PDA

View Full Version : This is what treating games like scrimmages does

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2014, 03:45 PM
https://twitter.com/claytravisbgid/status/509066374623526912

Props to Cadaver for bringing this up. MSU fans and myself can't complain about the perception of our football program any longer when we treat games like scrimmages. I obviously disagree with Clay Travis' rankings here, but we can't complain about them. No football program shoots itself in the foot more often, in terms of building a positive perception, than MSU. Give credit to Ole Miss. I believe we are better than them, but they layed the hammer down on a bad team. We did not, and thus we can't complain when people don't buy into us being any good.

Stuff like this doesn't help recruiting or fan support. MSU doesn't get any hype because MSU doesn't do anything worthy of receiving hype.

As long as we continue to run our football program like a church league basketball team, Little League baseball team, or a 5th grade science fair, we won't ever get any hype.

The only way we can get it is by beating top 10 teams.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2014, 03:50 PM
You're right.

But cue people telling you that these articles mean nothing, and "who cares about perception"....

And then cue those same people bitching about our lack of media coverage, or bias towards OM the next time an article is written.

EnterpriseDawg
09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Yep, Dan needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. He is either going to look like a genius or pretty stupid for the crap he has pulled thus far. What if we had a legit team, this crap is pulling us in the wrong direction in the polls.

thf24
09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I'd also argue that your last sentence makes the rest of your post irrelevant. If we beat LSU in Death Valley on national TV, we'll shoot up lists like those and no one will remember that we gave up 34 points and 500 yards to UAB. Also, the screwing around and playing backups early has been just as frustrating for me as anyone, but for all we really know it could be the right thing to do and benefit us down the road. Until it causes Mullen to actually lose a game he should have won, I'm not going to completely write it off as stupid.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2014, 03:56 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I'd also argue that your last sentence makes the rest of your post irrelevant. If we beat LSU in Death Valley on national TV, we'll shoot up lists like those and no one will remember that we gave up 34 points and 500 yards to UAB. Also, the screwing around and playing backups early has been just as frustrating for me as anyone, but for all we really know it could be the right thing to do and benefit us down the road.

You are right, but you can't always rely on having to beat top 10 teams to create a positive perception. With a little flash, MSU may be more attractive to out of state recruits, which in turn gives us a better chance of beating top 10 teams.

MarketingBully01
https://twitter.com/claytravisbgid/status/509066374623526912

Props to Cadaver for bringing this up. MSU fans and myself can't complain about the perception of our football program any longer when we treat games like scrimmages. I obviously disagree with Clay Travis' rankings here, but we can't complain about them. No football program shoots itself in the foot more often, in terms of building a positive perception, than MSU. Give credit to Ole Miss. I believe we are better than them, but they layed the hammer down on a bad team. We did not, and thus we can't complain when people don't buy into us being any good.

Stuff like this doesn't help recruiting or fan support. MSU doesn't get any hype because MSU doesn't do anything worthy of receiving hype.

As long as we continue to run our football program like a church league basketball team, Little League baseball team, or a 5th grade science fair, we won't ever get any hype.

The only way we can get it is by beating top 10 teams.

Blame Dan not the fans. I hated how he coached Saturday's game. He all but singularly made us irrelevant by his handling of the game last Saturday. With that said, he has a chance to redeem himself in the stretch of games of @LSU, A&M and Auburn. It's put up or shut up time for Dan Mullen and it begins after this weekend.

TrapGame
Clay Travis has bad mouthed MSU on Weiner's show every time he's on.

bluelightstar
Perception absolutely matters. We are not being talked about positively at all this week. Much easier to stay ranked than to get ranked. Having what voters will see as a 'close game' with UAB is not how you get ranked. Meanwhile, Ole Miss is getting Gameday based off nothing but perception and hype.

EnterpriseDawg
09-08-2014, 03:59 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I'd also argue that your last sentence makes the rest of your post irrelevant. If we beat LSU in Death Valley on national TV, we'll shoot up lists like those and no one will remember that we gave up 34 points and 500 yards to UAB. Also, the screwing around and playing backups early has been just as frustrating for me as anyone, but for all we really know it could be the right thing to do and benefit us down the road. Until it causes Mullen to actually lose a game he should have won, I'm not going to completely write it off as stupid.

