PDA

View Full Version : Well I will say our PKs our very consistent...

maroonmania
09-10-2014, 09:10 AM
after rewatching the first half of the UAB game EVERY extra point was RIGHT at the right upright. It either slid just inside, went just outside or hit the right upright. Sounds to me like we just get our kickers to AIM at the left upright and we are good to go! :rolleyes:

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 09:21 AM
plant foot's off or the hold is titled wrong. someone go rewatch the kicks so I don't have to.

Goat Holder
09-10-2014, 09:29 AM
No, that would be akin to aiming left to try and keep a slice in the fairway. Plus, they are losing about 20 yards of power on their kicks.

Goat Holder
09-10-2014, 09:30 AM
plant foot's off or the hold is titled wrong. someone go rewatch the kicks so I don't have to.

Not quite that simple.

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2014, 09:32 AM

See this is what Mullen says. Trying to make this technical and further mind screwing the kickers.

When you miss right in games, but do well in practice, it means you are a wussy. It's just like consistently pushing putts on the golf course. It means you were scared to miss and let it go. It's a mental issue not physical.

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Not quite that simple.

on PATs, it usually is. on FGs, I would agree.

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 09:34 AM
See this is what Mullen says. Trying to make this technical and further mind screwing the kickers.

When you miss right in games, but do well in practice, it means you are a wussy. It's just like consistently pushing putts on the gold course. It means you were scared to miss and let it go. It's a mental issue not physical.

so give them a mental exercise... like being focused on getting their plant foot right.

starkvegasdawg
09-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Is there a lumosity game they could do?

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Lol.

What id do is set up a small target well beyond the field goal uprights and encourage the kickers to kick at that target. At home, one target could be on the M club and the other could be a hot cougar in the scoreboard club. This would encourage the kickers to kick, with maximum leg speed, through the uprights and not at the uprights. Aim small, miss small.

Another thing we should be doing at practice is practicing with extremely narrow up rights. That way, when regulation uprights were used in games, our kickers would feel like thy are throwing a tennis ball in the ocean.

DawgHouseUnited
09-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Lol.

What id do is set up a small target well beyond the field goal uprights and encourage the kickers to kick at that target. At home, one target could be on the M club and the other could be a hot cougar in the scoreboard club. This would encourage the kickers to kick, with maximum leg speed, through the uprights and not at the uprights. Aim small, miss small.

Another thing we should be doing at practice is practicing with extremely narrow up rights. That way, when regulation uprights were used in games, our kickers would feel like thy are throwing a tennis ball in the ocean.

I imagine that they are doing something like this, but I'd want to "rattle" the kickers in practice. Have the team lined up around their kicking lane, howling, yelling, making noise trying to shake them as they go through the kick. Sure, it would make them miss some (I know it would me), but my thought is that if/when they get through it and start making them under that pressure, then game pressure will come easier. 'Course, that's all dependent on it being mental and not those "little things" like the hold, laces, the snap, etc..

/end armchair coaching

joedog
09-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Why don't we take up a donation or do a raffle to send our kickers to the

http://s24.postimg.org/w1mwery3p/PS_0881_FINKLE.jpg

P.S.

While I was looking for that image I ran across this one. I mean what the hell is wrong with people?? That is taking laces out a little bit to far.

http://s15.postimg.org/3owa5hohn/shoelacehooks1.jpg

And here you can buy your very own hoodie on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Finkle-Laces-Out-Ace-Ventura-jersey-football-Hoodie-/251342025181

I'll donate $$ if anyone wants to buy one and send it to Dan :)

yjnkdawg
09-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Why not practice with arena football type goal posts, which are 9' wide compared to college, which I think are 18'6". Then it should be like looking at a big screen tv on Saturday, compared to a small screen. Then they would probably do worse in practice, so less confidence? Who knows?

maroonmania
09-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Another solution is to always lineup our extra points on the left hashmark (I assume you have that choice) and just leave everything else alone. Should sail right through the middle then. And yes, I am halfway joking but if we are always going to push the ball it would work.

mstatefan91
09-10-2014, 01:40 PM
It's completely mental. A good kicker could make those PAT's with a blindfold on (assuming the hold is good).