PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with you people?

Coach 57
09-10-2014, 08:32 AM
This is TOTALLY bananas to get all fired up about this past Saturday. Or getting mad because we didn't beat them by "more"?

The US Coast Guard's motto is "Semper Paratus". It's Latin for "always ready". Mullen learned last year after losing Hughes, Tyler, and others this statement. But ask yourself this. How can the players behind the starters "be ready" if they don't "play IN A GAME with consequences"? I've coached kids that say on the sideline half the season. Were they in practice? Yes. Did I push them like I pushed my starters? Yes. But when my starters got hurt, does that mean they are "ready"? Not unless they've been in there they won't be! My philosophy is this, and I've said this to parents, players & coaches: "you'll never know what it's like to be in a fight until you've been popped right square in the nose! Now go out there and pop somebody and get ready to BE popped!" Here's a news flash PRACTICE doesn't do that. And neither does being up 4 TDs in the 4th with a few minutes left. Game time does this! Then you watch film with them, critique them as you are assessing their efforts or lack there of. Their technique. You can't do that blowing somebody out! What would we have done if Kendrick Market wasn't ready to step in last year? When do you think Mullen started prepping Williams to play last year? The week of Bama, Arky or UM? And he played "ok" Vs all three. He has potential but he is going to need IN GAME/MEANINGFUL reps. Plus Mullen has ALWAYS done this with QBs. Why are you so surprised? He did it at Utah, UF & here with Lee/Relf, Relf/Russell, Russell/Dak and now Dak/Williams. If you want to be mad about the kicking game. Fine. I've got no issue with that. But honestly I've thought we've played pretty well & will beat LSU in BR. Rant over.

TrapGame
09-10-2014, 08:57 AM
This needs to be read with the national anthem in the background.

Well said coach.

bluelightstar
09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Again -- everybody is able to see what Mullen is doing. The disagreement is about whether it's the right strategy, considering that about 80%+ of other football coaches ever don't do this.

Coach34
09-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Ole Missus has passed by!!!!! We need HUD!!!!!! No way we win the Egg Bowl- Nov, 2013

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 09:02 AM
"what do you mean 'you people'?"

Coach34
09-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Again -- everybody is able to see what Mullen is doing. The disagreement is about whether it's the right strategy, considering that about 80%+ of other football coaches ever don't do this.

90% of football coaches haven't won at State like Mullen has

MSUDawg4Life
09-10-2014, 09:03 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gBOoWjU3wDI/UFdS9Y-9_wI/AAAAAAAADCQ/q-psML1GNqU/s1600/slow-clap-gif.gif

bluelightstar
09-10-2014, 09:06 AM

That's fine -- I'm just pointing out that he's one of the few coaches I've ever heard of doing this. There have been coaches that won at schools similar to us that won a lot of games at their school without doing this. I find it annoying, irritating, and unnecessary, but unless and until it loses a game for us, I will just continue to be annoyed. I'm just pointing out that it's an odd and unpopular strategy among other coaches -- regardless of how Mullen has won at State.

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Good post 57. Always respect your opinion.

On another note, how many different ways are we going to find to ask this same question? It's actually quite impressive how many different ways this board has found to ask the same question and start the same thread over and over again.

bluelightstar
09-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Good post 57. Always respect your opinion.

On another note, how many different ways are we going to find to ask this same question? It's actually quite impressive how many different ways this board has found to ask the same question and start the same thread over and over again.

Agreed -- I think most people were over talking about it. I don't recall seeing a new thread about it yesterday.

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 09:11 AM
oh yeah, and please post more often 57.

MSUDawg4Life
09-10-2014, 09:11 AM
That's fine -- I'm just pointing out that he's one of the few coaches I've ever heard of doing this. There have been coaches that won at schools similar to us that won a lot of games at their school without doing this. I find it annoying, irritating, and unnecessary, but unless and until it loses a game for us, I will just continue to be annoyed. I'm just pointing out that it's an odd and unpopular strategy among other coaches -- regardless of how Mullen has won at State.

