PDA

View Full Version : What must you see against USA, to feel very confident heading into Death Valley?

CadaverDawg
09-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Or is anything going to make you feel confident?

I just want to see our team take a business like approach, and to beat this team the way a top SEC team Should beat USA. I want to see us control the line of scrimmage on both sides, and for our offense to have it's timing down....meaning Dak being on the same page with Wilson, RoJo, MoJo, and especially Jameon.

I also want to see us make a FG and miss zero extra points. And it would be great if that was all done by the same kicker, so we have a guy who knows he is the guy when we go to LSU.

Defensively, I'd like to see our secondary be a little more tight on the intermediate passes. I don't want us giving up anymore bombs, but I honestly think that was something that won't happen much this year. I don't like seeing guys running open on the intermediate stuff though, so we need to tighten that up and not have to depend on drops or misfires.

I'm honestly not expecting anything unrealistic this weekend. Just a solid win, with crisp offense and solid D. No big breakdowns on D or ST..... Win the trenches....and no Damien until we get a comfortable lead.

Do these things, and I will feel as good as possible heading into BR. Another sub 50% passing day for Dak where he and his WR's don't look to be on the same page, and Damien being rotated in and keeping the 1's from working on timing....I'll be concerned. I'm really hoping Dan will be wanting to get in SEC game mode this weekend to prepare though, and I think he will.

Thoughts?

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 11:34 AM
We aren't going to play perfect at USA because no team ever plays a perfect football game. For some, I think that's the only way they would have confidence going into LSU, but that's just not realistic.

With this understanding, here are my keys.

1. We began to find it in the 2nd half against UAB, but I want to see our STARTING offense continue to develop rhythm, timing, and their identity. To do this, we must actually play the starters for an extended period of time.

2. I want to see adjustments on defense with the deep ball. No doubt that USA will attack is there, so we should get plenty of opportunities to see if we've improved.

3. Confidence from the kickers. I don't even care if they miss a FG, I care more about how aggressively they strike the ball. When kickers continually miss right, it means they aren't accelerating their leg through the ball, which basically means they are scared. I want to see then knock the piss out of the ball, and wherever it goes, it goes.

5. No injuries that cause us to have to rethink things going into LSU.

Liverpooldawg
09-09-2014, 11:36 AM
In all honesty there is nothing in that game that would make me feel confident going into Death Valley.

Coach34
09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
No injuries

Okrastar1
09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
I wanna see our 1-A's (O & D)go handle business, then once we get a size-able lead give the "1-b's" their reps. We have to string together a consistent offensive scheme instead of every now and then! Get game speed timing down with wr's ol and RB. Also see that we can handle some man to man coverage from our db's on lesser WR's.

Give the damn reins back to Dak on when to break and run. Looked like UAB he did that a little better than the USM game but I wanna see the QB that makes defenses terrified to drop into coverage without keeping a lb or safety in to spy.

starkvegasdawg
09-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Damian Williams right here the whole game.

http://mrldavis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/1274586971c906Q1.jpg

Dawg496
09-09-2014, 11:44 AM
- Cool, calm and collect approach on the road
- Crisp scoring drive to start the game
- Dak playing 90% of snaps in the first half (unless we go up by 3 TDs)
- A 21 point margin at half
- Defensive front four getting pressure
- Containing their mobile QB
- No busted plays by our secondary
- Convert a FG

I need at least 6 of those to be confident in our ability to stay with LSU late in the game.

MSUDawg4Life
09-09-2014, 11:50 AM
I wanna see our 1-A's (O & D)go handle business, then once we get a size-able lead give the "1-b's" their reps. We have to string together a consistent offensive scheme instead of every now and then! Get game speed timing down with wr's ol and RB. Also see that we can handle some man to man coverage from our db's on lesser WR's.

Give the damn reins back to Dak on when to break and run. Looked like UAB he did that a little better than the USM game but I wanna see the QB that makes defenses terrified to drop into coverage without keeping a lb or safety in to spy.

Our 1As have been executing. We would have scored 49 points in both games if our kickers could kick extra points. Shut out in one game, held UAB to 200 yards less rushing than they had in the previous game. They've been executing.

I just want to see a clean game. Good fundamental blocking, tackling, passing, catching, running and so forth. Minimize mistakes.

And I would like to see the 1B offense and the secondary redeem themselves. Sustain a few drives and score. Lock down the long passes.

