PDA

View Full Version : Mullen

msstate7
09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
I really hate how Mullen handled the last 2 games. That said the reason we have a team we feel is capable of competing this year is bc of mullen's development of players. Maybe we should sit back and let Mullen do what feels is necessary to develop these players. After all, how many of these inferior teams have beat us under Mullen?

chef dixon
09-08-2014, 04:55 PM
I want to say the only game we have lost under Mullen when we were favored is Auburn the year after we went 9-4. We haven't won all of them pretty, but its better than the former regime which routinely lost to garbage opponents. Its just time to beat some good teams.

Dawg61
09-08-2014, 05:03 PM
I really hate how Mullen handled the last 2 games. That said the reason we have a team we feel is capable of competing this year is bc of mullen's development of players. Maybe we should sit back and let Mullen do what feels is necessary to develop these players. After all, how many of these inferior teams have beat us under Mullen?

I've said this repeatedly and I'll continue to say it. I am fine with what Mullen is doing as long as the #2 QB and 2-4 RBs are getting it done. They aren't which makes it hard to back what Dan is doing. Again I want to see Fitz over Williams this week. Fitz can run better than Williams and Williams hasn't exactly been showing he can throw it better than Fitz. Let's see what the rookie has got.

Reason2succeed
09-08-2014, 05:07 PM
I just think that playing Damien can backfire if he loses his confidence. Other than that Mullen can do whatever he wants. It's his job that's on the line. No one likes a backseat driver.

Speaking of which, Bama fans are going nuts because their backup QB isn't playing? How in the world do you as a fan question a coach that has won 5 NCs? Sit down and shut up and enjoy the ride.

Bully13
09-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Being commited to that 3rd series every time sux as well. JWS. Did that shit one year too and it sucked. Im also hoping we establish ? true 1st & 2nd team starting this sat. Lets dont wait for LSU before we start playing big boy football

Dawgtini
09-08-2014, 06:02 PM
I've said this repeatedly and I'll continue to say it. I am fine with what Mullen is doing as long as the #2 QB and 2-4 RBs are getting it done. They aren't which makes it hard to back what Dan is doing. Again I want to see Fitz over Williams this week. Fitz can run better than Williams and Williams hasn't exactly been showing he can throw it better than Fitz. Let's see what the rookie has got.
What does "getting it done" look like? I see W's and no losses to Maine, et. al. I have no problem with W's. My ego would like to see mud holes full of opponents on the field, but my intellect is thrilled with W's on the scoreboard.

Political Hack
09-08-2014, 06:18 PM
yeeeep.

I seen it dawg
09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
"You know it's like better than losing" - Nuke Laloosh

MaxedOutMaroon
09-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Now I'm not advocating Damien rotating with Dak at all, but I don't understand the whole Fitz over Damien. Until I see Fitz on the field in no way would I advocate him over Damien. Damien has a rocket of an arm. If you don't believe me, reflect on the rocket he fired while getting hit Saturday. People have turned on him, but complain that we haven't given Shumpert a chance, because Shumpert is a true sophomore, well so is Williams. So I understand the frustrations with putting Damien in the first half, but actually study what he is doing wrong and it is reading defenses, not necessarily throwing the ball. Please study before making assumptions. I realize people will disagree but I'm fine with that

Dawg61
09-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Now I'm not advocating Damien rotating with Dak at all, but I don't understand the whole Fitz over Damien. Until I see Fitz on the field in no way would I advocate him over Damien. Damien has a rocket of an arm. If you don't believe me, reflect on the rocket he fired while getting hit Saturday. People have turned on him, but complain that we haven't given Shumpert a chance, because Shumpert is a true sophomore, well so is Williams. So I understand the frustrations with putting Damien in the first half, but actually study what he is doing wrong and it is reading defenses, not necessarily throwing the ball. Please study before making assumptions. I realize people will disagree but I'm fine with that

Whose bitched about his arm strength? Nobody that I remember. Physically he is gifted and nobody is saying throw him out to the pasture. I simply just want to see what Fitz has to offer. If I am right about him and he's as good as I think he is than we could use him this year. He might become a weapon for us just like Tebow was as a freshman and Dak was before he became the starter. Since Mullen insists on rotating another QB in I would prefer that 2nd QB to add or compliment what the 1st team is doing. Fitz is dangerous with his legs. Just ask BrunswickDawg. He's 6'5 225 and runs pretty damn fast for a QB. Imagine adding Matt Jones into the mix for a couple snaps even if he rarely throws. Basically I think Fitz ability to run makes him more dangerous than Williams serviceable abilities and I am hoping that Fitz has developed as a passer under Mullen. Won't know till we see him in games. If we redshirt both he and Staley I think we increase the risk that one of them transfers. If we play Fitz this year I think it's more likely both he and Staley stay at QB for MSU longer. Maybe it's more likely that Williams settles down and starts putting together successful drives. If Williams does that than nobody is bitching.