Coaching at Mississippi State - trying to recruit and develop a team capable of competing in the SEC West - is a different situation than most coaches have to deal with.

Mullen has a strategy and it makes sense considering who we are, what we have to deal with and who we must compete against regardless of what other coaches do or what you think.

shoeless joe
09-10-2014, 09:15 AM
If dak had played the first 2.5-3 quarters of our games so far, instead of rotating with Williams in the 1st quarter , this wouldn't even be discussed. Much less 50+ threads on it already.

MaxedOutMaroon
09-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Heard that. Some people just don't understand this simple concept.

MSUDawg4Life
09-10-2014, 09:19 AM
If dak had played the first 2.5-3 quarters of our games so far, instead of rotating with Williams in the 1st quarter , this wouldn't even be discussed. Much less 50+ threads on it already.

Or if Williams had completed a few drives and scored. Either way, the peanut gallery would have been satisfied.

The point is Dan's strategy was not wrong for those situations.

Goat Holder
09-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Coaching at Mississippi State - trying to recruit and develop a team capable of competing in the SEC West - is a different situation than most coaches have to deal with..

THIS

The ignorant faction has a built-in defense mechanism for this response though - "You're just a woe-is-us fans luluzzzz"

MSU, K-State, Washington State and Iowa State have pretty much the hardest P5 jobs in the country outside of the academic schools: Vanderbilt, Wake Forest and Duke (Stanford would typically be here). Guess who's located in the smallest town, in the poorest state? That'd be MSU. This is FACT. Nothing we can do about it. It's not woe-is-us to recognize and accept this fact. We cannot move until you do.

Now that we know that......it takes some thinking outside the box to win. Mullen/Stricklin have done a good job so far of doing that IMO.

starkvegasdawg
09-10-2014, 09:20 AM
I don't think many had any problems letting the backups get playing time. Speaking only for myself, my main issue was how he subbed them in. I disagreed with subbing in 11 people at a time. You want to take a series and sub in 2, 3, or 4 then that is fine as that is how it would most likely happen in a game of consequence. But, there is not way (or we hope there is no way), he would ever sub in the entire set of backups at one time against an LSU or Bama. To play devil's advocate here...would it not make sense to let the backups see meaningful playing time intermingled with the starters? That would build familiarity in a much more realistic game situation. If McKinney tweaks an ankle and needs to sit out a couple series to get it retaped and loosened back up you would not send in an entirely new defensive unit. You send in another MLB.

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 09:20 AM
screw all of you for forcing me to agree with goat.***

codeDawg
09-10-2014, 09:22 AM
If it works, it's genius. If it's the same ol' thing, it's a bunch of shitty games that people pay a bunch of money for and few want to watch. I hope it's genius.

Goat Holder
09-10-2014, 09:28 AM
If it works, it's genius. If it's the same ol' thing, it's a bunch of shitty games that people pay a bunch of money for and few want to watch. I hope it's genius.

I've often said that the easy non-conference games would be forgotten if we'd just beat someone of substance. We did in 2010, and DWS was rocking all year no matter the opponent. We did not in 2011, and it was sort of dead. 2012 the same, although we were pretty up until the losing streak. Last year the fanbase was dying again, but resurrected.

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 09:36 AM
I've often said that the easy non-conference games would be forgotten if we'd just beat someone of substance. We did in 2010, and DWS was rocking all year no matter the opponent. We did not in 2011, and it was sort of dead. 2012 the same, although we were pretty up until the losing streak. Last year the fanbase was dying again, but resurrected.

beat LSU and the walls will crumble under the pressure come A&M.

Pollodawg
09-10-2014, 09:45 AM
We'll see going forward. Win, and nobody cares. Don't win.......well.......

FlabLoser
09-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Agree with 57.

