PDA

View Full Version : Penn State bowl ban lifted

FlabLoser
09-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Young boys were anally raped at Penn State. Penn State was bowl-banned just one game longer than Will Redmond. They got other punishment as well. But the length of their punishment was barely over what Will Redmond got for frankly one of the smaller infractions that I've ever read about.

We need a better compliance department.

Tough Dawg
09-08-2014, 01:41 PM
It's been a good 15 days or so for James Franklin.

mstatefan91
09-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Fire Bracky Brett

EAVdog
09-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Hire really good lawyers.

Do whatever the hell you want.

TrapGame
09-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Wow.

I wonder what that $et the big money alum$ back.

Have a "rogue booster" and all Hell breaks loose, rape a few boys and all will be forgiven in quick time.

Quaoarsking
09-08-2014, 01:57 PM
What a ****ing disgrace.

It would be one thing if the Penn State fanbase "got it" that Joe Paterno was a bad human being worthy of no one's praise, but most of those drones want his statue back up and insist he did nothing wrong. That's not a fanbase that deserves a bowl team.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2014, 02:17 PM
I be willing to bet the Big 10 made a big push for this. That conference sucks and could possibly be left out of the first 4 team play off. Penn state might be their only chance this year.

BulldogBear
09-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah, it's a travesty that USC, Miami, and Penn State are even fielding football teams this season.

Supposedly USC was worse than ALL PREVOIUS NCAA VIOLATIONS COMBINED in the history of collegiate athletics. Supposedly Miami made USC violations look like chewing gum in class. And the Penn State child pimping. Okay, no death penalty then. I don't really believe in it anyway. BUT, how are these guys not being limited to 23 scholarships per roster for about 10 years. Why are they winning football games. WT17? NCAA is a joke. They talk big and then back down from actually laying the wood.

War Machine Dawg
09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but it was never the NCAA's place to step into the situation in the first place. It was a criminal matter to be handled by the justice system. What NCAA rule did Penn State violate to trigger sanctions? Zero, near as I can tell. Tons of criminal laws were broken, and those responsible should spend the rest of their lives rotting in a prison. Death was too good a fate for Joe Pa. But it has never been an NCAA issue. Go ahead, rip me. I know it's coming.

mstatefan91
09-08-2014, 03:25 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but it was never the NCAA's place to step into the situation in the first place. It was a criminal matter to be handled by the justice system. What NCAA rule did Penn State violate to trigger sanctions? Zero, near as I can tell. Tons of criminal laws were broken, and those responsible should spend the rest of their lives rotting in a prison. Death was too good a fate for Joe Pa. But it has never been an NCAA issue. Go ahead, rip me. I know it's coming.

I actually agree. I'm sure many don't. It always seemed to me an example of the NCAA overstepping their bounds.

RattStevens
09-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Some of these young men were prospective student athletes. Improper benefits to prospective student athletes:

* Free travel to bowl games
* Free meals
* Cash
* Penn State clothing and accessories
* Free d*ck in the ass

engie
09-08-2014, 03:51 PM

I agree in the initial tense...

However, the timing of "reversal" of sanctions the very damn next business day after the 3 "torchbearers" for the conference go down and virtually assure the B1G has no prayer at the playoff is suspect as hell. A week earlier when Ohio St and Michigan St still have legitimate shots and it doesn't seem as laughably sketchy to me.

Quaoarsking
09-08-2014, 05:49 PM

If the NCAA is going to have rules at all, "don't cover up child rape" should be near the top...

Penn State fans needed the death penalty for a few years to get their priorities straight. Most of those freaks still think JoePa was a great man. Personally, I would have given them an indefinite death penalty that would only be lifted once it was clear that the fans "got it." I guarantee Joe's statue will be back up in a few years.

Dawg61
09-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Some of these young men were prospective student athletes. Improper benefits to prospective student athletes:

* Free travel to bowl games
* Free meals
* Cash
* Penn State clothing and accessories
* Free d*ck in the ass

I shouldn't laugh but hahahaha I just know when I see your avatar I am about to read something hilariously wrong

dawgs
09-08-2014, 06:00 PM

100% agree and said as much on here when the Sandusky shit was going down.

dawgs
09-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Yeah, it's a travesty that USC, Miami, and Penn State are even fielding football teams this season.

