PDA

View Full Version : I have a feeling...

drummerdawg
09-06-2014, 11:28 PM
That we will still be seeing the rotation of QBs for a while. Or maybe I just took it the wrong way, but it sounded like he likes what we're doing with them.

http://www.hailstate.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?SPSID=90889&SPID=10997&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=16800&id=3385615&db_oem_id=16800

bluelightstar
09-06-2014, 11:31 PM
He made a very interesting comment on how he rotates guys at every position and QB is no different. Well, I think it should be.

archdog
09-06-2014, 11:42 PM
He didn't rotate Tebow. Let your best players dominate. No one has ever won the SEC with rotating qbs constantly. Hell I have never even seen a winning team do it. Maybe LSU when Jefferson was sucking it up.

I strongly believe in rotating RBs, to change the pace of the game and to get fresh legs, but not qbs. Not when possessions are precious. Not when you only have a 7 pt lead.

Now take all of this with a grain of salt due to the unknown nature of Daks injury. But since Mullen doesnt talk about injuries, he can listen to people ralking shit on his gameplan.

With all that being said, Williams shows promise, but with Holloway back there ds are not intimidated.

archdog
09-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Hell all this bitching and we won. Outside of 5 passes, we win by 35.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Dan is such a smart ass when he has a bad coaching day. Ha

He acted like the kickers were fine. He acted like his offense wasn't any different with Damien, it was just "play calling" that slowed us down when Dak wasn't in there. But then he wants to call out the defensive coaches about the amount of yards they gave up? Come on, mane.

It sounds like we will be stuck with Damirn every other series for the rest of the year, if for no other reason, because Dan wants to be able to shove it up the reporter's noses that act like he's wrong for doing it. Hell, after watching that presser, I'm just glad Dak jumped in there and stole a series from Damien in the second half. Dan said "I thought Damien was going in on one series in the second half, but Dak jumped in there while I was on the phone with the defensive coaches". Are you effing kidding me, man? This may be a long frustrating year, regardless of whether we win 6 or 12 games. Mullen makes me want to bang my face into a wall sometimes.

cheewgumm
09-06-2014, 11:52 PM
He's gonna be in trouble if we barely lose and Williams plays a lot. I wouldn't take that chance against LSU. Or AUB, or ALA etc...

You can't lose by a TD and have Willams play 3 or 4 series.

It's so ludicrous I don't even fear it because there is now way it
Will happen. I just wish Dak was getting all the reps for practice(like many others have said).

Todd4State
09-06-2014, 11:56 PM
He didn't rotate Tebow. Let your best players dominate. No one has ever won the SEC with rotating qbs constantly. Hell I have never even seen a winning team do it. Maybe LSU when Jefferson was sucking it up.

I strongly believe in rotating RBs, to change the pace of the game and to get fresh legs, but not qbs. Not when possessions are precious. Not when you only have a 7 pt lead.

Now take all of this with a grain of salt due to the unknown nature of Daks injury. But since Mullen doesnt talk about injuries, he can listen to people ralking shit on his gameplan.

With all that being said, Williams shows promise, but with Holloway back there ds are not intimidated.

Well, he wasn't the head coach when he was coaching Tebow too. No way Urban Meyer would have allowed Dan to rotate QB's when they had Tebow. ESPN would have raked him over the coals for rotating their chosen one like he is doing with Dak.

Here's what I don't understand about it- why is he doing this now when he has never done it before in the past? Doing this with Relf and Lee or maybe even Relf and Tyler would have made some sense in the past. But Dak is clearly better than Damien.

Rotating QB's has proven time and time again to not work. The only time I could see a two QB system work is if you had a situation like Florida did with Leak and Tebow where you had maybe a guy that was more advanced and a better passer and then maybe a guy that was a power running QB where there is a contrast between the two. And then it worked because they used them based on the situation where Leak played the majority of the time and Tebow was used kind of randomly or mostly in short yardage.

Bully Dee Williams
09-06-2014, 11:56 PM
^agree...

I love Mullen 95% of the time, but that other 5% makes me want to pull my hair out. I understand giving subs reps when it makes sense in games. I would just prefer to see the majority of those reps happen when we are crushing teams. When has an SEC coach ever pulled stuff like this to this extent?

HoopsDawg
09-06-2014, 11:57 PM
He made a very interesting comment on how he rotates guys at every position and QB is no different. Well, I think it should be.