Stricklin is trying his hardest to provide fans with a great gameday experience. Some of you have confused that with Mullen's objectives. Mullen isn't in this to put on a show for fans. He's in it to win football games. Did we win last week? Yes. Now STFU.

Unless you want to complain about 1) our CBs not covering CUSA WRs one on one, or more importantly....2) #CollegeKickers.

cheewgumm
09-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Mullen rarely loses when favored. I'm anxious to see this year if we can win when we're not.

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2014, 09:58 AM
This is TOTALLY bananas to get all fired up about this past Saturday. Or getting mad because we didn't beat them by "more"?

The US Coast Guard's motto is "Semper Paratus". It's Latin for "always ready". Mullen learned last year after losing Hughes, Tyler, and others this statement. But ask yourself this. How can the players behind the starters "be ready" if they don't "play IN A GAME with consequences"? I've coached kids that say on the sideline half the season. Were they in practice? Yes. Did I push them like I pushed my starters? Yes. But when my starters got hurt, does that mean they are "ready"? Not unless they've been in there they won't be! My philosophy is this, and I've said this to parents, players & coaches: "you'll never know what it's like to be in a fight until you've been popped right square in the nose! Now go out there and pop somebody and get ready to BE popped!" Here's a news flash PRACTICE doesn't do that. And neither does being up 4 TDs in the 4th with a few minutes left. Game time does this! Then you watch film with them, critique them as you are assessing their efforts or lack there of. Their technique. You can't do that blowing somebody out! What would we have done if Kendrick Market wasn't ready to step in last year? When do you think Mullen started prepping Williams to play last year? The week of Bama, Arky or UM? And he played "ok" Vs all three. He has potential but he is going to need IN GAME/MEANINGFUL reps. Plus Mullen has ALWAYS done this with QBs. Why are you so surprised? He did it at Utah, UF & here with Lee/Relf, Relf/Russell, Russell/Dak and now Dak/Williams. If you want to be mad about the kicking game. Fine. I've got no issue with that. But honestly I've thought we've played pretty well & will beat LSU in BR. Rant over.

http://i.imgur.com/T40NzdX.gif

http://i.imgur.com/RSCcYCh.gif

Dawgtini
09-10-2014, 10:01 AM
THIS

The ignorant faction has a built-in defense mechanism for this response though - "You're just a woe-is-us fans luluzzzz"

MSU, K-State, Washington State and Iowa State have pretty much the hardest P5 jobs in the country outside of the academic schools: Vanderbilt, Wake Forest and Duke (Stanford would typically be here). Guess who's located in the smallest town, in the poorest state? That'd be MSU. This is FACT. Nothing we can do about it. It's not woe-is-us to recognize and accept this fact. We cannot move until you do.

Now that we know that......it takes some thinking outside the box to win. Mullen/Stricklin have done a good job so far of doing that IMO.

+1 #TeamGoat #MightNeedToSeeMyShrink

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2014, 10:02 AM
oh yeah, and please post more often 57.

+1 We need more 57!

Coach 57
09-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Flab, In regards to your comment about our CBs Vs their WRs. Wasn't Calhoun playing hurt when they threw bombed him? Also in another of those long plays the DB was going after the INT (and very well could've been a bang-bang play or a 50/50 ball)? And the others were on guys that normally do NOT play? These are things we need to REALLY look at. I feel between coach Hughes & Townsend they will fix these issues.

I can tell you this, since Deshea has been here our CBs are more adept and coached better to handle man press coverage as that was his specialty in his playing days. I love Banks, but he wasn't as good a man-to-man CB as Calhoun is currently. Why? Because Collins' system requires man coverage where Wilson/Manny Diaz's was a more zone oriented scheme. We are going to be fine!

DownwardDawg
09-10-2014, 10:23 AM
"what do you mean 'you people'?"

Hahaha!!! Well played.

