PDA

View Full Version : Should Rea have stuck with football?

Bully13
05-23-2013, 09:04 PM
once that dumbass H.S. coach pulled that punishment shit and ****ed his pitching arm up, maybe he should have?

don't get me wrong, I love me some Wes Rea..he's a Bulldog and I know he gives it his all and he's helped us tremendously... but damn... I know he's improved some on the curve ball but I just watched him do that wave shit on the bender and it doesn't look like he'll ever be a MLB player.

I'm thinking dude could have had a better chance playing professionally in the NFL...

what say the elites?

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I think he can potentially be a great baseball player. I dont think he will ever make a dime playing baseball though.

I think he could make money playing football. He will go down as a good to great college player (depending on next year and how healthy he is) but you cant make it in MLB being fat and slow with low / medium power.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I think he can potentially be a great baseball player. I dont think he will ever make a dime playing baseball though.

I think he could make money playing football. He will go down as a good to great college player (depending on next year and how healthy he is) but you cant make it in MLB being fat and slow with low / medium power.

Slow with low/medium power didnt work for Travis chapman and he was twice maybe 4 times the hitter rea is

Coach34
05-23-2013, 09:21 PM
he is very fragile- so no

Bully13
05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
isn't it too late for him to make it to the NFL at this point though? be careful with the "great" term for baseball potential though, that would insinuate going to the next level in baseball, no?

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 09:27 PM
as coach said, he is hurt too much to play football. You can be a great college player and not a great mlb player. Same way you can be a great college basketball player and not get drafted. Yet, you can be a top 5 pick like tyrus thomas on potential only.

I think wes can be a .330 hitter with 10 plus homers next year if healthy. That, with his defense would make him a great college player.

TopconDog
05-23-2013, 09:29 PM
rea will have better power numbers than renfroe next year,watch and see

Bully13
05-23-2013, 09:32 PM
cool on the great college athlete vs professional potential ; but regarding "fragile" ? what, based on his history, says he would have been too fragile had he committed to being an OL? football injuries vs baseball injuries?

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 09:32 PM
rea will have better power numbers than renfroe next year,watch and see

TopconDog
05-23-2013, 09:51 PM

Compare their freshman and soph numbers,rea has better power numbers in his first two years than renfroe did,don't get me wrong I am a renfroe fan,but I think rea is gonna be a monster next year.

engie
05-23-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't like people trying to assign future values to baseball players that have YET to ever even get to play in a good summer league -- and has been injured for much of their career.

Fact is, we have NO IDEA how good of player and hitter Rea can be at this point. He's never even approached is ceiling yet...

Todd4State
05-23-2013, 11:31 PM
I don't like people trying to assign future values to baseball players that have YET to ever even get to play in a good summer league -- and has been injured for much of their career.

Fact is, we have NO IDEA how good of player and hitter Rea can be at this point. He's never even approached is ceiling yet...

THIS. People forget that Rea is only a sophomore. He has barely played in summer league ball. He needs at bats.

I think he has a future in baseball. He can hit for power, he is a 6'5" first baseman which MLB teams LOVE and he can field well already.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:33 PM
THIS. People forget that Rea is only a sophomore. He has barely played in summer league ball. He needs at bats.

I think he has a future in baseball. He can hit for power, he is a 6'5" first baseman which MLB teams LOVE and he can field well already.

If we wants to play mlb, doesn't he need to develop more power and get down to around 250?

Todd4State
05-23-2013, 11:59 PM
If we wants to play mlb, doesn't he need to develop more power and get down to around 250?

More power will come with more at bats. Don't forget- he missed pretty much all of the non-conference games and hit one at Kentucky that is a home run in most ballparks. With a full season, he could very easily have 8-10 right now.

Weight with a first baseman- not necessarily a huge issue. See the Fielder family, Boog Powell, Matt Adams with the Cardinals, John Kruk, etc. 250 actually might be too light for Wes. Maybe more like 260-265. I don't think it will be that much of an issue since Wes moves around so well at that weight.

His biggest issue is actually staying healthy.

Saltydog
05-24-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm certainly no pro scout but I like Rea. Got extremely good feet for a man his size and his glove is great. I think he'll develop over the next couple of years, assuming he doesn't leave early. Actually, if I'm not mistaken he could leave after this year. He had a r/s year and is 21 so wouldn't that make him eligible for the draft now?

msstate7
05-24-2013, 08:57 AM
nt

That isn't a compliment

Sandman14
05-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Wes Rea is going to break out next season. He is s sophomore who is 6'5 270 and is the second most clutch hitter on the ninth best team in the nation heading into post season play. He is the best fielding first baseman in the SEC. He doesn't even have his "man-strength" yet.

Goat Holder
05-24-2013, 10:34 AM
A lot of moronic garbage in this thread. Wes Rea has simply been an outstanding player for us, and he's going to be even better next year. Guy plays ridiculous defense, is clutch as hell, and our fans are bashing him. Complete idiocy.

maroonmania
05-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Compare their freshman and soph numbers,rea has better power numbers in his first two years than renfroe did,don't get me wrong I am a renfroe fan,but I think rea is gonna be a monster next year.

Well, to be honest, at this point and time I would rather see Rea up to bat with ducks on the pond than Renfroe. Now that probably has more to do with the big time funk Renfroe is in than anything else but Rea's at bat against SC the other night singling in the go ahead run with bases loaded in the 9th going the other way was CLUTCH!

War Machine Dawg
05-24-2013, 11:19 AM
I actually talked to one of the baseball managers at the Maroon-White Game this year. I said something to him about Rea slimming down more and he told me that would never happen. He said Wes is down to 275 now, without a whole lot of fat (despite appearances). Basically he said Rea's body type just wouldn't let him get much smaller.