PDA

View Full Version : Should MSU Sports Personalities Opine on Political Matters?

Political Hack
05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
This is slightly political, but I want it to stay here and hopefully keep the gay vs anti-gay argument on the political board.

What I want to know is this: Should MSU representatives be spouting off their political opinions on twitter?

Personally I think it's incredibly stupid and has the potential to divide the fan base and turn the media against State. I also think it can be used selectively by others to shed a negative light on MSU. I think it's stupid and childish and has no place being put on a public forum by an MSU personality.

Thoughts?

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 08:37 PM
No. Matt wyatt can think what he wants but when he says something extremely small minded (no matter that majority of his market agrees with him), it hurts our image and brand nationally.

Will James
05-23-2013, 08:38 PM
If its his twitter then so what. If he's on air saying things it's different but even then I'm not going to muzzle anyone. Everyone applauded Costas for his political commentary recently.

Will James
05-23-2013, 08:43 PM
And I seriously think you people are blowing this way out of proportion just for the sake of being part of the professional offended class. Divide the fanbase? Really? Hurts our national brand? Uhh I doubt it.

Im sick and tired of the "offended class" fascist tactics. Not in this case but as a whole. Shit all conservatism or religious speech is considered "offensive" to the professional offensed class. It's my about debate it's silencing the opposition

Ronny
05-23-2013, 08:44 PM
...it's destructive on many levels for personalities associated with MSU sports to offer opinons on politics.

If you can name a single positive outcome of doing that, then please list it here.

But keep in mind it's Twitter & making a fool of yourself on Twitter has become an American right of passage.

TopconDog
05-23-2013, 08:57 PM
He spoke the truth,whats wrong with that

msstate7
05-23-2013, 09:02 PM
If he would have approved with the Boy Scouts decision, the same people ripping him would be praising him. #hypocrites

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 09:13 PM
If he would have approved with the Boy Scouts decision, the same people ripping him would be praising him. #hypocrites

not true. He should just keep his opinions (that are red button) to himself and not public. Honestly, I dont really give a shit about matt wyatt. This is just message board talk. Nobody knows who he is or takes him seriously. Im disappointed in him but 98% of the msu fan base and listeners agree with what he says.....so nobody will really give a shit.

GumpDawg
05-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Last I checked there is still freedom of speech in this country right? Matt is a talk radio jock who happens to call football games for us. He didn't say it during a football broadcast did he? His opinions nor his twitter account are that of the university. If you don't like his opinion don't follow him on twitter.

Everytime one of you spout off something stupid in public remember you are representing our university as well. Just like Matt and don't complain when someone tries to censor you of your opinion.

And no I could care less what his stance is on the issue.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Last I checked there is still freedom of speech in this country right? Matt is a talk radio jock who happens to call football games for us. He didn't say it during a football broadcast did he? His opinions nor his twitter account are that of the university. If you don't like his opinion don't follow him on twitter.

Everytime one of you spout off something stupid in public remember you are representing our university as well. Just like Matt and don't complain when someone tries to censor you of your opinion.

And no I could care less what his stance is on the issue.

Just a pet peeve of mine but you could NOT care less. If you could care less, you could obviously care less. I know everyone says they COULD care less but it drives me crazy. It is could not....

carry on though. 98% percent of people say I could care less (like matts opinion in these parts)...so Im use to it

BeastMan
05-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Regardless if I agree or not I hate when MSU sports personalities offer political opinions. Stick to sports. It causes bad pub for MSU.

engie
05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Yep. Bad for MSU. Politics and sports have no real place intertwined -- at least not in this capacity...

Wyatt's problem is that he's trying to have crossover appeal in both segments -- which his new "supertalkMS" radio station almost certainly encourages. A crossroads is coming in the very near future(and this may have done it) where he has to decide what route he'd like to take in his career -- and he'll have to leave the other stuff in his private life.

GumpDawg
05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Actually I don't but thanks for the insight into my mind. MY pet peeve is people whining about someone else's opinion. I am like you I could care less about Matt Wyatt, but I'm not in a position to tell him how to live his life.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Isn't Matt also employed by a conservative radio station?

bluelightstar
05-23-2013, 10:17 PM
No - if you choose to be a public figure, keep your private opinions to yourself.

You're certainly free to say it, but don't be surprised when people get pissed.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 10:19 PM
No - if you choose to be a public figure, keep your private opinions to yourself.

You're certainly free to say it, but don't be surprised when people get pissed.
Much like the president kept his feelings about Jason Collins coming out secret?