FlabLoser
09-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Flab, In regards to your comment about our CBs Vs their WRs. Wasn't Calhoun playing hurt when they threw bombed him? Also in another of those long plays the DB was going after the INT (and very well could've been a bang-bang play or a 50/50 ball)? And the others were on guys that normally do NOT play? These are things we need to REALLY look at. I feel between coach Hughes & Townsend they will fix these issues.

I can tell you this, since Deshea has been here our CBs are more adept and coached better to handle man press coverage as that was his specialty in his playing days. I love Banks, but he wasn't as good a man-to-man CB as Calhoun is currently. Why? Because Collins' system requires man coverage where Wilson/Manny Diaz's was a more zone oriented scheme. We are going to be fine!

Correct, Calhoun had been hurt just before giving up the big play on him.

Redmond got outrun and burned once. Sometime after that, Redmond went for the INT and missed.

I didn't see the 4th bomb at the end of the game.

Political Hack
09-10-2014, 10:31 AM

yes, yes, and yes.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 10:49 AM
I find it hilarious how day after day these threads are posted trying to call out "those that are questioning Mullen". Yet, none of you are addressing the issues that people are actually questioning.

I have yet to see a single person say "we don't need to get the backups reps in actual tough situations".

I have yet to see a single person say "we don't need to give any reps to our backup QB".

I have yet to see a single person say "we should have won by more points!!1!"

The issue is not getting our backups reps. Do I need to repeat that so we don't have to have more posts and threads claiming people are actually saying these things? The issue is "why do we have to put our backup QB in so early that it keeps Dak from getting a rhythm and developing a repoir with his WR's?", and "why do we have to let all of the backups get reps at the same damn time, instead of subbing in a few at a time, where we don't take such a drastic drop off".

You guys can use military phrases, and stomp your feet, and use exclamation points, and everything else...but you're doing it for no reason, because people aren't complaining about the things you're bashing them for. These are legitimate questions and concerns.

I think it is so funny watching people try to "call out" those of us questioning the sub pattern, and using things we haven't even said against us.

Hell, even coach said in his Sunday QB thread, that he wasn't getting into the sub issue because it's up to each individual as to whether that was smart or not. Now he and several others are acting like Dan's a genius for it. Maybe he is...but so far we have lost hype, and seen our QB go from over 50% in game one, to under 50% in game 2....so the evidence of Dan being a genius hasn't shown yet. Maybe it will against LSU. But nobody is in a position to say that people questioning his sub patterns are "stupid" or "wrong". Not yet anyway.

But carry on. You guys have now started more threads defending the sub patterns than the people you're trying to crucify

Coach 57
09-10-2014, 10:52 AM
I expect Redmond to really get better this year in his technique (he opened his hips too late on the first) and the other (again) was a bang bang play. The last was on Irvin-Sills I believe who needs more development but will be fine.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 10:57 AM
I expect Redmond to really get better this year in his technique (he opened his hips too late on the first) and the other (again) was a bang bang play. The last was on Irvin-Sills I believe who needs more development but will be fine.

Yea the defensive issues don't worry me. Collins tested them on islands, now he knows what they're capable of. We'll get that fixed

blacklistedbully
09-10-2014, 11:12 AM
I find it hilarious how day after day these threads are posted trying to call out "those that are questioning Mullen". Yet, none of you are addressing the issues that people are actually questioning.

I have yet to see a single person say "we don't need to get the backups reps in actual tough situations".

I have yet to see a single person say "we don't need to give any reps to our backup QB".

I have yet to see a single person say "we should have won by more points!!1!"
The issue is not getting our backups reps. Do I need to repeat that so we don't have to have more posts and threads claiming people are actually saying these things? The issue is "why do we have to put our backup QB in so early that it keeps Dak from getting a rhythm and developing a repoir with his WR's?", and "why do we have to let all of the backups get reps at the same damn time, instead of subbing in a few at a time, where we don't take such a drastic drop off".
You guys can use military phrases, and stomp your feet, and use exclamation points, and everything else...but you're doing it for no reason, because people aren't complaining about the things you're bashing them for. These are legitimate questions and concerns.