No it will not. You know how it works by now. IF we beat LSU it will be a fluke or LSU on a down year. The best way to climb up the polls is with consistancy.

bluelightstar
09-08-2014, 04:02 PM
In fact, most people I've talked to this week have had the same reaction: "Yeah, some dark-horse State is. Struggling with UAB in Starkville sure doesn't look good for you guys winning SEC West games!" Whether that ends up being true or not, it is certainly going to depress any hype our team gets from other people.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Perception absolutely matters. We are not being talked about positively at all this week. Much easier to stay ranked than to get ranked. Having what voters will see as a 'close game' with UAB is not how you get ranked. Meanwhile, Ole Miss is getting Gameday based off nothing but perception and hype.

Yup

Dan doesn't value perception and believes its irrelevant, but this isn't the NFL where all that matters is wins and loses. College football is different due to the subjectivness of recruiting and who plays in what bowl game. Perception matters in this sport, and Ole Miss understands this.

They are going to get Gameday, which will further help their recruiting, off the perception of a recruiting class. Think about that.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Clay Travis is such a dumb ass Tennessee homer. When Tennessee not just loses but gets beat Oregonesque like they did last year to Oklahoma this weekend, people will realize Tennessee isn't as good as idiots think they are. Having Kentucky ahead of us is idiotic as well. They only scored 20 points on a shitty Ohio team....I'd put us at around 9th ahead of both Tennessee and Kentucky but behind Florida for right now. Clay Travis is a blow hard and a joke...I bet he is glad he didn't take that $10K bet of saying that the Vandy-MSU game will be a one score game.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2014, 04:04 PM
You are right, but you can't always rely on having to beat top 10 teams to create a positive perception. With a little flash, MSU may be more attractive to out of state recruits, which in turn gives us a better chance of beating top 10 teams.

Exactly. Not sure why people don't get this. The reason OM has recruiting classes like they have in the past, and why they yearly are a "a sleeper in the West", is because they win the perception game. Outside of beating LSU occasionally because LSU thinks they're USM, Ole miss never beats good teams. Yet, they beat the shit out of Vandy, Boise, a down Texas team, etc.

If that had been us against Boise with a 7-6 lead going into the 4th and our defense playing great....you can bet your ass Dan Mullen would have gone conservative and if we won, we'd have won 7-6 or 10-6 (scratch that, we ain't making a FG). We have no killer instinct or desire to improve our national perception from our head coach. It's frustrating.

engie
09-08-2014, 04:06 PM
No it will not. You know how it works by now. IF we beat LSU it will be a fluke or LSU on a down year. The best way to climb up the polls is with consistancy.

You are wrong.

People will talk about reality. Reality is the only two QBs that have won in Death Valley at night in a decade are Tim Tebow and AJ McCarron. We win @ LSU at night and we're top 15 the very next day.

cheewgumm
09-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Beat LSU = problem solved

Lose to LSU = we are who they think we are

EnterpriseDawg
You are wrong.

People will talk about reality. Reality is the only two QBs that have won in Death Valley at night in a decade are Tim Tebow and AJ McCarron. We win @ LSU at night and we're top 15 the very next day.

How did it work out for us beating Florida in the swamp at night?

Goat Holder

We've already done all that flashy stuff. Letters with swag, hashtags, godzillatron, varying the uniforms, etc. All that's left is it beat somebody.

Ole Miss is receiving all their hype because they beat #6 LSU last year. And a solid Texas team. That's EXACTLY how you get hype. Beat people on the big stage.

bluelightstar
09-08-2014, 04:10 PM

That Florida team was #22 when we beat them and had already taken it on the chin from Alabama and lost to LSU. May have already had loss #3 before we played them -- I don't remember. Beating LSU right now while they are #10 in the country will do way more for us.

Goat Holder
09-08-2014, 04:10 PM

Florida wasn't even ranked I don't think.

