PDA

View Full Version : Keep Dak in the game

starkvegasdawg
09-08-2014, 07:54 AM
I just ran the numbers.

So far this season he has passed for 495 yards (8 TD's) and rushed for 134 yards (1 TD). That's a total of 629 yards and 9 TD's. If we were to extrapolate that out over the season that would give him 2,970 yards passing (48 TD's) and 804 yards rushing (6 TD's) for a season total of 3,774 yards and 54 TD's. Now the caveats skewing those numbers. One positively and one negatively. Skewing it against his favor is the fact that he has done that against less than stellar competition. Can he put up those numbers against SEC defenses? Skewing it for his favor is he has barely played one entire game out of the two this season. He played a half against USM and maybe three quarters against UAB. Had he been left in the entire game his numbers would have been even gaudier. If we say the one positive and one negative cancel each other out and those are his season numbers...what are your thoughts on win total after what we have seen so far with this team? If we can figure out the secondary this week in practice then I still see a 10 win regular season. But you can guarantee our seondary now has a massive bullseye painted on it by our next 10 opponents.

Dawg61
09-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Dak hasn't played a full game since he got injured at aTm. Mullen is handling him with kid gloves and I expect that will continue this entire season. Maybe next year Mullen will let him play fully. Maybe. We are seeing another side of Mullen's tendency to go ultra-conservative.

Johnson85
09-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Dak played too much this past saturday, not too little.

THe problem is yanking him in and out at the beginning keeps him from getting into a rhythm. Him running the ball that much against UAB is playing with fire. We need to be able to beat teams like UAB with our running backs running the ball. It's very concerning that we couldn't do that, but if Dak had been throwing the ball better (which maybe he would have if he been allowed to get into a rhythm), hopefully we can rely on only our running backs except for a few carries to keep the D honest.

Coach34
09-08-2014, 08:35 AM
I disagree- you have to run your offense. Any game Dakota doesnt get 15 carries is a game wasted.

Jacksondevildog
09-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Last year, we were pissed off whenever Russell and Prescott would rotate series. I remember people saying next year Prescott will be our quarterback and we wont be shuffling quarterbacks. Well, that shit continues. Mullen is trying to be smart and cute and it's hurting our rhythm. If he pulls that stunt in Tiger Stadium, we will get our ass kicked. LSU will eat Williams alive.

fishwater99
09-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Last year, we were pissed off whenever Russell and Prescott would rotate series. I remember people saying next year Prescott will be our quarterback and we wont be shuffling quarterbacks. Well, that shit continues. Mullen is trying to be smart and cute and it's hurting our rhythm. If he pulls that stunt in Tiger Stadium, we will get our ass kicked. LSU will eat Williams alive.

Yep..
It's Mullen being too cute and cocky once again. He better let DAK play the whole 1st half at USA.
I don't see this ending well at Red Stick...

MaxedOutMaroon
09-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Surely, the rotating in the first half ended this past game. Dan loves coach speak, so don't take his post game words to seriously. If the Williams goes out the 2nd or even 3rd drive of the game versus South Alabama. I will just shake my head in hope that in Baton Rogue things will change, cause if not. We will dig a hole

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 09:28 AM
I disagree- you have to run your offense. Any game Dakota doesnt get 15 carries is a game wasted.

I agree with Coach here. Run your offense and run it hard in the first half against these weaker teams build out a huge lead and then put the subs in. Williams is far more likely to get in a rhythm and get more meaningful snaps if he can string multiple series he goes out there together. It's why coaches do this method rather then Dan the Dumbass method.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Yep..
It's Mullen being too cute and cocky once again. He better let DAK play the whole 1st half at USA.
I don't see this ending well at Red Stick...

Dan will literally be the reason we won't win 10 or 11 games this year. He has the team let's see if he can change his ways starting this game or if the UAB game will be a foreshadowing of things to come.

maroonmania
09-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Dak played too much this past saturday, not too little.

THe problem is yanking him in and out at the beginning keeps him from getting into a rhythm. Him running the ball that much against UAB is playing with fire. We need to be able to beat teams like UAB with our running backs running the ball. It's very concerning that we couldn't do that, but if Dak had been throwing the ball better (which maybe he would have if he been allowed to get into a rhythm), hopefully we can rely on only our running backs except for a few carries to keep the D honest.