He has said that in the past and it really makes me wonder. Of course QB is different! Every fckin coach and player who has played QB knows its different. It scares the hell out of me with Mullen b/c we are talking about a guy who played 3 QB's in one drive once in a tight game. He brought in Dylan fckn Favre to throw a pass that Tyler Russell could have thrown. When questioned about it, he said "we rotated RB's too why don't you ask me about that". The game plan, subs, and play calling against Rice in the bowl game almost made me forget about some of the dumb shit Mullen does, but now it's all coming back to me. I think we are look at a 7-5 season if he keeps trying to play 65 players in key spots.

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Dan is such a smart ass when he has a bad coaching day. Ha

He acted like the kickers were fine. He acted like his offense wasn't any different with Damien, it was just "play calling" that slowed us down when Dak wasn't in there. But then he wants to call out the defensive coaches about the amount of yards they gave up? Come on, mane.

It sounds like we will be stuck with Damirn every other series for the rest of the year, if for no other reason, because Dan wants to be able to shove it up the reporter's noses that act like he's wrong for doing it. Hell, after watching that presser, I'm just glad Dak jumped in there and stole a series from Damien in the second half. Dan said "I thought Damien was going in on one series in the second half, but Dak jumped in there while I was on the phone with the defensive coaches". Are you effing kidding me, man? This may be a long frustrating year, regardless of whether we win 6 or 12 games. Mullen makes me want to bang my face into a wall sometimes.

I'm telling you- he lacks insight into what the players can do in actual game situations. It's probably his biggest weakness as a coach.

It's like he doesn't get that practice and the game are two totally different things.

He wants everyone to practice at 100% all the time- which I can understand that- but it's like that's all he bases his personnel decisions solely on. He needs to understand that sometimes the guys that aren't as good practice harder because they know that's only way they'll ever get on the field, but that doesn't mean make Chris Jones 1B.

maroonmania
09-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Right now its a SIGNIFICANT dropoff from Prescott to Williams. If anyone can't see that then they are blind, including Mullen. If we had 2 QBs that were performing at roughly the same level a rotation wouldn't be ideal to me but would be acceptable. Given the current situation its asinine if he plans to rotate the QBs regularly against SEC competition.

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 12:02 AM
And why do we get coaches that think that you have to make mass subs all the time? First Stansbury and now Dan.

That has to be part of the indian curse.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 12:04 AM
I think Dan has been watching Cohen coach too much... he is using these non-conference games as scrimmages and just confirmed that without saying as much. yes we won, but at what expense? Dak needs work and more confidence in his passing before we head down to death valley.

and Yes, Dan is a smart ass... its enduring and annoying at the same times. If the kickers are fine, we have one HORRIBLE long snapper and Knox and him cant teach shit.

I just cant believe it. Dak is being talked about Heisman potential and one of the best qb's coming back in the sec. And he is splitting game time and stats. Its ridiculous. And it cant be proved but its going to cost us a game.

Todd4State
Right now its a SIGNIFICANT dropoff from Prescott to Williams. If anyone can't see that then they are blind, including Mullen. If we had 2 QBs that were performing at roughly the same level a rotation wouldn't be ideal to me but would be acceptable. Given the current situation its asinine if he plans to rotate the QBs regularly against SEC competition.

Yeah- a lot of our fans give Damien a pass for the Arkansas game and the Egg Bowl I think, and maybe it was because he was a freshman. But his passing right now is pretty bad. He runs pretty well. But we're very one dimensional when he is in the game.

BulldogBear
Maybe they can make an SEC storied doc on this season. "The season that was subbed away."

thf24
09-07-2014, 12:05 AM
I was ok with it against USM and even today at first (and was relieved to see him leave Dak in when it was clear we needed to get the game in hand), but if he does it even once before at least halftime against USA, he is a fool. I'm trying to tell myself right now that surely he's going to take this scrappy team playing at home seriously, but I just can't get rid of the nagging doubt.

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 12:06 AM
I think Dan has been watching Cohen coach too much... he is using these non-conference games as scrimmages and just confirmed that without saying as much. yes we won, but at what expense? Dak needs work and more confidence in his passing before we head down to death valley.

and Yes, Dan is a smart ass... its enduring and annoying at the same times. If the kickers are fine, we have one HORRIBLE long snapper and Knox and him cant teach shit.

I just cant believe it. Dak is being talked about Heisman potential and one of the best qb's coming back in the sec. And he is splitting game time and stats. Its ridiculous. And it cant be proved but its going to cost us a game.