FlabLoser
05-23-2013, 10:22 PM
The Boy Scouts are very near and dear to the hearts of people that have been involved with it. When there is a titanic shift in the values they have stood for, it is a very emotional issue. And it brings up serious questions about the future of the organization.

I am a scout leader. I see and have empathy for both sides of this issue. More personally, now I am responsible and liable for sexually attracted kids camping together in the woods and I am not cool with that.

dawgoneyall
05-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Why is being against the boy scouts allowing gays political? That is a personal view which he is allowed to have.

You disagree with him. That is your opinion, stupid as it may be.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 10:28 PM
The Boy Scouts are very near and dear to the hearts of people that have been involved with it. When there is a titanic shift in the values they have stood for, it is a very emotional issue. And it brings up serious questions about the future of the organization.

I am a scout leader. I see and have empathy for both sides of this issue. More personally, now I am responsible and liable for sexually attracted kids camping together in the woods and I am not cool with that.

so gay kids were never in the boy scouts until today? Who gives a shit if jesse and jason are 14 and jacking each other off in their tent? WTF do does it matter. I was trying to finger bang my GF when I was 13 at the movies while watching titanic.

It all boils down to something people are "sick" to see. Your 15 year old wants to bang vag. If he wants to bang dick, it isnt really that different.

Edit - I was in the boy scouts. I can never phathom the point where anything I did there would go sexual. I was a kid that wanted to camp. Sex, even if I was gay, was last on my mind. I wanted to whittle the fastest wood cart there was.....

Political Hack
05-23-2013, 10:31 PM
then don't be a part of the organization Flab. Teachers deal with supervising different sexes intermingling every day. If its too much to handle, disassociate yourself. Nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions or acting in accord ace with their beliefs, but spouting off political positions should not be a speciality of Keenum, Strick, "Maroon" Wyatt, Mullen, etc...

Whether you agree with the position or not is besides the point. Be divisive is not a practice that our University leaders should engage in.

Quaoarsking
05-23-2013, 10:37 PM

Do you really think there's going to be a rush of gays trying to join your troop? If a gay teen was interested in the Scouts, he's probably already in it, either closeted, or in a troop that doesn't care.

Bully13
05-23-2013, 10:47 PM
This is slightly political, but I want it to stay here and hopefully keep the gay vs anti-gay argument on the political board.

What I want to know is this: Should MSU representatives be spouting off their political opinions on twitter?

Personally I think it's incredibly stupid and has the potential to divide the fan base and turn the media against State. I also think it can be used selectively by others to shed a negative light on MSU. I think it's stupid and childish and has no place being put on a public forum by an MSU personality.

Thoughts?

of course not, they should never do that. that should be reserved for ESPN when they try to out liberal each other.

FlabLoser
05-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Hack, I did a poor job of opening that Wyatt most likely let loose and emotional opinion.

I hope Strick lets Wyatt know that he is a MSU representative 247 and as such should not opine on politics and religion.

Q - I am thankfully only at the Cub Scout level right now. I think scouting is a great thing. I am cautiously optimistic about the future. I know for a fact that the BSA takes youth protection (ie: how not to let scouts get molested or sexually abused or harassed) very seriously. The only training I am required to take annually is in youth protection. It will be interesting to see how the policy change affects the said policy.

Political Hack
05-23-2013, 10:56 PM
like I said, politics and political views aside, our University representatives have to be respectful to all people and all organizations, especially in the public eye. Having the voice of MSU take an anti-gay stance in a public setting is awful.

ESPN shouldn't be spending 3 days on Jason Collin's being gay either. Maybe I've had a different groups of friends or lived in other areas too long, but being gay is not a 3 day story.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:04 PM
like I said, politics and political views aside, our University representatives have to be respectful to all people and all organizations, especially in the public eye. Having the voice of MSU take an anti-gay stance in a public setting is awful.

ESPN shouldn't be spending 3 days on Jason Collin's being gay either. Maybe I've had a different groups of friends or lived in other areas too long, but being gay is not a 3 day story.

The president represents the entire USA. How come its ok for him to take a pro-gay stance, but it isn't ok for Matt Wyatt to take an anti-gay stance? Do we hold the color analyst for miss state football games to a higher standard than the president if the us?

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 11:07 PM
one is hate, one is love and acceptance. Best I got for ya.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:09 PM
one is hate, one is love and acceptance. Best I got for ya.

