal was actually attempting to convey, which had more to do with us and winning/keeping up in a track meet. His point was valid in that regard until he tried to make it about players when it should have been about Mullen and the offense itself.

This will still be the best-equipped Mullen team in that regard by far...

Your exactly correct. McCready wasn't comparing OM to MSU when he said this. I just thought it interesting he would say this about MSU without saying it about OM, when MSU has more playmakers than Ole Miss.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 11:29 AM
We have far more playmakers. This ain't the old day, Neal...you dipshit

fishwater99
09-10-2014, 11:34 AM
How and why do you listen to Out of Bounds??.... I personally can't stand it..

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2014, 11:37 AM
How and why do you listen to Out of Bounds??.... I personally can't stand it..

I actually think Bo has one of the best college football radio shows in the South. I've lived in different parts of the country and he does as good a job as any. I actually think his show is easier to listen to than Finebaum.

starkvegasdawg
09-10-2014, 11:41 AM

Relieving leader?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/734222/316286_2437523387902_1546272615_2618253_1881096737 _n.jpeg

LC Dawg
09-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Engram is good, but Matt wells is a matchup nightmare for him IMO. Wells is faster and just as big

I agree. Matt Wells is a luxury that a lot of people don't have because of his size and speed. My brother and I watched him a lot Saturday. It looks like his coverage skills have improved from last year.

Bothrops
09-10-2014, 12:17 PM
How about Jamoral Graham. Might as well add him. We should see hopefully sooner than later.

Maroonthirteen
09-10-2014, 12:21 PM
We have play makers. I would agree we don't have anyone with world class speed on offense but we have playmakers. Similar to Emmitt Smitt and Michael Irvin. I dont recall either of those guys with break away speed but they produced. 13 & 1 are similar. Also, Dak is a playmaker no question.

FlabLoser
09-10-2014, 12:24 PM
I don't give a shit what Neal McReady thinks.

Its been great watching Bear Wilson play this year. He's a man and he's not even 40. Look forward to seeing him make some plays in big games.

Another guy I like is Walley.

I think we're stretching the field more this year with a pretty good crop of receivers. I think we'll hit some big plays with the TE. And I think all of that is going to open the run quite a bit.

I don't know if we have much for home run threats. But we have doubles and triples in spades and I'll take that.

Maroons
09-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Was listening to Bo Bounds this morning and he ran an interview with Neal McCready where Neal said he wasn't sure if MSU had the offensive playmakers to score against good teams.

This is the most offensive skill talent we've had under Mullen, but we're still not comparable to Bama, Auburn, and A&M. Those teams just have ridiculous skill talent. LSU is right there too - it's just young.

Coach34
09-10-2014, 01:17 PM
If Neal doesn't think we do- then he better not count on Ole Missus scoring many points

HoopsDawg
09-10-2014, 01:21 PM
This is the most offensive skill talent we've had under Mullen, but we're still not comparable to Bama, Auburn, and A&M. Those teams just have ridiculous skill talent. LSU is right there too - it's just young.

This is correct.

I'm glad to finally have a guy or 2 on the outside that I feel comfortable with. 4 years ago, Joe Morrow would have been our #1, now he is our #5 and I'm only talking about the outside.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 01:33 PM
We scored 30 against a "good team" (LSU) last year when Dak, DeRunnya, JRob, we're either getting their first snaps, or not many snaps at all. And then we scored 40+ against a "good team" named A&M. And I'm assuming Neal thinks Ole Missus is a "good team", and our playmakers scored points against them while they didn't even score offensively on us.

Bear Wilson caught a TD pass in some of his first action of the year against LSU last year. Prescott threw him that pass. Prescott also made a scramble from about 30 yards out for a TD in that game, against LSU, a "good team". And those "non playmakers" Mccready talks about, are back this year with experience.

Neal needs to STFU. Why is he commenting on MSU anyway? He's an Ole Missus homer and everybody knows it. I blame Bo Bounds for allowing that douche rebel to comment on our talent in the first place.

confucius say
09-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Not to take attention away from skill spots, but the determining factor in whether we are 7-5 or 9-3 will not be skill positions - it will be the OL. Same goes for da bears. Bo Bounds's point was that neither us nor da Bears have a big time payer at running back and that is what prevents us both from being true SEC west contenders. BS. We are not UGA or LSU or Bama at running back, but we are good enough at running back to win the west. The problem will be on the line of scrimmage.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Not to take attention away from skill spots, but the determining factor in whether we are 7-5 or 9-3 will not be skill positions - it will be the OL. Same goes for da bears. Bo Bounds's point was that neither us nor da Bears have a big time payer at running back and that is what prevents us both from being true SEC west contenders. BS. We are not UGA or LSU or Bama at running back, but we are good enough at running back to win the west. The problem will be on the line of scrimmage.

To compare our RB's to Ole Miss's is laughable. We have a playmaker at RB...OM has 8 Holloways. And that is no offense to Holloway, but you need more than that style of back in the SECW. And our Line is better too

Bully Dee Williams
09-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Ok...decided to do a little research. Let's face it, their schedule has not exactly against world beaters either:

Team Offense:
total yards yds/game pass pass yds/game rush rush yds/game pts pts/game
Miss. State 1066 533 573 286.5 493 246.5 96 48
OM 1005 503 754 377 251 125.5 76 38

Passing:
comp att yds comp% yds/comp td int qbr
Dak 30 51 595 58 9.7 8 2 184.3
Bo 48 66 707 72 10.7 5 3 178.6

Rushing:
carries yds avg long td
MSU
J. Robinson 34 211 6.2 28 1
Dak 26 134 5.2 17 1

OM
J.Wilkins 10 48 4.8 9 1
M. Dodson 11 47 4.3 19 1

Receiving:
rec yds avg long td
MSU:
RoJo 3 86 28.7 68 1
Bear 6 84 14 25 3

OM:
C. Core 8 195 24.4 76 3
E.Engram 11 153 13.9 31 0
L. Paidwell 11 136 12.4 31 1

Misc:
MSU:
Offense ranked #16
14 players w/ at least 1 reception
6 players w/ at least 1 TD reception
3 players w/ at least 1 rushing TD
4 players w/10+ carries (yds/carry avg: 6.2, 5.2, 4.4, and 3.8 (Holloway))

OM:
Offense ranked #29
10 players w/ at least 1 reception
3 players w/ at least 1 td reception
4 players w/ at least 1 rushing TD
5 players w/10+ carries (yds/carry avg: 4.8, 4.3, 2.6, 2.7, 0.9)