PDA

View Full Version : Logan Cooke

DistrictDawg92
09-07-2014, 06:22 PM
The dude has a hell of a leg, why not trot him out there and see what he can do as a placekicker? As we all know it couldn't be any worse than what we have now.

Also, why the **** did we sign a punter last year instead of a placekicker?? Especially considering bell has this season and next season left. It's not like punters need a redshirt year, if they can kick they can kick. Kicker was arguably our biggest position of need but Mullen signs a punter. SMH

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Because Mullen says we don't have a problem at kicker. These guys are nailing them from 50 yards, right down the middle, in practice. **

MaxedOutMaroon
09-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Although I am neither refuting nor advocating your view, I will say that Cooke has a leg. Watched him after halftime warming up last week and this one, and the guy can boot it.

maroonmania
09-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Although I am neither refuting nor advocating your view, I will say that Cooke has a leg. Watched him after halftime warming up last week and this one, and the guy can boot it.

Well having a leg isn't helping us. I haven't seen us miss any FGs or XPs because the ball fell short, we just can't get it in between the pipes.

EnterpriseDawg
09-07-2014, 09:43 PM
How does a UAB find such a good place kicker and we struggle to find one to kick xps? Mullen should have slipped that kid with his phone number to get him on the team next year lol.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 09:48 PM
How does a UAB find such a good place kicker and we struggle to find one to kick xps? Mullen should have slipped that kid with his phone number to get him on the team next year lol.

They had a kicker named Swayze Waters from Jackson Prep several years back that was really good. And then Memphis got Gostkowski from Madison central. We did get Hazlewood from Clinton, but that was years ago....meanwhile Neil Thomas was from Clinton and he went to Alabama.

That being said, Devon Bell was from Warren Central and was the best kicker in the state I believe. There seems to be plenty of kicking talent in Mississippi high schools. We just need to hit up all the schools with the best football and soccer programs, and find the best kid that plays soccer and kicks for their Highschool. Sounds like we need to get the kid from Starkville high. Any way we could sneak him into a Sobiesk jersey on Saturdays since he lives in Starkville?*

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 10:27 PM
They had a kicker named Swayze Waters from Jackson Prep several years back that was really good. And then Memphis got Gostkowski from Madison central. We did get Hazlewood from Clinton, but that was years ago....meanwhile Neil Thomas was from Clinton and he went to Alabama.

That being said, Devon Bell was from Warren Central and was the best kicker in the state I believe. There seems to be plenty of kicking talent in Mississippi high schools. We just need to hit up all the schools with the best football and soccer programs, and find the best kid that plays soccer and kicks for their Highschool. Sounds like we need to get the kid from Starkville high. Any way we could sneak him into a Sobiesk jersey on Saturdays since he lives in Starkville?*

I've said it a thousand times in the last year: SCREW recruiting high school kickers. They're kicking off a tee and makes it harder to project them. Go find the best available JUCO K and do whatever it takes to sign him. 2 years later, rinse, repeat. Those guys are kicking off the ground and are easier to project.

Hell, John Michael Marlin was the best HS K I've ever seen. The guy was consistently accurate from 50+ with room to spare. We all know how THAT worked out for us. To be fair, I've heard that the reason for him sucking wasn't football related. It was a case of him not wanting to play anymore.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 10:38 PM
I've said it a thousand times in the last year: SCREW recruiting high school kickers. They're kicking off a tee and makes it harder to project them. Go find the best available JUCO K and do whatever it takes to sign him. 2 years later, rinse, repeat. Those guys are kicking off the ground and are easier to project.

Hell, John Michael Marlin was the best HS K I've ever seen. The guy was consistently accurate from 50+ with room to spare. We all know how THAT worked out for us. To be fair, I've heard that the reason for him sucking wasn't football related. It was a case of him not wanting to play anymore.

I disagree. Not saying JUCO can't work, but high school can work too. When you're scouting them, tell them you wanna see them kick it off the ground. Do coaches not request that from kickers before signing them out of high school?

SouthMsDawg
09-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Id do whatever it took to get the Godly kid from Starkville on campus by next summer whether its an academic or some other type of scholarship since he is a local kid and has a golden leg. He kicked a 54 and 49 yard FG vs West Point Friday.

Buddy
09-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Id do whatever it took to get the Godly kid from Starkville on campus by next summer whether its an academic or some other type of scholarship since he is a local kid and has a golden leg. He kicked a 54 and 49 yard FG vs West Point Friday.

