PDA

View Full Version : Turning this game into a situational scrimmage was wrong and Mullen should appologize

codeDawg
09-06-2014, 09:00 PM
With a few exceptions, I'm not really concerned about how the team played today. When the screws were turned tight, the guys stepped up and did what needed to be done. They are a very good team when they are just asked to do what they need to do.

I also get what Mullen wanted to accomplish today. Get reps on the 2nd team. Don't get beat up before the SEC gauntlet. Fine. Teams do it all the time by taking out the first team when the game is well in hand.

What Mullen did today was BS. No matter what your intentions or the opportunity, 60K+ people paid good money to come to Starkville to watch our team play football, not to watch Mullen experiment and slide out with a W. This was one of very few home games people pay hundreds to thousands of dollars to enjoy, and he jacked around for three hours.

I don't want Dak to get hurt. I want our 1B team or whatever you want to call it to get reps. I want us prepared for tough situations, but not on my dime Mullen. People don't load their families into cars and drive several hours to stand around in the heat and humidity and spend their hard earned money to watch the team practice.

This quite obviously wasn't a team getting beat by talent or scheme. This was an easy win that Mullen intentionally turned into a contest and let it get out of hand.

Don't do this shit again.

Smitty
09-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Boom! Agreed 100%! Get up 42-0 at halftime and experiment all you want for 30 minutes while everyone (but me and 20K others) is back at the tailgate.

Homedawg
09-06-2014, 09:05 PM
We won, move on. Nobody will remember in November, December, next year or 20 years from now the score. We won. I remember too many times we lose on day like today. We didn't. I get it we can't play like today to beat Lsu, ole miss, etc. But we weren't playing them!

Vandelay Industries
09-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Bravo sir, completely agree

Todd4State
09-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I wonder how much of the rotating was due to Dak being hurt? I ask that because last week Dak played two series before we put the second unit in. And then Dak came back in and played the rest of the half if I remember correctly. At least most of it.

codeDawg
09-06-2014, 09:29 PM
I wonder how much of the rotating was due to Dak being hurt? I ask that because last week Dak played two series before we put the second unit in. And then Dak came back in and played the rest of the half if I remember correctly. At least most of it.

If it had just been Williams with the starters, that's one thing, but it was wholesale subs the entire game. He was obviously toying and testing 1's and 2's.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2014, 09:32 PM
My question is, what's wrong with just bringing in a sub or two at a time? Why the hell do we have to make an entire team shift? Its just an odd ing all around, from the decision to the way we execute it

Smitty
09-06-2014, 09:36 PM
My question is, what's wrong with just bringing in a sub or two at a time? Why the hell do we have to make an entire team shift? Its just an odd ing all around, from the decision to the way we execute it

Yep, when in the hell are we going to go full subs other than blasting Vandy, Martin, and Ole Miss.

One or 2 at a time gives reps where they may actually be used.

fishwater99
09-06-2014, 09:42 PM
We will remember in November when haven't beaten an SEC West team

You don't do that crap in the 1st half, more less the 1st quarter.

bluelightstar
09-06-2014, 09:48 PM

It is honestly inexplicable. I know (hope?) Mullen wouldn't do that in an SEC game, but it's literally not something that I have ever seen a college football coach do. Even ones that play scrubs.

codeDawg
09-06-2014, 10:30 PM

You know when you do this? Practice. He treated this game like a scrimmage, only lots of people paid good money and spent their non-working and family time to come watch it. Total bullshit.

Homedawg
09-06-2014, 10:32 PM
If it had just been Williams with the starters, that's one thing, but it was wholesale subs the entire game. He was obviously toying and testing 1's and 2's.

Wholesale subs the entire game on offense? Hmm. I missed that one. Backs, wr, and te change a lot. But the ol didn't change a lot. The 2's were given a shot again and that's it. Maybe we have a different definition of entire game.

bulldogcountry1
09-06-2014, 10:38 PM
People don't load their families into cars and drive several hours to stand around in the heat and humidity and spend their hard earned money to watch the team practice.

This quite obviously wasn't a team getting beat by talent or scheme. This was an easy win that Mullen intentionally turned into a contest and let it get out of hand.

I guess you aren't aware of Super Bulldog Weekend.

I'm with you, though. It's why I don't go to the spring game.

Dawg61
09-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Mullen is trying to build depth all over the field. Nobody is bitching if our QB and HB are getting it done but they aren't. Time for Fitzgerald and Aries to get looks at QB and HB. Williams and Shump have done nothing to prove they deserve 1b status and Holloway is only good on wr sweeps when he isn't lined up as a HB. Did Griffin get the day off today? He had 2 carries.

codeDawg
09-06-2014, 10:44 PM
I guess you aren't aware of Super Bulldog Weekend.

