PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Sell: Jack Cristil

DistrictDawg92
09-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Buy/sell: Jack Cristil will be the first man to have a statue of himself erected in front of Davis Wade Stadium. To think that he called our games from 1953-2011 is truly an immortal like feat that will never be touched again unless we finally find that damn ole fountain of youth. Hats off to anyone who can call games for Mississippi State for almost 60 years( hell I just pray I live to 60) without ever getting to angry on call or committing suicide. I know none of us could do it. I'm gonna go with buy, would love nothing more to see the old man puffing on a cig with a whiskey drink in his other hand every time I step foot into DWS. Let's make this happen.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Buy in bulk

DawgSaint
09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Easy Buy! It is terrible we waited until he died to even consider such a topic. Why is that? It happens all the time in every aspect of life...We wait until person is gone to name something or build something in their honor and they never get to see it!

State82
09-08-2014, 04:19 PM
First and only. It better happen sooner than later.

DistrictDawg92
09-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Easy Buy! It is terrible we waited until he died to even consider such a topic. Why is that? It happens all the time in every aspect of life...We wait until person is gone to name something or build something in their honor and they never get to see it!

Alfred Wegener says hello! Poor guy had this ridiculous idea called "continental drift", how the **** can land move through water? impossible!!! He was frozen to death by himself in Greenland trying to prove his theory to be true. He died as a ridiculed and outrageously idiotic scientist. Today his theory is the most fundamental law related to the way the world works.

DistrictDawg92
09-08-2014, 04:33 PM
This may be a corny idea, but what if the fan base voted on his 10-20 best calls/moments in his 60 years, and then put buttons down on the base that plays an audio clip for each of his top 10-20 calls/moments. Would be cool for his voice to live forever in DWS.

engie
09-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Because Jack wasn't a big fan of being "honored" and probably didn't want to deal with it is why. He savored being a "normal fan" after he retired. He came to games as an average fan, nothing more -- when he knew he had an open invitation to 50(at the time) skyboxes and anything else he wanted in DWS even if that was outlandish. He never wanted any part of that. Only preferential treatment I ever saw was not waiting in lines and not having a person in the stadium that was going to even attempt to stop him from smoking. Jack was one of a kind. I'm sure Strick will talk with his daughters and figure out a way to honor Jack in a manner that he would have actually liked.

I think us wanting a statue of Jack is "us wanting to remember Jack how we want to remember him" maybe moreso than "how he actually wanted to be remembered" not that there's anything wrong with either way...

engie
09-08-2014, 04:37 PM
This may be a corny idea, but what if the fan base voted on his 10-20 best calls/moments in his 60 years, and then put buttons down on the base that plays an audio clip for each of his top 10-20 calls/moments. Would be cool for his voice to live forever in DWS.

I like this idea...

drunkernhelldawg
09-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Somebody mentioned that in another thread. Seems like it would work indoors but have problems outdoors. Sounds like a good feature for the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame.

cheewgumm
09-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Also, after each Miss State win , the startue could be "wrapped" in maroon and white TP...thus wrapping it in maroon and white. Maybe stealing a little from Auburn, but fitting tribute.

starkvegasdawg
09-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Also, after each Miss State win , the startue could be "wrapped" in maroon and white TP...thus wrapping it in maroon and white. Maybe stealing a little from Auburn, but fitting tribute.

Now that could be a hell of a tradition.

cheewgumm
09-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Yep, I agree. Make the statue bigger than normal though, then wrap him in maroon and white after every win. Done and done.

IMissJack
09-08-2014, 05:34 PM
If his wishes were no statue, then we could still honor him, even starting this year, by wrapping the bulldog statues at the Junction in Maroon and White. Maybe corny, but I would get it.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Buy... all day long.

Saltydog
09-08-2014, 06:09 PM
nt

Fred Garvin
09-08-2014, 07:16 PM

I like the suggestion of putting a lit cigarette between his fingers after every victory