Even still, we got a shit load of hype after 2010, going into 2011. And we blew it all at Auburn.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 04:12 PM
You are wrong.

Engie is absolutely correct. LSU will likely be top 8 when we play them with the win over ULM this weekend. If we beat LSU, we will probably be close to Ole Miss' ranking when we play A&M and that match up would be a 14/7 prime time ESPN game again depending on if Ole Miss closes the deal and remains undefeated before Alabama.

DistrictDawg92
09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
I care about our national and regional perception as much as anyone, however, don't care too much about it right now. We go into Baton Rouge and come out with a win and everyone and their momma forgets very quickly about the UAB game.

BeardoMSU
09-08-2014, 04:15 PM
We've already done all that flashy stuff. Letters with swag, hashtags, godzillatron, varying the uniforms, etc. All that's left is it beat somebody.

Ole Miss is receiving all their hype because they beat #6 LSU last year. And a solid Texas team. That's EXACTLY how you get hype. Beat people on the big stage.

An LSU team that wasn't the 6th best team in the nation, and proved it that night.
A sold Texas team? The week prior to OM, they gave up a gazillion yards on the ground to the powerhouse known as BYU, then get embarrassed at home to what would be a 7-5 OM team, all whilst being coached by a lame duck.

Irondawg
09-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Look I get it but we're mad at Dan and the perception for two reasons:

1) Our pass defense gave up a ton of big plans and thus UAB scored 33 instead of 13-17. We win 47-17 and it looks like the blowout it should have been. And it wasn't the backups getting toasted, it was Calhoun and Redmond.

2) Damien didn't look great overall for the 2nd game in a row. Two weeks in a row he handed him the car keys with the game not sewn up and said , go get me a score and he hasn't done it. So the only times so far he's produced in 4 games is the Ark game and when the USM game was out of hand. Had he produced some drives or points we'd all be talking about our great QB depth and how good it is that he's getting quality reps.

In the UAB game I really think Dan wanted Damien to lead a scoring drive or two, have Dak play about 3-4 series in the first half and then rest. It didn't unwrap that way and when he needed to Dan rolled with Dak and our bread and butter plays in the second half.

Damien is most likely going to have to play in some SEC games, if not start some and outside our kicking game, how he's looked overall is one of my bigger concerns.

bluelightstar
09-08-2014, 04:17 PM
I care about our national and regional perception as much as anyone, however, don't care too much about it right now. We go into Baton Rouge and come out with a win and everyone and their momma forgets very quickly about the UAB game.

Of course if we beat LSU, then the UAB game is forgotten. However, it's honestly more likely that we lose the game. Then we've lost to LSU and barely beaten UAB -- bad for perception.

bluelightstar
09-08-2014, 04:18 PM
An LSU team that wasn't the 6th best team in the nation, and proved it that night.
A sold Texas team? The week prior to OM, they gave up a gazillion yards on the ground to the powerhouse known as BYU, then get embarrassed at home to what would be a 7-5 OM team, all whilst being coached by a lame duck.

Yes, LSU finished in the Top 15. And whether we want to admit or not, Texas was a game or 2 from winning last year's Big 12.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Of course if we beat LSU, then the UAB game is forgotten. However, it's honestly more likely that we lose the game. Then we've lost to LSU and barely beaten UAB -- bad for perception.

Yep.

MadDawg
09-08-2014, 04:20 PM

Damn, you are right. How come we can't play over-rated teams like that? oh wait.....

engie
09-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Florida went 8-5. Florida was #22 when we played there. Florida had just got blown out by Alabama and lost to LSU back to back directly before us -- including a loss in the Swamp the week prior. There is a littany of reasons that people called that UF team "down" -- not the least of which was the FACT THAT THEY WERE "DOWN". UF's best win that year? A 7-6 Penn St team.

This thought process that the media is just out to "discredit" MSU is ignorant. They aren't "against" us just because they aren't blowing us for accomplishing something another team accomplished the week before and the continual implication that they are is laughable at best. This LSU team accomplished more in week 1 than that UF team accomplished the entire season.