I'm with you, though. It's why I don't go to the spring game.

You know what you are getting yourself into on SBW. It's not one of few home games you pay a lot of money for.

PMDawg
09-06-2014, 11:16 PM

Right, and even then give williams some chances with JRob in there. 3 and outs arent helping anyone. Our offense is light years better when josh is in the game.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Right, and even then give williams some chances with JRob in there. 3 and outs arent helping anyone. Our offense is light years better when josh is in the game.

Yea, sticking him with Holloway as his RB is like throwing him out there with a blind fold on. I will never understand Mullen's obsession with running a little speedy tailback up the middle that can't break a tackle. But I guess that's a different rant for a different day.

shoeless joe
09-06-2014, 11:21 PM
We won, move on. Nobody will remember in November, December, next year or 20 years from now the score. We won. I remember too many times we lose on day like today. We didn't. I get it we can't play like today to beat Lsu, ole miss, etc. But we weren't playing them!

Best post on here since the game started

TimberBeast
09-06-2014, 11:41 PM
You know when you do this? Practice. He treated this game like a scrimmage, only lots of people paid good money and spent their non-working and family time to come watch it. Total bullshit.

Watching Dan coach our offense pretty much makes me sick to my stomach, from Perkins over JRob last year, to the garbage offensive substitutions all around today, to not running the ball when we need to, passing on first down with JRob in the backfield, the offenive playcalling is a nightmare, not to mention the special teams play. But, the fans at the game and money spent have absolutely nothing to do with coaching our football team. There is a football game being played on the field, and there are fans in the stand watching the game, but other than the team feeding off the excitement of the fans, they have nothing to do with each other. If the coach is worried about what the fans want, he won't be coaching long.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2014, 11:59 PM
With a few exceptions, I'm not really concerned about how the team played today. When the screws were turned tight, the guys stepped up and did what needed to be done. They are a very good team when they are just asked to do what they need to do.

I also get what Mullen wanted to accomplish today. Get reps on the 2nd team. Don't get beat up before the SEC gauntlet. Fine. Teams do it all the time by taking out the first team when the game is well in hand.

What Mullen did today was BS. No matter what your intentions or the opportunity, 60K+ people paid good money to come to Starkville to watch our team play football, not to watch Mullen experiment and slide out with a W. This was one of very few home games people pay hundreds to thousands of dollars to enjoy, and he jacked around for three hours.

I don't want Dak to get hurt. I want our 1B team or whatever you want to call it to get reps. I want us prepared for tough situations, but not on my dime Mullen. People don't load their families into cars and drive several hours to stand around in the heat and humidity and spend their hard earned money to watch the team practice.

One word: HOGWASH

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2014, 12:05 AM

Exactly. Amazing that some are incapable of understanding that.

OurState
09-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Exactly. Amazing that some are incapable of understanding that.

I hear you and its Dans team and he can do whatever he thinks is best.

Having said that, the rollout of the SEC network makes this one of the best jobs in the country. If he puts together a great year he could be here for a long time. He needs to be cognizant that we realize he was 3 plays from being 3-9 last year. Efforts like today remind of that. If he keeps winning we will forget, but if he doesn't put together a special season this year...

99jc
09-07-2014, 06:15 AM
I hear you and its Dans team and he can do whatever he thinks is best.

Having said that, the rollout of the SEC network makes this one of the best jobs in the country. If he puts together a great year he could be here for a long time. He needs to be cognizant that we realize he was 3 plays from being 3-9 last year. Efforts like today remind of that. If he keeps winning we will forget, but if he doesn't put together a special season this year...

A year to his sorry hardheaded ass. Quit 17ing around withis team take your humpback ass tdown to Brazil and find us a kicker. Then leave the first team in until we get up by 30. We own you boy and will send your Yankee ass to no coach land. Arrogant bastard wake up and smell the ro$es.

Mutt the Hoople
09-07-2014, 08:31 AM
A year to his sorry hardheaded ass. Quit 17ing around withis team take your humpback ass tdown to Brazil and find us a kicker. Then leave the first team in until we get up by 30. We own you boy and will send your Yankee ass to no coach land. Arrogant bastard wake up and smell the ro$es.
Yeah, firing a hard-headed coach really helped us with basketball.

IMissJack
09-07-2014, 08:55 AM
This is crazy talk! We are not going to fire a coach with a winning record because of how he substitutes.

EAVdog
09-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Some folks have gone full retard I see.

codeDawg
09-07-2014, 09:06 AM

I appreciate the win. I like Mullen, and appreciate him being here, but what he did on the field yesterday isn't the product I would expect MSU to be putting on the field at the price I pay for a ticket. That's it. It pretty much guaranteed I won't be traveling for the cupcakes if I have anything else better to do. Then you have to look at what you are paying for if you don't go see the cupcakes. Maybe 3-4 games / year instead of 7.

codeDawg
09-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Some folks have gone full retard I see.

