PDA

View Full Version : Ol Jack was special- he was without a doubt- the #1 Bulldog

Coach34
09-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Many of you youngsters out there dont realize just how special Jack Cristil was to us 40, 50, and 60 year olds. We didnt have Gameday every Saturday. We didnt have ESPN early on. There were literally 2 college football games on each Saturday when I was little. I never saw State play on TV until I was 11 years old in 1980 Sun Bowl. I almost want to say the 1981 Hall of Fame Bowl was on tape delay. State games just werent ever on TV. We had Jack.

Growing up, Saturdays in the Fall were all about grilling and waiting to listen to the State game on the radio when they didnt play in Jackson. I was very fortunate to see the Dawgs play 3-4 times per season in Jackson- but the rest of the season was all radio. My Dad would decide what we were cooking on Saturday and then we would plan our day around the game. It was all about football and Miss State on Saturday.

Jack painted a picture that made you feel like you were there. I remember him always starting off "welcome to the campus of Mississippi State University..." or a welcome from the campus of the team we were playing...He would give us the starting line-ups...he would give us a scouting report...he would describe our uniforms...and he would do it in the way Jack did it. And that made him different and better than the rest.

Jack watched more State football than all of us. And he saw alot of shitty football- but he also got to tell us about some good times. And while I can legitimately say- "I was there"- I can also say I would have been just as happy hearing Jack describe one of our greatest moments live on the radio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AX7mbzXbfA

Thank you Jack for being such a large part of my childhood and for the many great memories of listening to you with my father and the times we shared. Some of the greatest times of my life. You are truly the #1 Bulldog.

I seen it dawg
09-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Great post and 100% spot on.

BeastMan
09-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Hell coach, even the 30ish crowd remembers Jack. I remember when there was only 2-3 SEC games on and Jack was the only way. Listened to many games on the radio

hailmari
09-08-2014, 09:06 PM
We used to watch the games muted on tv with Jack turned on the radio.

Bothrops
09-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Right on. I remember early Saturday evenings at home with steaks on the grill on the back patio, trying to get the dial adjusted to hear Jack. Other times, I remember heading to Memorial Stadium listening to the pregame and entering the stadium, where some fans brought their portable radios in to hear Jack while watching the game. I can still smell the pipe tobacco and cigar smoke.

Barking 13
09-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Does anyone else feel like they knew Jack, but had never met? My wife tells me I do a pretty good impression of him.. I guess it was the 40+ years of hearing him almost every Saturday of my life and then seeing him on Sunday night after the news on the (Name Coach) Show.. It should have been the Jack Cristil Show

"Waddaya think John?"

MaxedOutMaroon
09-08-2014, 10:58 PM
I must say, we are due for an Alabama upset. We used to compete and still do occasionally all the time. Would love to see a Bulldog victory over the Tide this year

FlabLoser
09-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Yep. I listened to Jack. When TV got more cowbell, I muted the TV and listened to Jack. And until Jack's later years when he game calling faded, I even listened to Jack in the stadium with radio headphones.

vhdawg had a great Jack story. After the game where Croom beat Bama in Tuscaloosa, vhdawg and his crew hung out and congratulated our players as they were leaving the locker room. Hung out even longer to wait for Croom & Jack to finish taping the coach's show. Vhdawg and his friend told Jack how long he had been going to home & away games - and Jack says, "well you boys have seen as many wins here as I have".

drunkernhelldawg
09-09-2014, 01:42 AM
That's what I'm talkin' about.

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2014, 01:55 AM
Hell coach, even the 30ish crowd remembers Jack. I remember when there was only 2-3 SEC games on and Jack was the only way. Listened to many games on the radio

We used to watch the games muted on tv with Jack turned on the radio.

Absolutely. I grew up on Jack and remember the days of 2-3 games on TV for the entire week. Jack was what we had. And if we did happen to be on TV, we'd mute it and listen to Jack's call. And when I went to a game, I carried a radio to listen to Jack. Still carry a radio to listen, actually. Habit and such.