I think it is so funny watching people try to "call out" those of us questioning the sub pattern, and using things we haven't even said against us.
Hell, even coach said in his Sunday QB thread, that he wasn't getting into the sub issue because it's up to each individual as to whether that was smart or not. Now he and several others are acting like Dan's a genius for it. Maybe he is...but so far we have lost hype, and seen our QB go from over 50% in game one, to under 50% in game 2....so the evidence of Dan being a genius hasn't shown yet. Maybe it will against LSU. But nobody is in a position to say that people questioning his sub patterns are "stupid" or "wrong". Not yet anyway.
But carry on. You guys have now started more threads defending the sub patterns than the people you're trying to crucify

+1 Attaboy, Cadaver! You nailed it. It's nearly impossible to have an intelligent debate with someone who so freely takes other's words out-of-context, etc, etc.

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2014, 11:30 AM

^^THIS is why we love 57!

Goat Holder
09-10-2014, 11:45 AM
"why do we have to put our backup QB in so early that it keeps Dak from getting a rhythm and developing a repoir with his WR's?"

He's getting a good many reps as it is. I don't think this is near the problem that you think it is. Yes, he misses throws sometimes, but Williams development might be more important than something you can practice.

"why do we have to let all of the backups get reps at the same damn time, instead of subbing in a few at a time, where we don't take such a drastic drop off".

Good question. I guess because nobody really sees it as that big of a deal. From my experience, it IS a few at a time. There's always some starters left in.

That's just typical message board banter/miscommunication/nit-picking/word-twisting. If you can't handle that without getting butt-hurt, maybe this isn't your thing, you know?

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Quit trying to be "message board cool" with your "butt hurt" comments, Goat. Grown men are talking sports, son.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 11:52 AM
And for what it's worth...I'm done with last week. It's time for this week. Just wanted to point out that nobody is arguing the things in this thread. Let's move forward. I don't expect Mullen to rotate as much this week anyway.

basedog
09-10-2014, 12:12 PM
I like the motto "Just Win Baby", Msu has been on way too many losing seasons to bitch about how we win! I guess I would rather look or play bad and win than look or play good and lose! That's just me.

cheewgumm
09-10-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm ready to skip this week and play LSU

bluelightstar
09-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Well, Mullen says in his teleconference that we're doing it again (including at QB) this week. So just get ready.

MSUDawg4Life
09-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Good.

TrapGame
09-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Well, Mullen says in his teleconference that we're doing it again (including at QB) this week. So just get ready.

Well, I hope all the experience from the last two games means the second teamers drive ball and score on their first possession.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 12:30 PM

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/811345152/hA0A4F766/

BeardoMSU
09-10-2014, 12:35 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/wtf/wedding-crashers-wtf.gif

MSUDawg4Life
09-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Well, I hope all the experience from the last two games means the second teamers drive ball and score.

FIFY. It doesn't have to be on their first possession.

I think that's the point of this whole exercise though. We'll see if they've gotten better ... or if they need more work.

TrapGame
09-10-2014, 12:56 PM
FIFY. It doesn't have to be on their first possession.

I think that's the point of this whole exercise though. We'll see if they've gotten better ... or if they need more work.

True, I just want to see Damien and company score in "meaningful time".

Coach 57
09-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Couple if things because I actually like Cadaver.

I'm not on here as much as I have been in the past. So excuse me for beating a "horse" that's already been beaten. I'm commenting on the few posts I HAVE seen and then the ear chatter I get at work. So, sorry.

