PDA

View Full Version : My takes from today. Not that they mean anything but somebody might agree.

Mjoelner34
09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
1. If we leave Dak in the entire first half and RTGDFB (minus his TD pass on the opening drive) this game is over by halftime.
2. Our kickers should, well, there's just too many bad things to say.
3. Fitz should be getting snaps instead of Williams. Outside of the OT TD run at Arky, he's done nothing. I'm betting Fitz and/or Staley pass him on the depth chart next year.
4. Our secondary looked lost on long passes but of course our front four got zero pressure on those plays too.
5. Overall, we have the most talented receiving core that I've ever seen at MSU.
6. Preston Smith? WOW!
7. J-Rob is a STUD and like many on this board said last year, should have gotten a lot more playing time last year.
8. Graham looked great back there returning punts.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-06-2014, 08:53 PM
I will agree on williams, the offense looks lost as shit with him in there.

ScoobaDawg
09-06-2014, 08:53 PM
i agree with everything ya say

Dawg61
09-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Burn the shirt with Fitz. Staley or Fitz might not be the QB leaving. Williams hasn't improved one bit since last year.

Saltydog
09-06-2014, 09:00 PM
9) Dan needs to quit subbing Dak after the second series
10) Dan needs to quit rotating the entire defensive units. Substitute individuals, not units.

yjnkdawg
09-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I agree too

blacklistedbully
09-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Don't think it's right for us to excuse Dak's miscues due to "Dan's substituitons", and not also cut Williams some slack. Y'all know damn well Williams got a helluva lot fewer snaps/first-team snaps than Dak, and Williams didn't get anywhere near the opportunity to overcome his miscues as did Dak.

I say let's lay off Williams and chalk it up to Dan's failed experiment. Dak's not the only QB who can suffer from a lack of continuity.

Dawg61
09-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Don't think it's right for us to excuse Dak's miscues due to "Dan's substituitons", and not also cut Williams some slack. Y'all know damn well Williams got a helluva lot fewer snaps/first-team snaps than Dak, and Williams didn't get anywhere near the opportunity to overcome his miscues as did Dak.

I say let's lay off Williams and chalk it up to Dan's failed experiment. Dak's not the only QB who can suffer from a lack of continuity.

Why are you protecting him so much? He was bad yesterday. We have two other QBs on the roster getting redshirted and two more very talented ones coming in next year. No way the Williams we saw yesterday is ahead of all four of them unless he starts playing a whole lot better very soon. Shutting our mouths and protecting Williams from criticism won't bring out his ceiling. His window of opportunity is closing and he needs to bust through it or he'll get left behind.

DudyDawg
09-07-2014, 09:47 AM
I don't think you can expect a backup to come in there and not miss a beat. He's a good backup. How quickly we forget that he kept us in Bama Arky and OM after riding the pine all year. That's not easy to do in the SEC.

maroonmania
09-07-2014, 12:33 PM
I don't think you can expect a backup to come in there and not miss a beat. He's a good backup. How quickly we forget that he kept us in Bama Arky and OM after riding the pine all year. That's not easy to do in the SEC.

Look, I don't want to down the guy but I don't want to sugarcoat things either. Williams, so far, hasn't shown me much. Last year Williams made a few pretty nice passes in the Bama game (most of which were dropped), then in Arky game made a good run in OT but the reason we won that game was the play of TYLER RUSSELL not the play of Williams. In the Egg Bowl, Williams led ONE TD drive of about 38 yards after an INT but other than that our offense was dead in the water for the most part. Without Dak coming in I have ZERO doubt we lose. I don't see them in practice every day but I certainly wouldn't have a problem going ahead and playing Fitz this year to see what he can do because, at this time, I feel like if we lose Dak we are pretty much toast.

DudyDawg
09-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Look, I don't want to down the guy but I don't want to sugarcoat things either. Williams, so far, hasn't shown me much. Last year Williams made a few pretty nice passes in the Bama game (most of which were dropped), then in Arky game made a good run in OT but the reason we won that game was the play of TYLER RUSSELL not the play of Williams. In the Egg Bowl, Williams led ONE TD drive of about 38 yards after an INT but other than that our offense was dead in the water for the most part. Without Dak coming in I have ZERO doubt we lose. I don't see them in practice every day but I certainly wouldn't have a problem going ahead and playing Fitz this year to see what he can do because, at this time, I feel like if we lose Dak we are pretty much toast.