DudyDawg
Yes, LSU finished in the Top 15. And whether we want to admit or not, Texas was a game or 2 from winning last year's Big 12.

Two games from winning the big twelve isn't saying much. Texas was not a very good team last year. Looks like they aren't this year either.

CadaverDawg
Look I get it but we're mad at Dan and the perception for two reasons:

1) Our pass defense gave up a ton of big plans and thus UAB scored 33 instead of 13-17. We win 47-17 and it looks like the blowout it should have been. And it wasn't the backups getting toasted, it was Calhoun and Redmond.

2) Damien didn't look great overall for the 2nd game in a row. Two weeks in a row he handed him the car keys with the game not sewn up and said , go get me a score and he hasn't done it. So the only times so far he's produced in 4 games is the Ark game and when the USM game was out of hand. Had he produced some drives or points we'd all be talking about our great QB depth and how good it is that he's getting quality reps.

In the UAB game I really think Dan wanted Damien to lead a scoring drive or two, have Dak play about 3-4 series in the first half and then rest. It didn't unwrap that way and when he needed to Dan rolled with Dak and our bread and butter plays in the second half.

Damien is most likely going to have to play in some SEC games, if not start some and outside our kicking game, how he's looked overall is one of my bigger concerns.

If Dan would allow Damien to run the Relf offense instead of the Prescott offense, Damien would be more effective. Work on Damien's passing in the offseason. If he has to come in this season, he isn't winning us any games with his arm....he will have to do it the way Relf did it. So Dan needs to quit wasting time, during actual games, working on Damien's passing. And I will say this again...we have a starter that only went 12-25 last weekend, so maybe we should be sharpening our first pencil instead of worrying about how sharp the #2 is if the #1 gets broken.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Florida went 8-5. Florida was #22 when we played there. Florida had just got blown out by Alabama and lost to LSU back to back directly before us -- including a loss in the Swamp the week prior. There is a littany of reasons that people called that UF team "down" -- not the least of which was the FACT THAT THEY WERE "DOWN". UF's best win that year? A 7-6 Penn St team.

This thought process that the media is just out to "discredit" MSU is ignorant. They aren't "against" us just because they aren't blowing us for accomplishing something another team accomplished the week before and the continual implication that they are is laughable at best. This LSU team accomplished more in week 1 than that UF team accomplished the entire season.

Who said they were "against us"? We're saying we need to give them a reason to be "for us". They were high on Dak and our team all off season, and have been talking about the LSU game...and then we go look like shit due to our coach, against UAB, and now the media has nothing to say because they feel confident after Saturday that we have no chance in Death Valley. So for the next two weeks we get to hear about OM vs Bama, instead of MSU vs LSU....because the last thing any media member wants, is to look like a jackass by predicting us to compete with LSU at night in Death Valley after we just struggled with UAB at home.

Nobody is saying the media is against us. They just aren't for us. Because we give them no reason to be.

Everybody wants to see Dak, so they turn on their TV's and get.....well....Damien.
Everybody wants to see what these WR's can do and how much of a challenge we will be for LSU, and.....well...we look like shit vs UAB
Everybody wants to see this dual threat Heisman candidate, and they get....to see him every other series and therefore his timing and rhythm are off so he looks underwhelming.

We give the nation no reason to expect us to compete against good teams, or to build up hype for a big matchup...because we don't take care of business when we have the opportunity.

That's what we're saying....or I am at least.

BeardoMSU
09-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Damn, you are right. How come we can't play over-rated teams like that? oh wait.....

Look, I'm not saying LSU wasn't good. It doesn't matter what LSU is ranked when we play them, as we always seem to find a way to shit the bed. I'm just saying that beating LSU does not make the OM perception legitimate.
Take our game 1 vs. OkieState: we played that team at the worst possible time - had we played them later in the year, once we had an identity on Offense, we'd have looked a hell of a lot different. Shit, I bet the Relf offense could have beaten that team to start the year, we just didn't have any flow trying to get Tyler to play this half-ass-spread read-option-without the option nonsense.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Who said they were "against us"? We're saying we need to give them a reason to be "for us". They were high on Dak and our team all off season, and have been talking about the LSU game...and then we go look like shit due to our coach, against UAB, and now the media has nothing to say because they feel confident after Saturday that we have no chance in Death Valley. So for the next two weeks we get to hear about OM vs Bama, instead of MSU vs LSU....because the last thing any media member wants, is to look like a jackass by predicting us to compete with LSU at night in Death Valley after we just struggled with UAB at home.