Sounds like there's a lot of hate for those who don't agree with homosexuality also.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 11:13 PM
exactly. Doesnt effect you. Dogs bark at vacuum cleaners. It cant hurt them but they dont understand so they bark.

Again, it doesnt effect you. Who cares. Another forum. Another discussion. Another time. It really shouldnt be on the main board now.

For the record, I dont hate anyone that is anti gay. I feel sorry for them.

Political Hack
05-23-2013, 11:14 PM
the President is a political figure who's come to be expected to lead the nations policy debates on social issues, whether we like it or not.

Matt Wyatt is the voice of MSU and should be putting his efforts into consolidating the fan base. If he wants to pursue a political career, he needs to quit being a representative of our fan base. He can represent one or the other effectively, but not both.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:15 PM
exactly. Doesnt effect you. Dogs bark at vacuum cleaners. It cant hurt them but they dont understand so they bark.

Again, it doesnt effect you. Who cares. Another forum. Another discussion. Another time. It really shouldnt be on the main board now.

For the record, I dont hate anyone that is anti gay. I feel sorry for them.

I'm responding on the political board. Thank you for your pity.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:17 PM
the President is a political figure who's come to be expected to lead the nations policy debates on social issues, whether we like it or not.

Matt Wyatt is the voice of MSU and should be putting his efforts into consolidating the fan base. If he wants to pursue a political career, he needs to quit being a representative of our fan base. He can represent one or the other effectively, but not both.

He's also employed by a conservative radio station. Maybe he's being a representative of that employer

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 11:19 PM
He's also employed by a conservative radio station. Maybe he's being a representative of that employer

for the record, matt wyatt can say whatever he wants. Nobody outside the golden triangle gives a shit. His audience will overwhelmingly agree with it. I dont give a shit what he says. He lead us to a comeback over auburn. I like the guy no matter what he says. I dont have to agree with him

engie
05-23-2013, 11:22 PM

This is what I was saying earlier...He semi-regularly co-hosts political radio shows as well as a stand-in on Supertalk as well...where he is expected to discuss these matters.

At some point in the not-so-distant future, he's going to be at a crossroads with this...

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:23 PM
for the record, matt wyatt can say whatever he wants. Nobody outside the golden triangle gives a shit. His audience will overwhelmingly agree with it. I dont give a shit what he says. He lead us to a comeback over auburn. I like the guy no matter what he says. I dont have to agree with him

I like Matt also and I would like him had he proclaimed he was gay and wanted to join the Boy Scouts. Seems Matt gained a lot of enemies today by speaking his mind today though. #tolerance

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-23-2013, 11:25 PM
I like Matt also and I would like him had he proclaimed he was gay and wanted to join the Boy Scouts. Seems Matt gained a lot of enemies today by speaking his mind today though. #tolerance

yep. Matt is a bastian of tolerance.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:26 PM
yep. Matt is a bastian of tolerance.

No the ones who preach tolerance are the very ones who have no tolerance for the Matt Wyatts of the world

LiterallyPolice
05-23-2013, 11:39 PM
No the ones who preach tolerance are the very ones who have no tolerance for the Matt Wyatts of the world

Good Lord. Is this your only response? Stop trying to equate the two, because its not even close. Saying "I disagree with you" is not the same as "Your presence is not allowed here".

gravedigger
05-23-2013, 11:44 PM
He's not pro gay. He is pro equal rights for people regardless of sexual orientation.

Hump4Hoops
05-23-2013, 11:51 PM
duplicate nm

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:51 PM
He's not pro gay. He is pro equal rights for people regardless of sexual orientation.

He wasn't pro gay marriage until his campaign needed funds.

Hump4Hoops
05-23-2013, 11:52 PM

"You're intolerant of my intolerance, so that makes you a hypocrite!" is the ultimate playing to the non-thinker. It's nonsensical.

You being intolerant of a mistreated minority group is 180 degrees different than me being intolerant of those supporting the continued mistreatment of said minority group.

In other words, being intolerant of those who are intolerant of a weaker minority group is the best way to stand up for them - and to increase society's tolerance.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:53 PM
"You're intolerant of my intolerance, so that makes you a hypocrite!" is the ultimate playing to the non-thinker. Once you break it down, it's nonsensical.

You being intolerant of a mistreated minority group is 180 degrees different than me being intolerant of those supporting the continued mistreatment of said minority group.

In other words, being intolerant of those who are intolerant of a weaker minority group is the best way to stand up for them - and to increase society's tolerance.