Supposedly USC was worse than ALL PREVOIUS NCAA VIOLATIONS COMBINED in the history of collegiate athletics. Supposedly Miami made USC violations look like chewing gum in class. And the Penn State child pimping. Okay, no death penalty then. I don't really believe in it anyway. BUT, how are these guys not being limited to 23 scholarships per roster for about 10 years. Why are they winning football games. WT17? NCAA is a joke. They talk big and then back down from actually laying the wood.

USC actually got screwed. They got hammered because their coaches should have known about reggie bush's agent dealings, but there was never any proof that they actually did know, and they got the stiffest penalties since at least the auburn and ole miss penalties of the early 90s, and maybe since the smu death penalty of the 80s. And yet Miami and unc appear to have had many more and much more serious violations come to light, and haven't gotten hit with anything yet.

Political Hack
09-08-2014, 06:09 PM
another head scratcher...

1) "we're going to involve ourselves in this and punish them."
2) "maybe we shouldn't punish them so badly though since child rape isn't as serious as an NCAA violation."

kudos NCAA for keeping everyone on their toes with your constant support of kids everywhere.***

Pollodawg
09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
If you had any respect left for the NCAA, (I know, right?) you shouldn't anymore.

DudyDawg
09-08-2014, 06:32 PM
If the NCAA is going to have rules at all, "don't cover up child rape" should be near the top...

Penn State fans needed the death penalty for a few years to get their priorities straight. Most of those freaks still think JoePa was a great man. Personally, I would have given them an indefinite death penalty that would only be lifted once it was clear that the fans "got it." I guarantee Joe's statue will be back up in a few years.

So what you're saying is that universities with delusional fan bases should be punished until they're fans aren't delusional? Come on. It's sports. Very few fans actually "get it" when it comes to their team and heroes. You can't punish schools because of fans and how they think

Dawgcentral
09-08-2014, 06:34 PM
I can't think of anything more horrendous than what Sandusky did to those kids. The only thing that compares is that Paterno and the athletic department knew about it and covered it up.

Any punishment you can come up with is less than they deserve.

Political Hack
09-08-2014, 06:37 PM
I can't think of anything more horrendous than what Sandusky did to those kids. The only thing that compares is that Paterno and the athletic department knew about it and covered it up.

Any punishment you can come up with is less than they deserve.

amen

Quaoarsking
09-08-2014, 07:29 PM
So what you're saying is that universities with delusional fan bases should be punished until they're fans aren't delusional? Come on. It's sports. Very few fans actually "get it" when it comes to their team and heroes. You can't punish schools because of fans and how they think

It's one thing to be delusional about how good a football team is. It's a completely different delusion to think that a man who knew his buddy was a child molester but said nothing for 11 years is a fine, exemplary human being of high moral character.

archdog
09-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Maybe TMZ will release the Sandusky tape next week. That way everyone will know what a 10 year old getting molested by a middle age man is really like. What baffles me about the Rice situation is that everyone saw what happened when he dragged his fiance out of the elevator. What did you think happened in the elevator. Half of everyone was outraged. The other half talked about how Rice was a great guy yadda yadda yadda. Same thing with Penn States fans. Half of them think Joe Pa is a great guy even though he actively condoned young children getting raped by this son of a bitch. So, do we need the video for people to be outraged at Paterno and the PSU administration. Due to their own actions in covering up this to protect the football program, they shouldn't even have a program. They don't deserve to have a program.

Dawg61
09-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Maybe TMZ will release the Sandusky tape next week. That way everyone will know what a 10 year old getting molested by a middle age man is really like. What baffles me about the Rice situation is that everyone saw what happened when he drug his fiance out of the elevator. What did you think happened in the elevator. Half of everyone was outraged. The other half talked about how Rice was a great guy yadda yadda yadda. Same thin with Penn States fans. Half of them think Joe Pa is a great guy even though he actively condoned young children getting raped by this son of a bitch. So, do we need the video for people to be outraged at Paterno and the PSU administration.