As far as the replacing whole units comment/question. I guess when Dak made his debut you didn't see he had an entirely different package if players? Did you not notice they switched centers? Holley came in with Dak and pulled Day out. Why? Because THIS is the unit they work with in practice. He's (Mullen) kind of always done this just not as noticeable because our hearts & heads are Dak & the hype surrounding him. I'm not saying YOU are but, I'm an MSU fan first (see I took out my exclamation marks). And then I'm a Dak fan. We need development, not just a little bit but WHOLESALE across the board. These guys are getting better. If there is anybody who should gripe it should be Chris Jones, he doesn't play nearly enough as RN does for the bears, but when it's all said and done he'll be a better developed player when they both leave. You think Eulls, Virges are as good as Chris? Lol? They also need to develop, to help us be successful. It's not about a particular player or hype it's about who can & WILL contribute when someone goes down. Because make no mistake, we WILL have an injury. Then what? Are we going to put in a guy very Croomesque that is a "trial by fire" situation? Or will he have had time (REAL TIME) on the field with his brothers? Not in "mop up duty".

Does it affect the rhythm of the offense when Mullen pulls Dak? YES! But so does an INT, or a mis-communication in blocking assignment on a critical 3rd down. If he can't overcome rhythm from watching and seeing on the sideline just WHAT the defense is doing while standing next to a coach showing him...perhaps he isn't the leader we all assume he is (which we know he is). Sometimes pulling a kid & showing him just what they are doing defensively is very helpful to get their focus up & emotions down. You can't play QB when pumped up on emotions, it'll cost you possessions.

And as far as the comment about "stomping my feet" and using military slogans. First off I'm not "stomping my feet" I'm just voicing my opinion just like everybody else. I'm too old to throw temper tantrums. And as far as the military saying comment, I'm a prior serviceman and on that one your just gonna have to stow it. I'm not apologizing for it.

RougeDawg
09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Bottom line is this. Cadaver hit the nail on the head. I could give 0 shits if our entire team gets meaningful reps. But I completely disagree with jeopardizing timing and rhythm the way Dan is doing it. Let each team get a few consecutive series, before Dans hockey line change approach. Let them get some type of cohesiveness before you pull them. Dak and Damien both looked shaky after they went back in. At least Dak's legs allowed his drives to continue and he eventually found his rhythm again, but the way we are doing it does nothing positive except get people reps. It doesn't create a well oiled machine.

I'll say it again, if Dan does not allow starting units to create some Ruth and crossovers this week by gettingultoole series in a row, do all of you fully expect them to flip a switch next Saturday night in Death Valley and start clicking on all cylinders? How any of you can say or think we will look finely tuned next week, if Dan continues grinding our offensive clutch, is absurd to even begin to comprehend. If Dan keeps holding back the reigns of our #1 offense obtaining timing and rhythm, we will be playing catchup next week becauss we won't get on track for a while, if it we even do get on track. We need at least 4 consecutive drives this week with good execution from our 1's, if we are to have a shot at knocking off LSU. This is sports, not a light switch, and you can't just turn something on if you haven't done it yet.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 01:20 PM
The "stomping your feet" wasn't directed at you, 57. You know I think you're the man, bro. There has been several threads like this lately so I was responding to all, not you specifically. No hard feelings.

LC Dawg
09-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I try to stay out of these type discussions because there are a lot of good football minds on here and I'm just a fan. I would like to ask everyone one thing. If we beat LSU at Death Valley will everyone promise to not discuss this again for the rest of the year?

PMDawg
09-10-2014, 01:30 PM

If this is true, there is a good chance we lose Saturday. Rail away, and I hope I'm wrong, but USA is not the cupcake some of you seem to think they are and this is THE biggest game in the history of their program.

HancockCountyDog
09-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Can we all just agree that if Damien Williams gets one snap in the LSU game and Dak isn't hurt, and we lose the game, that we have a major problem in the coaching department?

The rest of this is just something to talk about until Saturday.

Until CDM plays Damien in a game, and we lose, I think Im just going to be ok with it. I would prefer it be in the 4th quarter, but Im sure CDM has his reasons.