If we can do that and stay healthy, I'd be fine.

msstate7
09-09-2014, 11:53 AM
3 straight games with Preston getting a pick 6***

Really though just see the defense play the deep ball better. They will see it sat

maroonmania
09-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Nothing will make me confident. Given that MSU teams seem to crumble mentally when they see purple and gold there is no way I can be confident though I try to remain hopeful.

Okrastar1
09-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Our 1As have been executing. We would have scored 49 points in both games if our kickers could kick extra points. Shut out in one game, held UAB to 200 yards less rushing than they had in the previous game. They've been executing.

I just want to see a clean game. Good fundamental blocking, tackling, passing, catching, running and so forth. Minimize mistakes.

And I would like to see the 1B offense and the secondary redeem themselves. Sustain a few drives and score. Lock down the long passes.

But we switch them out every other series. That has to stop to make me feel more comfortable!

CadaverDawg
09-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Tackling. Good one. We haven't wrapped up very well in the first two games.

MSUDawg4Life
09-09-2014, 12:11 PM
But we switch them out every other series. That has to stop to make me feel more comfortable!

I understand how you feel. I just don't have a problem with it. I understand what Dan is trying to do. He won't do it against LSU, so it's not really a problem.

Dawg496
09-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Tackling is indeed a good one. Let's wrap up, especially near the LOS.

Also continue to see progression with the OL. They made a solid jump from Game 1 to 2 and I hope to see that continue as they get more playing time together.

CJDAWG85
09-09-2014, 12:14 PM
I want to see us establish the run game and pound it down there throats. Stay injury free. Don't try and be too cute. Just execute the plays.

MaxedOutMaroon
09-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Nothing to make me feel confident, but these will help me feel good:
1. Establish Dak early and often. Maybe Damien can get one drive if we are up by 20+ in the first half. After that, regardless if he scores. Put Dak back in there for multiple possessions until up 35+ if we get up that much.
2. Obviously some consistent PATs and a FG from 25+
3. More pressure and sacks from DL.
4. Lock down corner play especially on island routes (streak patterns)
5. Finally, once the OL gets a good push at the line, I want to see a guard or tackle down the field paving the way like Gabe was so accustomed to

Political Hack
09-09-2014, 01:05 PM
there's nothing that can happen positively in that game that can make me feel "very confident" going into a Saturday night at Tiger Stadium against a top rated LSU team.

TrapGame
09-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Nothing about USA will put me at ease about LSU.

fishwater99
09-09-2014, 01:34 PM
No QB rotations in the 1st half.. All DAK...

Jack Lambert
09-09-2014, 01:51 PM
To be honest after 20 years of failure I don't need to see anything going into Death Valley. What ever is going to happen is going to happen.

As far as USA goes I just want to stomp them in the ground.

RougeDawg
09-09-2014, 02:07 PM
I want to see a healthy team get back on the bus after the game, and that will make me feel about as good as I could possibly feel about BR next weekend. That and Dan to put away the science experiment, and get down to business.

justwin
09-09-2014, 02:28 PM
This. using Sobiesk.

I also want to see us make a FG and miss zero extra points. And it would be great if that was all done by the same kicker, so we have a guy who knows he is the guy when we go to LSU.

Thoughts?

Alldawg
09-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Scrap all the 1A and 1B talk.

Goat Holder
09-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Nothing. There is simply nothing that will instill confidence in Mississippi State beating Louisiana State in a football game located in Baton Rouge, LA. This may be the best chance we've had in a while to do it, but that raises the chance from 1% to 10%.

HancockCountyDog
09-09-2014, 03:33 PM
I want to see a healthy team get back on the bus after the game, and that will make me feel about as good as I could possibly feel about BR next weekend. That and Dan to put away the science experiment, and get down to business.

Does anyone know if Cox just had a pull, or if it was a tear?

CadaverDawg
09-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know if Cox just had a pull, or if it was a tear?

Based on Mullen's comments, he didn't act like Cox would be out long....so I'm guessing it wasn't a tear. No telling with Dan though.

cheewgumm
09-09-2014, 04:02 PM
62-0

Tough Dawg
09-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Solid defensive effort. 10 pts or less and I'd be thrilled.

No injuries of course. Not worried about the offenses production.

Dawgcentral
09-09-2014, 07:26 PM
100% on placekicking

Pressure and 4-6 sacks from the front 4.

USB held to 17 at most, and a margin of victory of 21.