The issue this past week is that Dan, coming into the game, thought he could use Dak very little and still comfortably win the game. By the end of the 1st quarter it was obvious that was a bad assumption so Dak stayed in from that time until the 4th quarter. In fact, I feel fairly confident in saying that if Dak had not played this past Saturday that game would have been a loss.

fishwater99
09-08-2014, 10:35 AM
The issue this past week is that Dan, coming into the game, thought he could use Dak very little and still comfortably win the game. By the end of the 1st quarter it was obvious that was a bad assumption so Dak stayed in from that time until the 4th quarter. In fact, I feel fairly confident in saying that if Dak had not played this past Saturday that game would have been a loss.

And that tells you all you need to know about Williams. He is not eh QB of the future. Will we have to burn a redshirt on another qb this year?

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Shit, after looking at the replay (at least the first part of the game) if Dak is in the first four to six series we score TDs on all those drives and go up 21 or 28-0 it's a completely different ball game. Our defense was doing well the first few series. In fact on that drive they got the field goal was because they got great field position because of a Williams 3 and out on our own 10 yard line. They actually gained -2 yards on that drive. Just piss poor coaching decisions by Dan to start the game doomed us to a closer then we would have liked final at the end of the game. If Dan just keeps Dak in for the full first half, I don't think fans would have had much to complain about this game...

HoopsDawg
09-08-2014, 10:41 AM
And that tells you all you need to know about Williams. He is not eh QB of the future. Will we have to burn a redshirt on another qb this year?

No, but do you know when we should get Williams ready to play...when/if Dak gets hurt. Do you even know who Peyton Mannings backup is? Neither do I. The broncos will worry about that when/if Peyton gets hurt.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Dan will literally be the reason we won't win 10 or 11 games this year. He has the team let's see if he can change his ways starting this game or if the UAB game will be a foreshadowing of things to come.

What? Mullen won't do what he did against UAB when we face good teams. That's crazy.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 10:47 AM
And notice I am saying the first half which is still only playing Dak half a game. I thought Dan understood things like rhythm and momentum but apparently he doesn't. You could tell once UAB did a 3 and out of Williams the first time they were starting to gain confidence. It was the same way when he put Williams in the first game against USM as well. He can't do this rotation bull shit against the SEC. We will be eaten alive especially since we are in an NFL type division. I understand building depth and getting playing time but that is what the second half in a blow out is for.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
What? Mullen won't do what he did against UAB when we face good teams. That's crazy.

Let's hope you are right but I am with Cadaver. I am on a wait and see here.

sleepy dawg
09-08-2014, 11:03 AM
wrong thread...

maroonmania
09-08-2014, 11:52 AM
And notice I am saying the first half which is still only playing Dak half a game. I thought Dan understood things like rhythm and momentum but apparently he doesn't. You could tell once UAB did a 3 and out of Williams the first time they were starting to gain confidence. It was the same way when he put Williams in the first game against USM as well. He can't do this rotation bull shit against the SEC. We will be eaten alive especially since we are in an NFL type division. I understand building depth and getting playing time but that is what the second half in a blow out is for.

No, he absolutely doesn't. He has said on multiple occasions that he likes to rotate QBs like he would any other position. Mullen certainly has his own way of thinking on a lot of this stuff, some of which just lacks an element of common sense if you ask me.

Johnson85
09-08-2014, 12:36 PM

180 carries over 12 games seems like a lot of carries but manageable. My problem is that there are going to be a few games where we need Dak to run 20 times to get the win, and I'd rather him have 5-10 carries against teams like UAB.

TrapGame
09-08-2014, 01:17 PM
If Williams can't find open receivers vs USM/UAB defenses then he sure as hell won't find any open vs LSU. It would be a waste of a series and cost us potential points which are precious as gold against teams like LSU!

Dawg61
09-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Burn the shirt on Fitz!! He can at least run like a deer. What are we waiting on? Next year it'll just be even more cluttered with Elijah ready for snaps too. Get Fitz some work NOW!!