Any talk of firing Mullen is stupid.

msstate7
09-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Seems our friends from up north have rubbed off on us. We're worried about style points now. Gotta admit that I wanted a complete domination, but maybe yesterday was a good thing. I bet will Redmond will be paying attention in practice this week. I'm sure our defense took a gut shot and won't be reading their headlines anymore. Dak got a reality check too in the passing game. We won. I think this week will lead to a major butt kicking for USA in their Super Bowl.

Dawg61
09-07-2014, 09:19 AM
You guys are bitching because you haven't seen the finished results yet. Williams, Shump, Graham, Holloway etc.. playing so much right now will only make all of them better much better later in the season when they are needed most. We are saving Dak and JRob from continued unnecessary punishment too. I will save being pissed about the rotating of players till he starts doing it in SEC games. Then I will get real pissed real quick. Till then I just chalk it up to Dan developing his players which he has a very nice track record of doing including and most significantly at the QB position. Dak the QB we all love so much is 100% Dan's boy. He has molded Dak into what he is today. Now Dak has a lot to say in that too but the point stands. Dan is developing the backups in games we will win anyways and we comfortably beat UAB yesterday even with giving up 3-4 stupid long touchdowns. Take away those bombs and we routed UAB.

MarketingBully01
09-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Seems our friends from up north have rubbed off on us. We're worried about style points now. Gotta admit that I wanted a complete domination, but maybe yesterday was a good thing. I bet will Redmond will be paying attention in practice this week. I'm sure our defense took a gut shot and won't be reading their headlines anymore. Dak got a reality check too in the passing game. We won. I think this week will lead to a major butt kicking for USA in their Super Bowl.

Let's also not forget Bill Clark is a heck of a coach for UAB. They have a couple of pieces on offense but their defense sucks.

I think had we not done the every other series thing with the QBs in the first half and had Dak in running our offense we would have scored a lot more then 26 in the first half and blown it out for subs in the second. I think we will be okay.

C222
09-07-2014, 09:26 AM

One of the worst posts I've ever seen. Congrats.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Take away those bombs and we routed UAB.

Take away Preston's one handed int for a td and it's a one possession game too. Works both ways.

MarketingBully01
09-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Take away Preston's one handed int for a td and it's a one possession game too. Works both ways.

Take away the QB swapping in the first half and we rout them....we can do this all day...

Dawg61
09-07-2014, 10:02 AM

UAB had 3 touchdowns scored on passes of 75 yards, 81 yards and 88 yards. Those are anomalies. We will score several more defensive touchdowns this year but I doubt we give up a single passing touchdown of 75 or longer the rest of the season. How much are people bitching if the score is 47-13.

fishwater99
09-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Take away the QB swapping in the first half and we rout them....we can do this all day...

But we didn't.

Dak needs quality reps with the first team early in the game

What other SEC coach does crap?

Coach34
09-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Why should Mullen apologize?

We were never in danger of losing
Fans complain that the blowouts were getting boring
We played alot of guys to see what they could do
We're 2-0 just as we expected to be
Prescott accounted for 5 TD's yesterday

If you're mad because we didnt blow them out and get style points- ok. Then just say it

Political Hack
09-07-2014, 11:21 AM
of anyone rolls CDM's house this week, I have $ on 99jc.

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 11:37 AM
of anyone rolls CDM's house this week, I have $ on 99jc.

Haha, that post of his was both one of the worst, yet most entertaining, posts I have read on here in a long time

codeDawg
09-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Why should Mullen apologize?

We were never in danger of losing
Fans complain that the blowouts were getting boring
We played alot of guys to see what they could do
We're 2-0 just as we expected to be
Prescott accounted for 5 TD's yesterday

If you're mad because we didnt blow them out and get style points- ok. Then just say it

It was a complete shit show and you know it. It wasn't a Croom style shit show where neither the players or the coaches knew what they were doing, but it was a glorified situational scrimmage. Most of all, it was't entertaining. At all. People don't pay thousands of dollars to watch the entire second string in the second series jacking around. This wasn't the spring game or an open practice. It was one of seven home games.

I like Mullen. I like what he is doing. I think we do have a really great team this year, but it's disrespectful to take the Saturday I invested in the team to screw around.

C222
09-07-2014, 03:39 PM
It was a complete shit show and you know it. It wasn't a Croom style shit show where neither the players or the coaches knew what they were doing, but it was a glorified situational scrimmage. Most of all, it was't entertaining. At all. People don't pay thousands of dollars to watch the entire second string in the second series jacking around. This wasn't the spring game or an open practice. It was one of seven home games.