Yes he did..... but as mentioned previously, it was off a tee. There is no guarantee he will be even an average PK in college.

I agree about recruiting the JUCOs... no excuse for not having a "dependable" kicker on the roster. Extra points should be automatic and FGs inside 40 yards should be nearly so.

trob115
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
I have heard that the Starkville kickers mom is an employee at msu and he has a 29 on his ACT. No reason he couldn't be a preferred walkon for sure.

quickstrike2
09-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Logan is from my home town and high school. While most of us knew that his future would be punting and kicking off, most of my family and friend agreed Saturday that we felt pretty comfortable in his extra point kicking ability. Just feeling like he might make a XP gives him a leg up on the other guys.

Todd4State
09-08-2014, 09:22 AM
I think part of the problem is we seem like we are always using a freshman to kick field goals and that to me is dicey for sure. They have to transition to kicking without a tee and make adjustments like that.

I don't know what Scott Westerfield would have been like as a freshman or a sophomore, but we actually redshirted him and then used him his fourth-fifth years on campus. And yes, he did come from a JUCO.

I have seen some people mention Hazlewood- a lot of people don't remember, but he had more than his fair share of critics when he played for us as well.

maroonmania
09-08-2014, 09:47 AM
I think part of the problem is we seem like we are always using a freshman to kick field goals and that to me is dicey for sure. They have to transition to kicking without a tee and make adjustments like that.

I don't know what Scott Westerfield would have been like as a freshman or a sophomore, but we actually redshirted him and then used him his fourth-fifth years on campus. And yes, he did come from a JUCO.

I have seen some people mention Hazlewood- a lot of people don't remember, but he had more than his fair share of critics when he played for us as well.

Well Sobiesk got some experience last year and certainly wouldn't be a freshman but we screw that up by platooning him with Westin Graves who has had all kinds of trouble kicking in games. Hard to watch Mullen make some of his decisions on personnel and not leave scratching your head. People like to joke about the screwy things Les Miles does but I think Mullen is actually worse. I mean just like running Holloway up the middle play after play in the 4th quarter this past Saturday, what sense does that make? Holloway probably doesn't weigh 180 soaking wet. Where was Griffin and Shumpert if that is what we planned to do?

MaxedOutMaroon
09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
High school should get away from tees. It only hurts their future. Also, we need to host kicking camps (let me know if we already do), like LSU does. I also support the Juco point.

maroonmania
09-08-2014, 10:01 AM
High school should get away from tees. It only hurts their future. Also, we need to host kicking camps (let me know if we already do), like LSU does. I also support the Juco point.

Yep, I will never forget back in the day when colleges used tees and Russell Erxleben from Texas was the big time All-American kicker that the Saints used a first round draft pick on. When he got to New Orleans and they took away the tee he was totally useless as a place kicker.

engie
09-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Meanwhile John Baxter is still without a job...
http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/baxter_john00.html

Todd4State
09-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Well Sobiesk got some experience last year and certainly wouldn't be a freshman but we screw that up by platooning him with Westin Graves who has had all kinds of trouble kicking in games. Hard to watch Mullen make some of his decisions on personnel and not leave scratching your head. People like to joke about the screwy things Les Miles does but I think Mullen is actually worse. I mean just like running Holloway up the middle play after play in the 4th quarter this past Saturday, what sense does that make? Holloway probably doesn't weigh 180 soaking wet. Where was Griffin and Shumpert if that is what we planned to do?

Dan is like Les Miles except nothing ever seems to work.

But to your point about Sobiesk- yes, he is a sophomore now but how much did last season affect him going forward into this season? I think we probably put him out there before he was ready and then we are seeing what can happen.

Todd4State
09-08-2014, 10:10 AM

My only thing about going JUCO only is if we have that policy, it could and will come back to bite us at some point.

Now, I'm not against JUCO kickers at all. But if we have a hard and fast policy against high school kickers having to go to Co-Lin or EMCC first, a lot of potentially good ones will just say "well, forget that I'll just go to __ where I can go ahead and go to a four year school."

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Meanwhile John Baxter is still without a job...
http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/baxter_john00.html

Wow, good find Engie. We could also get him to coach the TE and move Sallach to an off the field role like we wanted to a couple of years back.

MarketingBully01
09-08-2014, 10:17 AM
All I know is we are going to have to find an answer and fast. We are about to hit a three game stretch that is probably the toughest in the country: at #9 LSU, #7 A&M and #5 Auburn. If Mullen goes 2-1 in that stretch, not only do we forget about the UAB debacle but we will go from unranked to top 10 easy...