PDA

View Full Version : Why the 1 PM kickoff? Simple, we play when the SEC tells us to play

Mutt the Hoople
09-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Since the ESPN/SEC Network deals, we get 10's of millions of dollars every year from the deal. We also have to play when they tell us to play. Alabama has a national following- they can tell the SEC WHEN they want to play, HOW they want to play, and WHICH REFS they want officiating their game. MState? Look for 11 AM-1 PM kickoffs for as far as the eye can see.

Dawg61
09-07-2014, 09:24 AM
It's bullshit to put the Mississippi teams on air at 1pm in September. It's dangerous too. That's all that MSU has to say to ensure it doesn't happen anymore. It's only 2 maybe 3 games in September that the SEC must pay attention to the heat when scheduling the tv times.

Dawg496
09-07-2014, 09:49 AM
FWIW, Alabama played at 11 yesterday.

bluelightstar
09-07-2014, 10:48 AM

That doesn't fit the conspiracy theory**

maroonmania
09-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Exactly, we kickoff when the networks tell us to whether its in September or November. Some of the posts on here yesterday criticizing how idiotic we were for scheduling a 1:00 kickoff in September were among the more moronic I can ever remember. I mean I can't believe anyone thinks we ASKED for an early afternoon kickoff on September 6th. And yes, the great Alabama kicked off at 11:00 yesterday which isn't much better than 1:00. In fact I prefer 1:00 where at least you don't have to take your breakfast to the game.

Dawg61
09-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Exactly, we kickoff when the networks tell us to whether its in September or November. Some of the posts on here yesterday criticizing how idiotic we were for scheduling a 1:00 kickoff in September were among the more moronic I can ever remember. I mean I can't believe anyone thinks we ASKED for an early afternoon kickoff on September 6th. And yes, the great Alabama kicked off at 11:00 yesterday which isn't much better than 1:00. In fact I prefer 1:00 where at least you don't have to take your breakfast to the game.

Somebody deserves to hear bitching for making MSU play at 1pm on Sept. 6th in that heat. That's insane and unfair to us and the players not to mention it's fu@king DANGEROUS! Shit I am surprised we didn't have some bluehairs keeling over yesterday.

Gordon Gekko
09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Somebody deserves to hear bitching for making MSU play at 1pm on Sept. 6th in that heat. That's insane and unfair to us and the players not to mention it's fu@king DANGEROUS! Shit I am surprised we didn't have some bluehairs keeling over yesterday.

What SEC team isn't in the same boat as far as Sept heat? Should all SEC games be banned before 6 pm?

RC3
09-07-2014, 11:47 AM
What SEC team isn't in the same boat as far as Sept heat? Should all SEC games be banned before 6 pm?

I think so until October. It's not safe for the players or fans. Saw several people going down with heat yesterday

TUSK
09-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Since the ESPN/SEC Network deals, we get 10's of millions of dollars every year from the deal. We also have to play when they tell us to play. Alabama has a national following- they can tell the SEC WHEN they want to play, HOW they want to play, and WHICH REFS they want officiating their game. MState? Look for 11 AM-1 PM kickoffs for as far as the eye can see.

Shuddup and cash the welfare check, MUTT...*

Dawg61
09-07-2014, 11:58 AM

4pm and on is fine but 1-4pm for one month should be avoided for teams in Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, LA, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina. It's dangerous. If it means having a 9pm kickoff time for 1 or 2 teams then that is better than yesterday. I don't think people can get much louder about how miserable they were yesterday. Everyone was complaining about the heat. The SEC needs to be proactive about this and protect its product. That means no more games between 1pm-4pm during September in those seven states.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 12:03 PM
http://runeatrepeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/its-too-hot.gif

