PDA

View Full Version : Well, it will never be like it used to be.

scottycameron
09-08-2014, 09:28 PM
that's how it goes. eternal. No Jack anymore, heck, no radio anymore it's all on tv now. I thought for a minute that if you weren't around a tv it would still be radio, but I realized that was wrong. Kids don't have radios, they have phones that will watch TV games. Jack is gone, radio is gone. I don't think kids in school will realize the difference in TV douchebag talking heads and radio announcers. One used video to lay out the game, one used their words to paint a picture in your head of the game. One of those takes a ton of talent to do. Probably a lost art.

spiritual_machine2005
09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Jack could describe the formations with ease and then bring the play to life like no other.

TXDawg
09-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Jack could describe the formations with ease and then bring the play to life like no other.

My brother had to listen to the UAB game on the radio last weekend. His comment was "It sounded like Jim Ellis had never seen a football game in his life."

Obviously, Jim has watched football, but that's the difference between old-school radio guys and the new breed.

I hate that my son will grow up never having sat and listened to Jack call a game.

FlabLoser
09-08-2014, 11:41 PM
I heard a clip of Jim Ellis' call of our 1st TD against UAB. When the play started, he was still rambling about the kickoff return and where we had a 1st down. Hell it a couple plays later and all the sudden its like "AND ITS CAUGHT".

Jim Ellis is beyond awful for play-by-play. He is stuck in color more rambling about the previous play or play before that while the current play is going on. With Ellis, you never know when the ball is snapped because he is still talking about something in the past. Matt Wyatt barely has a chance to do his job as the color guy.

Ellis should be let go, plain & simple. But it won't happen because he's too nice a guy and has been Jack's sidekick for too long.

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2014, 12:52 AM
I heard a clip of Jim Ellis' call of our 1st TD against UAB. When the play started, he was still rambling about the kickoff return and where we had a 1st down. Hell it a couple plays later and all the sudden its like "AND ITS CAUGHT".

Jim Ellis is beyond awful for play-by-play. He is stuck in color more rambling about the previous play or play before that while the current play is going on. With Ellis, you never know when the ball is snapped because he is still talking about something in the past. Matt Wyatt barely has a chance to do his job as the color guy.

Ellis should be let go, plain & simple. But it won't happen because he's too nice a guy and has been Jack's sidekick for too long.

We have GOT to find a way to gracefully retire Jim from football play-by-play and John Corerro altogether. It's like a bad HS broadcast with the two of them. Especially Corerro. How the hell can someone have been around MSU so long and have ZERO ability to get any inside info or updates? Not to mention all the useless "Yeah, there's definitely a flag on the play. Back to you."

As for Jim, he's just old and can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore. And the age is affecting his mental sharpness. Two weeks in a row I've heard him call Dak "Zak." It's going to be as bad as "Randy" Stewart. The difference is everyone loved Jack, so we'd all laugh and let it go when he did that kind of stuff. But with Jim, no one is going to be so forgiving, at least in football. And don't even get me started on how he rambles on after the play instead of going to commercial break, causing radio to come back late. And it happens 2-3 times EVERY game. Missing game action because Jim can't shut up and send it to the break is inexcusable and embarrassing.

I'll never understand why we at MSU let our long time icons keep going when they start to decline instead of protecting them. We've got some hard changes to make in the near future, and a lot of the blue hairs won't like them. But it has to happen, because it's "best for business." Just hope Stricklin has the stones to do it. What really sucks is that we've let Will Kollmeyer get away and go to TSUN, although I'm sure he'd take the job if we offered it. But my guess is that we'll stick to our GOB system and just plug in Bart for play-by-play. Seems like we've been grooming him as the heir apparent.

msstate7
09-09-2014, 07:17 AM
We have GOT to find a way to gracefully retire Jim from football play-by-play and John Corerro altogether. It's like a bad HS broadcast with the two of them. Especially Corerro. How the hell can someone have been around MSU so long and have ZERO ability to get any inside info or updates? Not to mention all the useless "Yeah, there's definitely a flag on the play. Back to you."

