PDA

View Full Version : A lot of emotional discharge on the boards.....for nothing......

Goat Holder
09-07-2014, 10:24 AM
You complaining about the crowd? It was 189 degrees. It SUCKED. Should the students have stayed? Probably more than they did. But shit, give somebody a break. Especially all of you watching on TV. Walk the walk.

Mad about Mullen playing subs? He's just trying to develop the team, the same way King Jackie and Bill Snyder and all great 'have-not-ag-schools' do. It'll pay off against LSU or if we have injuries. It's his job to do that. You may say that UAB wasn't the team to do that against, and I'd probably agree. Point still stands.

UAB is a pretty good team, and we brought the typical mid-September/late-October C-game. Still blew them out.

Worried about the defense? See above comment. Plus all their yards were on like 4 big plays. Obviously we need to get that fixed though. But it is the 2nd game after all.

At the end of the day, my biggest complaint is why is Dak missing open receivers?

So back away from the ledge, and don't off yourself. Not even you, War Machine Dawg.

ETA: You are free to freak out about kicking. They are missing basic fundamentals. They deserve to get ridiculed.

defiantdog
09-07-2014, 10:35 AM
You complaining about the crowd? It was 189 degrees. It SUCKED. Should the students have stayed? Probably more than they did. But shit, give somebody a break. Especially all of you watching on TV. Walk the walk.

Mad about Mullen playing subs? He's just trying to develop the team, the same way King Jackie and Bill Snyder and all great 'have-not-ag-schools' do. It'll pay off against LSU or if we have injuries. It's his job to do that. You may say that UAB wasn't the team to do that against, and I'd probably agree. Point still stands.

UAB is a pretty good team, and we brought the typical mid-September/late-October C-game. Still blew them out.

Worried about the defense? See above comment. Plus all their yards were on like 4 big plays. Obviously we need to get that fixed though. But it is the 2nd game after all.

At the end of the day, my biggest complaint is why is Dak missing open receivers?

So back away from the ledge, and don't off yourself. Not even you, War Machine Dawg.

ETA: You are free to freak out about kicking. They are missing basic fundamentals. They deserve to get ridiculed.

I noticed Dak missed a few easy passes, but that could be because he had no rhythm out there. I expect that to be cleaned up once he starts playing more significant downs.

The kicking isn't worth talking about. They suck

RC3
09-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Dude you could kick as good as these guys. Seriously. It's inexplicable and we will lose at least one game this year because our lack of a consistent kicker. No improvement from last season and that's a big concern to me considering it was such an obvious weakness going into the offseason this winter. No reason to still be this bad. We are going to have to hire an actual special teams coach. Someone who knows what theyre doing.

Like I said in another thread I understand what dan is doing by rotating these kids in. I just don't think it's smart to do when you're in a tight game. Put a team away completely, then start experimenting. You reference several coaches. Nearly every coach I can think of puts a team away before experimenting. There's a reason you do it that way instead of putting a game at risk against a cupcake. Because it's the right way to do it.

MarketingBully01
09-07-2014, 10:43 AM

Wow, Goat making sense. Is this the new and improved Goat? Good post.

DudyDawg
09-07-2014, 10:46 AM
The kicking is god awful. I mean, embarrassing. At this point I want us to go for it when we cross the 45 and go for two. The average for Dakota to get a two pt conversion is better than whoever the hell we trot out to shank a 10 yard kick. Take their scholly and sit em. No point kicking anymore. Tired of it year after year

RC3
09-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Agreed on going for two. If we can't have a gimme extra point each time, we might as well go for two. It will probably average out ok for us. I mean if these clowns can't make an xp against UAB, I have zero faith in their ability to perform in say tiger stadium

MabenMaroon
09-07-2014, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=RC3;241767]Dude you could kick as good as these guys. Seriously. It's inexplicable and we will lose at least one game this year because our lack of a consistent kicker. No improvement from last season and that's a big concern to me considering it was such an obvious weakness going into the offseason this winter. No reason to still be this bad. We are going to have to hire an actual special teams coach. Someone who knows what theyre doing.

Like I said in another thread I understand what dan is doing by rotating these kids in. I just don't think it's smart to do when you're in a tight game. Put a team away completely, then start experimenting. You reference several coaches. Nearly every coach I can think of puts a team away before experimenting. There's a reason you do it that way instead of putting a game at risk against a cupcake. Because it's the right way to do it.[

Maybe what Coach Mullen is doing is thinking outside the box. Until we are stacked with talent 1 through 85+ that matches up with the LSU's, the Bama's etc. we are going to have to think outside of and go outside of the box in order to win against the upper echelon programs. To completely dispatch a lesser opponent early in a game with your number ones both offensively and defensively and then put your number twos/threes in to gain experience or experiment does nothing but put the back-ups in the stat book. The back-ups need to know where they stand and how they can perform against the opponents number ones when the opponents number ones are still in the game and and not demoralized. Then our back-ups truly learn what their deficiencies and weaknesses are and what they have to work on in practice in order to compete successfully against the upper echelon teams. Maybe that is what Coach Mullen is doing with the unconventional early substitutions? One common thing all of the real successful coaches have said when asked to assess Coach Mullen is that he is real intelligent and has a knack for unconventional thinking. ..... Food for thought .....

RC3
09-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Like I said I understand whAt he is doing. I just don't agree. Personal opinion

IMissJack
09-07-2014, 11:26 AM
The only thing I am really mad about is the kicking game. Mullen won't sack up and say it is on him for letting it get this bad. As I said yesterday, my 12 year old's team kicks extra points regularly. I have never seen a SEC team have such a bad kicking game for 2+ years. Yes there have been the occasional 1 year kicker meltdown, but everyone knew this was a major issue in the off season, and nothing has been accomplished, and it appears nothing will. Will this be Mullen's McCorvey? Not necessarily cost his job, but be the thing that keeps him from taking the team to the next level. A good kicker can save your butt in tight SEC games. It's a lot easier to drive the ball 50 yards and get 3 pts with a good kicker, than to have to drive 80 for a TD.

Goat Holder
09-07-2014, 01:21 PM
I noticed Dak missed a few easy passes, but that could be because he had no rhythm out there. I expect that to be cleaned up once he starts playing more significant downs.

Maybe. He's gotten better though. Last year he didn't even see the WR running open many times. He throws it now, just off a little. WRs didn't help him by dropping balls either. Bear and Tubby specifically.