I never really studied up on the story but being honest when I saw the first video I thought she was just black out drunk and they had been drinking way too much and he was dragging a passed out girlfriend from the elevator. I thought it was ****ed up but I didn't think much of it. jbh

bluelightstar
09-08-2014, 08:18 PM

100% agree with this. It wasn't the NCAA's place.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Penn State doesn't have a chance in making the playoff.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
09-08-2014, 09:57 PM

I agree with you, and the reversal here is just step one (or step 100 depending on how you keep count) in the death of the NCAA as the law making body of collegiate athletics at large, in my opinion. At this point, they don't enforce, they just do whatever they think is what the public opinion demands. Speaking of, the NFL seems to perhaps be doing the same thing...

DudyDawg
09-08-2014, 10:07 PM
It's one thing to be delusional about how good a football team is. It's a completely different delusion to think that a man who knew his buddy was a child molester but said nothing for 11 years is a fine, exemplary human being of high moral character.

I'm not defending their ridiculous opinion of him. Just that it's stupid to say the NCAA could or should punish a university because of stupid fans

FlabLoser
09-08-2014, 10:48 PM
What a ****ing disgrace.

It would be one thing if the Penn State fanbase "got it" that Joe Paterno was a bad human being worthy of no one's praise, but most of those drones want his statue back up and insist he did nothing wrong. That's not a fanbase that deserves a bowl team.

THIS!!

News of the bowl ban lift has been met with a movement to put Peterno's statue back up.

**** that. Those people still don't get it.

FlabLoser
09-08-2014, 10:53 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but it was never the NCAA's place to step into the situation in the first place. It was a criminal matter to be handled by the justice system. What NCAA rule did Penn State violate to trigger sanctions? .

That's a fair question. The answer is in the NCAA president's letter to Penn State when all this stuff started. I've posted that here and/or on SPS. I'm not going to go back and find it.

The answer is loss if institutional control and also ethics/criminal issues. You have to agree that when a coach is anally raping boys there is a loss of institutional control, especially when the head coach knows about it and does nothing to fix or report it to authorities.

FlabLoser
09-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Goodness. There are more than one or two "wasn't the NCAA's business" people here on ED.

Here is Mark Emmert's letter which clearly lays out the NCAA's case.
http://www.ncaa.com/content/ncaa-letter-penn-state

The shit at Penn State was very much the NCAA's business. Anybody that thinks otherwise isn't up on the NCAA rules regarding the matter. Those rules are clearly laid out in that letter. Read it.

Political Hack
09-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Goodness. There are more than one or two "wasn't the NCAA's business" people here on ED.

Here is Mark Emmert's letter which clearly lays out the NCAA's case.
http://www.ncaa.com/content/ncaa-letter-penn-state

The shit at Penn State was very much the NCAA's business. Anybody that thinks otherwise isn't up on the NCAA rules regarding the matter. Those rules are clearly laid out in that letter. Read it.

It wasn't their business, but they made it their business and levied a punishment. Then they decided that the punishment they gave for a programmatic cover up of the RAPE OF CHILDREN was too harsh and reversed it. It's dyslexia at best and a support of NAMBLA at worst.

BulldogBear
09-09-2014, 08:56 AM
It wasn't their business, but they made it their business and levied a punishment. Then they decided that the punishment they gave for a programmatic cover up of the RAPE OF CHILDREN was too harsh and reversed it. It's dyslexia at best and a support of NAMBLA at worst.
+1

BulldogBear
09-09-2014, 09:02 AM
My take on it is basically thus:

1) I can see the point of view that PERHAPS the NCAA should not have become involved or at least not to this extent

2) BUT SINCE THEY DID, it pisses me off that they're backing off the harshness of this punishment. What is too harsh? Like somebody said, basically nothing is too harsh. Why are these guys even a threat to have a winning season before 2020? Why the 17 do they have enough scholarships to have more than a starting defense, offense, punter and kicker (say 24 total allowed)? They should be having to work with walk-ons for the rest of their team for a while.

