MSU97
09-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Saw where it looks like SMU is going to go after Hudspeth

msstate7
09-09-2014, 07:10 AM
That'd be an excellent hire for them

Rick Danko
09-09-2014, 07:26 AM
He would be unwise to make that swap. Lateral move at this point. He is trying to build up something in LA and doing pretty good at it. Stay the course and wait for the big school to come calling. JMHO

MetEdDawg
09-09-2014, 07:35 AM
He would be unwise to make that swap. Lateral move at this point. He is trying to build up something in LA and doing pretty good at it. Stay the course and wait for the big school to come calling. JMHO

Agreed. That also gets him out of his recruiting comfortability. If you are going to make a lateral to maybe slightly better move, you have to weigh a bunch of factors including recruiting and rebuilding. He might do well at SMU, but to me the overall process of getting things exactly how he wants them would take entirely too long for a move from ULL to SMU. Just not really worth the time for that kind of move.

msstate7
09-09-2014, 07:35 AM

I sorta agree, but smu will make him a very rich man. They've got money to become a nice program with the right coach IMO

If he turns 2 programs around, he's all of the sudden a candidate for a big program for real

MSU97
09-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Did he not just sign a contract extension with ull? If so any idea on the buy out amount that SMU would have to put up?

Political Hack
09-09-2014, 07:46 AM
unless he's only worried about money now and not career progression, he'll stay put.

TheRef
09-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Also add in that there is pretty much ZERO fan support with SMU right now.

Jack Lambert
09-09-2014, 08:34 AM

I agree to a certain point. If it is a lot more money then he should go plus if he is that good of a coach it doesn't matter where he builds a program.

CousinEddie
09-09-2014, 09:59 AM

Career wise, its a lateral move at best, and recruiting mid level talent is way....WAY easier in Louisiana because there is only one big school.

In Texas, he would have to compete with a dozen schools for players.

BUT that being said, SMU has Deeeeeep pockets. And life changing money is often times difficult to turn down.

DudyDawg
09-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Career wise, its a lateral move at best, and recruiting mid level talent is way....WAY easier in Louisiana because there is only one big school.

In Texas, he would have to compete with a dozen schools for players.

BUT that being said, SMU has Deeeeeep pockets. And life changing money is often times difficult to turn down.

Agree 100%. SMU NOW may be lateral, but they have money and if he builds a program with that kind of money up its a great move. But, it's risky

Chinchilla
09-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Is everyone still sure Hudspeth is that great?

They showed immediate improvement when he showed up, but they haven't shown any since.

Then they got dominated by LA Tech last week and were dominated by USA in the regular season finale last year. They could very well be declining in year 4, after a 3 year plateau.

Y'all are acting like he can do better than SMU. SMU could very well do better than him.

Dawgfan77
09-09-2014, 11:48 AM
The last time SMU hired a native Mississippian they ended up with the death penalty.
Also If thing come unravelled in Columbia HUD would be a rich man in the sec with an Augusta membership

1bigdawg
09-09-2014, 12:32 PM
The last time SMU hired a native Mississippian they ended up with the death penalty.
Also If thing come unravelled in Columbia HUD would be a rich man in the sec with an Augusta membership

If USCe comes unraveled they will give Spurrier a couple of years to right the ship if he wants it and his history suggests he is not going to want to go out a loser.

Also, the last two coaches they have hired have been "prestige" names and their ego demands that. I would look for Larry Coker to be on top of their list.

Goat Holder
09-09-2014, 12:36 PM
If USCe comes unraveled they will give Spurrier a couple of years to right the ship if he wants it and his history suggests he is not going to want to go out a loser.

I agree here, for better or worse. But then.....

Also, the last two coaches they have hired have been "prestige" names and their ego demands that. ......

South Carolina? What grounds do they have to own a big ego? They were just desperate to win and wanted proven winners.

.......I would look for Larry Coker to be on top of their list.

Wut??

Dawgfan77
09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I don't think SS will want to right the ship. He is more if a hell I did the best I could and resign.

1bigdawg
09-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I agree here, for better or worse. But then.....

South Carolina? What grounds do they have to own a big ego? They were just desperate to win and wanted proven winners.

One does not have to have a right to have a big ego: See TSUN.

Wut??

Both of their previous two hires have won national championships (Holtz and Spurrier) and so has Coker. If he continues to do well, he could easily be at the top of thier list.

Goat Holder
09-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Both of their previous two hires have won national championships (Holtz and Spurrier) and so has Coker. If he continues to do well, he could easily be at the top of thier list.

Holtz, Spurrier, Coker

One of those do not belong

msstate7
09-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Holtz, Spurrier, Coker

One of those do not belong

Yeah Coker won with the team butch Davis bought. Coker's team may have been better than any spurrier or holtz ever fielded though

Todd4State
09-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Saw where it looks like SMU is going to go after Hudspeth

They're already talking about a coaching change after week 2?

Actually, if they were Vandy, I could understand.

But if I was Hud, I'd probably take it. Yeah, it's a lateral move but it pays better.

TheRef
09-09-2014, 02:24 PM
They're already talking about a coaching change after week 2?

Actually, if they were Vandy, I could understand.

But if I was Hud, I'd probably take it. Yeah, it's a lateral move but it pays better.

SMU's coach resigned...that's why they're looking for coaches.

deltadawg99
09-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Money would the only advantage to SMU over ULL. Texas has a huge talent pool, but SMU is very hard to get into so they couldn't just take anybody like they can at ULL.

If the SMU boosters would support the football program, than they could turn it around but they haven't done that since the death penalty days.

Great education and it's in Dallas, but that's about as far as the sales pitch goes at SMU.

1bigdawg
09-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Coker won with Butch Davis' group and then the heavy probation and scrutiny took its toll on Miami. I am really impressed with what he has done at UTSA. He started the program in 2011.

2011 4 - 6 (Independent)
2012 8 - 4 (WAC)
2013 7 - 5 (C-USA, ties for second in West)
2014 Beat Houston 27 - 7
Lost to Arizona 26 - 23

He will get someone's attention if he keeps up this trajectory.

Goat Holder
09-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Texas has a huge talent pool

Louisiana has the best talent pool per capita in the country IMO