PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to come around on the "rotation"

Sacrifice
09-09-2014, 07:50 PM
I'll admit, Saturday I was loosing my mind like most people this weekend. Now that I've had a few days to think about it, I'm fine with the rotation.
There's no doubt we're gonna beat the hell out of these first 3 teams, Mullen knows that. If there is any doubt, Mullen leaves Dak in and we drop half a hundred on them, like he did Saturday. Yeah it hurts the national perception of us some but if we Waffle Stomp LSU ass like we should, that'll change all that. So play the hell out of everybody Saturday, grade the hell out of everybody and put your best 11 on the field at Tiger stadium and take care of business.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 07:59 PM
I'll admit, Saturday I was loosing my mind like most people this weekend. Now that I've had a few days to think about it, I'm fine with the rotation.
There's no doubt we're gonna beat the hell out of these first 3 teams, Mullen knows that. If there is any doubt, Mullen leaves Dak in and we drop half a hundred on them, like he did Saturday. Yeah it hurts the national perception of us some but if we Waffle Stomp LSU ass like we should, that'll change all that. So play the hell out of everybody Saturday, grade the hell out of everybody and put your best 11 on the field at Tiger stadium and take care of business.

This would be a great idea if only offense didn't rely on a few things called rhthym, timing, continuity, and identity. These players aren't chess peices or robots. They are very complicated human beings, that tend to operate more consistently when they are comfortable an around people they trust.

Sacrifice
09-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Our offense scored 40 points in 3 quarters.

smootness
09-09-2014, 08:20 PM
I don't understand why people are so upset with our subbing in these early games. Yes, it may result in a closer final score than would have otherwise been the outcome. But playing your starters so you can curb-stomp UAB means nothing in the ultimate outcome of the season. However, having your backups (who certainly are not all ready for SEC play, which is kind of the point of playing them in the early games) get on the field and get playing time can be invaluable in the games that do actually matter and decide your season should they need to be called on.

I feel like some people believe that since we're subbing a lot against USM and UAB, that means we'll probably do the same against LSU, when in reality it more likely means that we're subbing a lot because we feel good about coming out with a win no matter what and it better prepares the entire team to enter into the meat of the schedule.

Yes, there is something to be said for rhythm and continuity, and I would certainly like to see us use our top rotation more consistently in the South Alabama game for that reason. But there is definitely something to be said for building depth. And you do have to build depth, it doesn't just happen. The only way to do it is to allow guys to learn some things in an actual game.

These games are the ones we should want our backups in and playing. It may make us feel better right now to have beaten UAB 70-0, but it wouldn't if a couple of starters go down against Texas A&M and their backups hadn't really played any meaningful snaps up until that point.

TheRef
09-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Just look at last year for the reason why Dan is doing this. Tyler goes down early and Dak has to come in without any pressure game experience and we flounder for weeks. Dan is planning ahead just in case something DOES happen to a regular starter that there isn't a large drop-off in experience.

Alldawg
09-09-2014, 08:30 PM
That's why you let the starters play the first half and the backups play the second half. Each unit gets to build chemistry and and stay in rhythm. Surely you don't think Dan is smarter than every other NCAA coach.

Liverpooldawg
09-09-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't understand why people are so upset with our subbing in these early games. Yes, it may result in a closer final score than would have otherwise been the outcome. But playing your starters so you can curb-stomp UAB means nothing in the ultimate outcome of the season. However, having your backups (who certainly are not all ready for SEC play, which is kind of the point of playing them in the early games) get on the field and get playing time can be invaluable in the games that do actually matter and decide your season should they need to be called on.

I feel like some people believe that since we're subbing a lot against USM and UAB, that means we'll probably do the same against LSU, when in reality it more likely means that we're subbing a lot because we feel good about coming out with a win no matter what and it better prepares the entire team to enter into the meat of the schedule.

Yes, there is something to be said for rhythm and continuity, and I would certainly like to see us use our top rotation more consistently in the South Alabama game for that reason. But there is definitely something to be said for building depth. And you do have to build depth, it doesn't just happen. The only way to do it is to allow guys to learn some things in an actual game.

These games are the ones we should want our backups in and playing. It may make us feel better right now to have beaten UAB 70-0, but it wouldn't if a couple of starters go down against Texas A&M and their backups hadn't really played any meaningful snaps up until that point.

THIS

Dawg61
09-09-2014, 08:32 PM
I'll say this about the subbing. It's making it more likely that the starters can go longer and he healthier for the LSU, Auburn, aTm stretch when we need them most. It is also making the backups more ready for this stretch too. Injuries happen no matter who we're playing see Cox, Market for examples. It's smart to try to limit the injuries to key players the best we are able to without sacrificing the stuff Shotgun is talking about too much. Dak is going to be so fired up for LSU he'll be punching holes in the concrete before the game. Continuity he achieved in the first three games is going to be out the window regardless with his adrenaline working overdrive for 3 hours.