At the end of the day though, any game that Damien gets a snap, and Dak isn't hurt, and we lose a relatively close game - Heads should ****ing roll. I think we all agree with that. Right?

tcdog70
09-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Bottom line is this. Cadaver hit the nail on the head. I could give 0 shits if our entire team gets meaningful reps. But I completely disagree with jeopardizing timing and rhythm the way Dan is doing it. Let each team get a few consecutive series, before Dans hockey line change approach. Let them get some type of cohesiveness before you pull them. Dak and Damien both looked shaky after they went back in. At least Dak's legs allowed his drives to continue and he eventually found his rhythm again, but the way we are doing it does nothing positive except get people reps. It doesn't create a well oiled machine.

I'll say it again, if Dan does not allow starting units to create some Ruth and crossovers this week by gettingultoole series in a row, do all of you fully expect them to flip a switch next Saturday night in Death Valley and start clicking on all cylinders? How any of you can say or think we will look finely tuned next week, if Dan continues grinding our offensive clutch, is absurd to even begin to comprehend. If Dan keeps holding back the reigns of our #1 offense obtaining timing and rhythm, we will be playing catchup next week becauss we won't get on track for a while, if it we even do get on track. We need at least 4 consecutive drives this week with good execution from our 1's, if we are to have a shot at knocking off LSU. This is sports, not a light switch, and you can't just turn something on if you haven't done it yet.

Agree with this. No problem with the Subs, but can we not let Dak have a couple series in a row before. DW comes in. My main bitch is that Dan still does some stupid shit play calling at the worst times. That fourth and 1 pass was just silly. Hollaway up the middle --Dan please stop that shit. Please Dan use Shump. Dak under Center on the Goal line with everyone tight --please throw that Mfer in the trash. If we get the 4th and 1 play by RTDF then we score and they don't and we win big. Instead we don't get it they score and everyone's attitude is different.

Coach 57
09-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Oh, I'll say this: (Btw Cadaver it's all good) when we do play LSU if Mullen puts Williams in to play as he has in recent weeks (more than a few snaps unless Dak is down) I'm going to be pretty frustrated. Games like that in a hostile environment like that is NOT when you develop. You use the first 3 games as we have to get them right Vs inferior talent. When you face LSU every starter & alternate should know what time it is. They should know that prior to the game that the past 3 weeks were to develop, now it's GAME TIME! If we are going to be up there with the big boys it's high time to prove it with our best 11 Vs theirs!

And to the gentleman who made the statement about USA beating us, this is NOT Troy. Stop assuming it's going to be tight as it was when we had NO leadership in the huddle. What do you think Mullen is doing besides the developing of his 2nd tier players he is using these tight moments to instill & find leaders. I can't believe I heard a comment like that but then again instead of an Miss State fan occasionally we'll have Miss Stake fans come out. #thisaintyourpawpawsbulldogs

PMDawg
09-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Oh, I'll say this: (Btw Cadaver it's all good) when we do play LSU if Mullen puts Williams in to play as he has in recent weeks (more than a few snaps unless Dak is down) I'm going to be pretty frustrated. Games like that in a hostile environment like that is NOT when you develop. You use the first 3 games as we have to get them right Vs inferior talent. When you face LSU every starter & alternate should know what time it is. They should know that prior to the game that the past 3 weeks were to develop, now it's GAME TIME! If we are going to be up there with the big boys it's high time to prove it with our best 11 Vs theirs!

And to the gentleman who made the statement about USA beating us, this is NOT Troy. Stop assuming it's going to be tight as it was when we had NO leadership in the huddle. What do you think Mullen is doing besides the developing of his 2nd tier players he is using these tight moments to instill & find leaders. I can't believe I heard a comment like that but then again instead of an Miss State fan occasionally we'll have Miss Stake fans come out. #thisaintyourpawpawsbulldogs

Theyre not as Inferior as you think. There is a reason we are only a 13 point favorite. This is their super bowl. If we have a down game, or a few flat series, it could easily turn into trouble. And you just made the argument against yourself. How will Dak provide leadership in the huddle from the sideline? If we played the starters the whole game, youre right....we would cruise. But dan says no. He is playing with fire this weekend.

