PDA

View Full Version : My biggest concern....

Tough Dawg
09-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Our inability to play man coverage against a CUSA team. For us to be competitive IMO in the SEC West we've got to be able to rely on our corners to play man/press coverage especially with dual threat QBs such as A&M and Ole Miss.

I will say that UAB had a good receiving corp, and we did not respect their ability to throw the deep ball.

I think yesterday should serve as a wake up call for all our guys and coaches too. Can be seen as a humbling experience.

We got punched in the mouth, but responded well in the 2nd half.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Our inability to play man coverage against a CUSA team. For us to be competitive IMO in the SEC West we've got to be able to rely on our corners to play man/press coverage especially with dual threat QBs such as A&M and Ole Miss.

I will say that UAB had a good receiving corp, and we did not respect their ability to throw the deep ball.

I think yesterday should serve as a wake up call for all our guys and coaches too. Can be seen as a humbling experience.

Really the only one we didn't have covered, was Calhoun's. And that was because 1) he didn't get physical with him, and 2) because he got caught looking in the backfield. Redmond had his man covered up, but should have knocked it down. And you have to know that when you don't have safety help. You also can't wait for the ball to come to you,you have to go get it, or the WR will. Yesterday didn't tell me we can't cover one on one, it just told me we need to work on knocking the ball down and not getting caught with our eyes in the backfield. But that's just me.

Goat Holder
09-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Happens every year to every team that's any good. Typically mid Sept or late Oct. I credit Mullen for consistently winning these games, when no other coach in our history has been able to.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Really the only one we didn't have covered, was Calhoun's. And that was because 1) he didn't get physical with him, and 2) because he got caught looking in the backfield. Redmond had his man covered up, but should have knocked it down. And you have to know that when you don't have safety help. You also can't wait for the ball to come to you,you have to go get it, or the WR will. Yesterday didn't tell me we can't cover one on one, it just told me we need to work on knocking the ball down and not getting caught with our eyes in the backfield. But that's just me.

Redmond went for the int, got burned. Hopefully that is a learning experience, move along.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Happens every year to every team that's any good. Typically mid Sept or late Oct. I credit Mullen for consistently winning these games, when no other coach in our history has been able to.

Case-in-point, Auburn's wake-up call last year was the game against us. After that game, they went off.

Maroons
09-07-2014, 01:40 PM
This is also my concern from yesterday. On each of the three big TD's, we didn't get out schemed, we got beat one-on-one. On the first and third TD catches, their guy ran right by our guy (Calhoun and Irvin-Sills), and on the other, their guy went in the air to beat our guy (Redmond).

Maybe we were sitting on short routes based on film, but after it happens once, it shouldn't happen again.

UAB had a couple of good WR's, but we will see MUCH better when we play LSU, A&M, Auburn, and Bama.

Coach34
09-07-2014, 01:42 PM

Those same CB's did just fine vs Bama and Ole Missus last season. Our starting D gave up 1 TD. ONE

bluelightstar
09-07-2014, 01:43 PM
We'll know quickly if we've figured something out, because Cam Cameron is definitely going to see if he can pick on Calhoun deep.

I tend to think that 5 of those plays happening in one game is an anomaly. We'll see.

Tough Dawg
09-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Different year. You as a "former coach" should know that.