PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite Jack saying?

starkvegasdawg
09-08-2014, 03:26 AM
For me it was he would never say the ball was in the middle of the field. It was always equidistant from the sideline stripes.

Political Hack
09-08-2014, 05:57 AM
it's an obvious one but the one I repeated the most... the "land of milk and honey."

Drugdog
09-08-2014, 06:03 AM
The Sonic Drive of the game.....will be me driving home to Tupelo.

grinnindawg
09-08-2014, 06:15 AM
"We're not going to split half yards at this juncture"

Saltydog
09-08-2014, 06:31 AM
nt

msstatelp1
09-08-2014, 06:42 AM
The obvious one..."wrap this one in maroon and white."

State82
09-08-2014, 06:43 AM
For me it was he would never say the ball was in the middle of the field. It was always equidistant from the sideline stripes.

Ha! First thing that came to my mind before I read any of the responses! One of my favorites, too. The other very unique Cristilism was this: no one was ever "6 feet, 185 pounds". It was always "6 tall, 185". Man, miss that guy already.

Dawgface
09-08-2014, 07:36 AM
it's an obvious one but the one I repeated the most... the "land of milk and honey."

This one. And that is where he is.

BulldogBear
09-08-2014, 07:47 AM
The Sonic Drive of the game.....will be me driving home to Tupelo.

This one^

After the 45-0 Egg Bowl of 2008 I was listening on a hand held radio as we walked back to our car by the Tad Pad. He said it's time for the the Sonic Drive of the game and "I assure you it will be my drive back home to Tupelo, Mississippi."

I couldn't help but laugh. I needed some mirth after that game.

SouthMsDawg
09-08-2014, 07:55 AM
I loved it in basketball when a player got fouled hard or the other team got away without a foul being called, Jack would get agitated and say "He was absolutely MUGGED there!"

West Houston Dog
09-08-2014, 08:03 AM
What a sad day we knew was coming ......

CadaverDawg
09-08-2014, 08:07 AM
"And he SLAMS it in the goal"

starkvegasdawg
09-08-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm really surprised and saddened none of the major sports sites like espn.com have not reported this yet. They've gushed over other announcers before when they retired or died. Jack is certainly worthy.

FlabLoser
09-08-2014, 08:33 AM
"and he walks in unmolested".

Tony Watts drives the lane, gets karate chopped, shoots, misses. Then makes some comment about Kentucky being combative.

TheRef
09-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Kentucky has put in their kung-fu defense.

LC Dawg
09-08-2014, 08:50 AM
It isn't a saying but one of the funniest things I ever heard him do was during an away basketball game. He was broadcasting courtside. The ref was standing in front of him getting ready for an inbounds play. You could tell Jack tried to put his hand over the microphone and then yelled "Blow the damn whistle!". The broadcast then resumed as normal.

War Machine Dawg
09-08-2014, 09:07 AM
"The Arkansas kicker goes through his gesticulations." was a good one.

"He plunges ahead for a short gain." (I bet even Jack was sick of that one after the Crxxm Error)

All the other good ones had been mentioned, ha.

gtowndawg
09-08-2014, 09:12 AM

"the ball carrier runs into a pile of humanity."

Todd4State
09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
And confusion reigns supreme here at the Superdome.

Bucky Dog
09-08-2014, 09:15 AM
For basketball it has to be, "He's as hot as a depot stove" and "He rams home a three"!

HeCannotGo
09-08-2014, 09:26 AM
I posted this on SPS earlier today; hope I'm not breaking some sort of rule by doing the same here.

Like so many others, I feel as though a part of my childhood has died. How many of us spent Saturday afternoons with our fathers listening to Jack bring a football game to life? Even now, as I watch football and basketball games, some of Jack's memorable phrases pop into my head.

Here are my favorites:

1. "Don Smith is engineering at quarterback for the Bulldogs, and the six-tall youngster hailing from Hamilton, Mississippi reads a four man defensive front with a three-linebacker set."

2. "Head coach Richard Williams is stylishly bedecked in his grey suit, harmonized with his maroon tie."

3. "The Bulldogs are seven yards away from the land of milk and honey, trailing nothing to three with two times out remaining."

4. "John Fourcade is hit and he is dropped, into the customary seating position. They will spot the ball along the forty-four yard stripe, 'they' being the working officials."

5. "The maroon-headgeared, maroon-jersied, white-trousered Bulldogs have football possession with the ball equidistant from the sideline stripes, first and three and goal to go."

6. "The Bulldog offensive linemen are performing yeoman duty along the forward wall."

7. "The handoff is to the tailback and he cannot go, as he is stacked up by a writhing mass of humanity along the three yard line, led by Glenn Collins and Johnny Cooks."

8. "It's as cold as a pawnbroker's heart, but this crowd is alive here at Scott Field."

9. "Reggie Collier wants to throw . . . now under pressure and he's hit and dropped for a loss by Aaron Pearson," [Aaron then celebrates wildly] "and Aaron is aroused."

10. "And Dampier slams it in the goal. Kentucky asks for and receives time out, and we'll now pause for these messages on the Mississippi State network from Coke, from State Farm, and from our good friends at Iupe's, on the Square in Canton."

I look forward to our Bulldogs wrapping one in maroon and white for Jack on Saturday.

Bully13
09-08-2014, 09:34 AM
I remember when we had a QB that had a real strong arm but couldn't hit the water from a boat in the middle of a lake. Think he eventually transferred. At any rate, after several bad throws to open receivers, Jack says "this kid has a strong arm, not accurate enough to hit the receivers but he sure can throw it a long way"

TheRef
09-08-2014, 09:57 AM
I remember when we had a QB that had a real strong arm but couldn't hit the water from a boat in the middle of a lake. Think he eventually transferred. At any rate, after several bad throws to open receivers, Jack says "this kid has a strong arm, not accurate enough to hit the receivers but he sure can throw it a long way"

That was Relf...

