PDA

View Full Version : Will, need some sabermetrics on Renfroe

The Croom Diaries
05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't like evaluating pitchers with sabermetrics but I do give some validity to evaluating hitters so I'm not antagonizing you. To that point, you mentioned Henderson would break out of his slump soon because his batting average on balls in play was remarkably low. Sure enough he is getting some balls through the infield and coming up big lately. So, do you have the same stats on Renfroe? What do the stats say - is he due to come back to being his old self soon?

Will James
05-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Hunter's SEC BABIP is .341 which is above the team average of .328. His overall BABIP is .361 which is above the team average of .347.

He's slumping not because balls are finding fielders but because he has had a terrible approach the last few weeks and isn't seeing the ball right now.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't like evaluating pitchers with sabermetrics but I do give some validity to evaluating hitters so I'm not antagonizing you. To that point, you mentioned Henderson would break out of his slump soon because his batting average on balls in play was remarkably low. Sure enough he is getting some balls through the infield and coming up big lately. So, do you have the same stats on Renfroe? What do the stats say - is he due to come back to being his old self soon?

Not Will...but BABIP is a pretty easy stat to calculate on your own.

BABIP = (H-HR) / (AB-K-HR+SF)

So I think his BABIP is .361 and he is hitting .355.

The Croom Diaries
05-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Hunter's SEC BABIP is .341 which is above the team average of .328. His overall BABIP is .361 which is above the team average of .347.

He's slumping not because balls are finding fielders but because he has had a terrible approach the last few weeks and isn't seeing the ball right now.

Well I meant in the last two weeks. Obviously it will look good over the course of the entire season.

I do agree on the reason he is slumping, I was just wondering about what the stats say.

Coach34
05-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Yep- his approach at the plate has been shit lately. He is simply pressing.

Coach34's hitting advice- relax, think about hitting the ball from gap to gap. Take some pitches- but dont make it obvious you are being less aggressive earlier in counts. Look to inside out everything with 2 strikes right now and you will be right more times than wrong with the way people are pitching him. That also allowsyou to wait a little longer and you are less likely to be fooled

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-23-2013, 12:11 PM
If you are only looking at 2 weeks of AB's that won't tell you very much.

The Croom Diaries
05-23-2013, 12:15 PM

It could. If say he had put the ball in play 25 times and only gotten 4 hits then his average would be .160 - so you might say he's due to break out. But that really would apply if he's hitting the ball hard and he really is not hitting it nearly as hard as before, a lot of pop ups. However, Henderson never hits the ball hard and Will's stat on him seemed to work. Just looking for glimmer of hope to hang the ole hat on. Didn't find it. Moving on.

Will James
05-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Yes

FFF
05-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Yep- his approach at the plate has been shit lately. He is simply pressing.

Coach34's hitting advice- relax, think about hitting the ball from gap to gap. Take some pitches- but dont make it obvious you are being less aggressive earlier in counts. Look to inside out everything with 2 strikes right now and you will be right more times than wrong with the way people are pitching him. That also allowsyou to wait a little longer and you are less likely to be fooled

Exactly. Pitchers are developing a pretty definite pattern in the way they pitch him... Fastball inside for a strike, then breaking ball down in the zone... And he has swung at that second pitch A LOT. I agree... Look to take the first few pitches, but if you get something, look to put it in play. Nothing more.

It's easy to tell how much more pressure he puts on himself in big situations and he's trying too hard to guess right and crush a ball instead of relaxing and using the tools you have to put the ball in play. His lack of approach right now is leading to those pop ups in foul territory. Gets in a hole (0-2, 1-2) and tries to fight his way out if it only looking to get it long.

Will James
05-23-2013, 01:30 PM
In the month of May Renfroe has a .250 BABIP. A small sample size like this would have to have a MUCH more extreme low to mean anything. Like .100 or below. One more hit would bump that number up 25 points which is why you can't do the small sample sizes for BABIP.