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2014, 12:20 PM
All it is going to take is a player or worker having a heat stroke and calling Richard Schwartz for times to be changed. I don't think a fan would count because they chose to be there unless the concessions ran out of cold water. Speaking of which. When it is life threatening hot I think it would be a nice gesture if they dropped the price for a bottle of water from $4. When they want let you bring in anything with you an average family can't afford to buy water at the levels needed to stay hydrated. Especially if they brought their kids. Have a conscience and drop price for water only to $1.00.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
All it is going to take is a player or worker having a heat stroke and calling Richard Schwartz for times to be changed. I don't think a fan would count because they chose to be there unless the concessions ran out of cold water. Speaking of which. When it is life threatening hot I think it would be a nice gesture if they dropped the price for a bottle of water from $4. When they want let you bring in anything with you an average family can't afford to buy water at the levels needed to stay hydrated. Especially if they brought their kids. Have a conscience and drop price for water only to $1.00.

From what I've seen on Facebook and Twitter, a lot of the concession stands actually ran out of cold water bottles and decided to try and sell people cups of ice for $5 and $7 respectively for a Medium and Large cup.

IMissJack
09-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Always nice to hear from our token Bama Lowndes Co. sidewalk fan.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2014, 12:51 PM
From what I've seen on Facebook and Twitter, a lot of the concession stands actually ran out of cold water bottles and decided to try and sell people cups of ice for $5 and $7 respectively for a Medium and Large cup.

Wouldn't surprise me. They pulled that at a game back when I was a student. That is just unconscionable.

TUSK
09-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Always nice to hear from our token Bama Lowndes Co. sidewalk fan.

0 for 2.

scottycameron
09-07-2014, 01:09 PM

bluehairs? They're used to it, been in the heat (cold, rain, whatever) their whole lives. They didn't know it sucked. If anybody is going to "keel over" it's a whiny kid. Watching a replay of Florida E. Mich. from yesterday. Is it not hot in gainesville or do they not have a bunch of pussies enrolled?

TheRef
09-07-2014, 01:18 PM
bluehairs? They're used to it, been in the heat (cold, rain, whatever) their whole lives. They didn't know it sucked. If anybody is going to "keel over" it's a whiny kid. Watching a replay of Florida E. Mich. from yesterday. Is it not hot in gainesville or do they not have a bunch of pussies enrolled?

Per NWS ASOS history,

Starkville, Mississippi

12:50 - 90 ?F, 70 ?F Dewpoint, winds calm, Heat Index 96 ?F
13:50 - 93 ?F, 72 ?F Dewpoint, winds calm, Heat Index 101 ?F
14:45 - 91 ?F, 70 ?F Dewpoint, winds calm, Heat Index 96 ?F
15:45 - 93 ?F, 72 ?F Dewpoint, winds E @ 5 mph, Heat Index 101 ?F

Gainesville, Florida

12:53 - 77 ?F, 73 ?F Dewpoint, winds W @ 10 mph, Heat Index 78 ?F
13:53 - 78 ?F, 73 ?F Dewpoint, winds W @ 9 mph, Heat Index 80 ?F
14:53 - 79 ?F, 72 ?F Dewpoint, winds W @ 10 mph, Heat Index 82 ?F
15:53 - 79 ?F, 73 ?F Dewpoint, winds W @ 5 mph, Heat Index 82 ?F

So yes....it was hotter and more humid in Starkville than Gainesville.

Dawg61
09-07-2014, 01:21 PM

It isn't a macho contest. It's just flat out dumb to make MSU play just past high noon in September at home. No reason we should just bend over and take it. They can schedule us for 1pm games in October to make up for it but in September it's just recklessly stupid.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-07-2014, 01:22 PM

They did. I ended up buying a powerade since I was going to pay $5 either way.

bluelightstar
09-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Per NWS ASOS history,

Starkville, Mississippi

12:50 - 90 ?F, 70 ?F Dewpoint, winds calm, Heat Index 96 ?F
13:50 - 93 ?F, 72 ?F Dewpoint, winds calm, Heat Index 101 ?F
14:45 - 91 ?F, 70 ?F Dewpoint, winds calm, Heat Index 96 ?F
15:45 - 93 ?F, 72 ?F Dewpoint, winds E @ 5 mph, Heat Index 101 ?F