Bully13
09-08-2014, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=TheRef;242464]That was Relf...[/QUOTE

NO.....this was before Relf

shannondawg
09-08-2014, 10:38 AM
"Off the iron, it will not go!

Saltydog
09-08-2014, 10:44 AM
it's only week 11. (Jack Cristil)

M.Fillmore
09-08-2014, 10:45 AM
After the 45-0 hammering from the bear that ended the Crxxm Error, Jack went to the commercial break sponsored by Regions bank whose motto was "Its time for a change."

Jack had obviously had his fill of Crxxm and he made his feelings known.
"The postgame is brought to you by Regions Bank, because its TIME for a CHANGE!"

turkish
09-08-2014, 10:46 AM
"Hotter than a depot stove." I don't remember the context.

maroonmania
09-08-2014, 12:02 PM
I always found it amusing when Jack would say "and the ball carrier is spun down at the such and such yard line". Always had this mental picture of a defender grabbing a guy and spinning him like a top until he fell over.

It_Could_Happen
09-08-2014, 12:08 PM
After the first play of the Mullen era was my favorite. He said "and the bulldogs did not start the game with the traditional halfback off right tackle."

missouridawg
09-08-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm really surprised and saddened none of the major sports sites like espn.com have not reported this yet. They've gushed over other announcers before when they retired or died. Jack is certainly worthy.

I have never seen ESPN report on a college announcer death. Would love to see an example of this...

Not pro sports, but college.

Bubb Rubb
09-08-2014, 12:59 PM
This one^

After the 45-0 Egg Bowl of 2008 I was listening on a hand held radio as we walked back to our car by the Tad Pad. He said it's time for the the Sonic Drive of the game and "I assure you it will be my drive back home to Tupelo, Mississippi."

I couldn't help but laugh. I needed some mirth after that game.

Small nitpick...it wasn't after the egg bowl...it was after the Alabama game. I remember it like it was yesterday.

starkvegasdawg
09-08-2014, 01:17 PM
I have never seen ESPN report on a college announcer death. Would love to see an example of this...

Not pro sports, but college.

I could have sworn they did when that UCLA announcer died several years ago. Maybe I'm wrong. Still...for a sports announcer to call games for over 50 years is worth at least a mention.

dawggoneit
09-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Actually he used that line after Bama and the Egg Bowl.

missouridawg
09-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I could have sworn they did when that UCLA announcer died several years ago. Maybe I'm wrong. Still...for a sports announcer to call games for over 50 years is worth at least a mention.

While I agree with the sentiment, I'm not sure MSU has had enough national success to warrant it. If UCLA basketball guy got honored (and he has been there since the 50s and 60s) then I could get it... But Jack just wasn't put into a national spotlight very often.

I've seen them do things for Jack Buck, Harry Caray, Vin Scully (who is still working), the Detroit Tigers' guy... but never I have seen them honor a college guy. Would be nice to see it for a change, but seriously doubt it happens.

Thrill1
09-08-2014, 01:57 PM
These are all great. Jack's condescending tone in a loss almost made you feel a little better as if you're not the only one suffering through this.

I've gotten the biggest kick out of this one from the '06 Tulane debacle: "and Conner is swarmed under. He didn't have a Chinaman's chance."

Martianlander
09-08-2014, 02:05 PM
The obvious one..."wrap this one in maroon and white."

This!!!!!!

BulldogBear
09-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Small nitpick...it wasn't after the egg bowl...it was after the Alabama game. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I don't doubt it. Then perhaps it was twice he said it because the last time I went to an Alabama game was in 1982 and it wasn't in Oxford and I wasn't parked by Tad Smith Coliseum and I was only 9.

NCDawg
09-08-2014, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=TheRef;242464]That was Relf...[/QUOTE

NO.....this was before Relf

Think his name was Chelander.

DAWGS1
09-08-2014, 03:31 PM
"Mississippi State dons maroon headgear, maroon jerseys with white numerals, white trousers with maroon piping."

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-08-2014, 06:17 PM
I've gotten the biggest kick out of this one from the '06 Tulane debacle: "and Conner is swarmed under. He didn't have a Chinaman's chance."

I thought "Chinaman's Chance" was when Omarr Conner got swarmed by UAB in 2006.

Mjoelner34
09-08-2014, 08:07 PM
I guess I don't really have a favorite. I liked everything he said from the pre-game uniform descriptions to the picture he painted during the game. Two things he said though made me laugh my ass off. I believe this was during the Croom years when it was set up where you could get your home broadcasters over the radio in opposing teams stadiums. We were playing at home this particular week and playing shitty (imagine that) when Jim starts talking about the frequencies you could hear him and Jack on next week in Tiger stadium at LSU to which Jack responded "That is if anybody even cares to listen.". You could tell by the tone in his voice that he wasn't saying that out of humility, he said it because he was pissed at the play on the field. The other thing wasn't on air but what he told a friend of mine 3 or 4 years ago when my friend asked him how he was doing. Jack told him "Well, I'm not buying any green bananas.".

Thrill1
09-08-2014, 08:11 PM
I thought "Chinaman's Chance" was when Omarr Conner got swarmed by UAB in 2006.

Definitely vs Tulane in 06. Lost 32-29, but were down a bunch. We beat UAB in OT in Bham that yr.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Definitely vs Tulane in 06. Lost 32-29, but were down a bunch. We beat UAB in OT in Bham that yr.

My memory and Six Pack Speak say UAB. http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/archive/index.php/t-1377.html