PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB: Slaying Smaug Edition

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Gents, the Slaying Smaug Edition of ACQB is available at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2014/9/7/6116637/wmd-armchair-qb-slaying-smaug-edition-uab-blazers-dan-mullen-dak-prescott-mississippi-state). Check it out, let me know what you guys think.

DudyDawg
09-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Agree that we took a step back in our tackling in your first point. I thought we were pretty good in week 1 but could've been better this week. Our defense and defensive ST are making a lot of big plays, which is what we needed to go from a good defense to a GREAT defense.

MarketingBully01
09-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Gents, the Slaying Smaug Edition of ACQB is available at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2014/9/7/6116637/wmd-armchair-qb-slaying-smaug-edition-uab-blazers-dan-mullen-dak-prescott-mississippi-state). Check it out, let me know what you guys think.

Pretty good analysis but I thought the WRs and OL performed better then what you pointed out. Our problems can be really pointed out by the QB subbing early. We had momentum and really UAB couldn't stop us with their defense with Dak in. I think if we had Dak in for the first 6 series we would have had 42 points (or 40 with the two missed XP). By taking him out every other series, Dan gave momentum to UAB.

We stopped UAB's game plan at first which was the run game. Bill Clark just adjusted and put in their passing QB to see if they could get the passing game. Bill Clark is a great coach though. UAB will go to a bowl this year and be at least 6-6.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 03:53 PM
I thought that was one of your better write-up's, WMD. I'm obviously a little more pissed about the player shuffling so early in the game, but as long as it stops after next week, I'm fine with it.

As for the rest, I agree on pretty much everything. I think you keyed on just how serious this kicking situation is. It's real effing serious, and very unacceptable at this point in Dan's tenure. Dan's "being okay" with bad things like our FG game right now, make me want to kick him in the face....sorry...it does. Ha.

And thank you for pointing out Shumpert. He is doing the little things that he's asked to do, and that very often go unnoticed by our fans.

Good stuff, bud.

Maroonthirteen
09-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Field goals, something I've noticed. The hold on a number if attempts has been less than ideal. Te first FG we missed vs USM was a bad exchange. Yesterday, it looked the kicker kicked laces. One miss one make.

Anyway....not making excuses for the kickers. But State should work the entire FG team allow week. Put the snapper, holder and kicker under pressure.

GreenheadDawg
09-07-2014, 04:14 PM
5.I don't understand the criticism of playing so many players. Today was HOT in the stands, so I can't imagine how hot it was on the field. Plus when it comes to our D, we legitimately have 22 that are 1A, 1B. Why not rotate guys through? One of the biggest reasons for our defensive success in '99 was the constant rotation of two D-Lines. Keep rotating guys and staying fresh, so far as I'm concerned.

I'm not, nor anybody that I know, upset about rotating GUYS or POSITIONS in and out. But entire units? This is where I have a problem. He takes out the entire secondary and entire LB unit and throws in the back ups. I'm ok with getting these guys reps but put them out there with a little veteran help to get them in the right position. Cleveland and Evans looked lost majority of the time

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 06:41 PM
5.I don't understand the criticism of playing so many players. Today was HOT in the stands, so I can't imagine how hot it was on the field. Plus when it comes to our D, we legitimately have 22 that are 1A, 1B. Why not rotate guys through? One of the biggest reasons for our defensive success in '99 was the constant rotation of two D-Lines. Keep rotating guys and staying fresh, so far as I'm concerned.

I'm not, nor anybody that I know, upset about rotating GUYS or POSITIONS in and out. But entire units? This is where I have a problem. He takes out the entire secondary and entire LB unit and throws in the back ups. I'm ok with getting these guys reps but put them out there with a little veteran help to get them in the right position. Cleveland and Evans looked lost majority of the time

We subbed the DL as a unit in '99. Everyone loved that at the time. Now it's suddenly taboo and something to bitch about. I'll never understand our fans. We obviously aren't going to continue subbing an entirely new 11 every other series in SEC play. But why not right now? These units practice with each other and are familiar playing with the guy beside them.

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Field goals, something I've noticed. The hold on a number if attempts has been less than ideal. Te first FG we missed vs USM was a bad exchange. Yesterday, it looked the kicker kicked laces. One miss one make.

Anyway....not making excuses for the kickers. But State should work the entire FG team allow week. Put the snapper, holder and kicker under pressure.