And if my religious views are that it's wrong, then the hell with me...

Hump4Hoops
05-23-2013, 11:53 PM
And if my religious views are that it's wrong, then the hell with me...

Now you're getting it.

If your religious views lead you to discriminate against groups based on preferences that aren't harming anyone? Yes, the hell with you.

msstate7
05-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Now you're getting it.

If your religious views lead you to discriminate against groups based on preferences that aren't harming anyone? Yes, the hell with you.

Nice. Goodnight all

ckDOG
05-24-2013, 12:19 AM
I don't care what the man does or says in his personal life. He has a right to his opinion. That said, he's not a public figure due to politics. He's a sports guy. Publicly commenting on political issues isn't the wisest thing to do when your livelihood doesn't depend on such. It's a dumb move on his part.

M.Fillmore
05-24-2013, 12:34 AM
To Hump:

The Ichthus symbol has been important in Christianity since the first century, your avatar desecrates the symbol and you say that people who disagree with you are hateful. Every time I see your perversion of the Ichthus symbol it is offensive to me...no exaggeration.

So in your perception of reality, those who voice opinions contrary to yours are wrong but it is okay for your to not only attack our opinions but to pervert what has been cherished for 2000 years.

engie
05-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Now you're getting it.

You need to differentiate between discrimination and disagreement -- and disagreement and intolerance. You went EXTREMELY hyperbolic in that statement in a way that presents those that simply disagree with the lifestyle for whatever reason(religious, etc...) as some sort of hate-mongers. Your statement tries to paint it as a clear-cut issue -- when it isn't. It is PERFECTLY normal for people to disagree with that lifestyle and not hate or persecute the people that participate in it -- and who are you, or anyone else, to condemn their disagreement? That essentially exhibits exactly what your first post rallied against... from the other side of the fence...

MY God teaches that homosexuality is a sin. HE also preaches tolerance for everyone of all races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, etc. It is my job to do what I can to do what I can to "live up to" my OWN beliefs -- but it is NOT my job to hold my belief system over anyone else's head and force their conformation to it. So that puts me directly in the middle ground on an issue where BOTH sides try to paint me into a corner that I have no desire to be in -- and to be honest, I'm getting very worn down by being beaten up on both sides of the issue.

bobcat91
05-24-2013, 12:43 AM
He has the right to express his opinion, just as everyone else has done on this thread. And whether anyone else likes it or not, being in a very conservative region and university, the majority will agree with him. He is not a political figure or an employee of the government, so he can say what he wants and believe what he wants to the extent of free speech allowed. Those who disagreed were given the same right. My problem is the group who dislike what you say and basically say you have to shut up and get in line with what we say. They are every bit as dangerous as the Nazis and Communists ever dreamed of being because they believe that there are no absolutes, or moral underpinnings in society, only their group think. Dangerous indeed.

M.Fillmore
05-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Regarding the Boy Scouts decision, it was stupid from a business standpoint. In their own study, 62% opposed the change, some were undecided, and a much smaller percentage supported the change. In their own studies, BSA will lose 200,000 to 400,000 scouts in the US and over $30 million annually in revenue. If the effect in the US is like it was in Canada, the effect will be worse in members and revenue.

FlabLoser
05-24-2013, 01:16 AM
BOT - a MSU spokesperson, which is what Wyatt is, shouldn't comment on controversial non-MSU topics in public.

Political Hack
05-24-2013, 06:11 AM
BOT - a MSU spokesperson, which is what Wyatt is, shouldn't comment on controversial non-MSU topics in public.

Agreed. He going to rip women who have had abortions next? Or tell gun owners with 100 round clips that they're a nuisance and a risk to society? Tell people who agree with the death penalty that they're not good Christians?

While these views probably arent consistent with his, if he continues this, slowly but surely, he'll lose the fanbase.

dawgoneyall
05-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Just a question. Are you gay?

Would help if people know where you are coming from.

dawgoneyall
05-24-2013, 06:22 AM
BTW, leave it on the political board.

Quaoarsking
05-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Regarding the Boy Scouts decision, it was stupid from a business standpoint. In their own study, 62% opposed the change, some were undecided, and a much smaller percentage supported the change. In their own studies, BSA will lose 200,000 to 400,000 scouts in the US and over $30 million annually in revenue. If the effect in the US is like it was in Canada, the effect will be worse in members and revenue.

200,000 Scouts will quit because the BSA acknowledges that it has gay members? That's a huge overstatement.

