PDA

View Full Version : Llyod?s Back from Vacation Non-Technical Analysis

Lloyd Christmas
09-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Well boys I'm back. I said my peace and took my vacation..now I can bring you my mostly non-technical, yet colorful, breakdown of yesterday's game (and Mullen's coaching philosophy).

1. Attendance

One thing is for sure: Nobody was happy with the attendance at yesterday's game. Having said that, it wasn't surprising whatsoever. Think about it:

A. Apparently it was hotter than hell and humid as a sauna..so pretty much a textbook Mississippi scorcher. You can bitch at people for not showing up if you were there and hung in for all 4, otherwise I would suggest not trashing our fans. You didn't go either so don't throw stones in a glass house.

B. Would you want to watch a Spring Scrimmage for 3 and a-half hours in the blazing ass heat? You want fans in the stands? Put a product on the field that makes me forget I'm about to have a heat stroke. I almost turned that shit off in my 72 degree living room so I can't blame anyone for leaving that late term abortion.

C. It was a 1:00 PM game against a shitty C-USA opponent. No further comments needed.

2. The 1A and 1B offense.

My Lord. What can really be said about this? I struggle to find the combination of English words to accurately describe how f**king stupid this philosophy of Mullen's is.

I will freely admit that I do not have the technical football knowledge that some on this board do. However, I do know one universal rule that applies to all team sports: momentum and rhythm are two massive keys to success. Mullen took a steamy shit on those two keys yesterday. How in the hell is Dak ever supposed to get in a quick rhythm when he is taken out after the first offensive series? How is anyone else on the "1A" squad supposed to get in a consistent rhythm? Did anyone notice that whenever Dak got subbed back in there seemed to be a disconnect with the receivers? This problem is directly attributed to the spotty playing time.

Also, what about conditioning? How are these "1A" guys gonna keep their breath against LSU when they haven't played a full half of football yet?

Because Mullen is the most stubborn son-of-a bitch in coaching we will see this shit again versus USA. Mullen will do this because he is smarter than everyone else. Don't you know that even if it looks, smells, and tastes like shit that it's actually cherry pie? Dan Mullen invented football and everyone else is ignorant to his coaching genius. Need I remind you how well the Perkins over Robinson strategy worked last year? Fools! All of you, FOOLS!

Seriously though, here's the best way I can explain it:

Coca Cola Classic: Beat the shit out of the opponent in the first half, get the backups playing time in the second half. Taste that has survived the test of time.

New Coke!: Sub in backups all first half. Taste like shit and piss off your client base.

3. Mullen's Hubris

I thought of putting this in the last section but felt that it needed its own discussion. Mullen may truly be the most stubborn coach I have ever seen in all of sports. I used to think it was Tony LaRussa but Mullen takes the f**king cake. Remember when Mullen interviewed with Miami and their admin said that "Mullen acts like he invented football"? Well that ain't to hard to believe these days. Last year it was Perkins over Robinson and now it's this 1A 1B shit. Everyone knows it's a bad idea. Hell even Dan knows it is. But if he stops now that will mean he was wrong..so don't hold your breath.

The core of this problem is that Mullen's stubbornness hasn't cost us a game yet against a sub par foe. If he lost one of these games because of his antics he would feel a lot more heat. This will eventually happen and it will be a good thing for Mullen's ego (while pissing everyone off in the process).

These same antics will cost us a game this year.

Final thoughts:

If he does this crap against LSU he should be shit canned. I'm serious; if Mullen trots out Damian Williams in the first half against LSU I want him gone: Lane Kiffin USC bus style.

Also, does it not scare the shit out of anyone else that Damian Williams is our backup? We are royally f**cked if Dak goes down.

I thought about discussing the kicking game, but a fat turd speaks for itself.

I want to believe we will make adjustments and adapt going forward, but point 3 makes me think otherwise.

Oh yeah, Hail State.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 10:34 PM
http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/costanza-popcorn.gif

RougeDawg
09-07-2014, 10:57 PM
How is aspen this time of year?

archdog
09-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Only comment I can make is Damian looks to be a victim for the same reason as Dak when he comes in. Neither can get there rhythm going, so they both look shaky until they get in the flow of the game.

I don't mind Damian getting meaningful reps, but when you are only up 7 on the second possession of the game is not the time. Get up 14 early, then burn a series, but keep all other personnel on the field.

Lloyd Christmas
How is aspen this time of year?

I thought the Rockies would be a little rockier.

Pollodawg
Dak was 12-25 for 211 yards and 4tds through the air, one on the ground. Other than his completion percentage, he played very well considering the fact that he was basically riding the pine while we wasted possessions on the back ups for the first quarter. Dan and Co slept walked through this game, and our secondary got exposed, badly.

We have to tighten pass coverage up, big time.

Pollodawg
09-07-2014, 11:04 PM
I said that to say that I am not worried about the offense. We'll move the ball, and we'll score points if Dan will stop with the subbing in and out bullcrap that killed every ounce of offense momentum we had yesterday. I am not worried about the "1A" dline. I am, however, worried about our secondary.

mstatefan91
09-07-2014, 11:19 PM
The secondary issues will get cleaned up. Yes we will probably get burned for one against LSU (don't know that USA has the receivers that UAB had) but that happens to nearly everybody who plays LSU. The key is to not get burned consistently, and looking back at the game, it seemed to be more mental than anything. Taking plays off in the secondary led to us getting burned. Focus is the key, and big games provide focus

MarketingBully01
09-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Quick question for the board. If we run it on 4th and 1 when Dak was in that last series and go ahead and put the game up 54-27 to basically put UAB away, are we nearly as upset as we are today and have this woe is us attitude?