Nobody is saying the media is against us. They just aren't for us. Because we give them no reason to be.

Everybody wants to see Dak, so they turn on their TV's and get.....well....Damien.
Everybody wants to see what these WR's can do and how much of a challenge we will be for LSU, and.....well...we look like shit vs UAB
Everybody wants to see this dual threat Heisman candidate, and they get....to see him every other series and therefore his timing and rhythm are off so he looks underwhelming.

We give the nation no reason to expect us to compete against good teams, or to build up hype for a big matchup...because we don't take care of business when we have the opportunity.

When Tim Couch is making comments and saying Dak needs to be playing instead of Damien, there is a problem....

BeardoMSU
09-08-2014, 04:35 PM

I agree with all of this.

This woe is me attitude that many State fans have is stupid. There isn't some conspiracy preventing us from attaining whatever greatness we want. If we want respect, we have to earn it. It can start by beating LSU.

The ranking snubs do come into play, though, and its nobody's fault but ours. If we hadn't played like shit against UAB, we'd probably be ranked. Once ranked it's much easier to stay ranked, granted you keep winning. But now, since we looked like shit, we'll get ranked just in time to go to Death Valley. And the thing is, there is absolutely no shame in losing to a good LSU team, on the road, at night, in one of the most hostile places in the country. But with us, the perception has always been: "Dan can't beat a ranked team" - which he hasn't; "MSU is always hyped up just to lose to the big boys" - which we do; "they just can't get over the hump" - which we don't. It's the same story every year, and unless we start beating some of these guys, it won't change.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2014, 04:38 PM
When Tim Couch is making comments and saying Dak needs to be playing instead of Damien, there is a problem....

Yep.

Believe it or not, I feel like the sports media wants us to do well and compete in the SEC. They like MSU and Mullen, and Dak, and cowbells, and our fans. But we have let them down so many times against both good teams AND bad teams, that nobody is going to attach their name to a bold prediction for MSU without being really damn confident about us. What we did Saturday pretty much knocked any confidence out, and now we have to beat a damn national power, or else,we're just same ole MSU that played a weak ass schedule. And I don't know about y'all, but even if we go 8-4, we aren't the same ole MSU. Dak is a stud, and our defense is legit. So I'm tired of our own coach turning people off from wanting to dig deeper into MSU and realize these things. Let's go out there and beat some ass in these first 3 games, and leave people saying, DAMN! This MSU team looks for real. They aren't playing down to their competition like they normally do. They look like they're on a mission. We sure as hell aren't getting those comments this week after the sub fest shit show we trotted out there Saturday.

CadaverDawg
09-08-2014, 04:44 PM
I agree with all of this.

This woe is me attitude that many State fans have is stupid. There isn't some conspiracy preventing us from attaining whatever greatness we want. If we want respect, we have to earn it. It can start by beating LSU.

The ranking snubs do come into play, though, and its nobody's fault but ours. If we hadn't played like shit against UAB, we'd probably be ranked. Once ranked it's much easier to stay ranked, granted you keep winning. But now, since we looked like shit, we'll get ranked just in time to go to Death Valley. And the thing is, there is absolutely no shame in losing to a good LSU team, on the road, at night, in one of the most hostile places in the country. But with us, the perception has always been: "Dan can't beat a ranked team" - which he hasn't; "MSU is always hyped up just to lose to the big boys" - which we do; "they just can't get over the hump" - which we don't. It's the same story every year, and unless we start beating some of these guys, it won't change.

Exactly.