FlabLoser
09-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Fitz...OK, I kind of agree. Him or Stately. If history is any indicator, we should get our 3rd QB a few reps.

Given that we've been able to give our 2nd QBs meaningful reps, I say we keep Dak in long enough to blow out South Alabama and then give Fitz/Staley a shot.

Homedawg
09-08-2014, 11:43 PM

This is sooooo damn stupid. Trust me he isn't ready.

MSUDawg4Life
09-09-2014, 12:10 AM

How would Dan Mullen or anyone else know the backups are not getting it done if he didn't throw them out there? Is Fitz going to get it done? How do you know? What would it mean if Fitz goes out there and doesn't perform up to your standards? Would you still blame Mullen for given him a chance or would you have some other gripe?

Dawg61
09-09-2014, 12:45 AM
How would Dan Mullen or anyone else know the backups are not getting it done if he didn't throw them out there? Is Fitz going to get it done? How do you know? What would it mean if Fitz goes out there and doesn't perform up to your standards? Would you still blame Mullen for given him a chance or would you have some other gripe?

I think the risk is worth the potential reward. I won't be mad if Mullen tries Fitz and he ends up showing he's not ready. Maybe it will motivate Williams too.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm a huge Fitz fan, and definitely think he and Staley have the talent we need for the future, but....
While extremely talented both are extremely raw. While here since January, Fitz was primarily a WR/TE through his JR HS season. So he has been focused on learning to be a QB for maybe 20 months? Staley has played the position longer, but he essentially lost his SR season and went and focused on BBall. Both these kids have huge upside, but a lot to learn. We have to keep that in mind when we start calling for #3 to pass #2.

Political Hack
09-09-2014, 07:42 AM
CDM is forcing fans to turn on Damien, unnecessarily. When you sit Dak to play him during meaningful minutes and games that we should've put away remain close, fans are going to bitch. As part of that bitchfest they'll feel the need to point out the difference between Dak and Damien. it's natural that this would happen, but any vile or critique of Damien is misguided IMO. It should be directed at Dan. He's a man. He's forty.

WinningIsRelentless
09-09-2014, 07:48 AM
You guys have been harping on how Dak needs to get in a rhythm but in the same damn breath bitching about the way Dwill is playing. Guess what he needs to get in a rhythm also, so before throwing him under the bus let that sink in. Plus it is going to come a point were Dak gets his bell rung and Dwill will have to step in and finish out a series or for that matter a game.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Fitz is dangerous with his legs. Just ask BrunswickDawg. He's 6'5 225 and runs pretty damn fast for a QB. Imagine adding Matt Jones into the mix for a couple snaps even if he rarely throws. Basically I think Fitz ability to run makes him more dangerous than Williams serviceable abilities and I am hoping that Fitz has developed as a passer under Mullen. Won't know till we see him in games.

I definitely agree with the assessment of Fitz' capabilities. He is a tremendous runner. He pretty much ran the Relf-fense in HS last year from what I saw. And he has an arm. He didn't throw a lot b/c the offense wasn't built that way. When he did throw, it was on target and usually for a TD. He is smart, and like Dak, everyone around him said he was the type player that people just gravitated to.

As much as I want to see what he (and for that matter Staley) can do I have to temper that with knowledge that we have a coach who turned Tyson Lee into an almost serviceable SEC QB and won 9 games in a season with Relf as QB. If Dan has a QB that he hasn't played, I have to trust he knows what he is doing. I really don't think Dan was planning to play Damien last year, he did so out of necessity, and it paid off to a degree.

notsofarawaydawg
09-09-2014, 08:10 AM

This coming from someone who thought those basketball thugs fighting in the stands on national TV were great players for Mississippi State. *smh*