Gainesville, Florida

12:53 - 77 ?F, 73 ?F Dewpoint, winds W @ 10 mph, Heat Index 78 ?F
13:53 - 78 ?F, 73 ?F Dewpoint, winds W @ 9 mph, Heat Index 80 ?F
14:53 - 79 ?F, 72 ?F Dewpoint, winds W @ 10 mph, Heat Index 82 ?F
15:53 - 79 ?F, 73 ?F Dewpoint, winds W @ 5 mph, Heat Index 82 ?F

So yes....it was hotter and more humid in Starkville than Gainesville.

So many people's talking points falling apart when people bring facts.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 02:08 PM
I just looked up all of the ASOS histories for every SEC game yesterday. We were the hottest and most humid of every single game yesterday.....I will post the numbers if you want me to.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 02:19 PM

Because the blue hairs are in better shape and more conditioned to this "dangerous" weather you keep describing? Bitch bitch bitch... now get off the computer and go run a few miles instead.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 02:20 PM

NOW THAT is not right and something that should be bitched about.. Scott needs to know about that.

Mjoelner34
09-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Because the blue hairs are in better shape and more conditioned to this "dangerous" weather you keep describing? Bitch bitch bitch... now get off the computer and go run a few miles instead.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'bluehairs' are more conditioned to the heat.
#playstation

TheRef
NOW THAT is not right and something that should be bitched about.. Scott needs to know about that.

Sadly, Scott may have little to no say on prices. All of that is run by Aramark.

DawgSaint
Crickets...people don't like facts

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 02:23 PM
It isn't a macho contest. It's just flat out dumb to make MSU play just past high noon in September at home. No reason we should just bend over and take it. They can schedule us for 1pm games in October to make up for it but in September it's just recklessly stupid.

Dear god you are freaking tool and just dont get it. its not about screwing anyone and its not gonna change. if you dont like it have a silent protest in front of campus (i hear that worked in the past) and dont go to the game or support the university who takes the money and plays when we are told to.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I will say this. I've worked on farms in the middle of the Summer for 4-5 years. Corn, soybeans, rice, cotton, wheat. Something that is kind forgotten in this whole argument is the fact that concrete absorbs and radiates a good amount of heat. Not to mention that dark clothes will absorb heat and inherently increase the temperature you feel due to albedo (I'd rather not go through the albedo numbers again, but I will if need be). Now I stayed the entire game, but I honestly don't blame people for leaving with heat indices over 100 F according to ASOS reports. Once you hit 100 F on heat indices, you start toeing the heat advisory line which is nationally advised to take frequent water and shade breaks. Also, I know that one time that I left to refill my water bottle in the sink, the walls of the concourse were lined with people taking a break from the direct sunlight.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Sadly, Scott may have little to no say on prices. All of that is run by Aramark.

Scott can provide feedback that more water should have been ordered and if future problems occur we can goto another vendor.

Further more, to everyone complaining, I guess I never really looked around but are there not water fountains?, I know there are sinks you can fill your bottles up with in the restrooms...

TheRef
09-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Scott can provide feedback that more water should have been ordered and if future problems occur we can goto another vendor.

Further more, to everyone complaining, I guess I never really looked around but are there not water fountains?, I know there are sinks you can fill your bottles up with in the restrooms...

Apparently there are a couple in the 300 section...I didn't see any in my walks around the lower area. I just kept refilling my water bottle with sink water which isn't cold at all. It's like luke-warm.

Mutt the Hoople
09-07-2014, 02:31 PM
I know this is blasphemy, but why not fill your water bottle with the water from the restroom sink? It may not taste as good, but it's free and it's wet.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 02:32 PM
I know this is blasphemy, but why not fill your water bottle with the water from the restroom sink? It may not taste as good, but it's free and it's wet.