For example, when Ole Miss loses to Bama, they will drop from #9 to #15 or something like that. If we lose a tight one to LSU, we'll drop from unranked to further unranked. Are we really that far behind OM? Hell no. But in the media's eyes we are. Why? Because we didn't even take care of business against UAB without a struggle.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we BEAT LSU, and OM lost to Alabama, and they were still ranked ahead of us. Especially if their loss is close. And if that happens, maybe you guys that don't believe in perception will get a wake up call with a dose of that perception becoming reality

EAVdog
09-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Everyone loves it when Mullen develops 2-3 star kids into good quality SEC talent. Letting them get meaningful reps in the UAB/USM/USA type games is how you develop kids.

Mullen didn't call the Defense and he doesn't play safety. He isn't the reason they got those TD's.

If you want to bitch about kicking well go right ahead.

I have already wasted enough time worrying about something that Clay Travis wrote. Either we win our Conference games or we don't perception be damned.

EAVdog
09-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we BEAT LSU, and OM lost to Alabama, and they were still ranked ahead of us. Especially if their loss is close. And if that happens, maybe you guys that don't believe in perception will get a wake up call with a dose of that perception becoming reality[/QUOTE]

Could very well happen. OM could also lose every game in that 5 game stretch.

What do you think will happen if we end up with a much better record at the end of the year than OM and win the Egg Bowl?

chef dixon
It sucks its only Monday.

Its all about what you do in your last game. Missouri struggled to beat Directional State week 1 and now because they beat TOLEDO on the road, I've been watching Finebaum pump sunshine up their ass. LSU, Bama, Ole Miss are all back to their preseason hype based on this past weekend, long forgetting their struggles during week 1. If you suck during a week you get dogged by the media for a week, but hey we still won, which means it can be forgotten. A loss doesn't go away.

EnterpriseDawg
Look where LSU stands on most of the SEC power rankings. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this crap before. IF we beat them it won't be about us beating them, but rather what's wrong with LSU. The only difference between LSU and that Florida team is that LSU hasn't played anyone ranked.

ETA Didn't see your stat engie to after this post. That was a down Florida team. I just remember it being the first time we beat Florida in the swamp and the first time we beat Georgia in forever and still no hype. Just wondering where it has to begin to get the thing spinning in the right direction. Just believe that the UAB game set up back a little from reaching that goal.

BeardoMSU
09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Exactly.

For example, when Ole Miss loses to Bama, they will drop from #9 to #15 or something like that. If we lose a tight one to LSU, we'll drop from unranked to further unranked. Are we really that far behind OM? Hell no. But in the media's eyes we are. Why? Because we didn't even take care of business against UAB without a struggle.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we BEAT LSU, and OM lost to Alabama, and they were still ranked ahead of us. Especially if their loss is close. And if that happens, maybe you guys that don't believe in perception will get a wake up call with a dose of that perception becoming reality

Yup.

Not only that, but we could lose to LSU, which as I said before, is nothing to be ashamed of, then go on to beat A&M and Auburn. Would the perception of us rise? Probably, but not nearly as much as if we beat LSU on THAT stage. We could go 2-1 in that stretch, and I'd be ecstatic, but how we go 2-1 will very much influence the media's perception of us, though it shouldn't, because that stretch is daunting to say the least.

Liverpooldawg
09-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Beat LSU = problem solved

Lose to LSU = we are who they think we are

First part it totally true. The second part maybe, maybe not. A LOT of great teams have lost down there.

BeardoMSU
09-08-2014, 04:54 PM
First part it totally true. The second part maybe, maybe not. A LOT of great teams have lost down there.

We'd be "who they think we are" for a week. But then....we'd have a perfect opportunity to show everyone that losing in BR isn't a big deal by beating a very good A&M and Auburn. That would right the ship....but it would still suck ass having to spend that week listening to everyone throw us under the trailer and talk about how we never live up to the hype. I imagine most of our fans would reach that insufferable level of self-loathing and hatred that we've all come to love.

Ultimately, there are numerous routes for this team to get to 9-3/10-2; does one of those routes involve beating LSU? Sure, but it's not the only way. That's why we play 12 games.

EAVdog
09-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Yup.