Dak already has 9 TD's passing/rushing right now. I wonder what they would be if he played more than 60% of the time?

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 12:07 AM
I was ok with it against USM and even today at first (and was relieved to see him leave Dak in when it was clear we needed to get the game in hand), but if he does it even once before at least halftime against USA, he is a fool. I'm trying to tell myself right now that surely he's going to take this scrappy team playing at home seriously, but I just can't get rid of the nagging doubt.

Get ready for it.. Its going to happen. Hopefully Dak comes out and scores again to put us up 7-0 before it becomes tied up and Damien trots on the field.

What a minute.. its finally happened, the backup QB is actually not the mostloved player on the ...

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 12:08 AM

I hate to say it, but I think that's when Dak sneaked in while Dan was on the phone.

So, apparently the solution to all of this is to call Dan before the offense goes out on the field.

cheewgumm
09-07-2014, 12:09 AM
A lot of times Dan is too smart by half.

Chris Jones 1b is retarded. He's a freaking pre-season all American. Put him next to P Smith and let's cause some havoc.

I'm not too concerned because I think they will be forced to do it but they should not have to be forced and the first time they play meaningful minutes should not be at Tiger stadium against LSU.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Dak already has 9 TD's passing/rushing right now. I wonder what they would be if he played more than 60% of the time?

I would add 3 more. Not to mention remember he was kept from running against USM, Im sure he would of gotten a rushing TD then also if he had been allowed.
So that would be 11 passing and 2 rushing in theory. Say another 100 yards passing and 50 yards rushing (very likely but of course pulled out of my brain with no factual) those would be numbers the school and espn could promote.

Todd4State
Get ready for it.. Its going to happen. Hopefully Dak comes out and scores again to put us up 7-0 before it becomes tied up and Damien trots on the field.

What a minute.. its finally happened, the backup QB is actually not the mostloved player on the ...

That is one good thing about this. We don't have to hear random people talk about how "(insert back-up QB here) is the real deal and the players on the team all think he should be starting over (insert starting QB here)."

Maybe Dan really is a genius after all.

CadaverDawg

Excellent post. I agree 100%

BulldogBear
09-07-2014, 12:12 AM

Apparently they don't, just like they couldn't see the significant drop off from JRob to Perk last season. The difference then was that LP had experience, may have been a better blocker and brought more to the table overall though not in raw yard production. You don't have that with Dak to Damien dynamic.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 12:12 AM
A lot of times Dan is too smart by half.

Chris Jones 1b is retarded. He's a freaking pre-season all American. Put him next to P Smith and let's cause some havoc.

I'm not too concerned because I think they will be forced to do it but they should not have to be forced and the first time they play meaningful minutes should not be at Tiger stadium against LSU.

Oh i think its going to be right for LSU, the problem is that will be the first game where he play a full game instead of subbing every other time, offense needs a rhythm.

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2014, 12:14 AM
That is one good thing about this. We don't have to hear random people talk about how "(insert back-up QB here) is the real deal and the players on the team all think he should be starting over (insert starting QB here)."

Maybe Dan really is a genius after all.

Well actually we have skipped that. Now everyone is debating if Fitz is better than Damien when he hasnt ever played a down. So on second thought..its still there.. its just a debate about who is better the 2nd or 3rd string Qb.

BulldogBear
09-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Oh i think its going to be right for LSU, the problem is that will be the first game where he play a full game instead of subbing every other time, offense needs a rhythm.

+1000

thunderclap
09-07-2014, 07:47 AM
If he gives away series in an SEC game then he is the dumbest son of a bitch coaching today

MaxedOutMaroon
09-07-2014, 07:58 AM

It sure as hell is different. He doesn't rotate Offensive Linemen. He doesn't need to rotate QB's. It prevents rhythm and doesn't work. With our depth, WR and RB are different and can be rotated.

Saltydog
09-07-2014, 08:04 AM
said. Mullen's arrogance may end up being his achilles.

