PDA

View Full Version : The Bears latest 5 star bust

Radddawg
09-09-2014, 10:01 AM
The Richmond kid from Memphis University School committed to TSUN today. He has steadily fallen in the 247 rankings the last few months. Apparently he's rated a 5 star by the Rivals network where the Bears have lots of paying subscribers. Coincidence ?

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 10:06 AM
The Richmond kid from Memphis University School committed to TSUN today. He has steadily fallen in the 247 rankings the last few months. Apparently he's rated a 5 star by the Rivals network where the Bears have lots of paying subscribers. Coincidence ?

Interesting that they get this commitment shortly after Freeze announces that they need better players on the OL. I haven't heard much about this guy. I had no clue that MUS had a 5 star

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Interesting that they get this commitment shortly after Freeze announces that they need better players on the OL. I haven't heard much about this guy. I had no clue that MUS had a 5 star

MUS plays South Panola this Friday. I'm expecting The U to roll.

msstate7
09-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Bama and auburn offers... Seems like a good prospect

BeardoMSU
09-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Yup. He's got a ton of offers.

jimbo352
09-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Richmond will be a good player, but he's not nearly as talented as a guy like Fluker coming out of high school, and Fluker eventually red shirted I believe...

He likes Ole Miss because they're so thin and he wouldn't have to redshirt. Even though a red shirt would probably do him good. He's a bit raw IMO.

Bully Dee Williams
09-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Meh...who cares what OM does in recruiting. Those kids still won't produce on the field.

Remember, they lead the league in being tackled for losses and they already have a plethora of "4 and 5 stars" on their line.

Bonus: Treadwell had 37 yds against Vandy, and Freeze kept the starters in the game for a long time.

msstate7
09-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Yup. He's got a ton of offers.

Including one from us. Not sure what the knock on him or OM is for getting a commitment from him

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 10:24 AM
It blows my mind that recruits would want to play for a poor offensive line coach like Luke. Another funny thing is that the kid said one of the reasons he chose OM is because he wanted to be like Tunsil. Am I unaware of anything OM has done to develop Tunsil, other than him just being a 5 star recruit?

I think this kid may have just been an OM fan growing up.

Jacksondevildog
09-09-2014, 10:26 AM
The only thing that is concerning about this is that they will get Richmond and Patterson and we are struggling to sign a Mississippi Juco from the delta that goes to college at EMCC in our back yard. They are getting better offensive line recruits than we are. At least better projectable talent.

msstate7
09-09-2014, 10:28 AM
It blows my mind that recruits would want to play for a poor offensive line coach like Luke. Another funny thing is that the kid said one of the reasons he chose OM is because he wanted to be like Tunsil. Am I unaware of anything OM has done to develop Tunsil, other than him just being a 5 star recruit?

Not sure id say luke is a bad coach. I do wonder why o'linemen would wanna play in a finesse system though. If I was a big time o'lineman I'd wanna do the pushing instead of getting pushed. I'd wanna run the ball

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 10:29 AM
The only thing that is concerning about this is that they will get Richmond and Patterson and we are struggling to sign a Mississippi Juco from the delta that goes to college at EMCC in our back yard. They are getting better offensive line recruits than we are. At least better projectable talent.

I agree with this, but until they have a better offensive line than us, it's irrelevant. Biggest thing is, I wonder what Hevesy could do with good talent on the line?

Radddawg
09-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Apparently he said he will take all of his visits anyway so it certainly isn't over yet. Tennessee, Ohio State , Bama and TSUN are his top choices. 1 school out of that group is not like the others.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Not sure id say luke is a bad coach. I do wonder why o'linemen would wanna play in a finesse system though. If I was a big time o'lineman I'd wanna do the pushing instead of getting pushed. I'd wanna run the ball

Well, their o line has sucked since he got there and they've had pretty good talent. How else do you explain their poor o line?

BeardoMSU
09-09-2014, 10:30 AM

It also has a lot to do with the amount of turmoil on their OL. They can pitch guys like this immediate playing time, if not starting roles.

msstate7
09-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Apparently he said he will take all of his visits anyway so it certainly isn't over yet. Tennessee, Ohio State , Bama and TSUN are his top choices. 1 school out of that group is not like the others.