Like I said, it's the entire STs, minus Punting, KO/P Coverage, and Defensive ST (blocking) units. It can't be the players. We've got too much talent for that AND we're using several starters on our STs. Plus, it's been consistently bad for all 6 of Mullen's seasons to date. That means it's one thing: Coaching. Something HAS to be done and I mean immediately.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 06:47 PM
We subbed the DL as a unit in '99. Everyone loved that at the time. Now it's suddenly taboo and something to bitch about. I'll never understand our fans. We obviously aren't going to continue subbing an entirely new 11 every other series in SEC play. But why not right now? These units practice with each other and are familiar playing with the guy beside them.

Because our second team secondary is not as talented as our 99 second team DL, that's why. And you say so surely that we will stop come SEC play....well I, like many others, have seen Mullen do some dumb shit, so I'll believe we stop rotating during SEC play when I see it with my own two eyes. This is, after all, the same Coach that sees no current problem with our kicking game. Think about it.

I like Dan Mullen, and he has done some awesome things for this program...but I'm also not naive enough to think he wouldn't consider rotating players the same way when we go to Death Valley. He does some strange stuff. And even if he stops, we are missing out on valuable time for our starters to gel and gain chemistry and rhythm.

For example, Dak's timing is off, and Damien stealing reps in between series isn't going to make that better. For either of them.

GreenheadDawg
09-07-2014, 06:47 PM

Agree to disagree I guess. I think it's ****ing stupid and it makes us look stupid. Put your best on the field and let them play and when they need a breather then put "1B" player in. Sorry but nobody watching our DBs get torched by UAB knows that they were backups. All they see is us looking like shit. That game should have never been that close or ever in question. Mark my words, this letting Dak play a series and then sit for few and then come back in will come back to haunt us vs. LSU. Dak needs his reps. Period

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 06:53 PM
I thought that was one of your better write-up's, WMD. I'm obviously a little more pissed about the player shuffling so early in the game, but as long as it stops after next week, I'm fine with it.

As for the rest, I agree on pretty much everything. I think you keyed on just how serious this kicking situation is. It's real effing serious, and very unacceptable at this point in Dan's tenure. Dan's "being okay" with bad things like our FG game right now, make me want to kick him in the face....sorry...it does. Ha.

And thank you for pointing out Shumpert. He is doing the little things that he's asked to do, and that very often go unnoticed by our fans.

Good stuff, bud.

Appreciate it, Cadaver!

Like I said last week, I'd be shocked if we continue subbing an entirely new 11 in SEC play. C34 is right about Mullen treating these first 3 games like NFL Preseason. He's putting in lots of guys in critical situations, seeing how they respond, and projecting them to SEC play accordingly. I'd look for us to go back to a mix-and-match substitution approach in SEC play, other than on the DL. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we rotate them as a unit like we did with the '99 group.

That's why I went nuclear on Mullen for STs this week. This bullshit has GOT to be fixed, immediately. We're going to have to make a FG to beat LSU, aTm, Bama, etc. And Dan just laughing at it being mental with our Ks, then trotting out the excuse of "they look great in practice" just shows he doesn't have a clue. I'm a young Dawg and grew up in the JWS Era. I'm used to use having awesome STs as a whole and especially a good K. I'd bet The Kang is having a fit at how much our STs, particularly our "kicking", sucks. Hell, hire The Kang to coach STs, so far as I'm concerned.

I haven't given up on Shump, but I think his future is at accepting the role of FB. Don't want to restart the war from the other thread, but he loves to hit people, and hasn't shown any burst so far in his career. Granted, he had nowhere to run yesterday. Plus, I think Mullen was still sending a message in limiting his touches. We'll see if he can escape the doghouse, but he really needs to be our version of Jay Prosch. He'd be outstanding in that role.

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Agree to disagree I guess. I think it's ****ing stupid and it makes us look stupid. Put your best on the field and let them play and when they need a breather then put "1B" player in. Sorry but nobody watching our DBs get torched by UAB knows that they were backups. All they see is us looking like shit. That game should have never been that close or ever in question. Mark my words, this letting Dak play a series and then sit for few and then come back in will come back to haunt us vs. LSU. Dak needs his reps. Period

We were talking about defensive subs, not offensive. I agree the constant shuffling of Dak & Damian was a bad idea. But I'm also assuming, despite how good Dak looked running, it was done for injury related reasons. Mullen himself said Dak got "banged up" this week, whatever that meant. We all know Dak is our guy, and after UAB took the lead, we didn't see Damian again until garbage time.

jimbo352
09-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Because our second team secondary is not as talented as our 99 second team DL, that's why. And you say so surely that we will stop come SEC play....well I, like many others, have seen Mullen do some dumb shit, so I'll believe we stop rotating during SEC play when I see it with my own two eyes. This is, after all, the same Coach that sees no current problem with our kicking game. Think about it.