Well I did say he kept us in those. Which he did. He didn't win them for us. He kept us in games when we needed it. And you can't ask for anything more from a third string qb popping his cherry in SEC ball having to start and play tons of minutes.

maroonmania
09-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Well I did say he kept us in those. Which he did. He didn't win them for us. He kept us in games when we needed it. And you can't ask for anything more from a third string qb popping his cherry in SEC ball having to start and play tons of minutes.

My take would be he that at least he didn't lose those games for us which he certainly could have with multiple turnovers but it was the excellent defensive play we had in both the Ark and OM games that kept us in them.

DudyDawg
09-07-2014, 01:15 PM
My take would be he that at least he didn't lose those games for us which he certainly could have with multiple turnovers but it was the excellent defensive play we had in both the Ark and OM games that kept us in them.

I agree with the defense. I just think that when a guy who's your number three guy who hasn't played in sec before has to come in and try to help get to a bowl, that "not losing it for us" is about as good as a realistic fan can ask for.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-07-2014, 01:28 PM
The strip by nickoe whitley is what won the arkansas game.

Coach34
09-07-2014, 01:58 PM
The strip by nickoe whitley is what won the arkansas game.

It was important- just like the UPig player's strip of Milton when we were inside their 5

Feeding JRob in the 2nd half is what won the UPig game

CadaverDawg
09-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Yea, the Damien love still feels extremely premature to me. I like him, and he made a few nice plays last year...but anybody thinking we would be ok with him at the helm anytime soon, is lying to themselves.

blacklistedbully
09-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Why are you protecting him so much? He was bad yesterday. We have two other QBs on the roster getting redshirted and two more very talented ones coming in next year. No way the Williams we saw yesterday is ahead of all four of them unless he starts playing a whole lot better very soon. Shutting our mouths and protecting Williams from criticism won't bring out his ceiling. His window of opportunity is closing and he needs to bust through it or he'll get left behind.

I'm referring to the hypocrisy. There seems to be a rush by many to explain away Dak's mistakes on Dan not letting him get into a rhythm. But we're not offering Damien the same courtesy, and he's had less chance to develop a rhythm than Dak.

bobcat91
09-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Kickers are a strange bunch. Not naming Sobiesk the starter I think is killing his confidence. Name him the starter and give him several games to show what he can do.

Dawg61
09-08-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm referring to the hypocrisy. There seems to be a rush by many to explain away Dak's mistakes on Dan not letting him get into a rhythm. But we're not offering Damien the same courtesy, and he's had less chance to develop a rhythm than Dak.

True but we know what we've got in Dak. We don't with Williams and his window of opportunity is closing fast. Opportunities are not always ideal for backups but they must overcome that and cease the moment or they might never get it again. Williams isn't ceasing the moment. He must get it done now and he's not. You're focusing on Williams and giving him more time/chance but what I am trying to say is that the longer we stay with Williams as the 2 the less chance Fitz gets to show what he's got. What if Fitz can provide a serious weapon with his legs right now (which I think he can) and it helps us to be a better team THIS YEAR. Is Fitz going to get snaps when we add in Staley, Tiano and Virgil to the mix? Maybe but it's certainly more difficult to just give him snaps then to find out what we've got. Now is the time for Fitz. I am not saying push Williams out but I am more focused on seeing Fitz now before Fitz gets buried on the depth chart and we've never had the chance to see which it feels like is exactly the path we're headed down right now.

blacklistedbully
09-08-2014, 08:10 PM
True but we know what we've got in Dak. We don't with Williams and his window of opportunity is closing fast. Opportunities are not always ideal for backups but they must overcome that and cease the moment or they might never get it again. Williams isn't ceasing the moment. He must get it done now and he's not. You're focusing on Williams and giving him more time/chance but what I am trying to say is that the longer we stay with Williams as the 2 the less chance Fitz gets to show what he's got. What if Fitz can provide a serious weapon with his legs right now (which I think he can) and it helps us to be a better team THIS YEAR. Is Fitz going to get snaps when we add in Staley, Tiano and Virgil to the mix? Maybe but it's certainly more difficult to just give him snaps then to find out what we've got. Now is the time for Fitz. I am not saying push Williams out but I am more focused on seeing Fitz now before Fitz gets buried on the depth chart and we've never had the chance to see which it feels like is exactly the path we're headed down right now.

It's not that I'm saying Damien deserves more time and/or opportunity than another player. I am literally just commenting on some of our fan's willingness to give Dak a pass for reasons that also exist, and on a larger scale for Damien. Some want to blame Dan for Dak's mistakes, but prefer to hold Damien accountable himself, even though he may have it worse than Dak for the things we're putting on Dan.