I know I would have felt better and wouldn't have nearly been as upset even with all the whole sale changes.

The UAB defense wasn't stopping us on that drive if we ran the ball. We would have scored easily and were it not for two missed XP would have covered if Dan just would have called the right play on 4th and 1 on Dak's last drive. Is he really going to call a pass play on 4th and 1 against the SEC? If not, why the **** call it there?

mstatefan91
09-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Quick question for the board. If we run it on 4th and 1 when Dak was in that last series and go ahead and put the game up 54-27 to basically put UAB away, are we nearly as upset as we are today and have this woe is us attitude?

I know I would have felt better and wouldn't have nearly been as upset even with all the whole sale changes.

The UAB defense wasn't stopping us on that drive if we ran the ball. We would have scored easily and were it not for two missed XP would have covered if Dan just would have called the right play on 4th and 1 on Dak's last drive. Is he really going to call a pass play on 4th and 1 against the SEC? If not, why the **** call it there?

I wouldn't have been nearly as upset if it had stayed 47-27. That's still a convincing victory even if it doesn't look as great as 54-27.

I think in SEC play that will be Dak/JRob up the middle 10/10 times. We were playing a lesser team. Dan gambled a lot and won.

Political Hack
09-08-2014, 06:01 AM
& remember when the Michigan President said "maybe he did invent football."?
that's why we keep him.

TXDawg
09-08-2014, 08:06 AM

Yes, I would still be disappointed. If for nothing else than the stupid substitutions in the first quarter. It's been said before, but I'll say it again: You don't get your second team reps with the game still on the line. I'm hoping he's just treating these first three games like the NFL pre-season and will stop this crap when we get the SEC. I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

DawgHouseUnited
09-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Well boys I'm back. I said my peace and took my vacation..now I can bring you my mostly non-technical, yet colorful, breakdown of yesterday's game (and Mullen's coaching philosophy).

1. Attendance

One thing is for sure: Nobody was happy with the attendance at yesterday's game. Having said that, it wasn't surprising whatsoever. Think about it:

A. Apparently it was hotter than hell and humid as a sauna..so pretty much a textbook Mississippi scorcher. You can bitch at people for not showing up if you were there and hung in for all 4, otherwise I would suggest not trashing our fans. You didn't go either so don't throw stones in a glass house.

B. Would you want to watch a Spring Scrimmage for 3 and a-half hours in the blazing ass heat? You want fans in the stands? Put a product on the field that makes me forget I'm about to have a heat stroke. I almost turned that shit off in my 72 degree living room so I can't blame anyone for leaving that late term abortion.

C. It was a 1:00 PM game against a shitty C-USA opponent. No further comments needed.

This was a really big problem for me. I went, took my wife and even my 4 y/o for her first game evah, and we wound up leaving before halftime because both of them were about to pass out. We came prepared- fans, cooling towels (that may or may not have been worth the $), bought water left & right- it didn't help. It was just too hot.

I know we were on tv & had to schedule the game accordingly, but was it worth it? I watched the rest of the game at BWW and was sickened every time the camera scanned the stadium. I'm definitely NOT going to gripe at the fans, because I wound up having to leave the game early myself. I AM upset at the decision to play at 1:00 on the first weekend in September.

DawgHouseUnited
09-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Yes, I would still be disappointed. If for nothing else than the stupid substitutions in the first quarter. It's been said before, but I'll say it again: You don't get your second team reps with the game still on the line. I'm hoping he's just treating these first three games like the NFL pre-season and will stop this crap when we get the SEC. I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

I think he needs to drop it immediately. If necessary, I'd say treat the first two games as preseason, but use the third to get a rhythm , get in a groove, and build momentum heading into conference play.

RougeDawg
09-08-2014, 09:03 AM
This was a really big problem for me. I went, took my wife and even my 4 y/o for her first game evah, and we wound up leaving before halftime because both of them were about to pass out. We came prepared- fans, cooling towels (that may or may not have been worth the $), bought water left & right- it didn't help. It was just too hot.

I know we were on tv & had to schedule the game accordingly, but was it worth it? I watched the rest of the game at BWW and was sickened every time the camera scanned the stadium. I'm definitely NOT going to gripe at the fans, because I wound up having to leave the game early myself. I AM upset at the decision to play at 1:00 on the first weekend in September.

Exactly. If Saban can grope and complain about the hurry up offense being unhealthy for his defensive players, why can't Dan and Strick argue to the SEC office and ESPN about putting our players health at risk by playing these mid day games when averages daily highs are in the low to mid 90's, before the heat index. I honestly don't see his either ESPN or the sec could debut the request, given the current football safety first landscape and culpability after an institution has brought it up as a valid concern. Unless we signed our lives away when we signed the ESPN contract.

fishwater99
09-08-2014, 09:12 AM
I think he needs to drop it immediately. If necessary, I'd say treat the first two games as preseason, but use the third to get a rhythm , get in a groove, and build momentum heading into conference play.

Going to be hard to beat a Top 25 team with this circus act...