OM is in his back yard though. I can see wanting to stay close to home

HancockCountyDog
Including one from us. Not sure what the knock on him or OM is for getting a commitment from him

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we landed a consensus top 100 player that happens to play on the OL.

In fact, I think that is the only thing this recruiting class is missing, a bell cow on the OL. Now, I think Champion may be the guy, but with all OL that play in JPS, their coaching and technique will need a ton of work.

msstate7
Well, their o line has sucked since he got there and they've had pretty good talent. How else do you explain their poor o line?

Freshmen playing in the sec

BeardoMSU
09-09-2014, 10:32 AM
I agree with this, but until they have a better offensive line than us, it's irrelevant. Biggest thing is, I wonder what Hevesy could do with good talent on the line?

This^^^^^

For all the people already calling this guy a bust need to get real. We'd jump at any highly rated OL recruit.

Jacksondevildog
09-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Plus, he will never have to worry about paying for Taco Bell or anything else for the next four years.
OM is in his back yard though. I can see wanting to stay close to home

CadaverDawg
09-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Shhh. Hevesy is the best developer in the country. Nothing to see here. We would rather have a 2 star from MRA that has smarts.**

You are exactly right, JDD. It is taking our fans entirely too long to see how piss poor our o line recruiting is. Too many people buying into Coach's BS. I'm all for toeing the company line, and trying to stay positive, but I'm beyond skeptical about our OLine recruiting. And if you want to be even more concerned, go back and watch the first half of the UAB game, and Only focus on Beckwith and Senior. I like both of those guys, and I think Senior can develop still....but if we are having to rely heavily on those two....Consider me nervous.

dawgindothan
09-09-2014, 10:37 AM
they already have a plethora of "4 and 5 stars" on their line.

Not sure about their entire OL roster, but aside from Tunsil, their starting OL is pretty lightly recruited. Aaron Morris had a few offers, but he is also coming off an ACL tear and his weight ballooned. Their C and RG Bell from Callaway barely had any offers. Their swing guy was lightly recruited too I think. Their RT may have had some offers coming out of JUCO, but he signed with a MAC school out of high school if I remember right before transferring to a JUCO. If they have a plethora of 4 and 5 star OL, they're not playing much.

NashDawgMan
09-09-2014, 10:38 AM
This is a heart breaker for UT--they really wanted this kid. MUS kids are very coachable and that gives them a bump in the rankings.

hailmari
09-09-2014, 10:42 AM
It won't be over for a while. If TN has a good year, it'll get interesting.

Coach34
09-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Not sure about their entire OL roster, but aside from Tunsil, their starting OL is pretty lightly recruited. Aaron Morris had a few offers, but he is also coming off an ACL tear and his weight ballooned. Their C and RG Bell from Callaway barely had any offers. Their swing guy was lightly recruited too I think. Their RT may have had some offers coming out of JUCO, but he signed with a MAC school out of high school if I remember right before transferring to a JUCO. If they have a plethora of 4 and 5 star OL, they're not playing much.

Thank you. Dont let facts get in the way of a good panic

Bully Dee Williams
09-09-2014, 10:45 AM

They have at least 6 OL that I can think of off the top of my head rated 4 stars or higher in at least 1 recruiting service (Tunsil, Aaron Morris, Cooper, Taylor, Christian Morris, and the kid they picked up from Tuscaloosa last year or the year before). They have rated guys on the line that haven't done crap. It looks like Aaron Morris has actually gotten worse, though that's probably injury related.

Oh and I am not panicked at all because they have yet to do anything with that talent. OL in high school and OL in the SEC are two different animals.

RougeDawg
09-09-2014, 10:52 AM

He just tweeted that Ohio State is his #1 and will always be, but he is committing to OM. The rest of you can fill in the blank here on what has occurred. I sure hope he follows Vagunsils footsteps.

Bully Dee Williams
09-09-2014, 10:55 AM
He just tweeted that Ohio State is his #1 and will always be, but he is committing to OM. The rest of you can fill in the blank here on what has occurred. I sure hope he follows Vagunsils footsteps.

Gotta respect a kid he lays it all on the line to follow his wallet....I mean heart....follow his heart.

Coach34
09-09-2014, 10:59 AM
He just tweeted that Ohio State is his #1 and will always be, but he is committing to OM.