Not only that, but we could lose to LSU, which as I said before, is nothing to be ashamed of, then go on to beat A&M and Auburn. Would the perception of us rise? Probably, but not nearly as much as if we beat LSU on THAT stage. We could go 2-1 in that stretch, and I'd be ecstatic, but how we go 2-1 will very much influence the media's perception of us, though it shouldn't, because that stretch is daunting to say the least.

If we beat LSU at Baton Rouge at Night you can damn well guarantee that the National Media will just say that LSU is down due to all the players they lost to the NFL. There will be the same few MSU/Mullen/Dak friendly media guys but they won't get on their knees to worship us any time soon.

Long term Winning is the only thing that will improve out perception.

engie
09-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Who said they were "against us"?
Did you read what I quoted? The obvious implication was that there is a distinct slant to discredit MSU by the media. Even used UF as a reference of a bias.

We're saying we need to give them a reason to be "for us".
I wasn't arguing this point at all. I agree with that.

Ultimately, style points and hype before the LSU game will be negligible once we leave that stadium either way. The UAB game was certainly less than ideal -- but we have a chance to recapture that momentum this weekend against a team that is better than UAB.

They were high on Dak and our team all off season, and have been talking about the LSU game...and then we go look like shit due to our coach, against UAB, and now the media has nothing to say because they feel confident after Saturday that we have no chance in Death Valley.
OM looked like shit against Boise. Yet they recaptured all their hype against a Vandy team that may be the worst in the SEC in the past decade. We blow out South Alabama like we're supposed to and it all goes back to a hugely hyped game. Bottom line is -- Dak is the 3rd most overall productive QB in FBS according to fantasy points -- and is tied for the national lead in TD passes. Dak is as advertised -- and we're going to hear alot about that before the LSU game regardless of whether they question our secondary and overall ability to win or not. Those things aren't mutually inclusive. Media doesn't "believe" because every time they've gone out on a limb and got behind us, we've burned them. Literally every single time under Mullen.

So for the next two weeks we get to hear about OM vs Bama, instead of MSU vs LSU....because the last thing any media member wants, is to look like a jackass by predicting us to compete with LSU at night in Death Valley after we just struggled with UAB at home.
You do realize that OM/Bama and MSU/LSU are two different weekends, right? There isn't going to be anyone talking about OM/Bama 2 weeks out. Auburn/KState? Bama/UF? Sure.

This the performance that everyone is calling underwhelming? The one where the guy had the 2nd most productive offensive week in the country in terms of fantasy points?
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140908-zkq7-60kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140908-zkq7-60kb)
That should go to show just how incredible our expectations are for him. He was off a little with his passing -- but in typical Dak fashion, he got better as he got closer to the endzone and the pressure went up -- and I expect the same to be true in DV...

I agree with you. I guess I just really don't give a shit about the "hype" leading into Death Valley. I care about the hype leaving. Win that and everything is fine. I've still not seen anything to make me think that can't happen. I'm going to be there to find out...

EAVdog
09-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Did you read what I quoted? The obvious implication was that there is a distinct slant to discredit MSU by the media. Even used UF as a reference of a bias.

I wasn't arguing this point at all. I agree with that.

Ultimately, style points and hype before the LSU game will be negligible once we leave that stadium either way. The UAB game was certainly less than ideal -- but we have a chance to recapture that momentum this weekend against a team that is better than UAB.

OM looked like shit against Boise. Yet they recaptured all their hype against a Vandy team that may be the worst in the SEC in the past decade. We blow out South Alabama like we're supposed to and it all goes back to a hugely hyped game. Bottom line is -- Dak is the 3rd most overall productive QB in FBS according to fantasy points -- and is tied for the national lead in TD passes. Dak is as advertised -- and we're going to hear alot about that before the LSU game regardless of whether they question our secondary and overall ability to win or not. Those things aren't mutually inclusive. Media doesn't "believe" because every time they've gone out on a limb and got behind us, we've burned them. Literally every single time under Mullen.

You do realize that OM/Bama and MSU/LSU are two different weekends, right? There isn't going to be anyone talking about OM/Bama 2 weeks out. Auburn/KState? Bama/UF? Sure.

