PDA

View Full Version : 1A and 1B talk needs to stop

Alldawg
09-09-2014, 07:50 PM
There is no such thing as a 1B team. You are either a starter or a backup. Several posters are constantly defending the outcome of the UAB game stating that the 1B defense played 8 or 9 series. What does that tell you? The 1B players are truly backup players that are not ready for SEC play. We will see in two weeks if the starters (1A) players are ready when they line up against the Tigers.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 07:56 PM
There is no such thing as a 1B team. You are either a starter or a backup. Several posters are constantly defending the outcome of the UAB game stating that the 1B defense played 8 or 9 series. What does that tell you? The 1B players are truly backup players that are not ready for SEC play. We will see in two weeks if the starters (1A) players are ready when they line up against the Tigers.

How was life under a rock?

We've kinda already covered this.

Coach34
09-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Actually- there is little doubt we have a 1B DL. Now, there is some drop between the back 7's

starkvegasdawg
09-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Actually- there is little doubt we have a 1B DL. Now, there is some drop between the back 7's
If he would play the best four at once then it would hold. Him having Chris Jones as a non-starter is asinine. Now, that being said, even if he started our best four the second group in would be good enough to start for a lot of teams.

Alldawg
09-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know exactly why CJ is not starting?

engie
09-09-2014, 08:16 PM
By the end of the year, we'll have a true 1B group that is basically as good as the A group. Problem with the "2's" right now is experience. Coman, Cleveland, and Harris are playing the first meaningful ball of their careers. Even Redmond to an extent. His mistake was one of inexperience and trying to do too much.

Only one of those bombs was on a "1B" btw(Redmond). One was on a "1"(Calhoun) -- One was on a "3"(Irvin-Sills).

I don't see the problem with our rotations on the defensive side outside of our failure to get Jones and Smith on the field together. We have always done this under this regime provided that we had a decent two. Did you forget when everyone was freaking out about our CB situation last year because Banks and Slay left without ever stopping to realize that Love/Calhoun actually played about 30% of the overall snaps at corner in 2012?

cheewgumm
09-09-2014, 08:20 PM
The lack of C Jones and P Smith playing together frustrates me
Beyond my limited ability to communicate

NorCalDawg
09-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Does anyone know exactly why CJ is not starting?

He is a starter - for 1B.

cheewgumm
09-09-2014, 08:26 PM
So is our 3rd string CB... 1C

cheewgumm
09-09-2014, 08:29 PM
In all honesty I don't really care and am glad we are playing a lot of people. My only complaint is C Jones , P Smith lack of together
Time. Their relationship needs time to grow for Gods sake!!!!

I'm just assuming it will be rectified in a week and a half.

Leroy Jenkins
09-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Perhaps we are saving that for LSU. It could simply be the coaches dont see a need to put this on film yet. Who knows how many snaps they play together in practice. Time will tell.

missouridawg
09-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Guys lets not forget that this also helps in recruiting depth when you have a sales pitch to guys about playing time.

Liverpooldawg
09-09-2014, 08:43 PM
My take on the mix on the Dline is they know they are going to have to play two lines to be successful. They are deliberately not putting all the best players on one unit. It makes sense if you think about it. I think at times you may see them together when something is really on the line. We haven't been in that situation yet.

fishwater99
09-09-2014, 11:27 PM

They need game reps together before the LSU game, unless Dan is dead set on this 1B BS and is punishing CJ for being a sophomore.

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2014, 11:54 PM
My take on the mix on the Dline is they know they are going to have to play two lines to be successful. They are deliberately not putting all the best players on one unit. It makes sense if you think about it. I think at times you may see them together when something is really on the line. We haven't been in that situation yet.

Exactly. We're going to rotate 2 full DLs all season, just like JLD did in '99. Why not put one of your 3 best players on the "second team" DL? It makes that unit stronger without significantly weakening the "first team" DL. And I'd argue AJ Jefferson has been our 2nd most disruptive DL so far this season. He's been extremely impressive. Most of you are wayyyy overreacting to the substitutions. It's going to work itself out and we'll be a better team for it in games that matter.

Homedawg
09-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Exactly. We're going to rotate 2 full DLs all season, just like JLD did in '99. Why not put one of your 3 best players on the "second team" DL? It makes that unit stronger without significantly weakening the "first team" DL. And I'd argue AJ Jefferson has been our 2nd most disruptive DL so far this season. He's been extremely impressive. Most of you are wayyyy overreacting to the substitutions. It's going to work itself out and we'll be a better team for it in games that matter.
Finally a voice w reason concerning this. Spot on.

starkvegasdawg
09-10-2014, 08:09 AM

You may well be right and obviously nobody here is in the coaches meetings to know what they are planning and thinking. I just know we have 4 games against top 10 ranked opponents and I won't our best 11 out there all the time unless they are injured or gassed. If he wants to do all of this against the crap teams on our schedule so be it. I just have this sinking feeling he is going to pull some variation of it against LSU next Saturday and I think that a bad decision if he does. We already know we don't have kickers that couldn't hit water out of a boat so that puts us at a HUGE disadvantage already so I would rather us fully utilize our strengths as much as possible and our biggest strength is our defensive line. Me personally, I would love to see a line of Smith, Jones, James, and Jefferson get a crack at it. Nick showed me something the other day pursuing a play all the way across the field and making the tackle. I'd like to see him get some more chances with the other elite lineman we have up front.

fishwater99
09-10-2014, 10:38 AM
You may well be right and obviously nobody here is in the coaches meetings to know what they are planning and thinking. I just know we have 4 games against top 10 ranked opponents and I won't our best 11 out there all the time unless they are injured or gassed. If he wants to do all of this against the crap teams on our schedule so be it. I just have this sinking feeling he is going to pull some variation of it against LSU next Saturday and I think that a bad decision if he does. We already know we don't have kickers that couldn't hit water out of a boat so that puts us at a HUGE disadvantage already so I would rather us fully utilize our strengths as much as possible and our biggest strength is our defensive line. Me personally, I would love to see a line of Smith, Jones, James, and Jefferson get a crack at it. Nick showed me something the other day pursuing a play all the way across the field and making the tackle. I'd like to see him get some more chances with the other elite lineman we have up front.

This..