I mean damn- how dirty would you feel if we got commit from a guy and then he tweets out about how USC will always be his #1??? That's the kind of guys they are getting to represent them on the field

Jack Lambert
09-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Is he 2015 or 2016?

662dawg
09-09-2014, 11:09 AM

He must have deleted it.

msstate7
09-09-2014, 11:19 AM
He must have deleted it.

Violation of contract

RougeDawg
09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
I mean damn- how dirty would you feel if we got commit from a guy and then he tweets out about how USC will always be his #1??? That's the kind of guys they are getting to represent them on the field

And these are the kind of guys who shove their position coaches on the sidelines and tell the head coach when they want to practice or not.

GulfCoastDawg
09-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Still Up.. https://twitter.com/TremendousUM/status/509354743681265664

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 11:27 AM

If true, then the Rebs still don't get it. Kid won't amount to much unless he's at the school he really wanted to go to. Plus, he now owns the coaching staff which makes coaching him a nightmare.

AlSwearengen
09-09-2014, 11:37 AM

This is their problem. The highly rated kids that they get don't want to be there. They have to hope the kids will perform in hopes of making the nfl.

There is a reason for merry flipmas and all of that bullshit. The kids committed to the school that they liked in the beginning, but when olemiss made it a business decision, well, we saw what happens.

RougeDawg
09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
If true, then the Rebs still don't get it. Kid won't amount to much unless he's at the school he really wanted to go to. Plus, he now owns the coaching staff which makes coaching him a nightmare.

No they get it, regarding their plans. Win February and the press conference and ride the wave into an unwarranted #15 ranking without actually doing anything on the field. Then by chance catch one of the top 4 in their worst game of the decade like LSU last year and further fuel the false perception. These are all things they live for. Hype no matter what means it takes to acquire it. Since they can't actually sustain real results hype, they choose different avenues to stay in the headlines.

Alldawg
09-09-2014, 11:45 AM
That is a big "if" though. TN is going to suck

Bubb Rubb
09-09-2014, 11:49 AM

They just don't develop their line like they should. That is the one place that star power doesn't usually translate. Tunsil is an exception, but Tunsil is also very frequently injured. Most guys have to be in the system a year at least before they're ready to contribute. We do a really poor job at recruiting high end talent on the OL, but we do a tremendous job at developing the talent that we have. Their track record is exactly the opposite of that. Part of that is philosophical, and part of it is squarely on Luke's shoulders.

Alldawg
09-09-2014, 11:49 AM
This is why some say Luke can't coach but I am not sold yet. Three of the five you listed are first year players. They have not had time in the system to gel yet. By the end of the year, we should know a lot more about what kind of coach that man is.

They have at least 6 OL that I can think of off the top of my head rated 4 stars or higher in at least 1 recruiting service (Tunsil, Aaron Morris, Cooper, Taylor, Christian Morris, and the kid they picked up from Tuscaloosa last year or the year before). They have rated guys on the line that haven't done crap. It looks like Aaron Morris has actually gotten worse, though that's probably injury related.

Oh and I am not panicked at all because they have yet to do anything with that talent. OL in high school and OL in the SEC are two different animals.

Bully Dee Williams
09-09-2014, 12:07 PM
This is why some say Luke can't coach but I am not sold yet. Three of the five you listed are first year players. They have not had time in the system to gel yet. By the end of the year, we should know a lot more about what kind of coach that man is.

It's not the 4 and 5 stars that make me think that they can't develop OL talent. It's the kids that have been in their program for a few years and still look like a mess. Guys like Still, Bell, etc.

Really. I honestly don't know why we are having this discussion. As long as we take care of our business on the field, I don't care what the heck Freeze and Co. do.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 12:19 PM
No they get it, regarding their plans. Win February and the press conference and ride the wave into an unwarranted #15 ranking without actually doing anything on the field. Then by chance catch one of the top 4 in their worst game of the decade like LSU last year and further fuel the false perception. These are all things they live for. Hype no matter what means it takes to acquire it. Since they can't actually sustain real results hype, they choose different avenues to stay in the headlines.

Strong post. Your right, they do get it.