West Houston Dog
09-09-2014, 08:01 AM
numerous seconds before the Alabama qb gets the snap who then gets hit running right and then Jack shouting ''FUMBLE!".....''BULLDOGS RECOVER!!BULLDOGS RECOVER!!BULLDOGS RECOVER!!" Maybe his most memorable broadcast moment .

I will always remember Jack and he made the game come alive for us. Like you said there were few tv games, if you didnt get to go to the game, you pulled that radio close and Jack brought the game to you.

We need a nice bronze statue of him next to the fieldhouse in the Junction.

Many of you youngsters out there dont realize just how special Jack Cristil was to us 40, 50, and 60 year olds. We didnt have Gameday every Saturday. We didnt have ESPN early on. There were literally 2 college football games on each Saturday when I was little. I never saw State play on TV until I was 11 years old in 1980 Sun Bowl. I almost want to say the 1981 Hall of Fame Bowl was on tape delay. State games just werent ever on TV. We had Jack.

Growing up, Saturdays in the Fall were all about grilling and waiting to listen to the State game on the radio when they didnt play in Jackson. I was very fortunate to see the Dawgs play 3-4 times per season in Jackson- but the rest of the season was all radio. My Dad would decide what we were cooking on Saturday and then we would plan our day around the game. It was all about football and Miss State on Saturday.

Jack painted a picture that made you feel like you were there. I remember him always starting off "welcome to the campus of Mississippi State University..." or a welcome from the campus of the team we were playing...He would give us the starting line-ups...he would give us a scouting report...he would describe our uniforms...and he would do it in the way Jack did it. And that made him different and better than the rest.

Jack watched more State football than all of us. And he saw alot of shitty football- but he also got to tell us about some good times. And while I can legitimately say- "I was there"- I can also say I would have been just as happy hearing Jack describe one of our greatest moments live on the radio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AX7mbzXbfA

Thank you Jack for being such a large part of my childhood and for the many great memories of listening to you with my father and the times we shared. Some of the greatest times of my life. You are truly the #1 Bulldog.

BulldogBear
09-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Absolutely. I grew up on Jack and remember the days of 2-3 games on TV for the entire week. Jack was what we had. And if we did happen to be on TV, we'd mute it and listen to Jack's call. And when I went to a game, I carried a radio to listen to Jack. Still carry a radio to listen, actually. Habit and such.

Yeah, I know. YOu know what I was kind of hoping? I was kind of hoping one of these years we might actually get back to ATL or even the playoff. Then without telling a soul, the broadcast comes on and there is Jack doing the play by play one last time. Won't happen now. I can see it now, some network guy wondering why there was a sudden drop in TV ratings for the game. I would've cut off the TV, went and sat on the porch and listened to Jack's call.

I hope they will play clips during timeouts this year.

Maroonthirteen
09-09-2014, 10:02 AM
http://youtu.be/HZVvvRnFMhs

Another. I'm sure I listened to this game live.

DudyDawg
09-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Hope we have a nice video tribute and moment of silence for the next game at DWS. Sucks that its in a few weeks tho

AROB44
09-09-2014, 10:26 AM
I remember listening to the 1969 game with Houston (we lost 74-0). In the first quarter you could tell we were going to get totally ripped!!! Jack said as only Jack could...."we better get the record books out on this one". That was classic Jack.

State82
09-09-2014, 01:50 PM
I remember listening to the 1969 game with Houston (we lost 74-0). In the first quarter you could tell we were going to get totally ripped!!! Jack said as only Jack could...."we better get the record books out on this one". That was classic Jack.

Funny you mention this game AROB44. Thought about it yesterday. That is the farthest back I can remember but I do recall listening to that game while traveling somewhere with my folks. Can't remember any prior to that one. Also, great post Coach. You nailed it as well as anyone has.