But to anyone who actually does quit over this: good riddance.

Hump4Hoops
05-24-2013, 07:14 AM
You need to differentiate between discrimination and disagreement -- and disagreement and intolerance. You went EXTREMELY hyperbolic in that statement in a way that presents those that simply disagree with the lifestyle for whatever reason(religious, etc...) as some sort of hate-mongers. Your statement tries to paint it as a clear-cut issue -- when it isn't. It is PERFECTLY normal for people to disagree with that lifestyle and not hate or persecute the people that participate in it -- and who are you, or anyone else, to condemn their disagreement? That essentially exhibits exactly what your first post rallied against... from the other side of the fence...

MY God teaches that homosexuality is a sin. HE also preaches tolerance for everyone of all races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, etc. It is my job to do what I can to do what I can to "live up to" my OWN beliefs -- but it is NOT my job to hold my belief system over anyone else's head and force their conformation to it. So that puts me directly in the middle ground on an issue where BOTH sides try to paint me into a corner that I have no desire to be in -- and to be honest, I'm getting very worn down by being beaten up on both sides of the issue.

I agree that people can disagree all they want. but when you're agreeing with discrimination, that's a not simple disagreement.

PMDawg
05-24-2013, 07:44 AM
"No - if you choose to be a public figure, keep your private opinions to yourself.

You're certainly free to say it, but don't be surprised when people get pissed"

riiiiight. Matt Damon, George Clooney, Oprah, Alec Baldwin, etc. etc. etc. approve this post.

What you meant to say is "if you choose to be a public figure, and you're conservative, keep your private opinions to yourself". Well, maybe YOU didn't mean that, but that's pretty much the liberal mantra these days. And a lot of conservatives accept that for some reason and go along with it.

PMDawg
05-24-2013, 07:52 AM

slow clap brother, slow clap....

Bo Darville
05-24-2013, 08:15 AM

You bring up some good points. My only sibling is gay. I do not agree with his lifestyle. But I'm not a homophobe (I don't fear him or gays). I'm not intolerant or discriminate against him. I love him. He keeps my kids some. He comes to my house and I go to his. We get along great. But I do not agree with his lifestyle choice and he knows it. He and I disagree on that matter. You can definitely disagree without discriminating or hating someone.

Political Hack
05-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Just a question. Are you gay?

Would help if people know where you are coming from.

Me? No, I think most people know who I am, that I have a wife and kids, how much money I make (although that got that one wrong), where I work, my social security number, underwear size, etc...

But I have several friends and family that are gay and I think no less of their morality because of it. It bothers me when others do think less of them because of their sexual orientation. It doesn't define them to themselves, but it does to other close minded people... and that's sad. Just my opinion and doesn't have to be yours.

Again though, the point of this thread is should representatives of our university be spouting off political, social, and religious positions as ideals? I hate it when Freeze does it and don't like it when Wyatt did it. Regardless of their position, they hav to identify themselves as a representative of our entire fanbase. Distancing any segment of thy population is divisive and uneccessary. It accomplishes nothing.

M.Fillmore
05-24-2013, 10:18 AM
200,000 Scouts will quit because the BSA acknowledges that it has gay members? That's a huge overstatement.

But to anyone who actually does quit over this: good riddance.

I am simply quoting BSA internal studies. If you read my post as to what happened in Canada when the Canadian BSA made a similar change, this number could easily be worse.

As to your statement of good riddance, how invested are you in the BSA? It has been a great organization for over 100 years and a huge loss in membership would be devastating to what has been a great organization.

Goat Holder
05-24-2013, 10:28 AM
It's his opinion, nobody should be offended by it. I am old school though, I think this country is full of pussies.

Goat Holder
05-24-2013, 10:31 AM
so gay kids were never in the boy scouts until today? Who gives a shit if jesse and jason are 14 and jacking each other off in their tent? WTF do does it matter. I was trying to finger bang my GF when I was 13 at the movies while watching titanic.

It all boils down to something people are "sick" to see. Your 15 year old wants to bang vag. If he wants to bang dick, it isnt really that different.

Edit - I was in the boy scouts. I can never phathom the point where anything I did there would go sexual. I was a kid that wanted to camp. Sex, even if I was gay, was last on my mind. I wanted to whittle the fastest wood cart there was.....

You're correct. It shouldn't even be an issue. Even with the Scout leaders.....who cares if they are gay? If you molest a kid, you're a pedophile, period. My deal is why is this being celebrated? Why do gays have to be 'open'?