I did that. It doesn't bother me. Apparently it bothers others and they think it's only good if it's ice cold. It's a mental thing for some.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I will say this. I've worked on farms in the middle of the Summer for 4-5 years. Corn, soybeans, rice, cotton, wheat. Something that is kind forgotten in this whole argument is the fact that concrete absorbs and radiates a good amount of heat. Not to mention that dark clothes will absorb heat and inherently increase the temperature you feel due to albedo (I'd rather not go through the albedo numbers again, but I will if need be). Now I stayed the entire game, but I honestly don't blame people for leaving with heat indices over 100 F according to ASOS reports. Once you hit 100 F on heat indices, you start toeing the heat advisory line which is nationally advised to take frequent water and shade breaks. Also, I know that one time that I left to refill my water bottle in the sink, the walls of the concourse were lined with people taking a break from the direct sunlight.

Ref, this is why I stayed away from generalist statements, obviously you are not the norm bud. I would of been right by you the whole game and going to get water also.

Now.. on the fact yesterday was supposed to be a Maroon Out i believe? Well that is on marketing and scott. Just say no to Maroon Outs in September. No way they can know the tv schedule when that is released with the schedule so just be smart and keep it a white out or no designation.

I

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Honestly, yes. It just isn't very safe.

The bad thing is doing that would probably mean that we would see more Thursday and Friday games across the league. And I'll just have to get over that.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Ref, this is why I stayed away from generalist statements, obviously you are not the norm bud. I would of been right by you the whole game and going to get water also.

Now.. on the fact yesterday was supposed to be a Maroon Out i believe? Well that is on marketing and scott. Just say no to Maroon Outs in September. No way they can know the tv schedule when that is released with the schedule so just be smart and keep it a white out or no designation.

I

I agree. The True Maroon designation for this game was silly. First couple games of the season should just be white outs due to the heat problems that you WILL experience in September in Mississippi. If I could talk to Marketing, that would be something I would tell them. No True Maroon/Black out games in the early part of the season. It's asking for problems. White-outs or "Dress as you'd like" would be what I would do. When it's cold, then you can do whatever you want for dress-suggestions.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Some of the people I was sitting around actually had a good idea. For games such as this, set up some of those big mister fans around the concourse. You have to make every reasonable course of action to prevent heat stroke events. That's one easy and relatively cheap way to do that.

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Some of the people I was sitting around actually had a good idea. For games such as this, set up some of those big mister fans around the concourse. You have to make every reasonable course of action to prevent heat stroke events. That's one easy and relatively cheap way to do that.

I've been to stadiums that have fans and things like that to help with heat.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 02:41 PM

That would of been a nice suggestion if we were building a new concourse or something....

TheRef
09-07-2014, 02:42 PM
That would of been a nice suggestion if we were building a new concourse or something....

I see what you did there.

scottycameron
09-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Yeah, but I bet those farms weren't around starkville, the hottest location in the country. I bet you worked somewhere down in Florida where it's cool.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah, but I bet those farms weren't around starkville, the hottest location in the country. I bet you worked somewhere down in Florida where it's cool.

Greenville, MS in the middle of the Mississippi Delta....so it's worse.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Greenville, MS in the middle of the Mississippi Delta....so it's worse.

With mosquitoes the size of pterodactyls.

DudyDawg
09-07-2014, 02:58 PM

I worked on north farm at state. "The hottest location in the country". It was never as bad as yesterday. There was shade, breeze, breaks.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2014, 03:05 PM
You folks would have had a really hard time prior to 1985, really hard.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Why? I'm genuinely curious.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Makes two of us. I was alive prior to 1985 and don't remember much changing that year.

BrunswickDawg
09-07-2014, 03:27 PM

No joke. I never say stuff like this, but you young guys bitching about the heat sound like a bunch of *****s. It's hot, and sunny. Wear a hat, drink some water, and get over it. I made it through the 91 Texas game in sport coat & tie with only bourbon to cool me off, y'all can survive this.

scottycameron
09-07-2014, 03:30 PM
No joke. I never say stuff like this, but you young guys bitching about the heat sound like a bunch of *****s. It's hot, and sunny. Wear a hat, drink some water, and get over it. I made it through the 91 Texas game in sport coat & tie with only bourbon to cool me off, y'all can survive this.

probably a white sport coat, though. No way it was a dark one. It's humanly impossible, and that's just science.