PMDawg
09-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Watching that makes me sick. I was sure we would beat LSU this year. We have the better roster. Yesterday reminded me of why we have 0 chance to win that game. If he wants to play all this 1A and 1B bullshit (hey Dan, they are second string, and your second string offense is a huge drop off), then he will lose us some games we could win. It wouldnt be so bad if he would just make some small changes. Leave Dak in the whole game. Run Robinson as much as he can take. Put chris jones with the first team. If he doesnt make at least those 3 changes, he is an idiot. Plain and simple.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Watching that makes me sick. I was sure we would beat LSU this year. We have the better roster. Yesterday reminded me of why we have 0 chance to win that game. If he wants to play all this 1A and 1B bullshit (hey Dan, they are second string, and your second string offense is a huge drop off), then he will lose us some games we could win. It wouldnt be so bad if he would just make some small changes. Leave Dak in the whole game. Run Robinson as much as he can take. Put chris jones with the first team. If he doesnt make at least those 3 changes, he is an idiot. Plain and simple.

I can't argue any of that. Well said.

thunderclap
09-07-2014, 10:12 AM

I felt the same way yesterday. I realized we are only going to win seven or eight games forever as long as he can't do any better than this in the middle of the game.

FlabLoser
09-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Our 1st team offense can name the score against UAB. Mullen platooned people to get then experience.

What a disaster last year would have been if we didn't have an experienced #2 QB after Russell got hurt.

You folks complaining about the #2 QB getting PT would be the first yelling "fire Dan" when Dak gets hurt and we don't have a #2 QB ready.

thunderclap
09-07-2014, 10:41 AM
There are plenty of times in these first three games to give him some playing time. But taking away half the first half series from the best quarterback we've ever had in the second game of the year is ridiculous to me. And Dak has only started a handful of games anyway.

bluelightstar
09-07-2014, 10:45 AM
You can get Damian experience without changing the quarterback EVERY series. It is honestly one of the dumbest things I have seen a coach do.

AROB44
09-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Our 1st team offense can name the score against UAB. Mullen platooned people to get then experience.

What a disaster last year would have been if we didn't have an experienced #2 QB after Russell got hurt.

You folks complaining about the #2 QB getting PT would be the first yelling "fire Dan" when Dak gets hurt and we don't have a #2 QB ready.

Thank you for this. I'll defer judgement yo Mullen over anyone else. He hasn't done too bad so far. There is a reason we have so much depth.

PMDawg
09-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Youre wrong all the way around. I like williams getting some reps, but not with back ups all around him and not in the first quarter. Give him all of the starters and a 14 point or 21 point lead and its a great idea. The way we did it yesterday was ignorant. At least give him robinson over holloway and our starting tackles.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 10:48 AM

And when our starting QB still doesn't have his timing down and is missing WR's against LSU, I'll say, "well at least Damien is capable of losing this one for us if Dak goes down". There is zero way of justifying bringing Damien in every other series and throwing off the rhythm and momentum. But it's a broken record at this point. It's over now, might as well move on I guess.

engie
09-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Let us compare Dak's "experience" when Russell went down to Damian's as of today.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140907-jfog-41kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140907-jfog-41kb)
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140907-jlmx-42kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140907-jlmx-42kb)
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140907-cslj-34kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140907-cslj-34kb)

Damian is FAR more experienced than Dak was when Russell went down. Enough is enough. I thought and heard Damian was alot further along. If he is -- he's failing to prove it -- and the opportunity cost is too high. He's killing what could easily be a tremendous national Prescott buzz 2 weeks in in the process. Dak is scoring every 8.5 plays right now. Damian's snaps have taken away at least 2 and possibly as many as 4 additional Dak TDs in the process. As is, Dak is tied for the national lead in touchdown passes at this moment.

Time to ride the damn hype train for a change instead of trying to kill it in names of a "1B" recruiting pitch. Take this into consideration after 2 weeks playing less than 2/3 of our drives.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140907-cvna-48kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140907-cvna-48kb)

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Let us compare Dak's "experience" when Russell went down to Damian's as of today.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140907-jfog-41kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140907-jfog-41kb)
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140907-jlmx-42kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140907-jlmx-42kb)
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140907-cslj-34kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140907-cslj-34kb)

Damian is FAR more experienced than Dak was when Russell went down. Enough is enough. I thought and heard Damian was alot further along. If he is -- he's failing to prove it -- and the opportunity cost is too high. He's killing what could easily be a tremendous national Prescott buzz 2 weeks in in the process. Dak is scoring every 8.5 plays right now. Damian's snaps have taken away at least 2 and possibly as many as 4 additional Dak TDs in the process. As is, Dak is tied for the national lead in touchdown passes at this moment.

Time to ride the damn hype train for a change instead of trying to kill it in names of a "1B" recruiting pitch. Take this into consideration after 2 weeks playing less than 2/3 of our drives.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140907-cvna-48kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140907-cvna-48kb)

Bingo