Dawgcentral
09-10-2014, 06:17 PM
My thinking is that USA is probably on the same level as UAB. But that's giving credit to the new coaching staff and renewed enthusiasm (buying in) by the UAB players. The team we faced was not the same team that won two games last year and lost to USM in the final game.

Our game with USM was a scrimmage. The second game was a wake up call for the defense, gaining knowledge that we aren't supermen yet with our one on one coverage. It still takes extreme focus back there at all times.

We're building and improving depth for when we need it, and we will need it. Yes we're losing style points, and "shut down" stats that impress the casual followers. If we lose style points while winning games and preparing to win BIG games I'm all for it.

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2014, 09:48 PM
My thinking is that USA is probably on the same level as UAB. But that's giving credit to the new coaching staff and renewed enthusiasm (buying in) by the UAB players. The team we faced was not the same team that won two games last year and lost to USM in the final game.

Our game with USM was a scrimmage. The second game was a wake up call for the defense, gaining knowledge that we aren't supermen yet with our one on one coverage. It still takes extreme focus back there at all times.

We're building and improving depth for when we need it, and we will need it. Yes we're losing style points, and "shut down" stats that impress the casual followers. If we lose style points while winning games and preparing to win BIG games I'm all for it.

Post more.

Barking 13
09-10-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm down in Mobile right now (wearing my M State shirt) and there's a buzz all over about this game.. it's a sellout.. They are playing to prove something..

I'm pretty sure we'll win, but I bet it will be uglier than the UAB game...

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 10:46 PM
I'm down in Mobile right now (wearing my M State shirt) and there's a buzz all over about this game.. it's a sellout.. They are playing to prove something..

I'm pretty sure we'll win, but I bet it will be uglier than the UAB game...

I know, and I hope we're ready. I spoke to a buddy that lives in Fairhope, and he said the same thing. He is not a fan of State or USA, but he said "y'all better come to play, these folks down here are planning on shocking the World Saturday".

cheewgumm
09-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Are we going over 54? I'm thinking of taking that.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Are we going over 54? I'm thinking of taking that.

I don't know. Word is, USA has a decent defense. I'm starting to expect a lower scoring game. If we don't score on as many of the 8 possessions our 1st string gets, plus the usual 3 to 5 three and outs by 1B, plus the fact that we can't make a FG or an extra point....and we could be looking at a 25-30 point day offensively.

cheewgumm
09-10-2014, 11:21 PM
I think we are gonna do 42... Will they get 14? I'm thinking something like 42-17

Coach 57
09-11-2014, 06:14 AM
It's no secret Dak is a high energy player. He plays QB like he's a LB. Sometimes on pure emotion (very much like the other 15 that Mullen coached). It's difficult to play the position well when you are "keyed up" like that because you get so excited you are having trouble recognizing what defense they are in. They could be showing a cover 0 bit then dropping back in coverage. Sometimes the best thing to do is pull the kid out & show him from the sideline. Even in the NFL the rate of disguising coverages is almost an art form to fool the QB.

Reason2succeed
09-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Win the LSU game and a few more big games and no one will question Mullen. But until then people will give him grief. Consider this: Croom had a better record against Alabama and Auburn than Mullen.

SignalToNoise
09-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Win the LSU game and a few more big games and no one will question Mullen. But until then people will give him grief. Consider this: Croom had a better record against Alabama and Auburn than Mullen.

If all other things were equal, this might mean something. Considering those programs are now much better than they were 7 years ago, this not a good indication of what Dan has accomplished.

Coach34
09-11-2014, 08:58 AM
If all other things were equal, this might mean something. Considering those programs are now much better than they were 7 years ago, this not a good indication of what Dan has accomplished.

exactly- Croom's beat two Alabama teams that finished 6-6.