This the performance that everyone is calling underwhelming? The one where the guy had the 2nd most productive offensive week in the country in terms of fantasy points?
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140908-zkq7-60kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140908-zkq7-60kb)
That should go to show just how incredible our expectations are for him. He was off a little with his passing -- but in typical Dak fashion, he got better as he got closer to the endzone and the pressure went up -- and I expect the same to be true in DV...

I agree with you. I guess I just really don't give a shit about the "hype" leading into Death Valley. I care about the hype leaving. Win that and everything is fine. I've still not seen anything to make me think that can't happen. I'm going to be there to find out...

Hell Win the SEC West, or come damn close and perception won't mean shit.

engie
09-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Exactly.

OM/Bama will not be close. I don't see the reason to get my panties in a wad about them getting a big stage to play on -- when I have rarely been more confident in the results that will come from it. Vandy ran for 4.28ypc average against OM when OM KNEW they couldn't throw it AT ALL. Had 13 rushes for 65 yards in the first half. I've seen nothing to imply that they can stop a bruising run game -- Bama is an absolute nightmare matchup for them.

engie
09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Look where LSU stands on most of the SEC power rankings. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this crap before. IF we beat them it won't be about us beating them, but rather what's wrong with LSU. The only difference between LSU and that Florida team is that LSU hasn't played anyone ranked.

ETA Didn't see your stat engie to after this post. That was a down Florida team. I just remember it being the first time we beat Florida in the swamp and the first time we beat Georgia in forever and still no hype. Just wondering where it has to begin to get the thing spinning in the right direction. Just believe that the UAB game set up back a little from reaching that goal.

Hype from dismantling a terrible MSU stat isn't the same thing as national hype. Winning in Arkansas was big -- as was winning the first SEC game of the year in 2012 for the first time in over a decade. But those things don't make good talking points to the national media -- even though I cherish them and the rate at which Mullen has erased them. Now it's time to erase a few more...

BTW: http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140908-hfqk-18kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140908-hfqk-18kb)

Chinchilla
09-08-2014, 05:16 PM

Um, we ended the season as a top 15 team, despite having four losses. I'm not sure what more you wanted.

EAVdog
09-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Um, we ended the season as a top 15 team, despite having four losses. I'm not sure what more you wanted.

Come on man, that makes too much sense. Mullen doesn't have a 'signature' win etc.... rabble rabble rabble.

IMissJack
09-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Amen and amen. I know some on here live out of MS, but for those of you who don't this "perception" is multiplied every time we do this kind of thing. Noone that is not connected to MSU in Houston, TX cares to see anything but the score and lines on games. And, what they see is A&M winning 70-3, Ark 73-3, etc. Then boom MSU gives up 34 to a team no one could name the mascot to. Perception means a lot to recruits.

engie
09-08-2014, 05:30 PM
If we beat LSU at Baton Rouge at Night you can damn well guarantee that the National Media will just say that LSU is down due to all the players they lost to the NFL. There will be the same few MSU/Mullen/Dak friendly media guys but they won't get on their knees to worship us any time soon.

No they won't. It's already been proven untrue with the Wisconsin win. LSU goes 8-5 and that discredits the win DOWN THE ROAD. They haven't and aren't going to disprove it in advance like UF did. Beating them down there does not diminish anything. AT ALL. And for at least two weeks -- Dak is on a stage only shared by Tim Tebow and AJ McCarron -- and you can bet your ass everyone in the country would be talking about it and bracing for an aTm game that would be the biggest in Starkville in a decade. MSU/aTm and OM/Bama could EASILY be the two biggest games in the country in week 6 -- and even when OM gets Gameday, we could steal a whole bunch of their thunder by being just as meaningful of game on the same stage. The beauty being that we potentially get a night ESPN game in Davis Wade while they are 2:30 on CBS. I'll take the night game every time.

Like has already been said -- we win in Baton Rouge and the hype takes care of itself.

EnterpriseDawg
09-08-2014, 06:30 PM

Four less losses and a NC...I'm a greedy bastard so what lol