I like Dan Mullen, and he has done some awesome things for this program...but I'm also not naive enough to think he wouldn't consider rotating players the same way when we go to Death Valley. He does some strange stuff. And even if he stops, we are missing out on valuable time for our starters to gel and gain chemistry and rhythm.

For example, Dak's timing is off, and Damien stealing reps isn't going to make that better.

I'm of the belief that you rotate the DL/LB/Secondary against UAB, as you would in SEC play... If you're not going to sub as a unit against LSU, don't sub as a unit against UAB. Prep the team for exactly what will happen when big boy football starts.

It's the "pre season" against USM/UAB/etc... Is a dress rehearsal of sorts. You should practice the way you're going to play IMO. In musical theater in high school, we didn't rehearse the play differently than the way we performed it.... football=musical theatre****

but seriously... I'd like to see us come out and get shit done next game. With the same intensity and focus as eggbowl week. Just my two cents.

jimbo352
09-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Oh, and good write up WMD. I enjoyed it. Will definitely share it on facebook!

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 07:03 PM

For example, Dak's timing is off, and Damien stealing reps in between series isn't going to make that better. For either of them.

Obviously, but our starters in Calhoun and Redmond got burned, too. UAB has some FAST WRs. So let's not throw the 2nd string under the bus. A lot of it had to do with our defensive game plan. We could've adjusted and gone zone, but Collins was clearly working off of something he'd seen on film. I'm also guessing he wanted to see if our DBs would keep fighting after giving up a big play.

We all agree Mullen does stupid stuff. It is what it is. And it'll continue to drive all of us, me included, nuts sometimes. But I'd also guess Collins has a lot of say in how we sub defensively, and he must be ok with what we're doing or I'd suspect we see something different. I don't particularly like subbing a whole new 11 as a personal preference, but C34 is spot on about why we're doing it in his SMQB. We're putting guys in tough positions during the non-con to see who responds with the game on the line so we'll know who can be trusted come SEC play.

Like I said at the end, I'm sure we'll be here bitching about some of the same stuff next week after another "ugly" win. I'm just not going to lose my mind over it right now, outside of the ST clusterfrack.

GreenheadDawg
09-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Obviously, but our starters in Calhoun and Redmond got burned, too. UAB has some FAST WRs. So let's not throw the 2nd string under the bus. A lot of it had to do with our defensive game plan. We could've adjusted and gone zone, but Collins was clearly working off of something he'd seen on film. I'm also guessing he wanted to see if our DBs would keep fighting after giving up a big play.

We all agree Mullen does stupid stuff. It is what it is. And it'll continue to drive all of us, me included, nuts sometimes. But I'd also guess Collins has a lot of say in how we sub defensively, and he must be ok with what we're doing or I'd suspect we see something different. I don't particularly like subbing a whole new 11 as a personal preference, but C34 is spot on about why we're doing it in his SMQB. We're putting guys in tough positions during the non-con to see who responds with the game on the line so we'll know who can be trusted come SEC play.

Like I said at the end, I'm sure we'll be here bitching about some of the same stuff next week after another "ugly" win. I'm just not going to lose my mind over it right now, outside of the ST clusterfrack.

We aren't very good at zone either. When we ran zone their slot receivers could have pitched a tent, took a nap, then caught the ball cause nobody was near em. Thank God they had some drops and bad throws early. So we aren't good at zone coverage and not good at man? well that's less than ideal

Coach34
09-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Did we have a ST's cluster**** I didnt see? All I saw was some missed XP's?

I have given up on the kickers- I say go for 2 or go for it inside the opponents 35. Anybody expecting our FG kickers to get fixed is not being realistic. They are mental midgets and not going to be consistent

War Machine Dawg
09-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Did we have a ST's cluster**** I didnt see? All I saw was some missed XP's?

I have given up on the kickers- I say go for 2 or go for it inside the opponents 35. Anybody expecting our FG kickers to get fixed is not being realistic. They are mental midgets and not going to be consistent

C'mon, mane. You know this isn't about one particular ST clusterfrack or even one game. It's about 5+ seasons of the same stuff over and over aGAIN. Yes, our kickers are head cases. We all know this. But they are a whole lot bigger head cases than they should be because of the "coaching" they receive and the way they're handled. I love Mullen as much as you do, but this garbage has to change.

And let's not forget, you were the one trying to pump sunshine about McGrath leaving. You tried telling us it meant our other Ks had improved and it would've been MORE disappointing if McGrath had walked in and won the job with ease. The rest of us, many of whom love Mullen but aren't weirdly attached to his nuts, understood that likely meant we were in big trouble. McGrath really may have sucked worse, but I'd be hard pressed to believe it.

Mullen needs to pull his head out of his rectum about this and hold open tryouts. It's the only solution at this point.