1bigdawg
09-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Also notice that the second tweet in response was from a "Darryl Williams" which is the name of a top five center from Alabama that we are both recruiting. His tweet was "ole mi$$". If this is the same Darryl Williams, it appears that recruits are catching on to their strategy.

RougeDawg
09-09-2014, 12:25 PM
It's not the 4 and 5 stars that make me think that they can't develop OL talent. It's the kids that have been in their program for a few years and still look like a mess. Guys like Still, Bell, etc.

Really. I honestly don't know why we are having this discussion. As long as we take care of our business on the field, I don't care what the heck Freeze and Co. do.

Here's why it matters. We will finish 9-3 regular season while beating them (who knows about bowl W). They'll finish 9-4, behind us again in west, with an easy bowl win and be ranked top 10 preaseason based on all these great recruiting classes. We will be 22-25 preaseason fighting another uphill battle, because we have little perceived talent. Even though reality says that most of those classes aren't top 20 classes now after attrition and strength training. The media only sees what those classes were in February. Their perception keeps their momentum on the recruiting trail, even when on field results are sub par.

dawgindothan
09-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Taylor is a true frosh and is badly out of shape based on pics of him during fall camp. Christian Morris is a true frosh, has been out of football for over a year, and wasn't even eligible to play until late last week. They don't have anyone from Ttown on their roster per their official site. As I said in my original post, Cooper had some offers out of JUCO but signed with Bowling Green out of high school before transferring to a JUCO. He's also had like 5 false starts in 2 games. Aaron Morris may have been a 4 star, but I don't believe he had a SEC offer outside of us and TSUN.

My point is they're not talented on the OL, at least not experienced talent. Tunsil, Taylor, and Christian Morris are the only 3 who had a nice offer list coming out of high school, and 2 of the 3 are true frosh.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Here's why it matters. We will finish 9-3 regular season while beating them (who knows about bowl W). They'll finish 9-4, behind us again in west, with an easy bowl win and be ranked top 10 preaseason based on all these great recruiting classes. We will be 22-25 preaseason fighting another uphill battle, because we have little perceived talent. Even though reality says that most of those classes aren't top 20 classes now after attrition and strength training. The media only sees what those classes were in February. Their perception keeps their momentum on the recruiting trail, even when on field results are sub par.

Goodness, when we finish ahead of them in the West, AGAIN, will the media really rank them ahead of us again? We have finished ahead of them in the West for the last 4 or 5 years and I believe most every time Ole Miss has been picked ahead of us in the preseason. Surely the media won't make that mistake for the 6th straight time or so.

The definition of insanity is: doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Todd4State
09-09-2014, 01:32 PM

I don't disagree, but I could see them going 6-6 and if that happens at some point the media is going to say "hey, they have all these studs and are barely better than Kentucky."

1bigdawg
09-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Goodness, when we finish ahead of them in the West, AGAIN, will the media really rank them ahead of us again? We have finished ahead of them in the West for the last 4 or 5 years and I believe most every time Ole Miss has been picked ahead of us in the preseason. Surely the media won't make that mistake for the 6th straight time or so.

The definition of insanity is: doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

This really falls on our Sports Information Department.

UMCDawg16
09-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Not commitable offers.

Coach34
09-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Click some ads BearSharks

dawgclub99
09-10-2014, 07:34 AM
I find it kind of funny that some of you are bashing this kid. If he wanted to come to MSU, most of you would be happy. Instead you bash the kid. If you want to go after OM, thats fine. I hate the racists bastards, but grown men and women bashing a high schooler is just sad.

Coach34
09-10-2014, 07:49 AM
I find it kind of funny that some of you are bashing this kid. If he wanted to come to MSU, most of you would be happy. Instead you bash the kid. If you want to go after OM, thats fine. I hate the racists bastards, but grown men and women bashing a high schooler is just sad.

You realize this is a message board that talks about sports right? Nobody made fun of his hair or the clothes he wore to school.

dawgclub99
09-10-2014, 07:51 AM

You do not consider calling him a bust just as bad?

Coach34
09-10-2014, 08:18 AM
You do not consider calling him a bust just as bad?

Nope. Not at all.

TrapGame
09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Last night on TV he said he wanted to go to ole miss and learn from Tunsil.

I woke my wife up laughing so hard.