Covercorner2
09-09-2014, 08:33 PM
That's why you let the starters play the first half and the backups play the second half. Each unit gets to build chemistry and and stay in rhythm. Surely you don't think Dan is smarter than every other NCAA coach.

But then the backups aren't playing with any pressure and the other team could be playing THEIR backups at that point in the game. Not every NCAA team is playing the same schedule we are....

Saltydog
09-09-2014, 08:34 PM
full quarters of football if we are to have any chance down on the Bayou. Right now, they don't know what it's like to play four full quarters. They don't know what it's like to play tired and play thru it. Therein is my issue with it.

Political Hack
09-09-2014, 08:34 PM
I guarantee 99% of it was for evals and experience.

We know who we can play man-up and when to bring up the safeties. We know what LBs can cover, who can be trusted to assume their assignments, and who can make the adjustments pre-snap and get the D into the right set. We know what DL rotations will work. We know where our best matchups are... CJ in a 2-3-4-5? Nick in a 1-2-3? PSmith dropping into coverage work? We found a punt returner. We've tried several people at KR.

so on and so forth... We'll be better for it in the end.

Covercorner2
09-09-2014, 08:36 PM
full quarters of football if we are to have any chance down on the Bayou. Right now, they don't know what it's like to play four full quarters. They don't know what it's like to play tired and play thru it. Therein is my issue with it.

Playing 20 extra minutes on a Saturday isn't going to make you that much more in shape... if anything it could make you less fresh

Dawg61
09-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Just look at last year for the reason why Dan is doing this. Tyler goes down early and Dak has to come in without any pressure game experience and we flounder for weeks. Dan is planning ahead just in case something DOES happen to a regular starter that there isn't a large drop-off in experience.

We are 2-0 and have sustained minimal injuries to the starters. (knocks on wood) We have given valuable ,game still in doubt minutes to backups. They are all better for it. Trust the process, trust that Dan knows how to develop players because he's proven he does. All is well.

Homedawg
09-09-2014, 09:28 PM
This would be a great idea if only offense didn't rely on a few things called rhthym, timing, continuity, and identity. These players aren't chess peices or robots. They are very complicated human beings, that tend to operate more consistently when they are comfortable an around people they trust.

The only thing we did Saturday that we won't do in tiger stadium is sub for dak. The rest, wr subs every 3-5 plays and rb subs are going to happen there to. We didn't sub ol in the first half the other day. There is you continuity.

JDog13
09-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Waffle Stomp. Where is that in relation to a curb stomp and a donkey stomp?

Goat Holder
09-09-2014, 10:10 PM

King Jackie and Bill Snyder, two of the most successful coaches ever at have-not-ag schools like ours, co-sign this. We can only hope Mullen emulates them as much as possible. Snyder hated playing hard OOC games, because he wanted to develop his team OOC in those games.

fishwater99
09-09-2014, 11:18 PM

Look out now. Some people on here think he is.

mstatefan91
09-09-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm just saying that Williams has been put in in these "pressure" situations the past two weeks and hasn't produced anything. I hope that's cause he's mainly out there with the 2nd team though...

fishwater99
09-09-2014, 11:21 PM
We also need to have our best DL playing together so they will be ready for LSU.
CJ needs reps with PS.

mstatefan91
09-09-2014, 11:22 PM

Waffle stomp is when you wind up at waffle house without knowing how you got there. At least that's how I took it. lol

MabenMaroon
09-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Our starters played 4 full quarters against Ala, LSU, TAMU, Aub, TSUN, Ark, etc last year, is it not supposed to be one of our strengths that we returned a very high percentage of our 2-deep from last year? So I would surmise that most of the 2-deep know exactly what it takes to give 4 quarters of maximum effort against the likes of LSU, ALA, et al.

MabenMaroon
09-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Waffle stomp is when you wind up at waffle house without knowing how you got there. At least that's how I took it. lol

Maybe he was referring to late nights at the West Point Waffle House.

blacklistedbully
09-10-2014, 11:38 AM

I took it to mean, you stomp somebody so bad that the tread on your shoes leave imprints on their body that make them look like a waffle. Conversely. curb-stomping is a literal thing that involves making your opponent "bite the curb" as you stomp on the back of their head, minimally knocking out their teeth & breaking their jaw, and with the potential to kill if you stomp too hard.

Sacrifice
09-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Antonio Brown provided a great example of Waffle Stomping this weekend on Spencer Lanning.

mk1984
09-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Nice try but you do realize if we don't sub in these games we are winning by a lot more and the starters are pulled. Therefore starters wouldn't know what it's like to play four full quarters, wouldn't know how to play thru being tired either so your point is not valid.