TUSK
09-07-2014, 03:37 PM
With mosquitoes the size of pterodactyls.

I once saw a MS River Delta skeeter mount a wild turkey.... flat-footed.

BrunswickDawg
09-07-2014, 03:38 PM
probably a white sport coat, though. No way it was a dark one. It's humanly impossible, and that's just science.
It was after Labor Day, no way I was wearing white.

TheRef
09-07-2014, 03:40 PM
I once saw a MS River Delta skeeter mount a wild turkey.... flat-footed.

We laugh and say that the MS Delta mosquito should be the state bird. Then we shiver and promise to never think of those birds again.

Drugdog
09-07-2014, 04:17 PM
There is NO place hotter or more humid than the Delta. U have to experience it to believe it. I lived there for 35 years.
Biggest baddest sceeters in the world.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2014, 04:23 PM
There is NO place hotter or more humid than the Delta. U have to experience it to believe it. I lived there for 35 years.
Biggest baddest sceeters in the world.
Originally from Greenwood. I can testify to that. When you mosquitoes getting tattoos you know they are mean.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2014, 05:40 PM

The ones complaining about the heat at the ballgame would. Prior to that we had no lights at the stadium. It didn't matter a whole lot though because most college games were day games till so many games started being on TV, 85 was about when that started to take hold. The standard start time was 1:30 PM.

dawg27
09-07-2014, 05:53 PM
ya i agree i believe we have the worst student fan base there is,i was there it looked terrible that we all them empty seats. I know it was hot but i made it 4 quarters and them blue hairs u talking about made it to ther is only 6 sometimes 7 home games that is it u cant stay stay past halve time

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Saw a post on another board where someone did the math on the water. If everybody bought one bottle of water yesterday at $4, that's $200,000. You can buy 50,000 bottles of water at WalMart for less than $10,000. I'd say Stricklin needs to take a look at getting that straightened out, especially during September. Some people, especially students I'm sure, can't afford to buy multiple bottles of water (which is needed) at $4 a bottle. Not trying to sound like a cheap ass, and if Stricklin doesn't mind having a half full stadium in the second half, by all means don't change it....but people need water when it's that hot, and from what I hear they not only charged $4, but ran out not long after halftime.

I think the "it was too hot" discussion sounds kind of weak....but not having water is a whole different story. That needs to be addressed.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Normally, I can handle heat. I sat in the east side upper deck the entire Alcorn game last year. Never bothered me. Something just seemed different yesterday. I am not sure what. Maybe there was more of a breeze at the Alcorn game. Don't know what the difference was. Just know there was one.

Jack Lambert
09-07-2014, 07:00 PM

That's when I was in highschool. It wasn't any harder I was just younger.

Dawg61
09-07-2014, 10:34 PM
just heard the sad news, R.I.P. Jack, sad day

Dawg61
09-08-2014, 07:37 AM

Dear god you are freaking tool and just dont get it. its not about screwing anyone and its not gonna change. if you dont like it have a silent protest in front of campus (i hear that worked in the past) and dont go to the game or support the university who takes the money and plays when we are told to.

You're running away and hiding for worst mod on here. Not sure who shit in your Cheerios but you've been awful to interact with as a poster this last month. You were relatively quiet and decent before then. Now you've turned into a hellacious asshole. The heat doesn't bother me but it clearly does to many many others that are trying to speak up about it. I am simply trying to help them be heard. If there wasn't assholes like you in this world people like me wouldn't have to stand up and say something. What difference does it make to you whether the game is at 1pm or 6pm? You'll be an asshole still at both times so you might as well be a few degrees more comfortable.