I like Mullen. I like what he is doing. I think we do have a really great team this year, but it's disrespectful to take the Saturday I invested in the team to screw around.

I pay thousands of dollars to watch us win. I don't care how we do it. He doesn't have to apologize to me.

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 03:55 PM

So, scoring 47 points isn't enough, now we have to be entertaining with how we do it?

mstatefan91
09-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Yes Todd, we need to have flea flickers and fakes.

The problem was with the defense and special teams yesterday. The offensive play calling/gameplan didn't really have an affect on the outcome in this game, but it will in SEC play if it keeps up.

Coach34
09-07-2014, 08:21 PM
So, scoring 47 points isn't enough, now we have to be entertaining with how we do it?

exactly. I'm still not seeing what Mullen should apologize for? We scored 47 against a better team than what we played the week before. We had 500 yards of offense. Does he apologize for not having 600?

codeDawg
09-07-2014, 08:55 PM
exactly. I'm still not seeing what Mullen should apologize for? We scored 47 against a better team than what we played the week before. We had 500 yards of offense. Does he apologize for not having 600?

I'm really not sure that allowing your best MSU team in 15 years to get behind in a game against a team with an average recruiting rating of 100 or whatever it was is the best way to reward fans who pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time and effort coming to the game. #justysayin #kindashitty

RC3
09-07-2014, 08:57 PM
I don't feel like I'm owed an apology. Just a reasonable explanation.

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm really not sure that allowing your best MSU team in 15 years to get behind in a game against a team with an average recruiting rating of 100 or whatever it was is the best way to reward fans who pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time and effort coming to the game. #justysayin #kindashitty

That's ludicrous. Oh no- we fell behind and then STILL came back to win the game comfortably. That happens all the time in college football.

Do y'all even hear what you are saying? "I'm not happy because I paid money, spent a lot of time and effort and it wasn't entertaining enough." This is blowing my mind how people can be so selfish and petty.

What would you feel like if Dan brought the third string guys in the third quarter and then they hit on three bombs to make the score closer? Really, what's the difference? In that sense, Dan doing what he did actually made the game "more entertaining." Although, I'm sure that was an unintentional consequence and I'm not saying that's what he was going for at all- because it wasn't.

Todd4State
09-07-2014, 09:13 PM
I don't feel like I'm owed an apology. Just a reasonable explanation.

Dan has said over and over he is trying to build depth and wanted to put our back-ups in meaningful situations. Like Coach said, you may or may not agree with it.

RC3
09-07-2014, 09:20 PM
That's not a good enough explanation for me. But you're right; I'm beating a dead horse at this point. I disagree with it as do 99 percent of all other coaches who have ever coached the game

Statefan
09-07-2014, 09:23 PM
My only thought for why he subbed in the 2nd string so early -- he maybe wanted Damian to get snaps against UAB's first string during a crucial part of the game?

I think we would all have felt safer if he had waited for the blowout to put in the second string guys to get some experience, but potentially they benefit more from playing against UAB's first team rather than their scrubs

No idea, no thoughts if it is right or wrong, but just a thought as why he may have subbed so early

cheewgumm
09-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Apologize?!?!?
Apologize?!?!

We talkin 'bout apologizing? Apologizing. We sittn here talkin bout apologizin. Not winning..not being 2-0...apologizin. Apologize??! We sittn here talkin bout apologize...apologizin. Not winning. Apologizing.

Unreal, and apologize to who?

mstatefan91
09-07-2014, 09:46 PM
http://www.ngngsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/allen-iverson.jpg

bluelightstar
09-07-2014, 09:49 PM
That's not a good enough explanation for me. But you're right; I'm beating a dead horse at this point. I disagree with it as do 99 percent of all other coaches who have ever coached the game

That's my thing. I've never seen a college football coach do this.

RC3
09-07-2014, 09:52 PM
That's my thing. I've never seen a college football coach do this.

I said 99 percent but that's just on the off chance that I'm missing someone who has done it like this before. I seriously can't think of one. I know I don't know as much about football as dan Mullen. But there's a reason every single coach that I can think of handles it differently. I'll stick with overwhelming majority on this one.

hells bells
09-07-2014, 10:03 PM
I said 99 percent but that's just on the off chance that I'm missing someone who has done it like this before. I seriously can't think of one. I know I don't know as much about football as dan Mullen. But there's a reason every single coach that I can think of handles it differently. I'll stick with overwhelming majority on this one.

A win is a win. Think Coach Mullen is forward thinking by letting players get reps in actual games. When the SEC schedule starts they are ready if needed. Will say did not like our corners getting burned 3 times.