Same goes for USC and Miami....oh, it was the worst thing in the history of college football.... yet. USC could still stay on the field with Stanford last week. If a program with this level of violation is capable of being bowl eligible 2-3 years later in a power 5 conference the logical conclusion is THAT THE PUNISHMENT WASN'T NEARLY ENOUGH.

FlabLoser
09-09-2014, 09:44 AM
The idolatry that enabled child rape at Penn State is only going to get stronger having "defeated" the NCAA.

dawgs
09-09-2014, 09:48 AM
My take on it is basically thus:

1) I can see the point of view that PERHAPS the NCAA should not have become involved or at least not to this extent

2) BUT SINCE THEY DID, it pisses me off that they're backing off the harshness of this punishment. What is too harsh? Like somebody said, basically nothing is too harsh. Why are these guys even a threat to have a winning season before 2020? Why the 17 do they have enough scholarships to have more than a starting defense, offense, punter and kicker (say 24 total allowed)? They should be having to work with walk-ons for the rest of their team for a while.

Same goes for USC and Miami....oh, it was the worst thing in the history of college football.... yet. USC could still stay on the field with Stanford last week. If a program with this level of violation is capable of being bowl eligible 2-3 years later in a power 5 conference the logical conclusion is THAT THE PUNISHMENT WASN'T NEARLY ENOUGH.

Because even with big sanctions, USC signs as much or more talent per player as anyone. Their lack of depth has led them to losing games the last few years, not lack of starting talent. And when all your starters are 4-5* recruits, you'll still win 7+ games, even if you only have 65 guys on scholarship instead of 85.

BulldogBear
09-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Because even with big sanctions, USC signs as much or more talent per player as anyone. Their lack of depth has led them to losing games the last few years, not lack of starting talent. And when all your starters are 4-5* recruits, you'll still win 7+ games, even if you only have 65 guys on scholarship instead of 85.

True, but that's my point, the penalty is not harsh. I'm not saying reduce them by 24 schollies. I'm saying limit them TO 24...total...on the whole fracking team.... per year for x number of years. They don't have to worry about signing over 25 because they don't have 25 to give out even if they had no team!!! This is what I mean when I say that if they can even compete for 6-8 wins, they have not lost enough scholarships.

dawgs
09-09-2014, 10:04 AM
True, but that's my point, the penalty is not harsh. I'm not saying reduce them by 24 schollies. I'm saying limit them TO 24...total...on the whole fracking team.... per year for x number of years. They don't have to worry about signing over 25 because they don't have 25 to give out even if they had no team!!! This is what I mean when I say that if they can even compete for 6-8 wins, they have not lost enough scholarships.

All that's gonna do is result in starters getting hurt and trying to play through it more than they already do, or get some walk on injured trying to play against guys like Stanford and Oregon or someone else who have a team filled with high end recruits.

USC lost their coach the nfl and saw the end of their dynasty. Just because they didn't go 0-12 for a couple of seasons doesn't mean they weren't adequately punished (IMO vastly over punished based on many of the much more serious scandals that have resulted in a slap on the wrist or nothing at all - like unc and Miami).

M.Fillmore
09-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Rice was canned because of the video. If there was video of Sandusky banging the boys I wonder if PSU would have skated (and yes, I think they skated). Video is shocking although the pain of the kids if just as real, and those involved just as culpable without the video.

Bubb Rubb
09-09-2014, 12:04 PM

You may be in the minority, but I agree with you.

Bubb Rubb
09-09-2014, 12:09 PM
That's a fair question. The answer is in the NCAA president's letter to Penn State when all this stuff started. I've posted that here and/or on SPS. I'm not going to go back and find it.

The answer is loss if institutional control and also ethics/criminal issues. You have to agree that when a coach is anally raping boys there is a loss of institutional control, especially when the head coach knows about it and does nothing to fix or report it to authorities.

I can agree with this...it's a clear institutional control issue. I think the argument is that the NCAA's punishment should've been consistent with other institutional control issues. Once they put themselves out there, now the issue of softening that judgment hurts their credibility. We are rapidly approaching the day when the NCAA becomes completely irrelevant.

Bully13
09-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Best quote on this subject. Hack settled it. All others need not apply.