As for Jim, he's just old and can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore. And the age is affecting his mental sharpness. Two weeks in a row I've heard him call Dak "Zak." It's going to be as bad as "Randy" Stewart. The difference is everyone loved Jack, so we'd all laugh and let it go when he did that kind of stuff. But with Jim, no one is going to be so forgiving, at least in football. And don't even get me started on how he rambles on after the play instead of going to commercial break, causing radio to come back late. And it happens 2-3 times EVERY game. Missing game action because Jim can't shut up and send it to the break is inexcusable and embarrassing.

I'll never understand why we at MSU let our long time icons keep going when they start to decline instead of protecting them. We've got some hard changes to make in the near future, and a lot of the blue hairs won't like them. But it has to happen, because it's "best for business." Just hope Stricklin has the stones to do it. What really sucks is that we've let Will Kollmeyer get away and go to TSUN, although I'm sure he'd take the job if we offered it. But my guess is that we'll stick to our GOB system and just plug in Bart for play-by-play. Seems like we've been grooming him as the heir apparent.

Lol @ John. I know I've also heard him say "I was on the other side of the field and missed it" like 3 times a game

EAVdog
09-09-2014, 08:15 AM
It's only fitting that Jack Cristil and Radio Broadcasting passed on at the same time. Without Jack the radio broadcast would never be the same anyway. They both were an authentic fit for their era.

Jack Lambert
09-09-2014, 08:23 AM
My brother had to listen to the UAB game on the radio last weekend. His comment was "It sounded like Jim Ellis had never seen a football game in his life."

Obviously, Jim has watched football, but that's the difference between old-school radio guys and the new breed.

I hate that my son will grow up never having sat and listened to Jack call a game.

Jim is kind of a old school guy. He and John has been around a long time. He's more of a baseball guy.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Jim is kind of a old school guy. He and John has been around a long time. He's more of a baseball guy.

And that is another factor that hurts Jim with football and basketball. Baseball has a ton of dead time that allows you to ramble on. Skip Caray was the master at it, and Jim is good with action at that pace but it does not translate to football and basketball where you have to describe more action in detail for radio.

What I wish the SEC Network would do is suck it up and assign a "home" broadcast for each team. Each team would have a regular p-b-p and color guy, just like radio. Watching MSU vs. OM - tune to Channel 611-1 for MSU, 611-2 for OM. They could use the same TV feed, with different audio, and simulcast the audio over radio. If they don't, radio games will continue to decline to the point where no one listens.

BulldogBear
09-09-2014, 09:17 AM
And that is another factor that hurts Jim with football and basketball. Baseball has a ton of dead time that allows you to ramble on. Skip Caray was the master at it, and Jim is good with action at that pace but it does not translate to football and basketball where you have to describe more action in detail for radio.

What I wish the SEC Network would do is suck it up and assign a "home" broadcast for each team. Each team would have a regular p-b-p and color guy, just like radio. Watching MSU vs. OM - tune to Channel 611-1 for MSU, 611-2 for OM. They could use the same TV feed, with different audio, and simulcast the audio over radio. If they don't, radio games will continue to decline to the point where no one listens.

That would be very cool Brunswick!

WMD- you forgot my favorite Jack name change which was "Twany BeckMAN"

PassInterference
09-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Jim Ellis can't follow the pace of football. As a play happens, he pretty much says nothing. We usually don't hear the snap. We here him mumbling a little bit. After the play is over, Jim tries describing what just happened.

Hey Jim, that's the color guy's job. Stop doing color and start doing play-by-play!

As Jim is rambling and describing what has already happened, the next play is usually starting and we often don't hear anything about it until the play is half way over or finished.

The game is always getting ahead or away from Jim and he's always trying to catch up to it or play the color role.

I feel sorry for Matt. He hardly has an opportunity to do his job as a color guy. And Matt is a good color guy, BTW.

Jim needs to retire. They need to try out another guy for play-by-play or let Bart do it. If they posted a job for play-by-play, there would be people across the region chomping at the bit for that job. Have them send in tapes of their work and pick a good guy. I'd rather they do that than go the "Mississippi State way" of just handing it to the next guy standing around (like a Bart or a Jim Ellis after Jack retired).